Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #951
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What's to prevent you from buying three games and just returning them when say... Modern Warfare 2 comes out?

Can you do that??

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #952
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Modern Warfare.. all paid for.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #953
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Looking forward to picking up Forza Motorsport 3 tomorrow. VROOOM!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #954
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I never really got into racing games. They just get stale after a couple time splaying them - IMO of course....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #955
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Looking forward to picking up Forza Motorsport 3 tomorrow. VROOOM!

Me too, Forza is by far my favorite racing game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #956
Kodos
Resident Alien

I found a good game to play with my 4-year-old son: Baja Edge of Control. It has a free-ride mode where you can just drive around without trying to race. Big maps, varied terrain. It's fun to find jumps and just generally smash up your car (it has damage modeling). You can also toggle whether you want to be able to drive through trees and whether you want damage to be cosmetic or not.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #957
Kodos
Resident Alien

One of my friends is looking to get a PS3, and I was trying to recommend some games for him. I was able to help with sports games, telling him to avoid all Madden's except 2010, and to go with 2K for basketball, the Show for baseball, etc.

He said he wants a game like Myst from the PC where you have to solve puzzles and whatnot. Nothing sprang to mind on that one. I'd recommend ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Silent Hill 2 if his PS3 was backwards compatible, but it's one of the new slims. Any ideas?

Last edited by Kodos : 10-26-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #958
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I never really got into racing games. They just get stale after a couple time splaying them - IMO of course....

Same here. The last racing game I ever enjoyed was Mario Kart.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #959
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Same here. The last racing game I ever enjoyed was Mario Kart.

Last one for me was RC Pro Am.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #960
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
One of my friends is looking to get a PS3, and I was trying to recommend some games for him. I was able to help with sports games, telling him to avoid all Madden's except 2010, and to go with 2K for basketball, the Show for baseball, etc.

He said he wants a game like Myst from the PC where you have to solve puzzles and whatnot. Nothing sprang to mind on that one. I'd recommend ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Silent Hill 2 if his PS3 was backwards compatible, but it's one of the new slims. Any ideas?

Both of the Uncharted games actually have a lot of puzzle games and levels where you have to figure out the correct path to reach your destination. It's a big reason why that series has been so popular. There's a lot of game play that doesn't involve guns at all.

Siren is actually a Silent Hill-like game that you can pick up for $29.99 off the PSN store. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Orange Box can be had for pretty cheap and it has Portal on it, which has a puzzle element to it.

Pinball Hall of Fame is also a lot of fun if he's looking for a game outside the norm. They did a great job of reproducing the old tables.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #961
Kodos
Resident Alien

He's not into shooters, but Uncharted might work. Thanks for the other suggestions as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #962
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
He's not into shooters, but Uncharted might work. Thanks for the other suggestions as well.

The uncharted games are so much more than shooters though. The puzzles, paths to get out of levels, etc. probably occupy more time than the shooter part of the game.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #963
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Have him pick up a used copy of Uncharted. They're very cheap right now. I think he'll find that the game has a whole lot more plot and puzzles than actualy gun play. I'm not a fan of shooters, but I love Uncharted and Uncharted 2.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #964
MikeVic
Head Coach

My problem with Uncharted was that the gun fights took way too long for my liking. I'd headshot guys and they'd stumble back and then start shooting me, wtf. But the writing and action parts were really fun for the parts that I played.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #965
Calis
College Starter

I thought the gunplay in Uncharted was pretty bad so while it might not be a huge part of the game it definitely detracts, and if you already don't like that style of play...

For what it is worth though I've been playing the 2nd and I feel like the gunfights are more enjoyable. I can't really clarify why, but it just feels a little better.

Overall the Uncharted games don't do anything revolutionary and gameplay-wise I don't think they're terribly interesting, but they put an amazing level of polish in. The animations are amazing as is the amount of variations, and the 2nd has a great variety of levels that are really interesting to take in. Some of the best voice acting around.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #966
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ouch, DJ Hero (which comes out today) isn't going to do nearly as well as what activision was hoping:

Analyst Slashes DJ Hero Sales Projections - dj hero - Kotaku

short version: The analyst expected 1.6 million sales in the 4Q 2009, and 2.5 million in 1 full year.

New version: 600K (40% of previous expectations) in 4Q2009 and 950K in 1 full year (not even 40%)
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #967
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ouch, DJ Hero (which comes out today) isn't going to do nearly as well as what activision was hoping:

short version: The analyst expected 1.6 million sales in the 4Q 2009, and 2.5 million in 1 full year.

New version: 600K (40% of previous expectations) in 4Q2009 and 950K in 1 full year (not even 40%)

I was interested in this game when I saw the Daft Punk tie-in, and some of the mixes sound awesome. But then I saw the price. Waaaaay over-priced imo.

Totally unrelated, but isn't the Left4Dead 2 demo active today?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #968
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think I will look to pick up DJ Hero in a year or so once the price bottoms out. Looks like fun, but no way I'm paying that price for it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #969
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

L4D2 Demo supposed to be activated at Noon PST, I believe (for preorders at least)
Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #970
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I saw a little thing on Xbox Live last night about L4D2. They said that the weather has been added as one of the variables that Director 2.0 has to work with, which I thought was a nice touch. That could add a lot to the atmosphere.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #971
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
L4D2 Demo supposed to be activated at Noon PST, I believe (for preorders at least)

Got mine pre-ordered so giddy-up!!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #972
Calis
College Starter

I actually can't wait to get home and try out Torchlight. Sounds like a very well done Diablo-clone with some nice editing tools as well.

Pre-order on Steam was only 17 bucks also. Can't beat that. The early word is extremely positive also.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #973
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Never even heard of Torchlight but it looks like a pretty solid game. Please give us your impressions after you've played it...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #974
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

One thing these analysts seem to have missed completely is that not only is rock more musically appealing for more people, but that rock is a corporate activity. Moving from Guitar Hero to Rock Band was a natural progression in getting more people involved in playing a game at the same time. But being a DJ is pretty much an individual thing. I just can't see people having DJ Hero parties. Why these analysts forecasted this much success for this game is baffling.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #975
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time is in my greedy little hands, and I have all day off tomorrow.

Guess who isn't going to bed tonight?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #976
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Forza 3 is just flat out awesome. Gorgeous graphics, incredibly accurate physics and damage modeling, and AI drivers that all act differently. This one is gonna get a lot of playing time.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #977
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time is in my greedy little hands, and I have all day off tomorrow.

Guess who isn't going to bed tonight?

Probably going to pick it up tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #978
samifan24
Pro Starter

I just started chapter 15 of Uncharted 2 and man, the guys get really difficult really quickly. Has anyone else experienced this or just me? It feels like an arena online game, wave after wave after wave.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #979
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dammit, where's the l4d2 demo!!! I thought it's unlocked today.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #980
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think I will look to pick up DJ Hero in a year or so once the price bottoms out. Looks like fun, but no way I'm paying that price for it.

Yeah. Me too. Can't see spending more than 50 for it. This game will be clogging up the Big Lots type stores in a year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #981
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I just started chapter 15 of Uncharted 2 and man, the guys get really difficult really quickly. Has anyone else experienced this or just me? It feels like an arena online game, wave after wave after wave.

That's exactly what happened...cruising along pretty easily and then bam. It gets even harder.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #982
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

It is wave after wave of guys to kill BUT at least when you do kill the waves they eventually stop coming. I hate when games just pour out waves a guys to kill and they don't stop until you reach a check point.

I beat UC 2 a couple days ago and it was a fun ride. I think it's only the 3rd game I've actually beaten

Now I'm laying some Co-op online and it's been fun. If any of you want to hit up some Co-op sometime my PS tag is Broth32.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #983
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some good news on the import front. 3D Dot Heroes will have an English version of the game to be released on the North American PSN Store.

PS3center.net - Story: 3D Dot Game Heroes coming to the US
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #984
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Never even heard of Torchlight but it looks like a pretty solid game. Please give us your impressions after you've played it...

Didn't get a chance to play it much last night, but did put an hour or so in. It seems very solid to me. It is extremely derivative of Diablo, moreso the original actually. There isn't a lot of fluff. You have a town and you have the dungeon and a very minimal amount of exposition.

If you ever heard of or played the game Fate a few years back this is by the same guys, and I know several people on the team were designers or otherwise involved with both Diablo games.

Only 3 classes which I a bit disappointing but it looks like there is a pretty wide variety of possible builds so hopefully that isn't an issue.

If you liked Diablo or Titan Quest definitely give it a try. I think I will end up going back to this one a lot to kill an hour or two here and there. Seems like a great deal for 20 bucks.

Should get to put in more time tonight with it.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #985
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

God of War III demo will be on the Blu-ray release of 'District 9'..........

Blu-ray.com - District 9 Blu-ray to Feature God of War III Demo

I'll be honest. I personally don't get the appeal of demos or pre-order perks. But I do know that the presence of the demo will obviously help sales of the movie significantly.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-28-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #986
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't know, is someone really gonna buy a $30 movie just to play a demo?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #987
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I don't know, is someone really gonna buy a $30 movie just to play a demo?

There's an idiot born every day. I'm always shocked at the number of people who buy 'special' and 'limited' editions of a video game that you can buy for the same price in the regular version. Did you really need the Halo helmet or the scale model of Ratchet's gun?

I doubt you'd have to pay $30 if you had any level of reasonable internet shopping skills. Most BR movies can be found for $22-25 tops on release day if you just shop around.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-28-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #988
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's an idiot born every day. I'm always shocked at the number of people who buy 'special' and 'limited' editions of a video game that you can buy for the same price in the regular version. Did you really need the Halo helmet or the scale model of Ratchet's gun?

I doubt you'd have to pay $30 if you had any level of reasonable internet shopping skills. Most BR movies can be found for $22-25 tops on release day if you just shop around.

It depends really.

For example, I always regret not buying that collector's edition of the "Fellowship Of The Ring" that came with those bookends because I think they are very cool. I made sure not make the same mistake when buying the collector's edition of "Return of the King", because I wanted that little statue of Minas Tirith.

Just recently I bought the special edition "Watchmen" with the Rorschach mask case from Best Buy, because I wanted it. Though, I don't think that cost any more than the normal version if I recall correctly.

I can't recall if I ever bought a collector's edition video game. Maybe way back in the day I might bought a special edition "Ultima V" or something.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-28-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #989
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Yet just a couple of days ago you perpetuated the $100 WiFi myth for the 360.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #990
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yet just a couple of days ago you perpetuated the $100 WiFi myth for the 360.

I'm not sure it's a myth. There's plenty of idiots buying that thing for $100 just like there's people spending far too much on BR movies. It's how Best Buy and other retailers stay in business. $60 HDMI cords.........anyone?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #991
Kodos
Resident Alien

Gotta love it when they sell something for 20 to 30 times the price it fetches on the interwebs.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #992
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure it's a myth. There's plenty of idiots buying that thing for $100 just like there's people spending far too much on BR movies. It's how Best Buy and other retailers stay in business. $60 HDMI cords.........anyone?

By charging 100 bucks for the adapter, they have effectively insured the following:

I won't ever buy live(50 dollars a year)
I won't buy the adapter(100)
I won't buy any arcade games in the future(i dunno, $20-40 per year at least)

Maybe I'm the only person like this, but I doubt it. Since I moved my 360 far away from my router, plugging it in is not going to be a solid solution. Although maybe I'll run 100 feet of cat 6 again.

Regardless if it was 40-50 bucks for a frigging Dongle, I'd buy/subscribe to a lot more stuff.

Last edited by stevew : 10-28-2009 at 03:29 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #993
cartman
Death Herald

I got my 360 connected via WiFi with a $20 wireless bridge.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #994
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Probably going to pick it up tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

I'm having a blast with it. Until a couple of minutes ago, I was a little annoyed with Insomniac for the spacing on some of Clank's jumps. Then I discovered that the X, X, X helijump doesn't count the initial jump.

So I had that extra boost I was never using. No wonder I was falling into the bottomless abyss.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #995
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got my 360 connected via WiFi with a $20 wireless bridge.

Same here.

I was bummed when I went into my local best buy this afternoon and found that their stock of FIFA 10 and Borderlands were wiped out. They were both in stock this morning. Oh well, I don't really have time for 3 new games anyway.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #996
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Same here.

I was bummed when I went into my local best buy this afternoon and found that their stock of FIFA 10 and Borderlands were wiped out. They were both in stock this morning. Oh well, I don't really have time for 3 new games anyway.

If you have Amazon Prime, you might give that a try. I ordered Forza 3 on Monday, and it showed up yesterday (free shipping), plus I also got a note that I get $10 off of my next video game purchase.

Last edited by cartman : 10-28-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #997
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Despite the fact that there are all these new, quality games out and I have a bunch of recent unplayed or semi-unplayed games on my computer, a buddy of mine was over last night and we ended up playing "X-Com" for about 4 hours while watching hockey. And it was a blast.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #998
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you have Amazon Prime, you might give that a try. I ordered Forza 3 on Monday, and it showed up yesterday (free shipping), plus I also got a note that I get $10 off of my next video game purchase.

I'm getting Forza 3 tomorrow. I just don't see enough good games at Best Buy to take advantage of their buy 2 get 1 free deal.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #999
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm getting Forza 3 tomorrow. I just don't see enough good games at Best Buy to take advantage of their buy 2 get 1 free deal.

What have you bought in the last six months that you don't see "enough good games"?!

I'd have been all over it if I had the money.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #1000
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
What have you bought in the last six months that you don't see "enough good games"?!

I'd have been all over it if I had the money.

Let me clarify. My local best buy was raided of all of their top games and their shelves were fairly bare in general. I had a list of 5 that I wanted and would have bought if they were in stock but Borderland, FIFA 10, and Brutal Legend were all sold out.

They did have Forza 3 and Tekken 6 in stock though.