Originally Posted by Drake View Post
You're worried about his hat?

he has a thing for skulls
Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #952
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Do not mock the Clark Brothers. Run a youtube search on "Clark Brothers" and "Gimme Shelter"

via YT: "No Videos found for 'clark brothers gimme shelter'"

Highly disappointing. I was just about to gloss over this Clark Brothers discussion (never heard of them) but Ksyrup callin em fierce and then you name-dropping Gimme Shelter, and I was all about checking it out. Too bad I can't find anything!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #953
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No, I didn't call them fierce - that was the blog I copied that info from. I haven't used the term "fierce" since singing along to Glamour Boys in 1990.

They do kick all kinds of ass, though, even though bluegrass ain't my cup of tea. They have a chance to be bluegrass-accessible kinda like Nickel Creek (with a gospel angle).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-27-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #954
Ksyrup

There are tons of Clark Brothers vids on YT, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #955
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Next week is Dolly Parton week or something?

oh dear
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #956
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They (The Clark Brothers) appear to be some of the most sincerely passionate musicians I've ever seen perform.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-27-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #957
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
You're worried about his hat?

You wear a merkin to work and you're stressed about his hat?

Subby beats up truckers at the Golden Corral over this at least three times weekly.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-27-2008 at 01:49 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #958
Ksyrup

Gimme Shelter:

Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #959
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Subby beats up truckers at the Golden Corral over this at least three times weekly.

Damn, that is a lot of buffet food. At least he works it off with the brawling.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #960
Drake
assmaster

Okay, I'll admit that clip kicked ass. Serious, serious ass.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #961
korme
Go Reds

Is that the dude from Goo Goo Dolls?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #962
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't see the clip at work, but the lead singer of the Goo Goo Dolls was one of the judges on the show.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #963
wade moore
lolzcat

KSyrup - you're the man. I need to go back and look at all of the YT clips now. I always loved them, but seeing them again just makes me realize just how much I love them.

Keep in mind what they do IS right up my alley - let alone how well they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #964
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: IMO that wasn't even one of their top 2 or 3 performances I don't think BTW.

Well, idano - hard to rank them.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #965
wade moore
lolzcat

Trying to search for my favorite and I can't figure it out.

Seriously - just do a YT search - they're badass.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #966
Ksyrup

I like them, and I don't really like that kind of stuff. However, I do like Nickel Creek because they are more "progressive blluegrass" than straight-up bluegrass/country. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about with The Clark Brothers is their original stuff...a couple of the originals they did on the show were a little too..."typically country," I guess is the best way to explain it. I think Reznik even said as much about some of the lyrics being a bit too obvious and not as esoteric as he (and I) would like, but being too down-home/shlocky, which is one of my big hang-ups with country. Their vocals and instrumentation don't scare me away, but their songs could.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #967
Ksyrup

Tonight's spoilers, from TMZ. A fake list has already been up at Entertainment Weekly (woops), and with this being April 1st, you never know...

Spoiler
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #968
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I was hoping Archuleta would do "9 to 5". Seriously, this song list is going to be pretty rough and involve large "liberties" for tonight to be watchable. For a group that constantly complains about "being current", having 60s, 70s and Dolly Parton in 3 of your few shows seems a little questionable. I'm waiting for the Benedictine monks night when Simon rips David Cook for not making "Os Iusti" a current pop hit.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #969
Ksyrup

I KNEW it!

According to The Pulse of Radio, Chris Cornell's version of the Michael Jackson smash "Billie Jean" has gotten a huge boost after "American Idol" contestant David Cook did an almost "note-for-note" version of Cornell's recording last week. The track, which appeared on Cornell's 2007 solo album, "Carry On", saw a 300% sales jump in the past week and is currently Number 12 on iTunes' Top Alternative chart.

The former AUDIOSLAVE and SOUNDGARDEN frontman has been getting a lot of attention ever since the performance. He told Billboard, "You can clearly see that the judges are giving this guy credit for it on national television. My fans were like, 'Wait a minute! That's Chris Cornell's moment."

Cornell is happy about it, saying, "Don't get me wrong. He sang it great. But it was literally a note-for-note take on what I came up with. At the end of the day, it's all good. It's a good thing for me. There was a moment when I was sitting there writing this new arrangement thinking, 'Is this a good idea or a bad idea?' Watching the response from the judges was really gratifying. They were signing off on it right there." Cornell says he always gets a great response from the crowd when he plays it live.

Host Ryan Seacrest introduced Cook's performance as "Chris Cornell's version of 'Billie Jean'."

Cornell is working on his next solo album with producer Timbaland, and says "it's going fantastic."
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #970
kurtism
High School Varsity

Michael Johns wins for rocking the ascot. game. set. match.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #971
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on tonight's performances:

Michael Johns - I don't agree with Simon that this was his best performance, but I liked it the best of the night. Excellent control throughout the song.

David Cook - His first original arrangement and I enjoyed it. Very solid vocally.

David Archuleta - Excellent vocal control except for 1 note early.

Brooke - I could see buying a CD of hers.

Carly - A strong vocal, but there is something about her that I just didn't like.

Kristy - She looked great and this is clearly her best genre. I almost think they picked a Dolly week to keep her around. A solid vocal performance.

Syesha - There was something I just didn't like about the performance.

Jason - Boring.

Ramiele - I like her, but I think that was a poor song choice for her.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #972
Ksyrup

Syesha was really bad - her voice was all over the place. And that last note she held...that was unforgiveable. One of the judges should have given her a ton of shit for that. That went from "glory note" to "egomaniac" to "Naked Gun absurd" the longer she held it.

Archuleta was finally pretty good, but all this proves is he can't sing anything but ballads. Add a bit of tempo to any song, and he falls apart. Even Michael Bolton had a "rock song" phase, but this kid is 17 going on 45.

Brooke missed a few notes tonight. She and Castro are getting a bit redundant. As much as I love her, I think she's had enough of the show and vice versa.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #973
Ksyrup

BTW, I love how David Cook came out and mentioned every band whose cover he aped. Even that Doxology band that called him out a few weeks back!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #974
Swaggs
Coordinator

I've been down on him this season, but I actually thought that Castro's song was very good this time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #975
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I KNEW it!

According to The Pulse of Radio, Chris Cornell's version of the Michael Jackson smash "Billie Jean" has gotten a huge boost after "American Idol" contestant David Cook did an almost "note-for-note" version of Cornell's recording last week. The track, which appeared on Cornell's 2007 solo album, "Carry On", saw a 300% sales jump in the past week and is currently Number 12 on iTunes' Top Alternative chart.

The former AUDIOSLAVE and SOUNDGARDEN frontman has been getting a lot of attention ever since the performance. He told Billboard, "You can clearly see that the judges are giving this guy credit for it on national television. My fans were like, 'Wait a minute! That's Chris Cornell's moment."

Cornell is happy about it, saying, "Don't get me wrong. He sang it great. But it was literally a note-for-note take on what I came up with. At the end of the day, it's all good. It's a good thing for me. There was a moment when I was sitting there writing this new arrangement thinking, 'Is this a good idea or a bad idea?' Watching the response from the judges was really gratifying. They were signing off on it right there." Cornell says he always gets a great response from the crowd when he plays it live.

Host Ryan Seacrest introduced Cook's performance as "Chris Cornell's version of 'Billie Jean'."

Cornell is working on his next solo album with producer Timbaland, and says "it's going fantastic."

You knew what?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #976
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The recap for the Round of Nine is posted at the Football Frontier.

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=243

Overall: A fright night of forgettable tunes as Dolly Parton proved those who still can probably should not coach. Country week is always ripe for misadventure, and this was no exception.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #977
Arles
Grey Dog Software

1. David C - For those still picking on his "arrangements", he's stated atleast 3 weeks going that he has went online to find them. Combine that with Seacrest basically announcing the originator (ie, Chris Cornell's Billie Jean) and I am a little flabergasted by this issue re-emerging each week. Daughtry did highway robbery on everyone he stole, yet Cook has gone out of his way each week and people still try and pick on him for not being upfront. Any rate, a pretty solid original take.
2. Michael - Another solid job, but he making number 2 shows how mediocre this episode was (although that wasn't a huge surprise given it was Dolly Parton week).
3. David A - I didn't want to punch him in the face, so that's a start. Nice performance and he finally gave up the Melindo Doolittle "You like me? You really like me!" awk-shucks look after a compliment. I think they're setting him up to be the comeback kid.
4. Carly - Another solid performance, but she does rub me the wrong way. Congrats for Simon for finally calling out her outfits. Hey, Carly and Seacrest, we don't want to look at her arm tatoo of the virgin Mary on every performance. Maybe try a set of sleaves once a month, what do you say?
5. Brooke - Safe, solid and sedating. Not much else to say.
6. Kristy - Another best possible performance and she wasn't in the top 5. Gives you an idea of her ceiling in this competition.
7. Jason - Meh, he's a male version of Brooke with less talent. He needs another homerun to stay relevant.
8. Syesha - I needed a bodyguard for that last note. If you redo a Whitney song in the same manner and completely fudge numerous notes (including the money note), there's not much positive to hope for.
9. Ramiele - She shouldn't be here and it was obvious yet again three notes into the song. Even a homerun by her (which tonight was certainly not) isn't enough for her to break the top 6.

Overall, pretty bland night - but AI should have anticipated that with the guest. It would be nice if AI could finally have a theme not based before 1985. Based on the music hosts/themes, they should change the show to ACI or Adult Contemporary Idol. Still waiting on Christopher Cross week - that has to be coming soon.

Last edited by Arles : 04-01-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #978
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

They should have a boy-band theme week. Something a little more current as the heyday for most of the competitors at their ages would be the *nsync, backstreet, o-town era, but plenty of others to expand on that... new kids, boyz 2 men, new edition - hell, go girl groups as well.

solves the problem of getting a theme taht is more "current" than most of their themes and would be interesting to see the take some of the competitors took on some of the songs.
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #979
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

ok i thougth about it a little more and i guess they have had some theme weeks that are more "current" like the gwen stefani theme last year, a song from the current charts week and the mariah carey week this year too.

however, i still stand by the idea they should have a boy-band week.
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #980
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
You knew what?

He just knew, ya know?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #981
Ksyrup

I knew he was going to get a huge bump in sales from that. I think I posted something to that effect after Cook's performance (although that might have been at another board, I can't keep my posting straight).
Old 04-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #982
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
1. David C - For those still picking on his "arrangements", he's stated atleast 3 weeks going that he has went online to find them. Combine that with Seacrest basically announcing the originator (ie, Chris Cornell's Billie Jean) and I am a little flabergasted by this issue re-emerging each week. Daughtry did highway robbery on everyone he stole, yet Cook has gone out of his way each week and people still try and pick on him for not being upfront. Any rate, a pretty solid original take.

You know what I think it is? I think people are far more internet savvy about things like this 2 years later. Youtube is huge compared to then, bands are all over the net (even no-name bands like Doxology), and I think part of it is also backlash from AI trying to cover up stuff. I agree, he's been upfront and the show has, too. I thought last night was a bit much in terms of trying to placate people, but he's trying to win votes, so I guess he needs to do it.

But I think it's just that there wasn't this degree of "internet sleuthing" even 2 years ago, and people are so used to uncovering "AHA!" moments about AI contestants - especially this year - that this is just one more thing that people are in a frenzy to "discover" and talk about, even though it's pretty much a non-issue at this point.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #983
Ksyrup

According to DialIdol, tonight's elimination should be fairly obvious. There's a decent bit of separation between last and the next group.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #984
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
According to DialIdol, tonight's elimination should be fairly obvious. There's a decent bit of separation between last and the next group.

Linky/spoiler?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #985
Ksyrup

Each week, the DialIdol results can be found here:

hxxp://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #986
Ksyrup

American Idol sixth-season runner-up Blake Lewis didn't pull any punches in his recent criticism of fellow finalist Sanjaya Malakar.

"I was never a fan of Sanjaya," said Lewis during an interview with Jacksonville, FL radio station WAPE-FM. "I didn't think he should have been on the show at all. At all. Period. It's just bad for television -- terrible television."

Not surprisingly, Lewis said he isn't the only former sixth-season finalist who felt that way about Malakar.

"Everyone there was like, 'Why is this little kid who's just annoying on this television show?'" said Lewis. "It's television. It's television... But it takes the validation out of people who have been working their ass off for years."

While Lewis said he was never concerned Malakar would end up winning Idol's sixth-season crown, he was apparently peeved that the contestant known more for his coifs than his vocal abilities made it as far as he did.

"I got pissed every week because my buddies that are super-talented are going home and he's [still there]," vented Lewis. "America's very ignorant in some things and voted for Sanjaya to stay on American Idol. That's ridiculous."

Malakar auditioned for Idol's sixth season in Seattle with his older sister Shyamali, whom Lewis said Sanjaya has to thank for getting his Hollywood Round ticket.

"See, the thing is, people don't know he got cut and the only reason why he made it is because his sister made it through," explained Lewis. "Then his sister got cut in Hollywood Week."

In addition, Lewis offered a conspiracy theory of sorts on how Malakar eventually made it through to the Top 24.

"So he had already gotten cut. They're like, 'You suck. You shouldn't be on the show,'" explained Lewis. "Then the producer [Nigel Lythgoe] put him back on."
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #987
Ksyrup

I guess I missed the news about David Cook going to the hospital last night. He's OK now, apparently.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #988
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I missed the news about David Cook going to the hospital last night. He's OK now, apparently.

What was wrong with him?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #989
Ksyrup

David Cook hospitalized after 'American Idol' performance but 'fine'

By Christopher Rocchio, 04/02/2008

David Cook wowed the audience and then gave them a scare, as the American Idol seventh-season finalist was reportedly taken to the hospital following last night's live performance episode broadcast.

The 25-year-old from Blue Spings, MO who currently resides in Tulsa, OK was hospitalized after last night's live show when he experienced a heart palpitations, a source confirmed to People. Cook was subsequently treated for high blood pressure and released back to the Idol apartments.

"[He's] doing fine," the source told People.

Cook wasn't feeling well throughout the day, TMZ.com reported, adding his condition worsened following his rendition of Dolly Parton's "Little Sparrow" during the live performance episode broadcast.

He was examined by Idol medics, who determined his blood pressure was "far too high," according to TMZ.com. While he was urged to leave for the hospital during the broadcast, he reportedly decided to wait until it was finished filming.

He was then "noticeably absent" when the Top 9 seventh-season finalists were taken into the bleachers to sit with fans and watch a live performance of sixth-season champ Jordin Sparks and R&B star Chris Brown sing their new single "New Air," which was taped for a later broadcast, People reported.

The reason for Cook's absence, according to TMZ.com, was because he was being taken to the hospital -- sans ambulance -- where he was treated by a private doctor, who gave him medication to lower his blood pressure.

An Idol executive told TMZ.com that Cook was "completely stressed out" because his cancer-stricken brother suffered a setback within the last week.

In addition, Cook apparently collapsed prior to a performance earlier in the season and said he was unable to perform before subsequently taking the stage at the last minute, TMZ.com reported.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #990
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting..
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #991
Ksyrup

That just beat every performance I've ever seen on the AI stage.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #992
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm not exactly a fan of those guys, but they are definitely entertaining. My wife had never seen them before and it was fun to watch her reaction to them. She basically said what I was thinking, which is "that audience has no idea how to react to that."

I pretty much agree. If those guys had stood on the stage and suddenly exploded into goo flung all over the place, I think the audience would've reacted pretty much the same way that they did.

Basically a huge wtf!
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #993
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That just beat every performance I've ever seen on the AI stage.

Agreed. I'm glad they did well.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #994
Ksyrup

Not a surprise that Brooke is in the bottom 3. Maybe it's finally Ramiele's time, but I think it's either Brooke or KLC going home.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #995
MJ4H
Coordinator

Come on Ramiele = gone

So ez
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #996
MJ4H
Coordinator

Also Brooke makes me feel all tingly.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #997
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Dolly needs to be voted off...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #998
Flasch186
Coordinator

gravity

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #999
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the Dialidol numbers were on the money.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #1000
Ksyrup

DialIdol nailed that one. She was last by a good bit.