Old 05-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #955
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fuck - i just had a couple of things road-blocked...bear with me
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #956
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

forgot that surtt had taken churchill as a diplomat, was all set to make that my pick for ruler *sigh*
Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #957
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay - after much consideration and making of lists and all

10.5 Jawaharlal Nehru, Ruler/Leader, India, 20th Century
Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #958
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

who?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #959
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well Izulde, that leaves just me and you for leaders. Everyone else has dipped into the leader pot.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #960
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
who?

Jawaharlal Nehru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i thought long and hard about it because i worried that would be the reaction. I needed a 20th century ruler so that I have some freedom in my remaining picks, and it really boiled down to a few choices. I could have taken somebody along the lines of a hitler or something (not naming names) but i didn't want to have to deal with the PR-flack of that.

Nehru was the first prime minister of independent India. He was the political heir of Ghandi, very well-regarded on the international stage. Very educated as well.

And hey, the guy was ruler of a country with like 1/5 of the world's population, so you know he can do the job.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #961
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think there were better 20th century choices on the board, but I'm I'm going pre-20th I suspect.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #962
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

there might have been some, but a lot of the ones i looked at had "negative-PR" or were cock-blocked. maybe i just have a soft spot in my heart for nehru...idk
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #963
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

In all of history, we learn the rulers the most. We know the rulers the best. Down the ranks of history, each of us could name hundreds, perhaps a thousand different rules and leaders. If you are not walking away from this draft with a big name at ruler/leader, no matter where you pick, or what round you use, I think that's a missed opportunity.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #964
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

10.6 Henri Dunant, Civil Rights Leader, Switzerland, 20th Century

His work led to the foundation of the International Red Cross, as well as the first Geneva Convention. Later in life, he became active in women's rights, and received the first ever Nobel Peace prize in 1901.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-17-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added pick #
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #965
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
In all of history, we learn the rulers the most. We know the rulers the best. Down the ranks of history, each of us could name hundreds, perhaps a thousand different rules and leaders. If you are not walking away from this draft with a big name at ruler/leader, no matter where you pick, or what round you use, I think that's a missed opportunity.

And I think you can make the argument that Nehru is a big name at Ruler/Leader. Certainly ask any of the Indian members of the board...or any Indian in the world. He doesn't fit into the typical Western-world view, but that was a result of not feeling that there were a lot of those left at this point (the major countries had been blocked, and as i said, i want to go 20th century so that I was able to finish out my draft strategy). I won't name the other people still out there who i considered but didn't take at this point, but they all had blemishes.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #966
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
10.6 Henri Dunant, Civil Rights Leader, Switzerland, 20th Century

His work led to the foundation of the International Red Cross, as well as the first Geneva Convention. Later in life, he became active in women's rights, and received the first ever Nobel Peace prize in 1901.

nice pick. one Iwas thinknig about for my Civil rights pick.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #967
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Not my fault if the voters don't recognize the critical importance of Nehru to Indian independence and then the postwar period.

1. First and longest-serving PM of India
2. One of the founders of the Non-aligned movement in the postwar period
3. Ghandi's protegee and political successor
4. Liberal. Concerned for poor and underpriveleged, pushed through a series of reforms that led to the foundation of "Modern India."
5. Father of Indiri and grandfather of Rajiv Ghandi.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #968
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I could have gone with a despot and an absolute ruler, but this pick was about who i want running my nation, and I can't say i want ohhh...Mussolini or his equivalent. It also gets e me a 20th century ruler where there are not that good choices left (and fewer still without negative-PR).
Old 05-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #969
larrymcg421
Head Coach

In DT's defense, I think what makes this draft great, and different in nature to the previous historical draft, is we are not just looking for big names, but people who would be great at these positions. Now many times those two will go hand in hand, but not always. For example, I don't think anyone would say Mordechai Hod is a big name, but he's certainly a great choice for that spot.

Of course, it is up to DT, and anyone picking a non-big name to make their case for the voters.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #970
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
In DT's defense, I think what makes this draft great, and different in nature to the previous historical draft, is we are not just looking for big names, but people who would be great at these positions. Now many times those two will go hand in hand, but not always. For example, I don't think anyone would say Mordechai Hod is a big name, but he's certainly a great choice for that spot.

Of course, it is up to DT, and anyone picking a non-big name to make their case for the voters.

Exactly. If I was going "big name" then there are a bunch of people in third world countries i would have picked over nehru, but i wouldn't want any of them running my country over nehru, because most of them are dictators. and if i'm going to have a dictator running my country then why have a justice minister, or an army chief or anything?

Nehru was a statesman, a patriot, and a nation builder. He helped to bring together a very fragmented society in India and unite them, and created the modern India that is so successful that it is taking all of our jobs away. You may not recognize his name, but you can't knock his accomplishments. Particularly as a "head of state."
Old 05-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #971
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
And I think you can make the argument that Nehru is a big name at Ruler/Leader. Certainly ask any of the Indian members of the board...or any Indian in the world. He doesn't fit into the typical Western-world view, but that was a result of not feeling that there were a lot of those left at this point (the major countries had been blocked, and as i said, i want to go 20th century so that I was able to finish out my draft strategy). I won't name the other people still out there who i considered but didn't take at this point, but they all had blemishes.

As someone with a very prolific Asian cast on my team so far, you should realize that I do not endorse the necessarily Western view of things. However, there is a reason many don;t know of Nehru. In today's day and age there are a bunch of countries, and many of those have had good leaders in the past 110 years. Only the truly great ones are the ones people know. Does Nehru suck? Nope. In real life, he'd be a fine leader. He was a good guy. But he's not a sexy pick, and I think there are a ton of sexy picks at the Ruler/Leader level, that's all.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #972
Izulde
Head Coach

Nehru was controversial like Ghandi. And oh, it's my pick? Hmmm, okay let me look.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #973
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As someone with a very prolific Asian cast on my team so far, you should realize that I do not endorse the necessarily Western view of things. However, there is a reason many don;t know of Nehru. In today's day and age there are a bunch of countries, and many of those have had good leaders in the past 110 years. Only the truly great ones are the ones people know. Does Nehru suck? Nope. In real life, he'd be a fine leader. He was a good guy. But he's not a sexy pick, and I think there are a ton of sexy picks at the Ruler/Leader level, that's all.

I'm not so sure there are a ton of "sexy picks" left that don't also carry the tag of "this guy was a despot". Look at the countries that have been taken already - it covers the major world powers. You could certainly argue that there have been some good leaders in some smaller countries, but I'd argue that none of them have accomplished as much with the stakes as high as Nehru. Russia & China & USA have been covered, as has Western Europe, and frankly I don't see any sexier names in Eastern Europe, and definately not in Africa or South America that don't carry the baggage of negative PR. I actually did have at least two other 20th century thoughts - one of them I discounted as being too reactionary and "blah" and the other I discounted for being more of an army leader and less of a statesman.

I want a statesman as my ruler. And Nehru is just that.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #974
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm not so sure there are a ton of "sexy picks" left that don't also carry the tag of "this guy was a despot". Look at the countries that have been taken already - it covers the major world powers. You could certainly argue that there have been some good leaders in some smaller countries, but I'd argue that none of them have accomplished as much with the stakes as high as Nehru. Russia & China & USA have been covered, as has Western Europe, and frankly I don't see any sexier names in Eastern Europe, and definately not in Africa or South America that don't carry the baggage of negative PR. I actually did have at least two other 20th century thoughts - one of them I discounted as being too reactionary and "blah" and the other I discounted for being more of an army leader and less of a statesman.

I want a statesman as my ruler. And Nehru is just that.

I can send you a pm with one name if you want. Just one name.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #975
Izulde
Head Coach

10.7 - Queen Isabella - Ruler/Leader - Spain - Pre-20th Century

Although she's often paired with Ferdinand as the Catholic Monarchs, it was Isabella who was the stronger of the two by far. A skilled, beautiful, devout ruler, she was not only able to complete the Reconquista during her reign, but she also launched the Age of Exploration in Spain, key to making the kingdom a world power. She also was able to keep Castile a separate kingdom, despite Ferdinand's grasping for the throne repeatedly.

Can you imagine the skill at intrigue and unification we have for our new nation with this woman as our ruler and Bismarck as the Chief Diplomat? Our independence and rise as a world power are virtually assured.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #976
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A very strong pick, and one of the few I had circled for a late pikcup in r/l. Very good!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #977
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

nice pick izulde
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #978
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
A very strong pick, and one of the few I had circled for a late pikcup in r/l. Very good!

Thanks. She's my favorite monarch of all time, so I'd planned to make her my ruler if she was still around in the late game.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #979
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks, DT

Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #980
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

10.8 - Alonso Pérez de Guzmán - Navy Chief - Spain - pre 20th
Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #981
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I cannot believe that no one took the UK for leader/ruler. There are tons of great monarchs and prime ministers available, and no one took any. That astounds me. I'm not going there for my leader either, but still, color me surprised.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #982
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I cannot believe that no one took the UK for leader/ruler. There are tons of great monarchs and prime ministers available, and no one took any. That astounds me. I'm not going there for my leader either, but still, color me surprised.

I was going to take Churchill for leader/ruler before he got snapped up. And there was an English ruler I -almost- took instead of Isabel.

But I'm a little surprised myself.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #983
Barkeep49
Coordinator

10.9 Nadia Elena Comăneci Romania Athlete 20th Century

Perfection is hard to argue with.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #984
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Give me about 5 minutes and I'll have mine in

Old 05-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #985
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Finishing up the first post while watching the Celtics pretend to be a D-League team.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #986
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Finishing up the first post while watching the Celtics pretend to be a D-League team.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #987
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

That reminds me, I need to finish the East Conference Finals and post them.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #988
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
That reminds me, I need to finish the East Conference Finals and post them.

given his dissapearing act this series you might not want to trade for ray allen
Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #989
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

10.10 Sydney Opera House, Manmade Structure, Australia, 20th

Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #990
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

hmmm
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #991
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I wanted a world class icon structure, but it had to be 20th century.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #992
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I thought about this one.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #993
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

10.11 Ferdinand Magellan, Navy Chief, Portugal, Pre-20

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #994
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post

Damn you!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #995
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post

Great value

Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #996
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Apathetic Lurker picks:

10.12 Pierre Fredy (Baron de Coubertin), Athlete, France, pre 20th

12.1 Zarathustra, Religious Leader, Iran, pre 20th

Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #997
Izulde
Head Coach

Excellent value with Zarathrustra

Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #998
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Surtt's back up!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #999
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Surtt's back up!

Give me a few min.
Didn't expect to be back up so soon.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #1000
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

11.2 Charles Ponzi, Economist, Italy, Post-20

Hey, I can get in on the ground floor...
All I need is to get a few other nations to sign up...

Louis D. Brandeis