Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #951
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
What a brutal looking shot on the OSU QB.

It looked like they were going to decapitate Boeckman. I'm curious why it wasn't a penalty because it looked like the LSU defended leapt at his head and wound up clotheslining him. It really killed OSU's momentum and I thought that they could make more of a game of it until that moment.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #952
14ers
High School Varsity

Does this mean 12-1 Kansas now becomes the National Champion?

Or will there be a another poll this Sunday that determines the National Champion?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #953
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
The kiss of death to Ohio State.

Ohio State will not only cover, but win outright today!

Ohio State is my pick. Sorry Ohio State fans.
I'm not a gambler, but if you continue posting your picks like this I'm going to make a fortune betting the opposite way...

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #954
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post

Or will there be a another poll this Sunday that determines the National Champion?
The AP is free to vote whatever team they feel deserves it as #1. And it will be as legitimate as the BCS Championship game winner, because there is no official college football national champion in Division 1-A (or whatever they're calling it this year).
Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 AM   #955
Schmidty
Coordinator

Should I lose my man card because A) I had no idea who was in the championship game and B) I had no idea that it was being played today?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #956
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Should I lose my man card because A) I had no idea who was in the championship game and B) I had no idea that it was being played today?
Yep.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #957
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yep.

I thought so.

It's just that once MSU is done, I couldn't care less about any other teams.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #958
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

Why would they? They were ranked like 8th in the last poll, and 3-4 teams above them won their games.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 AM   #959
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
It looked like they were going to decapitate Boeckman. I'm curious why it wasn't a penalty because it looked like the LSU defended leapt at his head and wound up clotheslining him. It really killed OSU's momentum and I thought that they could make more of a game of it until that moment.
NCAA rules do not coddle the QB like NFL rules do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #960
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Why would they? They were ranked like 8th in the last poll, and 3-4 teams above them won their games.
12-1 Best record in college football this year! Right?

How many other 1 loss teams from a major confrence are out there?

Last edited by 14ers : 01-08-2008 at 05:08 AM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #961
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Interesting note about the players for the Buckeyes, 3 seniors on the squad...this entire cast, hopfully with a better QB could be back here next year. 3 Title games in 6 years, granted with only 1 championship, but hey, only USC has a better record in recent years.

No, we'll be stuck with Beck at QB again next year. More underthrowing the deep ball and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I haven't been this frustrated with QB play since Bellisari.

I give LSU credit, they executed their offense to near perfection. OSU made so many mistakes, LSU didn't. Even with the dropped TD by Robiskie and the roughing the punter, I still think LSU would've won. However the difference was execution, not speed. LSU won the one on one match ups.

I'm bummed but I can't really complain, I never in a million years thought this team would've had a shot to play for a National Championship after losing Smith, Ginn, etc last year. If everyone stays next year should be another shot at the title.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #962
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I thought so.

It's just that once MSU is done, I couldn't care less about any other teams.

You would have felt right at home last night. OSU did their best Sparty impersonation and totally imploded, back-to-back personal foul penalties and everything.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #963
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Tressel takes a good deal of blame for the overagression thats lead to fouls.

He played up the whole disrespect angle for WEEKS. You get a great team playing great by focus on playing and thinking smart every play, not by becoming part of the circus.

A big difference in the game so far has been the overaggressive penalties when Ohio State has let their emotions get the better of them.

IMO this is exactly what happened last night. OSU seemed so intent on proving that that were just as fast/tough/macho etc. as the entire SEC, they seemed to forget that they just had to play better, smarter football than LSU over 60 mins. It was an amazing contrast to the composed team I saw play Michigan at the end of the regular season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #964
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You would have felt right at home last night. OSU did their best Sparty impersonation and totally imploded, back-to-back personal foul penalties and everything.

Did you know:

None of MSU's 6 losses were by more than 7 points.

MSU was 4th best in the conference in penalties and penalty yardage (better than U-M)
Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #965
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nah, considering the teams who played last night were the ones who
1) won the luck lottery this season as being "the arbitrary last 1 loss team standing from a major conference" vs
2) The best team from the mythical best conference playing at home but who really had no more business being in the game than 5 or 6 other contenders

Subconciously, you're probably just like a lot of the rest of us. This just didn't feel like the National Championship because no one really should be playing for it this year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-08-2008 at 07:17 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #966
Butter
Coordinator

To whoever said LSU is the program of the decade: The decade's not over yet.

To whoever said Tressel is overrated as a game coach: I think BCS bowl games in 5 of 6 years speaks for itself.

To whoever said Tressel played up the wrong angle of the game: you are right. If Ohio State worries about what's going on on the field, they have a good chance to win the game. If they avoid some of the stupid mistakes, they have a good chance to win the game. A lot of stupid mistakes and overaggression cost them big time... all in a vain attempt to show the world who's really got the best speed. In the end, it didn't come down to speed. It came down to execution. If OSU executes as well as LSU, maybe they still don't win... but at least it would've been close.

It would be nice to see LSU have to win one of these national title games outside of Louisiana sometime.

Anyway, congrats to the LSU fans. Enjoy the win, your team deserved it last night.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #967
Butter
Coordinator

And to astrosfan: Next time you have a brilliant pick involving one of my favorite teams, do me a favor and KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #968
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
To whoever said Tressel is overrated as a game coach: I think BCS bowl games in 5 of 6 years speaks for itself.

I think that speaks more about the quality of the teams in the Big Ten than anything. Not a knock on OSU, but the Big Ten is incredibly top heavy these days.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #969
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, but they did receive 1 AP vote for first

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #970
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I think that speaks more about the quality of the teams in the Big Ten than anything. Not a knock on OSU, but the Big Ten is incredibly top heavy these days.

Ohio State has won 3 of those BCS games, so I don't think it speaks to that over the past 6 years. I think you can make a case for that this year, yes. Ohio State's strength of schedule was poor, and the Big Ten was down as a conference. Ohio State wasn't even picked to be in the national title hunt at all this year, but thanks to Michigan's woes, and Wisconsin's inability to put anything resembling an imposing offense together, OSU won the Big Ten by default, and got to the national title game thanks to the inability of teams above them to win big games. A playoff would've been awfully nice this year.

OSU haters probably won't like next year much better than this year. OSU returns almost everybody. It'd be nice if we could develop some better WR's during the offseason. Nobody beat the coverage last night. Boeckman had to thread needles to complete passes. It was ridiculous. I think Saine might be moving to WR, judging by last night's performance.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #971
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Not trying to threadjack here, but I am stumped...I swear that yesterday I saw something on ESPN about how one of the players in the game last night (don't remember which team) is the son of someone famous...I want to say an athlete, but I can't remember who and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone here know what/who I'm talking about?
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #972
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

No, but the guy who I overhead asking his friend if the winner of last night's game advanced to the Super Bowl certainly should.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #973
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
Not trying to threadjack here, but I am stumped...I swear that yesterday I saw something on ESPN about how one of the players in the game last night (don't remember which team) is the son of someone famous...I want to say an athlete, but I can't remember who and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone here know what/who I'm talking about?

My barely-listening-to-the-game self heard someone being a cousin of Devin Hester.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #974
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Ohio State's DT Cameron Heyward is the son of the late Atlanta Falcons RB Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. Was that it?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #975
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Ohio State's DT Cameron Heyward is the son of the late Atlanta Falcons RB Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. Was that it?

Yup. Because the Hester kid plays for LSU and I don't recall them saying the two bore any relation...not that they couldn't, just that I heard no mention of the sort. But I did hear about this and read about it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #976
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
It would be nice to see LSU have to win one of these national title games outside of Louisiana sometime.

Agreed. Next year will be a rebuilding year, although anythings possible. LSU will have a favorable schedule in 09 though, and will be loaded with the right kind of experience again, hopefully they get the chance to do it outside of New Orleans then.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #977
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think this win by LSU should quiet the critics of conference championship games.

LSU was ranked 7th in the BCS going into the SEC title game. Their win (against #14 Tennessee) vaulted them ahead of two teams that were ranked ahead of them and did not lose again this season (Kansas and Georgia) and put them in the championship game ahead of another team that was ranked ahead of them (VT).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #978
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:

YES! OMG, thank you!!!! It was driving me crazy because every time they referred to that Doucet guy I thought they were saying Dorsett but I knew that wasn't right...
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #979
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Glad to see Mizzou get the #4 spot in the final poll. They'll likely be at least that high in the preseason poll next year given the large number of returning starters.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #980
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Some random thoughts:

This is my worst season betting on bowls and playoffs. I mean just terrible. I usually don't stop till the superbowl, but I may cash in early this year.

With that being said.

I would like to see an SEC go north and play a game in the cold. National Championship game, in NO on Turf in a dome. Yeah, that is a neutrel field. That would be like playing Ohio State in Clevland's stadium, on grass with it 20 degrees.

Why aren't their any cold weather bowl games played outdoors? Maybe a Cheese Bowl in Greenbay?

Why did Ohio State stop running the ball in the first half? I don't understand, why they just didn't pound the ball?

Why didn't VT just pound the ball with Brandon Orr? They kept using play action, but never ran it....

West Virginia would stomp LSU or any SEC team for that matter. They were the best team in the country.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #981
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
West Virginia would stomp LSU or any SEC team for that matter. They were the best team in the country.

I disagree.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #982
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Some random thoughts:

This is my worst season betting on bowls and playoffs. I mean just terrible. I usually don't stop till the superbowl, but I may pawn my electronics and rent out my spare bedroom to pay down my debts and call it a day.

Fixed.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #983
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Fixed.

it isn't all that bad. My wife monitors my gambling, so I can't get out of control.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #984
Logan
Head Coach

You need a custom title change to "Mush."
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #985
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I disagree.

Look at LSU's two losses. To Arkansas who got stomped in their bowl game and an average Kentucky team.

WV lost to Pittsburgh, their rival and they lost to SF. SF at the time was playing some of the best football in the country. BTW this is the same SF team, that went into Auburn and beat them in Auburn.

At the very least you can make a case for WV being the top team in the nation.

Right now I would rank them like this.

WV - USC - LSU (1) Any of these teams could be number 1.
Georgia, Mizzou, Kansas (2)

Mizzou, Kansas and Georgia didn't even win their conference, so they can't ever be number 1. That just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 01-08-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #986
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Some random thoughts:

This is my worst season betting on bowls and playoffs. I mean just terrible. I usually don't stop till the superbowl, but I may cash in early this year.

With that being said.

I would like to see an SEC go north and play a game in the cold. National Championship game, in NO on Turf in a dome. Yeah, that is a neutrel field. That would be like playing Ohio State in Clevland's stadium, on grass with it 20 degrees.

Why aren't their any cold weather bowl games played outdoors? Maybe a Cheese Bowl in Greenbay?

Why did Ohio State stop running the ball in the first half? I don't understand, why they just didn't pound the ball?

Why didn't VT just pound the ball with Brandon Orr? They kept using play action, but never ran it....

They won't hold the National Championship in Green Bay for the same reason they don't hold the Super Bowl in Green Bay. Weather. Look at where the BCS bowls are held...LA, AZ, CA, FL.

The SEC went 7 - 2 in post season. Why is it so damn hard for them to get respect? Forget any one individual bowl game, forget any one individual team. Look at the conference as a whole. Why does the weather factor in. The SEC teams play in rain, they have cold weather come through. Did OSU play any games in snow this year? I don't follow the team so I don't know.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #987
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
The SEC went 7 - 2 in post season. Why is it so damn hard for them to get respect? Forget any one individual bowl game, forget any one individual team. Look at the conference as a whole.

The SEC gets too much respect. They are showered with respect. Look at how LSU vaulted 4 2-loss teams to get into the BCS title game on the last weekend of the season. That's not respect?

I think what you are witnessing here is mostly hatred. At least from the people on this board that are talking them down. I would join in, but my basis has been considerably diminished after last night.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #988
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The SEC went 7 - 2 in post season. Why is it so damn hard for them to get respect?

LOL......a time-honored tradition. If it's the second week of January, you can be guaranteed that at any given moment, someone is complaining somewhere about the SEC getting no respect.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #989
KWhit
Coordinator

The SEC backs it up, though. They are 4-0 in BCS championship games. The only other conference to have more than 1 title is the Big 12 and they're just 2-3.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #990
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The SEC backs it up, though. They are 4-0 in BCS championship games. The only other conference to have more than 1 title is the Big 12 and they're just 2-3.

I think that's everyone's point. They're tired of hearing people complain about the lack of respect when it simply doesn't exist outside of the average SEC fan's need to somehow garner more respect than they already have. As someone said above, if anything, they get too much respect. I'm not sure they could get any more.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #991
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:

That to me shows a lack of respect.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #992
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
That to me shows a lack of respect.

I think you're looking at respect in terms of do people on the boards respect the SEC, and I was talking about respect in terms of the national media (or, ESPN if you prefer).

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #993
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
I think you're looking at respect in terms of do people on the boards respect the SEC, and I was talking about respect in terms of the national media (or, ESPN if you prefer).

Sorry for the confusion.

To a point, yes...but more the general public. There are a lot of people who figure if you aren't in the Big 10 or ACC, then you just don't matter.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #994
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think that's everyone's point. They're tired of hearing people complain about the lack of respect when it simply doesn't exist outside of the average SEC fan's need to somehow garner more respect than they already have. As someone said above, if anything, they get too much respect. I'm not sure they could get any more.

My point was in response to people who consistently call the SEC overrated like those posts last night prior to and just after kickoff of the game. And in response to the quote "the SEC gets too much respect."

I agree that the SEC gets a ton of press as the best conference in football. I'm just saying that I think that it is 100% deserved based upon recent results. Some of it is also the fact that an undefeated Auburn was passed over a few years ago, Florida barely made it in last year, and LSU needed a few late season miracles (Missouri, WVU losses) to get there this year.

I think, in general, what you hear when you hear SEC fans complain is that it's not a level playing field. When you hear talk about teams like Rutgers (last year), Kansas, and South Florida potentially playing for the championship after playing really weak schedules it is frustrating. Now, none of that happened, but during the season when this was all you heard on ESPN, you can't help but imagine what those teams' records would be if they had to play a schedule like Georgia's: Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Vandy, Auburn, and Georgia Tech. And if you're lucky, then add the SEC championship game onto that against a team like LSU. Now, are all those teams world beaters? No, of course not, but any of them can step up and knock off a contender on an off day.

All of that being said, it's impossible to know who the top 2 teams are at the end of a short 11-12 game season. There needs to be a playoff so that you can be sure to get the best team into the postseason so they can fight it out on the playing field.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #995
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
To a point, yes...but more the general public. There are a lot of people who figure if you aren't in the Big 10 or ACC, then you just don't matter.

It's not that you don't matter. It's just that we hate you.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #996
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
It's not that you don't matter. It's just that we hate you.

LOL. That makes it all better...thanks!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #997
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

All of that being said, it's impossible to know who the top 2 teams are at the end of a short 11-12 game season. There needs to be a playoff so that you can be sure to get the best team into the postseason so they can fight it out on the playing field.

It's not impossible (see signature)

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-08-2008 at 01:11 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #998
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dear SEC,

Those were your Heisman candidates?

Sincerely,
The University of Michigan and the University of Missouri.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-08-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #999
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Dear SEC,

Those were your Heisman candidates?

Sincerely,
The University of Michigan and the University of Missouri.
Yup. It's the SEC fans that have a complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #1000
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yup. It's the SEC fans that have a complex.

So I'm not the only one who cannot stand the Big 10 homers?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote