Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #951
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The article I saw said that he graded out poorly in passing situations and was essentially neutral in running situations. I'm guessing he is still a starting caliber-type of guard, but not a $7.5-million worthy player.

Huh, I might have caught him at his best last year then. When I saw him he still looked good in the run blocking, as opposed to Steve Hutchinson who looked like a shadow of his former run blocking self last year.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #952
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Huh, I might have caught him at his best last year then. When I saw him he still looked good in the run blocking, as opposed to Steve Hutchinson who looked like a shadow of his former run blocking self last year.

Yeah -- I can honestly say that, other than the playoff games, I did not watch much of the Jets last season, so I don't know much beyone the short article I read today. It kind of insinuated that his run blocking was no longer good enough to "carry" his pass blocking and that his Pro Bowl bid was based on reputation more than performance.

I still wouldn't mind having him back w/ the Steelers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #953
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think ben gets 8 games. After the latest bunch of shit got released, he is maybe worth a 4th round pick. If it is 8 games, they will probably sever ties once it is over with.

I looked over the schedule a little while ago and the Steelers have no primetime games until week 7 (including a game against the Ravens, which are almost always Sunday or Monday night), I believe. That, to me, indicates that he would be back by week 7.

I'm really surprised that he is going to get nailed this hard, but it seems to be pretty widely anticipated around the news media and they made the deal for Leftwich, so I guess it is pretty likely that he is getting 3-4 minimum.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #954
Thomkal
Head Coach

well my prediction of an Eagles/Redskins Week 17 game didn't turn out so well-in fact their last game is a Monday night game in week 10. And I think they don't play the Giants until Week 13 and then last game of the year. Not a big fan of that.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #955
stevew
Hall Of Famer

swaggs-Dennis Dixon is switching to #10. Nothing good can come from this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #956
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Schefter saying it will be 4 to 6 games with conditions.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #957
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
swaggs-Dennis Dixon is switching to #10. Nothing good can come from this.

What better? Kordell or Santonio?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #958
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What better? Kordell or Santonio?

What better? Doing a UPS man in Schenley Park or smoking dope?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #959
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What better? Doing a UPS man in Schenley Park or smoking dope?

What worse? Smoking dope or hitting bar girl in face with glass?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #960
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What worse? Smoking dope or hitting bar girl in face with glass?

Or having a horrible growth on your neck.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #961
mckerney
Coordinator

Oakland is going to cut JaMarcus Russell. It's a shame that Al Davis didn't have anyone there to tell him drafting Russell may not be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Davis
I realized that you did not want to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player. Get over it.

Oh...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #962
Thomkal
Head Coach

As expected, Pittsburgh West..er...Arizona signed G Alan Faneca to a 1 year deal. In somewhat of a shocking move, the Panthers have traded S Chris Harris back to the Chicago Bears for LB Jamar Williams. I thought Harris did a good job for Carolina, so a bit surprised to see him traded.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #963
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
In somewhat of a shocking move, the Panthers have traded S Chris Harris back to the Chicago Bears for LB Jamar Williams. I thought Harris did a good job for Carolina, so a bit surprised to see him traded.

Sweet! I thought that trading Harris to the Panthers was a mistake in the first place, and looking at the Bears' safety play since that move pretty much proves the point. Glad to see him back!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #964
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Harris did fine as a Panther, but they are now deep at safety and thin at LB as part of their youth movement.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #965
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Source: Ryan Clady tore patellar tendon playing basketball | ProFootballTalk.com

Oof.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #966
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Damn...

I wonder if they want to give the Saints a 2nd round pick for Jamaal Brown...
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #967
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Santonio Holmes reportedly removed from plane last night for failing to turn off his iPod. LOL
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #968
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Santonio Holmes reportedly removed from plane last night for failing to turn off his iPod. LOL

What a moron.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #969
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Favre's ankle now needs serious surgery and he's mulling retirement again. Surprisingly, he'll elect for the surgery and end up being 100% around the third week of August. Wait, then he'll miss most of training camp - darn!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #970
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Seeing as the kind of season Favre had last year (awesome, career year) I think and hope he comes back one last time. I'm not a vikings fan, but they were a real treat to watch last season for anyone a fan of the NFL or football in general.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #971
Travis
Pro Rookie

Walter Jones retired yesterday and the Seahawks immediately retired #71 (only the second player number retired by the team).

5,703 pass attempts over 13 seasons, according to coaches stats, Walter Jones was called for holding 9 times and surrendered 23 sacks.

13 seasons, 9 pro bowls, 7 all pros and likely should have been the MVP in 2005 instead of Alexander.

Just a shame that he never got a ring and that his career was ended more so by injuries than anything else. A truly great career though.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #972
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

More on Holmes:

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5151435

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #973
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote from the report:

"On Thursday April 29, 2010 at 21:00 hours, aircom requested officers to gate D-77 for a report of an incident aboard the aircraft no other information was available," the report states. "Myself and Officer [redacted] arrived and spoke to flight attendant [redacted] of Colgan Air who stated that a passenger wouldn't turn off his ipod when requested to do so and requested officers to speak to him"

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-30-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #974
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Walter Jones retired yesterday and the Seahawks immediately retired #71 (only the second player number retired by the team).

5,703 pass attempts over 13 seasons, according to coaches stats, Walter Jones was called for holding 9 times and surrendered 23 sacks.

13 seasons, 9 pro bowls, 7 all pros and likely should have been the MVP in 2005 instead of Alexander.

Just a shame that he never got a ring and that his career was ended more so by injuries than anything else. A truly great career though.
My favorite all-time player and one of the best to play the game. We'll miss you Walt...but nobody as much as Hasselbeck has.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #975
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Favre's ankle now needs serious surgery and he's mulling retirement again. Surprisingly, he'll elect for the surgery and end up being 100% around the third week of August. Wait, then he'll miss most of training camp - darn!

What I don't get is him waiting 3 months to finally see a doctor.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #976
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
What I don't get is him waiting 3 months to finally see a doctor.

Because it's a way to miss training camp without headlining sportscenter for a month.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #977
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Why did Kirk Morrison get trade by teh Raiders? Did he wear out his welcome, did he have problems with teammates ,what was going on ther?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #978
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Because it's a way to miss training camp without headlining sportscenter for a month.

LOL at the idea that Brett Favre does not want to lead sportscenter.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #979
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like Limas Sweed tore his ACL.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #980
stevew
Hall Of Famer

oh snap. At least now he can't drop TD passes.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #981
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

this is the kind of player I'd love to have on my team

"The Associated Press reports linebacker Rolando McClain led Alabama last season in tackles, big hits and hours spent studying football. So when the Oakland Raiders drafted him in the first round with the No. 8 overall choice, McClain did what any serious student of the game would do before his first big NFL test: start studying for the three-day mandatory minicamp. "The day after I got drafted, I called looking for a playbook, something to look over, some DVDs and the playbook," McClain said after his first minicamp practice with the Raiders. "I didn't waste any time." McClain said the Raiders quickly shipped him some material to study. Then when he arrived for minicamp, Raiders coach Tom Cable immediately plugged him into his defense at middle linebacker with the first-team. "I thought very poised and he seemed to adapt to being able to go in and call the huddle right away," Cable said. "He's been here really less than 24 hours. It shows the level of intelligence this young has, his background. He was very impressive that way. Now, he's got to learn how to play in our defense."

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-03-2010 at 03:58 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #982
Danny
Head Coach

Thank God the Raiders did something right.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #983
Danny
Head Coach

I still think it's funny hearing Kiper blast the Raiders again after picking McClain because he wanted them to pick Claussen.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #984
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
this is the kind of player I'd love to have on my team

"The Associated Press reports linebacker Rolando McClain led Alabama last season in tackles, big hits and hours spent studying football. So when the Oakland Raiders drafted him in the first round with the No. 8 overall choice, McClain did what any serious student of the game would do before his first big NFL test: start studying for the three-day mandatory minicamp. "The day after I got drafted, I called looking for a playbook, something to look over, some DVDs and the playbook," McClain said after his first minicamp practice with the Raiders. "I didn't waste any time." McClain said the Raiders quickly shipped him some material to study. Then when he arrived for minicamp, Raiders coach Tom Cable immediately plugged him into his defense at middle linebacker with the first-team. "I thought very poised and he seemed to adapt to being able to go in and call the huddle right away," Cable said. "He's been here really less than 24 hours. It shows the level of intelligence this young has, his background. He was very impressive that way. Now, he's got to learn how to play in our defense."

im more convinced than ever that Al Davis thought the draft started on saturday and his coaches and GM secretly made the picks
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #985
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
im more convinced than ever that Al Davis thought the draft started on saturday and his coaches and GM secretly made the picks

HAHAHAHA

Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #986
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

And yet Davis is still fooled as he thinks he selected Bruce Campbell at the top of round 1 and then moved up to get speedster Jacoby Ford in the middle of the first.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #987
Danny
Head Coach

And thankfully he is not able to operate the internets.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #988
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
And yet Davis is still fooled as he thinks he selected Bruce Campbell at the top of round 1 and then moved up to get speedster Jacoby Ford in the middle of the first.

Well I wouldn't use either as amazing examples. Ford is really fast but it's straight line speed. When you watch him play games he is not 4.3 fast. He plays much slower and very robotic.

Campbell was a good developmental pick but I liked Valdheer better. Campbell should be a good OG in the future, but he again is a combine wonder who is very raw.

I love what Oakland did but I think some of it is comparatively speaking to my expectations on what they might have done. There first three picks were damn solid though.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #989
Danny
Head Coach

I actually very much like the Campbell pick since it was round 4 and I don't mind the Ford pick either since again it was round 4 and he should help on returns and in the slot.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #990
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I actually can completely believe that the Raiders' staff purposefully neglected to tell Al Davis that the draft started on Thursday this year.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #991
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pacman Jones + Bengals = a match made in heaven
Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #992
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I just read that story, unbelievable.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #993
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I just read that story, unbelievable.

It's really almost like...it was destined to be. I think he might possibly make it through one year before he gets booted out of the league...but if so it'll only be because something happens in say...late october and the commish won't take action until an investigation is done and the season is over for the bengals.

Over/Under for "Date of incident that gets him in trouble with league office" (regardless of when it comes to light, when it occurs).

I'll take October 26 and the under.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #994
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Dec 1st over
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #995
MrBug708
Head Coach

Surprise Surprise

Saggy tits on the Texans, Brian Cushing, was suspended 4 games for steroid use
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #996
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Surprise Surprise

No way!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #997
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Surprise Surprise

Least surprising suspension ever. And that is saying something for the NFL.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #998
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Goodell needs to suspend the jackass who signs all these thugs for the Bengals
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #999
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

AN NFL SUPERSTAR'S REPULSIVE BEHAVIOR, THE ULTIMATE - 05.10.10 - SI Vault

Quote:

As well as Roethlisberger has played—and there's no disputing he's one of the league's elite quarterbacks—his off-the-field reputation has spiraled downward since a horrific motorcycle accident in June 2006, five months after he became the youngest QB to lead a team to the title. Roethlisberger was riding his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle, helmetless and without a permit, in downtown Pittsburgh when he collided with a Chrysler New Yorker. Roethlisberger hit the windshield, rolled over the roof of the car and struck the ground headfirst. He suffered a broken jaw and nose and underwent seven hours of surgery. "If I ever ride again," he said afterward, "it certainly will be with a helmet."

A few months after the accident, a reporter and a cameraman for KDKA-TV, the CBS affiliate that broadcasts Steelers games, were driving on I-376 in Pittsburgh when they saw two men on motorcycles and recognized one as Roethlisberger, who was not wearing a helmet. They began shooting footage, which showed Roethlisberger giving them the finger as he sped away, but the video never aired. The station's news director at the time, John Verrilli, and its current assistant news director, Anne Linaberger, deny that any such tape existed, but several people who saw the video gave SI similar accounts of the tape; sources believe the story was killed out of fear that it would damage KDKA's relationship with the Steelers. "If we had been the other affiliate [which doesn't broadcast the games]," says one of the people who saw the tape, "it would have been A-1 news." (A neighbor who lives near Roethlisberger in a tony section of Gibsonia, Pa., but did not want to be named has also seen the quarterback on his motorcycle. "I've never seen him with a helmet," the neighbor said.)

Interesting article. Guy sounds not only like a jackass, but also an absolute idiot.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #1000
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So Cushing was taking the same stuff that got Manny Ramirez banned for 50 games? Does that mean he's now subject to the same mocking that MR got for being on a women's fertility drug?