Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #951
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
Use the job calculator over on westats.com:

The West Stats and Tools

You have to upload your stats and equipment first, but the links on the left toward the bottom under inventory, "my skills" and "my equipment" will tell you how to do that. Then you can go to the job calculator, filter out jobs you can't do, and then sort the list on your criterion (here, it'd be experience). Your best options will be lowest on the page.

I copied the West Stats code for skill importing and then for inventory importing in two separate bookmarks that I put in my Firefox bookmarks toolbar. Now, whenever I want to send my skills and inventory to West Stats, I simply have to click the bookmarks and voilą!

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #952
Danny
Head Coach

I use this one a lot too

The West Insider
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #953
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I use this one a lot too

The West Insider

yeah, that one too, and I used their way of setting up the bookmark to do it for West Stats.

I like West Stats a bit more for the look ahead to the jobs that I'll be able to do in the future. Helps to plan out a bit ahead of time...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #954
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Cool, thanks for the info guys!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #955
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So, what's the trick for filling the gap to get from level 7 to level 10? The early quests allow you to move up fairly rapidly. But the current quests have jobs that require a higher skillset than I currently have. The past few days I seem to be accumulating XP at a snail's pace. Do you just have to keep grinding for a couple of hours at a time on various jobs, or is there some secret trick that I'm overlooking?

You are in the same place that I am right now (I'm at level 9). I did what the others are suggesting and used the job calculator to find the job that gave me the best return on xp. For me that is currently tanning deer skin which has a 15% experience score (whatever that means!)

I've been dumping skills/attributes the entire time to build up a trader type of character later on. That seems to be something that I haven't seen most aim for, so that is what I figured I would do. It sounds like we have plenty of builders/workers/etc so since I got a late start on this compared to others, I figured I would go a different path.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #956
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
You are in the same place that I am right now (I'm at level 9). I did what the others are suggesting and used the job calculator to find the job that gave me the best return on xp. For me that is currently tanning deer skin which has a 15% experience score (whatever that means!)

I've been dumping skills/attributes the entire time to build up a trader type of character later on. That seems to be something that I haven't seen most aim for, so that is what I figured I would do. It sounds like we have plenty of builders/workers/etc so since I got a late start on this compared to others, I figured I would go a different path.

Most of my skills points are in trading and animal instinct from when I started. I'm going to continue pumping trading and after that I am going hiding, it ends up being a real nice combination of skills for an adventurer.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #957
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Can I make a request for our website keepers? Can we create a link which includes a build plan for the town? I keep forgetting what to work on next and would love a quick reference.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #958
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, and we are at residence level 2 in El Dolado.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #959
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Can I make a request for our website keepers? Can we create a link which includes a build plan for the town? I keep forgetting what to work on next and would love a quick reference.

Brian, click the "Town Forum" icon in the game. I had created sub forums in there with one which was specifically for constructions and such...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #960
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Most of my skills points are in trading and animal instinct from when I started. I'm going to continue pumping trading and after that I am going hiding, it ends up being a real nice combination of skills for an adventurer.

Yeah, I decided early on to try to figure out what I wanted to do at the end, and just have been setting up my skills to try to reach that goal as I go. This is what mine are currently:

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #961
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Oh, and we are at residence level 2 in El Dolado.

How many residents does that allow us?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #962
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Level 8!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #963
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post

Cool, I'll be on my way soon then
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #964
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post

every level of residences allows 5 residents. We'll still be going with rotations and asking people to donate and leave, but it will allow us to send invites to more people. With the level 1 residences, you are not only limited to 5 residents, but 5 of residents and invites combined. With 3 spots takend by Jon (founder), and BrianD and me (workers), it left us kind of tight with only five spots...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #965
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Are the handcuffs good for anything?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #966
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm hopeful that you guys will be able to expand the towns by the time I get some more experience.

I'm at level 3 right now, sleeping after working non stop for a day and a half.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #967
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Are the handcuffs good for anything?

for a quest way later on although I don't know when. I'm level 24 and have not had any use for them. Same thing in two other worlds where I'm level 31 & 32 and still not used them...

I have decided to hang on to them and not sell them for now...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #968
Danny
Head Coach

I sold them on my adventurer, but not on my soldier. I figure it's just an item like the easter egg or fishing pole.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #969
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Level 12, 117 labor points.

Spending the day straightening a river...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #970
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Up to level 5...w00t!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #971
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Level 12, 117 labor points.

Spending the day straightening a river...

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #972
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
for a quest way later on although I don't know when.

Level 45, according to The West Stats and Tools

Of course that could change, if new quests are added or existing ones are altered.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #973
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I'm on my way to Troutville if anyone can send me an invite to donate some cash.

Has anyone completed the 'Deliver the package' quest? For some reason, I can't find the white dot on the minimap.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #974
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Forgot about my +9 leadership shirt that would boost my labor points to 126.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #975
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Scratch the invite. I'm off to do some jobs for a few hours.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #976
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Level 8 is definitely the shittiest one so far hehe. Next level is when I can hit the mad experience like hunting turkeys which will be insane experience, but right now I am alternating between mucking the stables and harvesting the fields but the motivation gets it to the point where I make only 6 or so exp points and then it seems like the motivation takes forever to build back up.. Am I doing it wrong or is that just part of the grind ?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #977
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Dat King is level 9 and nowhere close to being able to hunt turkeys. It all depends on where you put your attribute and skill points. I'm all over the place...can't wait for the shaman quests at level 14 so I can respec.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #978
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea. I have been putting every available point into trapping so I will be able to hunt turkeys and do the barbed wire fences then at level 10. But till then I just alternate between the two most profitable jobs (experience) that I can do. Thinking of maybe alternating between the top 3 as the drop off in motivation has been pretty big.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #979
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Scoobz - I think almost everybody hits some level where it's just a real grind. IIRC 8 was that way for me too, like DataKing said though it really depends on how you allocated your attribute & skill points.

Make sure to use the job calculator, if your motivation is getting too low on your two best jobs, maybe find a third job that's either unbalanced toward money or XP (giving a lot better of one or the other) and work it into the rotation to still be making progress while letting your two main skills recover. Just resort the list & see if something you haven't been doing lately pops out at you.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #980
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Scratch the invite. I'm off to do some jobs for a few hours.

I'll send ya one anyways, 4 spots open atm.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #981
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Yea. I have been putting every available point into trapping so I will be able to hunt turkeys and do the barbed wire fences then at level 10. But till then I just alternate between the two most profitable jobs (experience) that I can do. Thinking of maybe alternating between the top 3 as the drop off in motivation has been pretty big.

Yes, I'm still a Noob, but wouldn't it make more sense to put more skill points into hiding as you get two points for every point you allocate there to be able to hunt turkeys?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #982
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ill put every point into setting traps until I get about 115 points in it. Down the road it will help me unlock even better jobs then turkeys quicker. A lot of money to be made with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #983
chinaski
College Prospect

Heres a great breakdown for you adventurers...
Forum The West - View Single Post - Pure Class Guides
Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #984
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Damn. forgot about the beaver.

Thats going to fucking rock.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #985
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I've read the bit on "pure" classes before, but I guess I still have a couple of questions about them:

1. Do you just ignore the quests where your "pure" skills don't match up with what the quest-giver is looking for? I've been letting the quests pretty much dictate where my attribute and skill points go to this point.
2. At what point do you start to branch out? Or are you "committed" and should then only follow the same "pure" path forever? Sounds kind of boring to me if that's the case.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #986
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

1. That's the negative to being a pure adventurer. You are limited in a lot of the quests. Currently I can not do any of the quests that are open due to not having the correct attributes. But like you saw in that thread, the experience and money you make from the jobs is ridiculous for your level. I am going to be down awesome jobs at level 9 that like you said, you can't even do. So really if you want to do that questing and not really just "adventuring" the pure system is not really the way to go.

2. From what I have heard from other people at around level 30 you hit kind of a peak where going any higher is pointless as you have unlocked most the jobs that setting traps will give you. Thats where you can branch out, and I will then probably start to build a better fighter to defend myself with.

I'm not expert, but Im crossing my fingers that I will have a decent character.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #987
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I'll send ya one anyways, 4 spots open atm.

Thanks Van Zandt. I'll check back in 1 h, 10 min as I'll be done then.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #988
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Ill put every point into setting traps until I get about 115 points in it. Down the road it will help me unlock even better jobs then turkeys quicker. A lot of money to be made with it.

What about buying an item that could boost your trapping?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #989
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

In and out of Troutville after making another donation. Slowly working my way toward turkey hunting.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #990
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

was thinking about this on my way from work and we talked about it a bit before, would now be a good time to start thinking about founding a third town?

Looking at the census, we have 40 people on there with three that I see as being inactive. That puts us at 37. The question we can ask ourselves is do we really want to push the residences of both town up TWO more levels to accomodate 40 FOFCers, or do we want to have three towns at residences of level 3, giving us room to accomodate 45 FOFCers in all? And then, if need be, we could upgrade one of the residences to go higher, if people keep signing up...

Also, while starting a third town now will sort of take some money away from the two current town, it will allow that third town not to lag too much behind her two big sisters.

Any thoughts on the idea?

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-20-2009 at 04:16 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #991
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
was thinking about this on my way from work and we talked about it a bit before, would now be a good time to start thinking about founding a third town?

Looking at the census, we have 40 people on there with three that I see as being inactive. That puts us at 37. The question we can ask ourselves is do we really want to push the residences of both town up TWO more levels to accomodate 40 FOFCers, or do we want to have three towns at residences of level 3, giving us room to accomodate 45 FOFCers in all? And then, if need be, we could upgrade one of the residences to go higher, if people keep signing up...

Also, while starting a third town now will sort of take some money away from the two current town, it will allow that third town not to lag too much behind her two big sisters.

FM

Just thoughts from me for now, nothing I'm really firm about, mostly just thinking out loud here ...

Same quadrant for absolute 100% certain or is an adjacent quadrant just out of view a possibility if the layout was right? ...

Do towns go ghost often enough to be worth hedging a few days to see what pops up, with us ready to pounce on it if the situation was right? ...

I do think we ought to have at least four (preferrably five) builders of reasonable gross labour points to divide amongst three towns. That way at least some progress, however slow, could probably continue in all three simultaneously. Momentum can be a hard thing to recapture once its lost, that would guard against that somewhat ...

Maybe more from me on this later, that's just some off the top of my head stuff for now.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #992
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

FM

Im leaning towards sticking with the 2 towns and leveling them up. With these type of games, a lot of folks like to try them out, but we end up losing people after a few weeks. Now if only we had another builder above 150 to come help out in Troutville

I should get the 2nd level of Residence in the next 3 hours worth of work. Probably will be done tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #993
chinaski
College Prospect

dola,

didnt want to sound definite on 2 towns. 3 would be great down the road, I just dont think right now is an opportune time.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #994
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Just another thing to bear in mind, is that we're not going to want just enough spots to have everyone be a resident in one town or another. We're going to want a little more flexibility than that, since one of the purposes to having multiple towns is to have different goods available at the various stores. Seems like there'd be an awful lot of residency-jumbling if we only just had enough spots for everyone, especially if one of the shops loads a juicy new item that everybody wants to buy.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #995
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

If we put all of our workers to building in a third town, we could probably get it going pretty quickly. That said, I agree that it might not be a bad idea to make sure people are going to stay with the game before we expand too far.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #996
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll add another thought here too, El Dolado has three residents at the moment, two if a builder goes elsewhere. There hasn't exactly been a rush for permanent residency since the town reached level two. And there may not be one for a while, considering movement between towns for shopping + split needs for resources + not being duelable when unattached.

In some ways that does make an argument for a third town I think (and definitely makes going past level two residences on the existing ones a low priority TFN in my mind) but at the same time I'm not sure that we're going to do anything moreso than split resources for limited benefit. I'm not sure it wouldn't do something more positive than that either, just not sure it would.

edit to add: Plus, in addition to Brian's observation about seeing how many players stick around, I'm not entirely sure how many of the ones that remain active are going to want permanent residency anywhere. Give or take a little, I'd say roughly half (or a little more) of the FOFC'ers playing have made a contribution to either town or asked in to shop or sleep. As we've seen in other games, some players eventually prefer to play with other factions/clans/families/companies/etc, we really don't know how many of the FOFC'ers playing will end up wanting to be in an FOFC town. Nothing wrong with that at all, I'm solidly behind the idea of playing however you want to play that keeps you interested (see me playing Syrnia almost entirely solo minus help from a couple of FOFC'ers for over three years & counting) , so please nobody take that as me being critical of the choice in any way. Just saying it's something that belongs in the consideration somewhere, that's all.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2009 at 04:46 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #997
hawk4669
High School JV

Speaking of El Dorado, I have nearly $300 for the town again. Plus I THINK my building skills are getting to the point where I can contribute a bit.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #998
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Should we be looking at raising our hotel level so people get more benefit from their rest time?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #999
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Should we be looking at raising our hotel level so people get more benefit from their rest time?

The thought has crossed my mind, that's for sure.

It's probably either that or level one gunsmith, but do we even have any idea of how many people need level one weapons at this point? I can't tell whether I've been lucky in finding several different weapons so far or if that's the norm.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #1000
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I'm currently roving around Troutville and would be willing to become a builder if that's what the community agrees we need more of...whether that's in Troutville or the proposed 3rd town. Let me know, I'm close to leveling up again...level 6 is in my sights!!