Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #951
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Liverpool vs Chelski and the Mouth today - should be good (though I sadly, will be at work). At what point does Mourinho stop carping? The man has spent somewhere in the region of 300 million pounds the last 3 years - its damn right that he should have won something - anything.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #952
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
SirFozzie, forget about exciting relegation battles at the 5th highest level, nothing beats three teams tied in points at the top of the league with only one round of games left. AZ, Ajax or PSV, place your bets now. Although, it would have been more fun had all of the respective opponents in that last weekend still been battling against relegation, like they were going into the next to last round.

Yeah, the Dutch league has really livened up, thanks to PSV's collapse over the last couple of months. They really looked to have it in the bag at one point, but now it seems unlikely that PSV will be champs. I'll be hoping for AZ to pull it off, I'd like to see Shota Arveladze win another championship medal.

A few league titles are going down to the wire. The English League could still go to Chelsea or Man Utd, Germany is still close between Schalke (who are famous for throwing away titles), Werder and Stuttgart, Spain could still see Barcelona, Sevilla or Real Madrid win. Going to be a great few weeks before the long boring months of summer.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #953
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Actually, I think we'll be disappointed as I thought I heard Derek Rae say that Seamus Mallon (sp.?) and the other guy whose name I can't remember are doing today's match. So there will be no bulges in the old onion bag today.

Woohoo! (Not that it makes much difference to me, I'll be watching at work with the tv's sound turned down.)

I met Derek Rae a few years ago in a bar in Boston when he was still working for New England Revolution. At the time he was commentating with a bad fake American accent, he said the league had told him to try and sound American as that would go over better with American viewers. Not sure what's changed that he's now back with his real accent.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #954
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Chelsea play almost nothing but games that are painful to watch

Like the 2-2 draw in Barcelona, or the league match at White Hart Lane, or the 3-3 FA Cup quarterfinal? Or our comeback against Everton, or . . .

Ask us to break down a packed defence and we're boring as hell. But when the other team actually attacks, we get into a number of very good games.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #955
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
its damn right that he should have won something - anything.

What, Premiership titles don't count for anything anymore?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #956
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Like the 2-2 draw in Barcelona, or the league match at White Hart Lane, or the 3-3 FA Cup quarterfinal? Or our comeback against Everton, or . . .

Ask us to break down a packed defence and we're boring as hell. But when the other team actually attacks, we get into a number of very good games.

I agree there, the first game against Tottenham this Season is still a contender for EPL Match of the Year IMO.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 AM   #957
Critch
lolzcat

I agree that Chelsea can be entertaining, but over the last few weeks they've really been grinding out the results. Solid at the back, strong in midfield, and relying on Drogba or one of the supporting midfielders to make the most of the few chances that will fall their way.

Mourinho is a fairly conservative manager at the best of times, add in the fact that Robben is out and Cole is only just coming back and you're left with a team that overloads central midfield with Lampard/Essien/Ballack/Makelele. Put them up against another conservative team like Liverpool and it's odds-on you're not going to see a goal-fest or a classic.

Without Robben and Cole playing wide, there's not a lot of flair left in the Chelsea team. Drogba's worth watching, other than him Shevchenko/Ballack/Lampard have all been disappointing. All that's left to entertain is trying to work out what Terry is complaining to the ref about and the on-going comedy that is SWP.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #958
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Oh, I definitely agree that we're towards the boring/result-grinding end of the spectrum. I just don't think we're nearly as far in that direction as the stereotype would have it.

It also helps somewhat that we've mostly stopped playing what someone on a Chelsea forum I frequent has dubbed the 'death of football' midfield. Because as you say, that's just ugly. Between Kalou adapting to England and SWP finally starting to look like a professional footballer again, we've been playing at least three out-and-out attacking players in all our matches recently. SWP has been in central midfield for some of that, admittedly, but having him there isn't quite the same as having four out-and-out central midfielders with no pace or width whatsoever.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #959
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Oh, I definitely agree that we're towards the boring/result-grinding end of the spectrum.

But what delicious irony if they should lose the EPL title on goal difference

Last edited by Mac Howard : 04-26-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #960
Katon
College Benchwarmer

That's the official justification for why we have goal difference (and one I agree with). Is it irony if it's intentional?

I really hope that doesn't happen though - partly because it would be frustrating as hell, but also because I can imagine Jose's and the press's reactions if that Boro penalty decision wound up making the difference in the title race all too easily.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #961
Critch
lolzcat

Wow. What a day, amazing stuff. Don't want to give up an spoilers, but WOW again.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #962
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Wow. What a day, amazing stuff. Don't want to give up an spoilers, but WOW again.

No Kidding!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #963
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That comeback was awesome and bizarre at the same time. Loved Phil Neville coming over to Fergie at the end for a pat on the cheek and some kind words. Rooney has raised his game right when we have needed him to down the stretch, he's playing so much better than he has during most of the season.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #964
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
That comeback was awesome and bizarre at the same time. Loved Phil Neville coming over to Fergie at the end for a pat on the cheek and some kind words. Rooney has raised his game right when we have needed him to down the stretch, he's playing so much better than he has during most of the season.

Yeah, I love the way Rooney is playing right now...and the way Chelsea can't put it away when they need to.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #965
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Use the spoiler tag.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #966
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Use the spoiler tag.

I assumed anybody who cared would know where to look to find the full story

Spoiler
Old 04-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #967
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Wigan is offically sweating.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #968
MJ4H
Coordinator

I assumed thats what you were referring to, but just trying to be helpful in case youd forgotten about the spoiler tag.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #969
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Derby County's loss this morning means that Birmingham City and Sunderland have both clinched automatic promotion to the Premiership.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #970
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Derby County's loss this morning means that Birmingham City and Sunderland have both clinched automatic promotion to the Premiership.

Sunderland shows that players will play better when they live in fear of the manager (Roy Keane), and Birmingham show that if you loan enough Arsenal reserves not even a useless manager (Steve Bruce) can mess it up.

Sam Allardyce resigned from Bolton today too, there have been a lot of rumors linking him with the Man City job. Be interesting to see what he can do there, if the rumors are true.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #971
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:

Not to mention that Leeds look certain to drop to League 1 for the first time in team history. Can anyone beat the decline from Champions League semifinalists to third-tier football in six years?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #972
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel View Post
Not to mention that Leeds look certain to drop to League 1 for the first time in team history. Can anyone beat the decline from Champions League semifinalists to third-tier football in six years?

Really really interesting question. I'm interested to know this myself.

Related, the self delusion of idiots never ceases to astound me. And this is on a day that Sepp Blatter spoke publicly...

"It is 12 months since they were in the play-off final yet people say decisions made years ago caused this situation, which is not the case" - Peter Ridsdale

Note that he's talking about a team that still had to sell their own stadium to keep from going bankrupt. They're currently renting for a million pounds a year.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #973
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, Cambridge United beat Tamworth 1-0, they're staying up!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #974
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Really really interesting question. I'm interested to know this myself.

Related, the self delusion of idiots never ceases to astound me. And this is on a day that Sepp Blatter spoke publicly...

"It is 12 months since they were in the play-off final yet people say decisions made years ago caused this situation, which is not the case" - Peter Ridsdale

Note that he's talking about a team that still had to sell their own stadium to keep from going bankrupt. They're currently renting for a million pounds a year.

AFAIK Nottingham F****t are the only European Champions who have ever plied their trade in the third tier of their domestic league, so it's not too much of a stretch to think Leeds' fall from grace is unique.

And it is being reported that they are in svere danger of going into administration, which would mean a 10 point penalty next season.

As F****t are our big rivals, and Dennis Wise (who gives golfers the yips btw) is one of our most hated individual targets, (and now we're safe ourselves!) I would like to sum up the two situations thus:

(If Wise leaves then I have a genuine tremendous amount of sympathy towards Leeds, having lived there for three years)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #975
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the Austrian League is a tough league.. That only got a yellow card
Old 05-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #976
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Sunderland shows that players will play better when they live in fear of the manager (Roy Keane), and Birmingham show that if you loan enough Arsenal reserves not even a useless manager (Steve Bruce) can mess it up.
Though I know you're joking, I think there IS truth to that assertion. However, it is short-lived. The manager has to be able to prove that he can be more in, I think, about 2 seasons at most.
Quote:
Birmingham show that if you loan enough Arsenal reserves not even a useless manager (Steve Bruce) can mess it up.
They would have been even better if they'd also loan in Lupoli. I think he makes a great tandem with Bendtner (who may be a SMIDGE overrated, given all his hype . . . I'll decide next year).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #977
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Reading is killing me. They're seriously mucking up the UEFA cup picture and i'm going to want to cry if Tottenham don't qualify. Also, it pains me twice as much because Steve Coppell seems to keep trying to sabotage his team and they keep freaking winning. He has said flat-out that he doesn't want to qualify for Europe but his players refuse to listen and just keep beating people. You can tell he's asking himself "what do we have to do to lose a game right now?"

Right now it looks way to clear that Tottenham will have control of their own fate and then blow it at home the final weekend. Did I choose the soccer equivelant of the Jets to support, because this feels REALLY familiar?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #978
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Short version? Yes.

I would like to repeat that one feat again where we clinched at WHL.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #979
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I would like to repeat that one feat again where we clinched at WHL.

Understandable... it must be nice to play in a stadium where the crowd makes noise.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #980
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Did I choose the soccer equivelant of the Jets to support, because this feels REALLY familiar?

Not the equivalent of the Jets, Tottenham are lovable losers.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #981
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man, go Liverpool today! It would be sweat to see Chelsea's premiership and CL hopes die 3 days apart.

but my actual prediction for today: 2-1 Liverpool, Chelsea through on away goals. *grumble*

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 05-01-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #982
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Reading is killing me. They're seriously mucking up the UEFA cup picture and i'm going to want to cry if Tottenham don't qualify. Also, it pains me twice as much because Steve Coppell seems to keep trying to sabotage his team and they keep freaking winning. He has said flat-out that he doesn't want to qualify for Europe but his players refuse to listen and just keep beating people. You can tell he's asking himself "what do we have to do to lose a game right now?"

You believe him? BWAHAHAHA

Coppell's an excellent manager isn't he?

related link http://www.footballmanager.net/en/article/19/1430.html
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #983
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
You believe him? BWAHAHAHA

Coppell's an excellent manager isn't he?

related link http://www.footballmanager.net/en/article/19/1430.html

I genuinely believe him though. We've seen the sophomore slump, we've seen teams go from European qualification to crashing and burning... you add this to a team that's in the Premiership for the first time in their entire history and you've got a dangerous situation.

1. They've got the big 4 drooling over a couple players already (Sidwell is all but at Man U already, from everything I've heard).

2. You need to bring in more players if you're going to make a serious run in Europe.

3. By all accounts chemistry is a major factor in Reading's success, and he's worried about disrupting it.

So you could possibly have a lot of turnover in the clubhouse this offseason, could dip in the standings possibly even into a relegation battle, and than have disgruntled players (and more than you need) come 2008-2009.

As an outside observer I think that the borderline European teams are the ones who walk the finest line. I mean, shit... there seems to be a very real chance that Tottenham loses Berbatov if they don't qualify for UEFA again, and I can kind of understand it. It's easiest if you just know you either will or wont be in Europe basically every year.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #984
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Oh I get the argument, I just don't see Reading focusing on a UEFA run if they get in. Worst case they play their reserves.

Every manager has a list of players they'd like to acquire who they think will fit and Reading's no different. Since Sidwell's leaving they'll need to retool their team anyway and probably drop a few players as well. The extra cash from finishing higher and a few UEFA games can't hurt.

Coppell and Reading and good enough to avoid pulling an Ipswich. Or a West Ham.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #985
Critch
lolzcat

So anybody want to be part owner of an English football team?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6611729.stm

hxxp://myfootballclub.co.uk/
Old 05-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #986
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So anybody want to be part owner of an English football team?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6611729.stm

hxxp://myfootballclub.co.uk/

Interesting, Cambridge United is #1 on the list right now. (yes, that was my choice)
Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #987
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Good to see ManU get knocked out and the All-English Champions League Final avoided...

Too bad it had to be one of the cheaters that kept it from happening though.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #988
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Good to see ManU get knocked out and the All-English Champions League Final avoided...

Too bad it had to be one of the cheaters that kept it from happening though.

Who, what?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #989
Katon
College Benchwarmer

He's talking about Milan's role in the Serie A mess.

I'm also slightly reluctant to root for them after all of that, but better them than United or Liverpool.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #990
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Sweet - a replay of Istanbul. Now I'm torn as to whether to root for Chelski or ManU in the FA cup final. There's a part of me that would be laughing out loud if Chelsea's net winnings for the year were the Carling Cup.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #991
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

I'm also slightly reluctant to root for them after all of that, but better them than United or Liverpool.

Ah, gotcha.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #992
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Sweet - a replay of Istanbul. Now I'm torn as to whether to root for Chelski or ManU in the FA cup final. There's a part of me that would be laughing out loud if Chelsea's net winnings for the year were the Carling Cup.

Difficult decision. But I think a Man Utd double (assuming they win the league) would be a small price to pay to see "The Special One" bow out of Chelsea with only a League Cup this season to show for a 500mil investment, as the Liverpool chief exec said this morning.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #993
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

No matter what anyone thinks about Man Utd, I find it pretty reprehensible that a club who arguably shouldn't even be in the competition because they were convicted of cheating actually ends up in the final. Milan have a very talented squad, but I have no respect for them as a club. I fail to see why they should have been given the opportunity to compete in the Champions League in the first place. Of course it's all water under the bridge now.

This said, my opinion of Italian football since the '06 World Cup has gone down considerably. Between the diving, the bribery and now this injustice (stick the 5th place team in the Champions League if you have any sense of self-respect Serie A, but Milan...), I can't take Italian football seriously.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #994
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
This said, my opinion of Italian football since the '06 World Cup has gone down considerably. Between the diving, the bribery and now this injustice (stick the 5th place team in the Champions League if you have any sense of self-respect Serie A, but Milan...), I can't take Italian football seriously.

This is exactly where I'm at. I'd also add in fan violence as one of my reasons though. It's clearly the most out of control league in that regard.

This video gets interesting at 1:04. I don't know how they got a moped into the stadium, or why they're throwing it off balcony, but this just doesn't seem exactly safe to me.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #995
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
This video gets interesting at 1:04. I don't know how they got a moped into the stadium, or why they're throwing it off balcony, but this just doesn't seem exactly safe to me.

Holy crap I never understood how they could sneak the flares in ... but a freaking moped. Good grief.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #996
Butter
Coordinator

They sneaked it in piece by piece... spent the first half assembling it... then by the end of the game, they were ready to throw!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #997
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Holy crap I never understood how they could sneak the flares in ... but a freaking moped. Good grief.

I don't think the flares are sneaked into the grounds. It may have changed now, but until recently flares were allowed into stadiums in many European countries.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #998
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What they do in a lot of cases is the supporters club is allowed in the day before at a lot of places to hang banners and stuff, and they sneak the stuff in then, and just pick it up the next day.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #999
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
They sneaked it in piece by piece... spent the first half assembling it... then by the end of the game, they were ready to throw!
Thank you, Radar O' Reily
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #1000
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I don't think the flares are sneaked into the grounds. It may have changed now, but until recently flares were allowed into stadiums in many European countries.

Good grief. What is the possible justification for needing a flare at a soccer/football game?

Well, I guess if you're moped breaks down/gets tossed over the banister at the game you can use the flare to attract assistance.