Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #951
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I do feel bad for Tebow, though. As bad as a QB dude is, he doesn't deserve that mess.

Haha. I can already see this storyline unfolding.

Sanchez starts out shitty like always so out of desperation Rex starts Tebow. The Jets start winning some 10-7 games and Tebow is the new Lin of NYC.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #952
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Tebow in NY? and you thought ESPN were in full circle jerk mode before
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #953
molson
General Manager

And at least if the football thing doesn't work out they can do a reality show. "Tebow and Sanchez" - they'd be roommates in a Brooklyn flat. Imagine the shenanigans as Sanchez bring home borderline-legal groupies as Tebow tries to inspire him to lead a better life.

Last edited by molson : 03-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #954
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, I don't understand what the suspensions mean. Is Payton out for just the season (16 games)? BFD that the GM gets to oversee the draft and pre-season, but then sits home for the first 8 games. The team's largely put together by then.

I'd like to see some clarification of what this means.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #955
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Payton is a year-long suspension starting 4/1, as I understand.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 03-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #956
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I bet the NFL has a pretty good idea of this.

EDIT: Just like spygate, the NFL is under no obligation to reveal to the public the complete details of their investigation.

Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind they are dropping Thor's hammer on a "program" that didn't accomplish anything that the NFL quotes on. (No QBs carted off, none knocked out for the game.) And a defense that didn't show a pattern over those years of being unusually dirty on the field. So without a carry through of what the NFL talks about in its press releases (the PRs talking only about bounties on QBs and money for cart offs and players knocked out of the game) the NFL basically is doing its best to destroy a whole team for a year based on "player talk" and the presence of an incentive program.

And you are really sure the NFL wouldn't go hard without good evidence against the coaches and management? I'm not.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #957
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind they are dropping Thor's hammer on a "program" that didn't accomplish anything that the NFL quotes on. (No QBs carted off, none knocked out for the game.) And a defense that didn't show a pattern over those years of being unusually dirty on the field. So without a carry through of what the NFL talks about in its press releases (the PRs talking only about bounties on QBs and money for cart offs and players knocked out of the game) the NFL basically is doing its best to destroy a whole team for a year based on "player talk" and the presence of an incentive program.

And you are really sure the NFL wouldn't go hard without good evidence against the coaches and management? I'm not.

Shut up already with your excuses.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #958
Logan
Head Coach

Listening to Francesa going nuts over this is great entertainment.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #959
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

If they don't have good evidence they risk getting sued. They know a lot more about what happened than we do. They have to set a baseline to make sure this stuff doesn't happen again.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #960
molson
General Manager

Here's the full release from the NFL - it sounds like Payton lying about everything may have contributed to the suspension.

Full release from the NFL on Sean Payton's suspension, other sanctions - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com

Edit: I think the smarter approach is generally to admit the facts you know they'll find out anyway, but argue the interpretation of the law. I think that helped Belichick avoid a suspension.

Last edited by molson : 03-21-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #961
Ksyrup

Ah, I see the official release. A full year for Payton.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #962
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Listening to Francesa going nuts over this is great entertainment.

He's got a point. The Jets come into 2012 irrelevant in NY. Now they're not.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #963
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Shut up already with your excuses.

ha, what? I'm sorry sir, I am not Gregg Williams, and I have no excuses for you.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #964
Logan
Head Coach

Listening to Boomer and Carton yesterday, right when the first Tebow to the Jets news started out, Carton made a great point...can you imagine Santonio Holmes reacting to Tebow?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #965
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, I don't understand what the suspensions mean. Is Payton out for just the season (16 games)? BFD that the GM gets to oversee the draft and pre-season, but then sits home for the first 8 games. The team's largely put together by then.

I'd like to see some clarification of what this means.

Well, they don't get paid.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #966
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Here's the full release from the NFL - it sounds like Payton lying about everything may have contributed to the suspension.

Full release from the NFL on Sean Payton's suspension, other sanctions - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com

Just saw that myself. The full year makes more sense when you take into account that Payton got caught in at least one lie.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #967
molson
General Manager

I'm sure the Saints will use an assistant as an interim coach but this would be a fun spot for a older HOF-type coach to come in for one year and try to win a super bowl.

Last edited by molson : 03-21-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #968
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Tebow doesn't fit the Jets personality-wise. It's going to be epic.

Tebow+Ryan+Cromartie+whichever crazy receivers they keep around?

Classic.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #969
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm sure the Saints will use an assistant as an interim coach but this would be a fun spot for a older HOF-type coach to come in for one year and try to win a super bowl.

Vitt would have been the guy, now its up in the air. But still, in-house does seem far more likely.

But.. the former NFL head coach that has been the closest with the Saints over the last few years, and not just because of his media duties, has been Jon Gruden. So if you see anything like that happen, Gruden would be the best bet for a wildcard.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #970
Logan
Head Coach

As I said in another post earlier, even at the height of the Tebow phenomenon, the NYC media for the most part weren't buyers. I think it will be really interesting to see how they play it. They may try to go for the kill.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #971
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So... are we back to the Ain'ts?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #972
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I would love to be a fly on the wall after Rex goes on one of this locker room tirades, and Tebow asks, "Coach Ryan, could you not use the Lord's name in vain?"
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #973
Kodos
Resident Alien

When does news about specific players come out?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #974
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
So... are we back to the Ain'ts?

Nah.

They lose their head coach for a year and GM for 8 months but they arent losing any players and since they didnt have a 1st round pick to lose they lost 2 2nds. I dont see it as being the end of the world for them. Brees running the offense will leave them in fine shape without the guru Payton.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #975
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Nah.

They lose their head coach for a year and GM for 8 months but they arent losing any players and since they didnt have a 1st round pick to lose they lost 2 2nds. I dont see it as being the end of the world for them. Brees running the offense will leave them in fine shape without the guru Payton.

The players aren't out of the woods yet.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #976
Logan
Head Coach

Guys, Antonio Cromartie doesn't like the Tebow trade.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #977
molson
General Manager

Quote:
As I said in another post earlier, even at the height of the Tebow phenomenon, the NYC media for the most part weren't buyers. I think it will be really interesting to see how they play it. They may try to go for the kill.

Ya, I could actually see Tebow becoming somewhat anonymous as a backup/goal-line QB, especially if Sanchez plays OK.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #978
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The players aren't out of the woods yet.

Oh ok. I guess I wasnt sure about that. I was thinking this was basically the final punishment.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #979
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

haha, Francesa calling out the Jets saying they are jealous of the Giants and desperate to get the back pages. Gold!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #980
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I get you are defending your team, but just because they didn't show results of additional violence on the field doesn't mean it is ok to run a bounty program. They are being punished for the intent, not the results.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #981
molson
General Manager

And I'm sure the punishments would be a lot worse for everyone involved if a bounty was specifically tied to someone's career ending or something.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #982
Rizon
Pro Starter

The Dolphins and Jags weren't willing to give up more than 4th rounder? I'd have thought the Phins would toss in the tomb of Flipper or something, plus some 1st rounders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 03-21-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #983
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I get you are defending your team, but just because they didn't show results of additional violence on the field doesn't mean it is ok to run a bounty program. They are being punished for the intent, not the results.

Oh I agree completely. Just wasn't sure about a years suspension for it. But, seeing that the NFL claim is that Payton lied at least once about its knowledge, it is more understandable.

I do wonder how consistency will hold up when comparing current and future suspensions in this case to players doing things on the field in the past with CLEAR intent to harm far outside of the whistle and action of the play, and no player in such circumstances ever getting multi-game suspensions. (That I can remember?)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #984
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Brees running the offense will leave them in fine shape without the guru Payton.

If I'm Brees there is no way I'm sticking around in New Orleans...get the 9ers or the Cards on the horn, please!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #985
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Haynesworth was suspended five games for his stomp.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #986
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
If I'm Brees there is no way I'm sticking around in New Orleans...get the 9ers or the Cards on the horn, please!!

He's been franchised.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #987
Logan
Head Coach

Part of the Jets problem has been how they've used draft picks to move up in drafts (with lackluster results) and have used picks to trade for veterans (same), which has seriously impacted depth and by extension, is leading to below average starters in some key positions. So they use a 4th and a 6th on Tebow (getting a 7th back)...okay, you're throwing away a couple picks on a backup, and even if you don't use those picks specifically on building up your roster, why not use that 4th rounder to bump your 3rd rounder (maybe even your 2nd) up some slots in order to get a player that could step in and compete for a starting job?

The desire for flash and "to impress" is going to kill anything this franchise could have accomplished...although I believe their window has closed already.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #988
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I think that would likely tarnish his legacy. He came to the franchise and resurected them, and helped resurect the spirit of the city. For him to bolt now because of some adversity would seem out of character. Althought I can't say I would blame him.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #989
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Haynesworth was suspended five games for his stomp.

Good one. There probably isn't a long history of those suspensions because, bounty or not, hate for the opposition or not, you really don't need to go outside of the rules to hurt someone. Just don't exchange money over it and you are golden!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #990
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He doesnt have much choice. And really I dont see it as ending the Saints season. Brees knows the offense that Payton taught him. If they were trying to teach an entire new offense the system I would be worried but Brees is just like Peyton Manning with the Colts in that he could be the offensive coordinator of that team.

Payton is a hell of a coach but these players they have know the system so well it shouldnt cause them to suddenly not remember what they are doing.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-21-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #991
Ksyrup

Awesome!

@tules486: @awfulannouncing NY is in #Linbow.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #992
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Awesome!

@tules486: @awfulannouncing NY is in #Linbow.

ROFL.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #993
Ksyrup

Quote:
Guys, Antonio Cromartie doesn't like the Tebow trade.

@bustedcoverage I heard Tebow was going to start an orphanage for all of Antonio Cromartie's illegitimate kids.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #994
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I am going to pretend that the Jets just traded a 4th and a 6th for a 600 yard 24 year old running back and a 7th round pick. It sounds better to me this way.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #995
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

And it begins:

ESPN poll about NYJ starting QB
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #996
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Pac-12 area still loves Sanchez.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #997
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
the NFL claim is that Payton lied at least once about its knowledge

They showed him an email that contradicted his denial of knowing about the program, and he then admitted it:

"10. When interviewed in 2012, Sean Payton claimed to be entirely unaware of the program, a claim contradicted by others. Further, prior to the Saints' opening game in 2011, Coach Payton received an email from a close associate that stated in part, "PS Greg Williams put me down for $5000 on Rogers (sic)." When shown the email during the course of the investigation, Coach Payton stated that it referred to a "bounty" on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers."

The entire NFL release is at:

Pretty much everyone suspended has admitted their roles - this is clearly not a case of the NFL not knowing what went on.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #998
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He doesnt have much choice. And really I dont see it as ending the Saints season. Brees knows the offense that Payton taught him. If they were trying to teach an entire new offense the system I would be worried but Brees is just like Peyton Manning with the Colts in that he could be the offensive coordinator of that team.

Payton is a hell of a coach but these players they have know the system so well it shouldnt cause them to suddenly not remember what they are doing.

If Brees doesn't get the extension he's looking for I bet he stays home this season and watches with Payton and the rest of his suspended teammates.

So, if the Saints aren't willing to pay him then they best be on the phone with somebody who will so they don't lose their franchise QB next season for nothing.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 03-21-2012 at 12:57 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #999
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

The Saints still have to sign Brees right?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #1000
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He's been franchised.

Second time in two days this has been mentioned. Maybe we should put it in the thread title, a la Generalissimo Franco, i.e. "Drew Brees is STILL franchised".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote