Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #951
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Some guy from Access Hollywood claims that he talked to a high-up Fox exec who confirmed that the vote wasn't close. I don't think he had numbers, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #952
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
The lines I'm seeing have Lambert around a 60% favorite.

Are you still going to keep claiming that your "lines" are all-knowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #953
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

super slam
Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #954
Ksyrup

Wow, this may not just be a rumor:

Quote:
Adam Lambert talked to FOX news this morning about those rumors that Queen is interested in Adam as their new lead singer. Adam says "I think there was some interest…that would be really wild." When the reporter pressed he laughed, “I’m pleading the 5th.”

I imagine something is/was there, or else he wouldn't say that and risk ticking the band off if there was nothing to it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #955
MJ4H
Coordinator

what is the source on the retraction, id like to read more about that please
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #956
Ksyrup

Got it from this Reality TV World article:

Station retracts report Arkansas cast 38 million 'American Idol' votes - Reality TV World - News, information, episode summaries, message boards, chat and games for unscripted television programs
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #957
MJ4H
Coordinator

I thought it seemed rather high, but they did say it was verified by AT&T on the air last night. My thinking it seemed high was why I posted it, though. Would've been quite impressive, if true.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #958
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Cook is probably my favorite idol contestant in all 8 seasons, so I agree that he should be really successful. I also really like that grunge kind of voice.

I think Kris could have a nice career like a Jason Mraz type or even in a kind of pop country type genre.

Why do we keep bringing up Jason Mraz in this thread? He wasn't on American Idol
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #959
Danny
Head Coach

Because Jason Mraz has a very distinct specific style that he is sucessful with. Kris has that same potential, but he won't be successful if he (or others) try and force him into going away from his comfort zone.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #960
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Same here. My wife kept thinking Adam was going to win and I told her for weeks that he had almost no shot of winning.
Same here...my wife was shocked last night. It didn't make sense to me that Adam actually might win. I do believe he has the most potential (and vocal talent)...but that isn't who wins AI.

Quote:
She thinks that Bikini girl didn't know Kara was going to sing over/behind her last night and was genuinely pissed. Anyone else think that?
I asked my wife whether she thought Bikini girl was in on the whole thing...or if her grimmacing was part of the bit. I didnt think so personally...I think she was genuinely annoyed or thinking that Kara stole her thunder.

Overall, I have to say I was (for once) pleasantly surprised with the finale. Very entertaining and some great acts. I think they did well with the duets and was happy to see some real shockers on AI (to me) as I didn't read anything about it before watching.

I actually thought Rod Stewart was slightly drunk...and a diva for not sharing the stage (and making us suffer thru an entire song length with his stammering). KISS was awesome to see, but was kinda disheartened to realize they werent playing their instruments...oh well (Paul Stanley has manboobs BTW!!).

I think the end result was best for both Kris and Adam. I figured Kris would be well served to get an instant album deal and marketing, etc. behind him from Simon's label...and Adam will be offered all kinds of deals to be a frontman (insert tasteless homophobe joke here). He has some incredible range, and I agree with everybody stating he's a perfect rock singer.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #961
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just for the record, Bikini Girl was actually pissed about Kara singing over her.

Bikini Girl Still Fighting With DioGuardi - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment - FOXNews.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #962
Ksyrup

Couple of post-finale wrap-up items:

Quote:
  • Scott MacIntyre was set to duet with Billy Joel on Wednesday’s Idol finale until Joel dropped out at the last minute. There wasn’t time to arrange another duet. Matt Giraud and Anoop Desai who both finished higher were sadly duet free. No fair! Matt was bummed, but is getting over it, “I was down before about not singing much in the Finale but cool now.”
  • Will Ferrell was supposed to be on the Idol Final, but the producers, perhaps put off by the super-snarky coronation song parody he planned to sing, pulled the plug.
  • __________________
    Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #963
    Ksyrup

Also:

Quote:
    Fox’s two-hour finale, a heavily hyped showdown in which low-key crooner Kris Allen upset flamboyant rocker Adam Lambert, drew an average of 27.7 million total viewers, according to early data from Nielsen Media Research. That represented a 13% slide compared with last year and was the least-watched “Idol” closer since the first season in summer 2002 (23 million). (Fox offered “time-zone-adjusted” ratings from Nielsen, which offered a higher viewer tally of 28.8 million, a mark the network said would be closer to the final figure.) The 2003 finale between Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken remains the most-watched, with 38.1 million tuning in.

For comparison:

Season 7 - 31.7M
    Season 6 - 30.7M
    Season 5 - 36.3M

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #964
    SteveMax58
    College Starter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
    Also:

For comparison:

Season 7 - 31.7M
    Season 6 - 30.7M
    Season 5 - 36.3M

This makes sense to me since the last 2 shows (not including finale) were pretty lame. I suspect a lot of people (and if not for my wife, would have included me) didn't bother to watch because of them.
    Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #965
    IrishHand
    Mascot

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arles View Post
    I think, by the time it's all said and done, Cook has a chance to be at the Daughtry/Kelly C level and there's really no chance anyone from this final 3 makes it near that.

QFT - though I'd reluctantly add Carrie to that group to make it a foursome. I don't like her, but her sensible adherence to a successful formula in an uberpopular genre means she'll continue having massive record sales.

I like Kris Allen, but he seems too much like Mraz/JJohnson lite, and lite tends not to do that well in the music industry. I would expect him to have a Studdardesque or Yaminesque career. I've never disputed Lambert's vocal abilities, but I don't think he has any marketable future as a soloist.
    IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #966
    Ksyrup

Yeah, I'm no country/Underwood fan, but I read something recently that she has like double the #1 hits from 2 albums that Shania Twain had at the height of her popularity.
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #967
    IrishHand
    Mascot

Yeah...my sense is Underwood will quickly pass Clarkson in total US album sales (among former Idol contestants) and proceed to significantly widen that lead. Daughtry/Cook/Clarkson could come out in any order in 5-10 years. I can't see any other current/former Idol contestant digging into that foursome though or even getting in the ballgame, really.
    Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #968
    Arles
    Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I was just talking more in the pop scene, but Underwood is certainly in that AI Pantheon. The problem with Kris and Danny (to a lesser degree) is that they seem to be targeting that Taylor Hicks/Elliot Yamin/Clay Aiken Adult contemporary audience. And, given the demographic of AI fans who buy music, I'm not sure that's the ideal setup. People like Mraz and Jack Johnson crawled up from a cult following to hit the pop scene through good music. So, they tend to crossover better. Someone like Hicks or Kris Allen will be handed a top spot with a silver spoon and those don't seem to stay as long as they never had to create that "breakthrough" hit to get there in the first place.

At the end of the day, you need to be a good artist/performer and have a good songwriter to stay relevant. And, I think it will be rare for the AI winner to have that given they will be carried through their first album independent of their ability.
    Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #969
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

AT&T May Have Swayed Idol Outcome to Favor Kris Allen

Story photo: AT&T May Have Swayed Idol Outcome to Favor Kris AllenAdam Lambert and Kris Allen arrive at the American Idol Season 8 Grand Finale held at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on May 20, 2009 in Los Angeles, CA.

The New York Times is reporting that American Idol's Kris Allen may have had a little help from AT&T, one of the Fox show's biggest corporate sponsors, in winning this year.

According to the Times, AT&T provided phones for free text-messaging services at two Allen parties in Arkansas on the night of the finals. Citing sources, The Times reports that AT&T reps showed party-goers how to "power text" -- cast 10 votes at the touch of a button -- which violates show rules.

Power texts, according to the Times, "have an exponentially greater effect on voting than do single text messages or calls to the shows toll-free phone lines."

No similar efforts appear to have been made to provide free texting services to Adam Lambert fans.

Angry Lambert supporters are now claiming in online chat boards that the competition's voting was rigged.

While Fox has yet to comment, AT&T issued the following statement: "In Arkansas, we were invited to attend the local watch parties organized by the community. A few local employees brought a small number of demo phones with them and provided texting tutorials to those who were interested."

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette first reported on the possible skewed voting last week.
    You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
    Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #970
    Arles
    Grey Dog Software

Far be it from me to defend Idol, but I doubt AT&T handed out more than 100 combined phones in the two parties. Even if everyone who got a phone "power text" 1,000 votes, that's still only 100,000 votes - which is well below the winning margin.

The voting system is a bit of a joke, but it's no worse than the Major League baseball AllStar game or the other voting shows. At the end of the day, Kris won because he got a large chunk of Danny's voting block and was more appealing to most AI voters.
    Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #971
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

I still think there was some voting abnormalities that went on (above previous years). Given the initial reports of 38M votes out of Arkansas, the execs saying that the vote wasn't close and this report.

Granted, not a darn thing Idol is going to do about it. If they change the voting next year it makes them look guilty plus, with AT&T as the sponsor more text votes = more money.
    You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
    Old 05-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #972
    Solecismic
    Solecismic Software

I just have one question.

Who is Kris Allen?
    Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #973
    Ksyrup

Who?

I love this:

Quote:
    The 29-year-old former church music director and "American Idol" finalist says he'd like to try "Dancing With The Stars," in part because the "Idol" judges regularly criticized his moves.

Just what America needs - more Danny Gokey mugging for the camera and his backstory regurgitated every week. I can't decide if this would hurt him by making him look more like a fool, or if it would help him, on the premise that nearly everyone who goes on DWTS gets a bump in positive publicity.
    Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #974
    IrishHand
    Mascot

Help, easy.

Steve-O came off like a great guy, ffs. Apart from the David Alen Grier post-elimination ragefest, it's nearly impossible to look bad on that show.
    Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #975
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

NEW YORK, NY -- Adam Lambert has no hard feelings after "American Idol" Season 2 runner-up Clay Aiken bashed him then apologized over a series of blog posts late last week.

"I don't know Clay," Adam told Access Hollywood on Thursday morning after performing on the "Today Show." "I'm glad he's getting headlines now though, because he wasn't before."

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #976
    GoldenEagle
    Grizzled Veteran

Adam Lambert seems much more straight than Clay Aiken, if that is even possible. I guess what I am saying is I would rather have a beer with Adam Lamert than Clay Aiken.
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #977
    MJ4H
    Coordinator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    Adam Lambert seems much more straight than Clay Aiken

A bit like being more pregnant or less dead, I guess

WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
    Spoiler

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-29-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #978
    law90026
    College Benchwarmer

oshit my eyes
    law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #979
    ISiddiqui
    Hall Of Famer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    "I don't know Clay," Adam told Access Hollywood on Thursday morning after performing on the "Today Show." "I'm glad he's getting headlines now though, because he wasn't before."

Oh snap!
    Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #980
    Ksyrup

Apparently Adam is going to finally out himself in Rolling Stone next week. For once I agree with Kara - is there really any question, or has there been, since day one?
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #981
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

Hey, it's out. Adam's gay.

In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

Adam was attracted to Kris though.
    Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #982
    Pumpy Tudors
    Bounty Hunter

i've got pictures of adam in bed with randy jackson

give me five dollars or i'll show them to you
    Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #983
    Ksyrup

Danny's true (and only?) gift to American pop culture:

Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #984
    wade moore
    lolzcat

Whatever you tried to post there isn't showing up.

Quote:
    Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
    Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #985
    JeeberD
    General Manager

It's showing up for me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
    JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #986
    Ksyrup

Here:

Danny Gokey Eyeglasses | Eyeglasses Worn by Danny Gokey on American Idol
    Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #987
    Ksyrup

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
    Whatever you tried to post there isn't showing up.

Apparently you need Danny Gokey glasses...
    Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #988
    thealmighty
    Pro Starter

I was hoping this thread was bumped so you could tell us Guardahoochie wasn't renewed.
    Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #989
    RedKingGold
    College Starter

Adam Lambert is now gay.
    RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #990
    Kodos
    Resident Alien

It all happen so suddenly.
    Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #991
    SteveMax58
    College Starter

Laaaambert....the sheepish lion...
    Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #992
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    It all happen so suddenly.

If only Adam would have heeded the warnings and got his converter box, this wouldn't have happened.
    Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #993
    Ksyrup

I guess you're never too young to try to extend your 15 minutes of fame.

Remember that audience member - the young girl - who was always shown freaking out/crying while Sanjaya performed? Well she's 16 and apparently auditioned this week in California for next year's AI. Sheesh. What are the chances she can actually sing?
    Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #994
    JeeberD
    General Manager

Found this just a bit ago, a list of the 40 best and worst AI performances.

http://www.whatnottosing.com/performances.asp#le

I've been entertained all morning doing YouTube searches on the worst performances...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
    JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #995
    cuervo72
    Head Coach

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
    Found this just a bit ago, a list of the 40 best and worst AI performances.

http://www.whatnottosing.com/performances.asp#le

I've been entertained all morning doing YouTube searches on the worst performances...

Bah, Best list has no Huff.
    Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #996
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

11 worst overall total for Season 3. I believe that was the absolute worst season ever so, this is not surprising.
    Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #997
    wade moore
    lolzcat

I just picked this thread since it was the most recent, rather than going back to the original Daughtry season thread.

Daughtry doing Poker Face by Lady Gaga (sorry, no embed)

YouTube - Daughtry version of Poker Face

Quote:
    Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #998
    Ksyrup

This has got to be one of the biggest jokes in the history of awards shows:

Quote:
    American Idol director Bruce Gowers was nominated for Outstanding Directing For A Variety, Music Or Comedy Series award.

REALLY?! Did they feel compelled to nominate the show simply because it gets a huge rating? Because that's a joke.
    Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #999
    CleBrownsfan
    Pro Rookie

American Idol contestant struck and killed by a car over the weekend.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
    FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
    SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 07-27-2009 at 06:54 AM.
    CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #1000
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

Saw that today. Hate to see that happen to anyone.