Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #951
bbor
Pro Starter

Fid.....you answered your own question there.He is 29 year old UFA,i think Burke does'nt plan on carrying anyone who will be too old to help him in 3 or 4 years when the team is competetive.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #952
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Fid.....you answered your own question there.He is 29 year old UFA,i think Burke does'nt plan on carrying anyone who will be too old to help him in 3 or 4 years when the team is competetive.

Ah I see, I didn't realise he was a UFA, that makes all the difference. He'll be a rental then for a contender.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #953
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post

He'll only be 32-33 in 3 or 4 years! That's "too old" to help the Leafs? He'll still be a few years from his prime then!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #954
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
He'll only be 32-33 in 3 or 4 years! That's "too old" to help the Leafs? He'll still be a few years from his prime then!

lol
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #955
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
If you want a guy to take off his lid, you can't jump him and try for a bear hug right off the bat.

Point is if Phaneuf is going to play the role of "head hunter" then he shouldn't be wearing the shield to begin with.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #956
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Bob Mackenzie is reporting that the following teams are interested in Kovalchuk: Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia, Calgary, Chicago and L.A.

It will be really interesting to see where he goes, what Atlanta will get for him and if the team who gets him already has an extension worked out.

L.A. seems to make the most sense to me, but I guess it comes down to which team makes the Thrashers the best offer.

The Blackhawks would seem to make the littlest sense. I'm not sure why they'd make such a drastic move at this point in the season for a winger, even one as talented as Kovalchuk.

Can the Thrasher's franchise survive this?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-03-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #957
Pyser
Pro Rookie

no way the devils get kovy. rangers cant afford him either, youd think. nor philly. to me that leaves calgary, boston and la. youd think if calgary were in the running phaneuf wouldve been involved, though.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #958
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hitchcock out
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #959
Galaxy
Coordinator

Heard that Ray Whitney to the Kings is pretty much almost a done deal. However, Ray wants a 3-year extension in order to waive his no-trade clause. It sounds like they're working out the details (perhaps an extension that is heavily front-loaded?).

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-03-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #960
Pyser
Pro Rookie

isnt he 37? so the entire deal would be guaranteed? thats a tough pill to swallow for a kings team thats gonna have to start paying these kids soon...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #961
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Islanders waived Brendan Witt. I've always been a fan of his, but I really don't think he's worth $3 million a year (signed throug next year).
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #962
samifan24
Pro Starter

Any Avs fans here? What's the deal with this Brandon Yip kid and when will he stop scoring goals?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #963
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bob Mackenzie is reporting that the following teams are interested in Kovalchuk: Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia, Calgary, Chicago and L.A.

It will be really interesting to see where he goes, what Atlanta will get for him and if the team who gets him already has an extension worked out.

L.A. seems to make the most sense to me, but I guess it comes down to which team makes the Thrashers the best offer.

The Blackhawks would seem to make the littlest sense. I'm not sure why they'd make such a drastic move at this point in the season for a winger, even one as talented as Kovalchuk.

Can the Thrasher's franchise survive this?

I don't agree with it, but can understand the Hawks thinking a little.

The must move (dump) some players in the offseason. If they are losing say at least 2 of Sharp, Versteeg, and Barker in July, you move them in March for 3 months of Kovalchuk if you think that moves puts you over the top.

Again, I don't agree with it, I think Sharp and Versteeg are the type of secondary players you need in the playoffs, Kovalchuk is not that type. He's redundant on a team with Kane and Hossa.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #964
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
hitchcock out

Finally.

Now, can someone find Craig MacTavish and lock him up until after the Jackets decide on a new coach. Thanks.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #965
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Finally.

Now, can someone find Craig MacTavish and lock him up until after the Jackets decide on a new coach. Thanks.

No no no, the Oilers need MacT hired somewhere prior to the deadline so we can trade Horcoff to his new team.

Pretty pretty please.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #966
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Finally.

There are rumors swirling around the city that he's having health issues. Don't know what or how severe or even if the rumors are remotely true.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #967
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
No no no, the Oilers need MacT hired somewhere prior to the deadline so we can trade Horcoff to his new team.

Pretty pretty please.

Sounds like something Howson would do.

I'm really hoping for Kevin Dineen, former CBJ player coaching for Portland in the AHL.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #968
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
There are rumors swirling around the city that he's having health issues. Don't know what or how severe or even if the rumors are remotely true.

Who? Horc, MacT or Hitch? So far I haven't seen any mention of any of those guys from all the talking heads on twitter other than Hitch of course being turfed.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #969
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of dumb that HSBC Arena doesn't have an overhead view of the goal nets. It should be mandatory in every arena.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #970
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Who? Horc, MacT or Hitch? So far I haven't seen any mention of any of those guys from all the talking heads on twitter other than Hitch of course being turfed.

MacT...I've seen a few comments about him being ill on some of the oiler blog sites...again, nothing concrete but he also hasn't been on any of the TSN broadcasts lately (or that I've noticed) so I'm inclined to believe that something's up.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #971
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm really hoping for Kevin Dineen, former CBJ player coaching for Portland in the AHL.

Mr. Hartford Whaler Kevin Dineen!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #972
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
In one of his first shifts as a Leaf, Dion Phaneuf beat up Colin White.

I think Pumpy and I had simultaneous climaxes.
I cannot disagree.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #973
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Mr. Hartford Whaler Kevin Dineen!

Yeah, between Dineen, Geoff Sanderson, and Andrew Cassels (don't forget Robert Kron!) the early Jackets had a few former Whalers.

Sadly, Doug MacLean basically made Dineen retire during the 02-03 season, instead of letting Kevin go out on his own terms. I always liked the guy, and remember his toughness during those first two seasons. I think he'd be a perfect fit for this team.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #974
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hiller has just been ungodly since the Giguere trade, 30 save shutout and then a 46 save effort against the Wings tonight to absolutely steal a win. Detroit had 29 scoring chances and only scored one goal, unbelievable performance.

Hopefully this is a great sign that he can handle the pressure of being the undisputed number one. I've said all along he's got the positioning and the agility to be a top 5 goalie (and maybe even better - I've only seen a couple of guys go side to side like he can in the last 15 years I've been watching the NHL), the only bit I had any doubts about was the mental side of the game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #975
bbor
Pro Starter

How was Blake?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #976
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

F'ing Oilers are on a tear!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #977
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funny, I was going to post a DOLA about Blake but got distracted.

So far so good, he's hustling and going hard to the net/playing in the corners. Not sure if he'll keep it up but he looks like he's still got something left to me. I think the Selanne-Koivu-Blake line could cause a lot of problems with their pure speed. They looked pretty good tonight but just didn't have the final product, once they gel I'm pretty confident they'll be a decent second line. Not sure Blake brings more than Sexton on the offensive end but he's definitely much more responsible with the puck and a much better all-around player.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #978
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Leafs are now the youngest team in the league, apparently.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #979
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So far so good, he's hustling and going hard to the net/playing in the corners. Not sure if he'll keep it up but he looks like he's still got something left to me.
Oh, he hustles alright. He doesn't pass, or score, or hit, or get off the ice until his shift is 90 seconds old, and his teammates all hate him, but he does hustle. Enjoy your $4M hustler for the next three years.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 02-04-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #980
Pyser
Pro Rookie

usa today guy (who is good with atlanta news, apparently) says kovy is getting dealt tonight to an eastern conference team. tsn adds its not the bruins or rangers. any guesses?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #981
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
usa today guy (who is good with atlanta news, apparently) says kovy is getting dealt tonight to an eastern conference team. tsn adds its not the bruins or rangers. any guesses?

It'd be like Waddell to deal him to the East, another idiotic move from the resident idiot.

I mean, it's not as though it matters what they get in return for him, if DW makes the call then they're going to be a bust regardless, so why not at least deal him to the West for a couple of bags of pucks just so the few remaining fans don't have to have it rubbed in their face as often.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #982
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

But if I had to make a guess based on those parameters, I'll say it's Pittsburgh.

Something like Ilya & Afinogenov in return for Letang, Dupuis, a 1st, and some bodies to make the cap work out.

Of course, this is DW, so ATL will probably throw in Slater and do a 3-for-1 to get Gonchar.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #983
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kovy to the Devils is a done deal according to FSN in NJ. No other details.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #984
Pyser
Pro Rookie

fuck me. apparently its the devils.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #985
Pyser
Pro Rookie

id guess bergfors, oduya and some picks.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #986
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

help
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #987
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
id guess bergfors, oduya and some picks.

That'd be typical DW.

A second liner who hasn't scored a goal since 12/30, a d-man, and some picks to fuck up.

Thrashers ought to have held out to at least make someone take Waddell in the deal but that would have required competent ownership that actually, you know, had any interest whatsoever in hockey.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #988
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This move makes no sense for either team. NJ is giving up a decent amount for a rental when you consider Ilya does not fit their system. I know they can change the system but it's their staple.

For Atlanta .. I know he was gonna be a UFA but this is the best you can do .. Really?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #989
Pyser
Pro Rookie

mind you, thats a total guess. but bergfors is a rookie, and has promise. oduyas solid, but having a bad year. but hes a smooth skating dman.

also, atlanta really devalued kovy by waiting, and then announcing he wont take a 100m deal. so its a clear rental situation, making him cheaper.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #990
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just heard Oduya plus two guys from Lowell (D Tyler Eckford and LW Alexander Vasyunov). Neither of those two minor-leaguers is going to be very useful down the line, I don't think.

Edit: I have no idea if this is accurate. Internet trashpress insiders, etc.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 02-04-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #991
Pyser
Pro Rookie

pumpy, if we made this deal AND kept bergfors.....well, holy shit. thats WAY too good to be true.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #992
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Welp, now the rumors are saying Bergfors. Who the hell knows?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #993
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Welp, now the rumors are saying Bergfors. Who the hell knows?

H_B's college football recruiting insider >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pumpy's hockey insder.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #994
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

help
Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #995
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I heard it was Parise and Brodeur.

Spoiler
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 02-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #996
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I heard Colin White is not involved in the deal.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #997
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I heard you can all kiss my ass.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #998
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

FriedmanHNIC

Believe the deal is Oduya, bergfors, nick palmieri and a first rounder
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #999
Logan
Head Coach

A very un-Lou like move no?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #1000
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i nearly called it.

Atlanta Thrashers receive Oduya, Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a 1st-round pick for Kovalchuk