Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #951
BYU 14
Coordinator

Curious how others are finding special Teams play...I have never been succesful returning kicks but against UCLA I popped 3 for touchdowns. Lost 37-34 because I threw 6 picks though 2 were just bad reads on my part, but the other 4 were horrible throws by my QB, thank god special teams kept me in the Game.

Has anyone else had this much success on KO returns? (I have 7 for TD's since I started playing, in 9 games)

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-26-2007 at 12:49 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #952
Logan
Head Coach

Two total, approximately 35 games.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #953
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Curious how others are finding special Teams play...I have never been succesful returning kicks but against UCLA I popped 3 for touchdowns. Lost 37-34 because I threw 6 picks though 2 were just bad reads on my part, but the other 4 were horrible throws by my QB, thank god special teams kept me in the Game.

Has anyone else had this much success on KO returns? (I have 7 for TD's since I started playing, in 9 games)

I've returned one kickoff and one punt in about 20 games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #954
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Just had the weirdest bug. Ran a playaction on about the 7, reciever made a diving catch in the MIDDLE of the endzone for a TD. Booth reviewed the ball spot, not the catch, the spot. Play was reversed and I had the ball on the 1.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #955
Ragone
Pro Rookie

For the life of me.. i cannot get the cpu to auto name the rosters for me in campus legend mode, its kinda a game killer for me
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #956
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

I did on the default difficulty level...when i turned it up to all-american and heisman it was fine
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #957
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hold down the LT trigger, like how you move through the depth chart with the RT one.
Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #958
rowech
Pro Starter

Guys...has there been mention of this bug???

I have my settings on AA but in dynasty mode, every game I start has the setting to be played in varsity.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #959
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Guys...has there been mention of this bug???

I have my settings on AA but in dynasty mode, every game I start has the setting to be played in varsity.

Happened to me. I saved my profile then loaded it before I loaded my dynasty. Then with the dynasty loaded it was all set.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #960
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

It sucks because your profile saves the sliders and such across all game modes. Example: I don't fatigue in CL mode because my player (the RB) gets wiped when I'm in the red zone. But I do want it in dynasty mode. So when I switch between the modes, I have to toggle it on/off each time I switch. It's not cool.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #961
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Happened to me. I saved my profile then loaded it before I loaded my dynasty. Then with the dynasty loaded it was all set.

Thanks...that's certainly a pain but I guess I have to deal with it.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #962
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
For the life of me.. i cannot get the cpu to auto name the rosters for me in campus legend mode, its kinda a game killer for me

What's the error you are getting? You have the option to do this at signing day (forget if it is heading into or out of signing day). If you forget to do this, I think you are screwed, and agree that's an issue, but in my case I just re-did signing day (well, I went back two games in the high school playoffs because I forgot to save, but that was also my fault).
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #963
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm not about to wade through this thread to find the answer to this question...has anyone played the regular XBox version? Is it decent? The last version I bought was 2005 and I'm wondering if there's enough of an upgrade to spend the $40 on it...

Thanks for any help!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #964
nole4sho
n00b

This game is very good and has that one more game feel to it. I currently have a dynasty with Florida State and to my surprise my freshman receiver is flat out amazing. I have seen one hand catches, diving catches with him sliding his toes make the catch inbounds, and seen him take a screen 80+ yards after juking almost everyone.

I still don't have a hang of recruiting as I usually don't have enough points to recruit a whole class of 25 players because my top targets need attention. Does anyone have any tips or know where I can get some helpful recruiting tips.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #965
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:

I am having the same problem with my game. After the signing day I get the option to name them and I always select yes and still my rosters have always been default HB #23, etc...

Am I missing something about how to do this???
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #966
MrBug708
Head Coach

I was playing as Notre Dame and I received an invitation to play in the MAC! So i took it! Woot!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #967
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm not about to wade through this thread to find the answer to this question...has anyone played the regular XBox version? Is it decent? The last version I bought was 2005 and I'm wondering if there's enough of an upgrade to spend the $40 on it...

Thanks for any help!

I have it for the regular xbox. You can't "play" as a HS recruit and get recruited that way, you can only do some of the skills challenges to get your points. It's just a more updated version of 06 IMO but still fun
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #968
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I am having the same problem with my game. After the signing day I get the option to name them and I always select yes and still my rosters have always been default HB #23, etc...

This worked fine for me on the 360 version.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #969
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post

I;m having the same problem as well
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #970
Kodos
Resident Alien

Turnovers are killing me. I've adjusted the sliders (O int, 100 knockdown, awareness down). Against the Akron Zips with 7 minute quarters, I fumbled the opening kickoff, and proceeded to have a 4 pick, 3 int game. The zips threw 3 ints as well, and may have had one fumble too. I use the cover up button when in traffic. Not sure what to do. The interceptions are no doubt a result of me sucking, but the fumbles are getting annoying.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:02 AM   #971
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Finally, finally, FINALLY! Good god. I'm a RB in my 2nd year in CL mode and I was ready to throw the game out the window. Ohio State was 1-5, with one of the worst defenses in the country (30+ PPG allowed, T-2 on turnover margin). Here are the results for the season thus far:

vs Akron 23-34 L
@ Washington 16-29 L
vs North Texas 52-31 W!!!
vs Penn State 6-30 L
vs Northern Illinois 17-40 L
@ Wisconsin 14-27 L

1-5 with my RB player averaging over 200 rushing/receiving yards per game. Frustration city.

Then, my defense finally played like Ohio State and my QB didn't throw 5600 picks and we freaking beat Minnesota 28-10. And yes, I turned the INT slider to zero several games ago.

Hopefully we can least make a freaking bowl game and start to play like a title contender before I get the hell out of there...good god team, get it together...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #972
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Turnovers are killing me. I've adjusted the sliders (O int, 100 knockdown, awareness down). Against the Akron Zips with 7 minute quarters, I fumbled the opening kickoff, and proceeded to have a 4 pick, 3 int game. The zips threw 3 ints as well, and may have had one fumble too. I use the cover up button when in traffic. Not sure what to do. The interceptions are no doubt a result of me sucking, but the fumbles are getting annoying.

Per the Gameinformer Preview, Madden also has too many interceptions and fumbles and supposedly the developers are aware of it and already working on a patch to correct both issues. It makes me hope that NCAA will also have a patch to reduce turnovers, although I'm still enjoying the game with sliders.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #973
Ragone
Pro Rookie

ok bigdpw and greyroofoo i figured it out..

i had to delete my profile/roster file/settings. that somehow allowed it to randomly name my players in cl mode. after that you can change the settings etc..
Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #974
Kodos
Resident Alien

My next game only had 2 turnovers, so that was better. I still suck. Although we did beat Marshall.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #975
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Per the Gameinformer Preview, Madden also has too many interceptions and fumbles and supposedly the developers are aware of it and already working on a patch to correct both issues. It makes me hope that NCAA will also have a patch to reduce turnovers, although I'm still enjoying the game with sliders.

This is what is killing dynasty mode for me. Over the first 4 games I've played I've only thrown 1 pick but I've had 22 fumbles, of which I only recovered 1. I just can't handle it.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #976
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
This is what is killing dynasty mode for me. Over the first 4 games I've played I've only thrown 1 pick but I've had 22 fumbles, of which I only recovered 1. I just can't handle it.

I'm just not seeing all this stuff you guys are seeing. Perhaps, some people just aren't that good? I get picked off probably 2-3 times a game with my BC QB but almost all of them are terrible throws. I rarely fumble. The machine throws 1-2 INTs a game and also rarely fumbles. I've played 6 games on AA and no adjustments. I sit 3-3.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #977
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's odd that some people see a ton of fumbles and others don't. I've hardly fumbled with the USC backs. Occasionally, my WR's will fumble one if they get hit right after catching it, but I have about 10 (4 in one game) in 8 games of my dynasty and the CPU hasn't had too many either.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #978
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

The whole fumbles thing is getting to me. I can handle it when it feels right, for example you pull a special move in traffic, or you bounce off a tackler and get lit by the next guy, wr receiver across the middle, blindsided qb. I understand that there should also be a few random fumbles in low risk situations but it's been absurd. I've been using the cover ball button more but it's hard to tell if it's doing something. The carry rating of the two backs i've been using isn't too low (86 and 84) but I'm on track for 60+ fumbles. I think the number should be down in the 20's. I'm working up the will to play again and am just hoping it's an abbaration.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #979
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
The whole fumbles thing is getting to me. I can handle it when it feels right, for example you pull a special move in traffic, or you bounce off a tackler and get lit by the next guy, wr receiver across the middle, blindsided qb. I understand that there should also be a few random fumbles in low risk situations but it's been absurd. I've been using the cover ball button more but it's hard to tell if it's doing something. The carry rating of the two backs i've been using isn't too low (86 and 84) but I'm on track for 60+ fumbles. I think the number should be down in the 20's. I'm working up the will to play again and am just hoping it's an abbaration.

Are you covering up the ball?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #980
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not seeing that many fumbles either. I can't figure out why some people are and some people aren't.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #981
bignej
High School JV

Why should you have a cover the ball option that is selectable I love the game but the fumbles are really bothersome. I want the player to naturally cover up just like the manually hurdle and juke occasionally. The juke stick is WORTHLESS if you don't want to fumble.

Last edited by bignej : 07-28-2007 at 12:59 PM.
bignej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #982
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it is because the USC backs are very good, but I juke frequently and they still rarely fumble. However, I never juke unless it is a 1 on 1 situation.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #983
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Maybe it is because the USC backs are very good, but I juke frequently and they still rarely fumble. However, I never juke unless it is a 1 on 1 situation.

I agree...if you're about to get tackled by a couple guys...just take the hits and go down. I try and accelerate through the hole, get to the second level and if I break it, great. If not, I'll take my 5-7 yards and be happy with it and holding onto the ball.

I think with this game more than any other, if you try and do too much, with the tackling being what it is, you're going to mess up.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #984
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think people just like to bitch about something.

I'm seeing variance, and to me that's a good thing.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #985
Ironhead
College Prospect

Right now the one thing I am unhappy about is the general lack of firepower from the CPU offense. They don't seem to try and take advantage of clear mismatches. It looks like this will be another NCAA version that I play the game on All-American difficulty when on offense and then bump it up to Heisman when the CPU goes on offense.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #986
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I will say recruiting is already boring for me. I pick the targets and offer scholarships and let the CPU make the phone calls.

EA really needs to start adding some gameplay immersion though. It seems kind of bland after playing a game of APF before hand.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #987
markprior22
High School Varsity

I really enjoy recruiting so far. This is the first console game in a long, long time where I find myself playing for a hour after I had planned to stop. This happens sometimes with PC games but it is rare for me on the console. Haven't played APF yet. I definitely won't buy it without a career mode...might give it a rental sometime.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #988
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just had my most enjoyable game. I turned down Defensive Awareness one more notch to 25 and upped tackling and break block to 45. I also turned knock downs to 95. Neither side threw a pick, but it was a defensive battle between USC and Cal for the first half. Then in the 2nd half, it was wide open football. We barely got by with a 33-28 win. Longshore and DeSean Jackson were very dangerous all game long.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-28-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #989
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I really enjoy recruiting so far. This is the first console game in a long, long time where I find myself playing for a hour after I had planned to stop. This happens sometimes with PC games but it is rare for me on the console. Haven't played APF yet. I definitely won't buy it without a career mode...might give it a rental sometime.

Hey, to each his own. It just takes too much time and I'd rather be playing games.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #990
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Are you covering up the ball?

I have been, even during those high fumble games. I had 4 in my last one but two were reversed on challanges and the other two were when the players were covering the ball. One was my QB and he kinda bounced off someone, then got rocked, so that was OK. The other was in the open field, near the sideline, when someguy hit my back who was covering the ball, and had it in the sideline arm (he was hit field side with a glancing blow). It's still frusterating but when there aren't so many the game is fun. I kinda wonder if it has something to do with the replay system and maybe wanting to have to many plays challanged or something? I dunno.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #991
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Also side note, just played the Heels, Richie Rich? Parents are crazy.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #992
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

My biggest gripe in the game is a small one, but still a gripe.

Adjusting my Depth Chart. Man, this is SO LAME. I remember when it was so much easier, but now they've made it so clunky and horrible. It needs to reload when I make a move but then everything resets and shows every player being a possible replacement for my QB, so I have to scroll down a half mile just to find the right guy. Hopefully it will be cleaned up once I get used to it, since maybe I'm doing something wrong.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #993
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post

Adjusting my Depth Chart. Man, this is SO LAME. I remember when it was so much easier, but now they've made it so clunky and horrible. It needs to reload when I make a move but then everything resets and shows every player being a possible replacement for my QB, so I have to scroll down a half mile just to find the right guy. Hopefully it will be cleaned up once I get used to it, since maybe I'm doing something wrong.

You aren't doing anything wrong. I think it is a bug that reverses everyone by overall ability at the position on the replacement chart, and I agree that it is very annoying.

I'm in the middle of another great game with these sliders. My only complaint is the CPU QB might be too effective, but that is much better than the inepitude of the CPU QB in past years on AA.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 PM   #994
Ragone
Pro Rookie

#1 qb in the nation coming out of high school(campus legend).. everyone wants me.. where should i go?

wanna stay out of the top 10 or so
Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #995
Anthony
Banned

it doesn't seem to matter where you go, as even if you're buried deep on the depth chart it doesn't take an insane amount of time to eventually be the starter. i went to Miami as the #5 RB and by the 9th game in i was the starter.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #996
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
#1 qb in the nation coming out of high school(campus legend).. everyone wants me.. where should i go?

wanna stay out of the top 10 or so

Hawaii.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #997
Radii
Head Coach

I think its actually better to go somewhere that you don't start. As you practice and leapfrog over people, you gain ratings. I've started two different careers, one at Georgia Tech as the 5th string back, and one at North Carolina as the starter. In both I started with a 78 overall rating. But working my way up from 5th to 1st, I was the starter after th e 6th game or so of my freshman year, and at the start of my sophomore year my ratings had jumped to 91. Starting at UNC i don't get any big bumps from practice, and my ratings are only up to an 86 overall late in my Junior season.

I quit my Ga Tech career, but I might go back and play another one after this one is completed where I start as a 5th stringer and work my way up, I want to get on a good team and get my ratings into the upper 90s(hopefully) by my senior year and try to just put up ridiculous numbers.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #998
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Got into my first game as a player in my RB CL career. Got from 4th -> 3rd on the depth chart, then had a home game against North Carolina (I'm on South Florida). Got in on a kick return and extra point coverage, then suddenly was in on most offensive plays. Found out later that at least the starter went down, haven't checked yet to see what happened to second string. Caught a swing pass on my first play, took two steps, got blasted and fumbled. Was my only fumble though on 30+ carries and a handful of receptions.

We ended up losing a tight one 28-21, with me getting stuffed on the goalline on a 4th-and-goal from the 4 inside of 2 minutes left. 7 trips to the red zone by my team, with 2 TDs, 1 missed FG, 1 stop on 4th down, and 3 INTs. I'll be uploading video of the goal-line stuff later, it was a great gaming moment for me.

On the INTs, I was on the field for 4 by my QB, and in at least 2 he threw into coverage (triple-coverage in one case), but in the 2 others I think my least favorite football game bug kicked in, one that's bugged in ESPN NFL 2k5, Madden 06, and probably every other game I've QB'ed in: the CBs break for the ball, receivers don't. If the receivers had been playing the ball, they would not have been nearly as likely to get picked. But a receiver keeps blissfully running the route, while the CB sees the ball coming and breaks off pursuit to get to the ball. Isn't that supposed to be the other way around, where the WR can fool the DB, then break off at the last second to make the catch? I can see why turning down awareness helps with the problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #999
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

I think the problem with fumbles may be with the players you have. I frequently fumble if I try to juke...granted, my players are from Army so they're not the best. The last few games I've played I haven't fumbled as much (maybe 1 per game). But that's because I've been using the coverup button a lot.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #1000
Voo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post

Im pretty sure you can sort by overall rating by pressing X on the 360 version, which brings the legit replacements to the top.
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote