Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #951
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
Getting realistic results?

Only got time for three quarters of a game, but it seemed to be rushed. Maybe allowing 8-9 minute quarters. You only have a second or two to make presnap adjustments on defense, so if you're not a quick ajduster, forget about it.

Had several AI farts, guy throwing into triple coverage with TE open over the middle. Guys not following blocks properly.. btw, you can tell it's NOT madden's engine they're using I think, or an older version of Madden.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #952
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Had several AI farts, guy throwing into triple coverage with TE open over the middle. Guys not following blocks properly.. btw, you can tell it's NOT madden's engine they're using I think, or an older version of Madden.
Next time Jake Plummer throws a pass into triple coverage or Kevan Barlow ignores his blockers, I'll just consider it an AI fart.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #953
Izulde
Head Coach

Just got home with it but unfortunately I'll only get an hour and half worth of playing in before work.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #954
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Well, I just found my game killer....not that I was impressed with the demo in the least bit to begin with.

Is a demo file available somewhere ?
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #955
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
Is a demo file available somewhere ?
Yeah, earlier in this thread.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #956
dbd1963
High School JV

Looks like my copy has an installation glitch of some kind. It's hung up at 31% for thirty minutes.

UPDATE -- looks as if it was my crappy Dell laptop. I'm having no trouble putting it on a five year old Toshiba Satellite P4. Go figure.

Last edited by dbd1963 : 06-21-2006 at 01:23 PM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #957
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Yeah, earlier in this thread.

damn, I can't find it....still looking.
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #958
Izulde
Head Coach

Ugh, C-Pep's not on the Dolphins. Oh well, guess that means I know what position I'll be drafting.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #959
SunDevil
College Prospect

Demo Link

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=560
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #960
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil

thx a LOT !
Old 06-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #961
KWhit
Coordinator

When somebody completes a game or two (that you actually play out) can you post the boxscore? I'm interested in the number of plays you can realistically get in a game.

I just ran a test with the demo and played the first half as fast as I possibly could. I didn't make any motivational speaches, I called the plays as fast as possible (usually just taking the recommendation for speed's sake), I called all 3 of my time outs to stop the clock, etc. Basically, I wanted to see how many plays I could get in playing as fast as possible.

The grand total in the entire half: 10 plays. Now this is just in one half of play with 1 minute quarters, but still! I was speeding through - taking no time whatsoever to think about the game or strategy of anything.

If we do the math, that will equal about 80 plays in a full game with 5 minute quarters. That's only about 2/3 of what is average in the NFL (around 120 plays per game).
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #962
Izulde
Head Coach

Wheehee! I'm firing most of my staff. I love this part.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #963
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
When somebody completes a game or two (that you actually play out) can you post the boxscore? I'm interested in the number of plays you can realistically get in a game.

I just ran a test with the demo and played the first half as fast as I possibly could. I didn't make any motivational speaches, I called the plays as fast as possible (usually just taking the recommendation for speed's sake), I called all 3 of my time outs to stop the clock, etc. Basically, I wanted to see how many plays I could get in playing as fast as possible.

The grand total in the entire half: 10 plays. Now this is just in one half of play with 1 minute quarters, but still! I was speeding through - taking no time whatsoever to think about the game or strategy of anything.

If we do the math, that will equal about 80 plays in a full game with 5 minute quarters. That's only about 2/3 of what is average in the NFL (around 120 plays per game).

I'll post some box scores when I get to that part of the game.

I've been playing just the 1st week since I got it. Staff firing and hiring is very cool.

Things I like:

You can't tell how good a coach is before you hire him in that you can't see his ratings. I fired Marty Morningweg because I just couldn't see him as my OC. He had poor QB knowledge and poor strategy. He was strong in OL and WR. I thought I would get a better guy to replace him. This guy was viewed by my Scouting director as a very good QB guru that I hired. I liked his answers in the interview. However, it turns out he is something of a dud. Sure, he is GREAT with QB's. However, his WR and OL knowledge are low and overall he is signficantly lower than Marty was

Speaking of the Scouting Director. Yes, every team has their own scouting director. Unfortunately, on the Eagles, my scouting director SUCKS. I think that is a bit unrealistic, but it will certainly increase the challenge since the SD answers only to the owner and I can't fire him!

Things that I didn't like:

I fired my D-Line Coach. I interviewed several candidates and all of them talked about their offensive strategies as well. I'm hiring you to be a D-Line coach, don't talk offense to me! They did have one or two extra specific D-Line type questions, but it could have been done much better.

Despite that, hiring and firing has been fun. Time to start re-signing my players
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #964
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

IGN has a review up - 7.2 overall

http://pc.ign.com/articles/713/713681p1.html

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #965
Izulde
Head Coach

The limited number of interviews you have available to you really ticks me off, since I have a QB coach, WR coach, and ST coach. That's it. And the one guy I really wanted to hire for my RB coach was an asshat in negotiations.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #966
Icy
Pro Starter

Reading the comments from the guys who already own it the game could have been named "job interview manager".

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #967
Izulde
Head Coach

I think I may have run across a bug.... I went to interview this guy and I swear it said 91 for TE, so I hire him as my TE coach. ...Imagine my shock when it comes up that he's rated 13 as a TE coach, with 47 for TEs.

Needless to say, I had to do some coach juggling positions.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #968
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I think I may have run across a bug.... I went to interview this guy and I swear it said 91 for TE, so I hire him as my TE coach. ...Imagine my shock when it comes up that he's rated 13 as a TE coach, with 47 for TEs.

Needless to say, I had to do some coach juggling positions.

He rigged his resume. Fire him for improper conduct.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #969
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Forgot to mention that I like the job offer screens where it gives a nice overview of each of the teams offering a job including team goals that the owner has, star players, cap situation, etc. My owner in Philly wants us to draft a RB that has a max overall rating of 75 or greater. This could be problematic since my Scouting director is an asshat. I've had him scout a lot of HB's and he thinks they all stink. He has a horrible HB knowledge rating and a bad talent evaluation skill. I can see why the owner wants me to get a HB though, since my scout thinks all of our current HB's besides Westbrook are horrible. He doesn't even think that highly of Westbrook although he admits that he is a very good receiving back.

Anyway, I just went through the staff re-signing period. I managed to get Jon Runyan back very cheaply (about 3 million a year.) I also got Keith Adams back who my LB coach wanted me to keep. My OL coach really wanted me to keep Runyan and Tra Thomas. I was worried that everyone was signing too cheap, but Thomas did want a 3 year deal for about 7 million a year with a decent size signing bonus.

During all of these stages, I'm using my periods of "office time" to add plays to my playbook. I'm greatly expanding my offensive playbook. Hopefully, it doesn't become too many plays for the guys to remember.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-21-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #970
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
IGN has a review up - 7.2 overall

http://pc.ign.com/articles/713/713681p1.html

Here is the reason I'll wait for trusted FOFC reviewers.

This clown doesn't even mention the five minute quarters. Instead, he explains what is really missing from the game: "EA manages to capture the hectic life of a coach while he's on the clock, but it would have been nice to get a girlfriend, buy a motorcycle or spend hours on the golf course like a real coach... [It] would have added a lot of character and some humor to this very serious position."
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #971
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Can anyone confirm if the game is missing gamelogs? That just sounds strange for a game like this.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #972
Izulde
Head Coach

Well, I wound up with three positions unfulfilled and the owner reamed my ass.

What I think I'm going to do though is experiment when I get home by starting a new game where I fire my entire staff.

Then, after each interview I have, I'll offer the guy a position on the staff, just to see the exact number of interviews we can have in a given period.

Ideally there'll be as many interviews allowed as there are total staff positions, so I can have some semblance of building the staff entirely of my handpicked guys.

If there isn't, I'm going to be a little annoyed because starting off with a clean house is one of the priveleges you should be able to have as the new head coach, but we'll see.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #973
dbd1963
High School JV

I noticed that, while you could interview former HCs for coordinator positions, you couldn't tell what they would be good at before you interview them. That seems strange. Shouldn't I already know these guys, at least by reputation and what they've done in their careers? I mean, they are former HCs.

So I also got chewed out by the owner because I couldn't hire a DC. All the former HCs I wanted to check out turned out to want the OC job. The one DC I looked at was a tool.

Some of the answers they'll give you are funny too.

I don't know when the owner gets around to hiring these guys, because their chairs are still empty a week later.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #974
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Um....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IGN review
One of the nice touches we haven't seen in Madden, for instance, is that the incoming draft class is actually made up of the real class of 2006 since they are technically out of college football. So if you want Reggie Bush in your backfield, make a play for him. Controlling the Chiefs, I happily traded away Priest Holmes and a draft pick to get Bush in my lineup next to Larry Johnson. Watch out AFC West!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #975
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Originally Posted by The IGN review
One of the nice touches we haven't seen in Madden 94, for instance, is that the incoming draft class is actually made up of the real class of 2006 since they are technically out of college football. So if you want Reggie Bush in your backfield, make a play for him. Controlling the Chiefs, I happily traded away Priest Holmes and a draft pick to get Bush in my lineup next to Larry Johnson. Watch out AFC West!

Fixed it for him.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #976
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've just finished the first trading period, and I found the trade AI to be fairly good. I tried to trade away Mike McMahon and the best I could get was a 6th round pick for him IF I threw in a 7th rounder

I did find my first bug. It's easy to avoid, but also easy to exploit without even realizing it. I accidently signed a player during RFA that was an unrestricted FA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I shouldn't have been able to sign that player until April at the earliest, right?

In any case, realizing that is a likely bug alleviated my concern that no one else was bidding on top FA's and I was getting them too easily.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #977
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963
I noticed that, while you could interview former HCs for coordinator positions, you couldn't tell what they would be good at before you interview them. That seems strange. Shouldn't I already know these guys, at least by reputation and what they've done in their careers? I mean, they are former HCs.

So I also got chewed out by the owner because I couldn't hire a DC. All the former HCs I wanted to check out turned out to want the OC job. The one DC I looked at was a tool.

Some of the answers they'll give you are funny too.

I don't know when the owner gets around to hiring these guys, because their chairs are still empty a week later.

Did you try rotating through the positions? I know it can be damn tough to tell between the OC and the DC, but both options are there. EA really should have used a better font so that the O and D are easier to distinguish.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #978
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I did find my first bug. It's easy to avoid, but also easy to exploit without even realizing it. I accidently signed a player during RFA that was an unrestricted FA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I shouldn't have been able to sign that player until April at the earliest, right?

Was he a true FA? (Was he on a team at the end of the 2005 season and his contract expired?) I think teams can still sign guys that weren't on teams at any time..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #979
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Fixed it for him.
I thought the point was that there was garish AI in place, if you can trade a 30 year old priest holmes and presumedly what was not a first round pick(the guy would have said "first rounder" instead of draft pick) to get in a position to take reggie bush.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #980
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I

In the "real NFL" they both start at the same time around the beginig of march.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #981
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, this game has a distinct UFA period that starts in April and now teams are trying to sign FA's, while the player was able to sign them in March. Maybe teams were signing non restricted FA's in March, but I didn't see any of the big names getting signed. Now, I do. I'm finally coming up to the draft. I can't believe I've spent so many hours just getting to the draft. Then again, it has been fun. The most repetitive part of the game has been only being able to add 2 playbooks to my gameplan each office period. I wish I could just do them all at once and then be able to sim ahead some. However, my gameplan/playbook should be relatively set soon as long as I don't change my philosophy (in which case the playbook resets to reflect the new philosophy.)

I really like how the scouting is done. As has been mentioned before, your scouts think everyone is great (or almost everyone) until they take a closer look. Then, usually the top number comes down and the gap narrows. Players from big schools might be able to be scouted with only 1 "scouting session." Guys from smaller schools can take 3-4 sessions to fully scout them. That being said, over the past 8-12 game weeks I've scouted 60 or 70 potential draftees to "Well Scouted" status. I'll post my draft results in a bit.

Oh yeah, I'm getting offered trades, but the trades are generally crazy one sided in favor of the AI. Some offers that stood out: Marty Booker for Donovan McNabb. Darren Howard fo Donovan. Orlando Ruff for Tra Thomas. I actually had one trade that I considered: Eric Moulds for Roderick Hood (who is rated suprisingly decently.) Oh yeah, besides Reggie Bush, my scout hates the running backs in this draft. DeAngelo Williams is second on his list and he rates him 51-68. Reggie Bush is a 68-83 according to my scout. Chris Gogong who I scouted very well is rated 76-89, so it is no wonder he is going 5th.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #982
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, this game has a distinct UFA period that starts in April and now teams are trying to sign FA's, while the player was able to sign them in March. Maybe teams were signing non restricted FA's in March, but I didn't see any of the big names getting signed. Now, I do. I'm finally coming up to the draft. I can't believe I've spent so many hours just getting to the draft. Then again, it has been fun. The most repetitive part of the game has been only being able to add 2 playbooks to my gameplan each office period. I wish I could just do them all at once and then be able to sim ahead some. However, my gameplan/playbook should be relatively set soon as long as I don't change my philosophy (in which case the playbook resets to reflect the new philosophy.)

I really like how the scouting is done. As has been mentioned before, your scouts think everyone is great (or almost everyone) until they take a closer look. Then, usually the top number comes down and the gap narrows. Players from big schools might be able to be scouted with only 1 "scouting session." Guys from smaller schools can take 3-4 sessions to fully scout them. That being said, over the past 8-12 game weeks I've scouted 60 or 70 potential draftees to "Well Scouted" status. I'll post my draft results in a bit.

Oh yeah, I'm getting offered trades, but the trades are generally crazy one sided in favor of the AI. Some offers that stood out: Marty Booker for Donovan McNabb. Darren Howard fo Donovan. Orlando Ruff for Tra Thomas. I actually had one trade that I considered: Eric Moulds for Roderick Hood (who is rated suprisingly decently.) Oh yeah, besides Reggie Bush, my scout hates the running backs in this draft. DeAngelo Williams is second on his list and he rates him 51-68. Reggie Bush is a 68-83 according to my scout. Chris Gogong who I scouted very well is rated 76-89, so it is no wonder he is going 5th.

You didn't ship McNabb for Booker? Homer.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #983
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

About to start my draft now. At least according to my scout, Reggie Bush is the only player who will meet my owner's requirement of me that I draft a RB with a 75 max overall or greater. Looks like I will be pissing off my owner. I'll probably go WR in the 1st round. I have an interesting choice between Holmes and Jackson based on my scout who likes Jackson better for beating the press, but thinks Holmes has slightly better deep speed.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #984
condors
College Starter

I played a preseason game against the Browns. The only number that jumped out as being odd was the Browns had a total of 22 yards rushing. Other than that the stats look ok. I seem to be unable to switch applications when in the game and was unable to get a screen shot of anything. The 5 minute quaters didn't seem too bad but i was pretty much just doing what was suggested by my coaches. The Eagles won 31-10. I simmed thru a bit to get to the game and the cpu didn't sign my draft picks so i am restarting my career.

Last edited by condors : 06-21-2006 at 05:52 PM.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #985
dbd1963
High School JV

My complaint about the coach hiring is growing.. I can see the OC and DC, that isn't the problem that I meant in the above post. It is that you can hire a former HC (listed as HC, not DC or OC, in the free agent coaches list) as a coordinator, but they won't tell you which he might be good at. I guess you have to wait on a scout report, but shouldn't you know with former HCs?

A small point I guess.

A bigger point is that I brought a guy in to interview as the DC. He was listed as a DC in the free agent coaches pool. I hired him and paid him pretty well. And he went into the DL slot! I didn't know it, so I let the next DC I interviewed (who also would have been perfect) go. So I have an overqualified DL and had to hire a chump at DC with my absolutely last interview slot.

I like the idea they have going on here with the interviews, and not being able to see everyone, etc. That would be fine if I had some general idea of what people can do if the scouts don't speak about them. But it's not fine to schedule a DC interview and the guy winds up getting overpaid for the DL job. That is not a good deal.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, because I was writing their names down as I went through the list. He was a DC, but now he's a DL (and overpaid!) I know I can promote him next year, and I will, but I shoudn't be stuck this year with a peon for DC.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #986
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I thought, from the demo, that you could change a coach's psoition?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #987
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Eaglesfan27

How is the game manual that comes with the game?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #988
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The manual is very skimpy, but there is an integrated tutorial that is decent. My draft had a few bits of wierdness. The Chiefs took Vince with the 20th pick, so I thought great, the Giants won't draft a QB. I was wrong. Apparently, their owner/GM is very set on having a QB no matter what. They took Cutler with the 25th pick. Also, there were a few trades during or just before the draft, however, there is no transaction log that I can find in the game. Therefore, it is impossible for me to determine exactly who was traded for who.

So, I mentioned draft wierdness. Besides the Giants drafting a QB, I found it odd Arizona drafted Mercedes Lewis 10th, although my scout did like him. Also, K. Clemens continues to be the 2nd rated QB by many scouts. The Bills made the most perplexing move to me. They drafted Bush 8th. That isn't a big deal as they could use two great RB's in some versatile ways. However, they took L. Maroney in the 2nd round. 2 RB's in a row?!? Also, GB took Gogong first (he is rated very highly by my scout too) but then took another DE in the 2nd round. Chicago made a great pick of LT D. Ferguson in the 1st round but took another LT in the 2nd when Winston Justice was still available. Not so bad if they switch his position, but terrible if he sits on the bench. I'll follow that situation. I also saw lots of teams that I thought drafted very smartly. I wanted to disagree with my own scouting director since I want him to quit, but he recommended Chad Jackson and I had my heart set on him, so I took him. Here is the result of the 1st round and a few other notable facts:

Oh yeah, I loved the Mel Commentary. For some picks, he talked for 45 seconds in great depth. I didn't know that A.J. Hawk was the only other unanimous All-American Selection besides Bush. Other picks, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd round, he only spoke for a few seconds.

1. Texans - A.J. Hawk

2. Saints - Leinart

3. Ten - Williams

4. Jets - Vernon Davis

5. GB - Chris Gogong

6. 49ers - Bunkley - Mel panned this pick and said it was too early for him.

7. Oak - FS J. Allen - Mel also thought this was a bad pick.

8. Buf - Reggie Bush - Mel loved this pick and wondered why he wasn't taken sooner.

9. Lions - LB C. Greenway - Mel thinks he'll only be a backup.

10. Arizona - TE Mercedes Lewis

11. Rams - T. Hali - Mel thought he was a 2nd round pick.

12. Cleveland - M. Kiwanauka - Mel mentioned he wasn't even a starter in college.

13. Bal - Michael Huff

14. Eagles - Chad Jackson - Mel loved my pick.

15. Atlanta - S. Holmes - Mel said "He has major character issues and that may make this a very bad pick. If he can mature, he is a steal."

16. Miami - QB K. Clemens

17. Colts (traded up) - CB J. Joseph - Mel hated this pick.

18. Dallas - FS K. Simpson - odd pick unless they move him with Roy Williams there.

19. Chargers - M. Lawson - mel said "He might be a big bust."

20. Chiefs - Vince Young - Mel said "He is a big project... he is an outstanding athlete... he needs to work on his delivery and working from
under center." Mel spoke for over 45 seconds on Vince.

21. NE - Ngata

22. Washington - CB A. Cromartie

23. Bucs - RE M. Anderson - "This is a big reach."

24. Bengals - D'Angelo Williams

25. Giants - J. Cutler - Mel was speechless.

26. Bears - LT. D. Ferguson

27. Panthers - WR S. Moss

28. Jaguars - HB L. White

29. Den - DE D. Tapp

30. Colts - G P. Mcquistan - "He has marginal physical skills."

31. Seattle - CB K. Jennings

32. Pittsburgh - DT G. Watson - At least they didn't try to take a QB too.

Other notables.

Buffalo took Maroney 40th for 2 straight HB's.

41. Detroit took a second straight outside linebacker.

46. I took Joseph Addai.

50. I traded up with Dallas to take Ernie Sims.

54. Redskins took QB C. Whitehurst

57. The Giants took a WR in the 2nd round.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #989
Buccaneer
Head Coach

EaglesFan, that actually looks and sounds fascinating. For those of us that are off-season junkies in sports games, that's a dream come true - instant and critical feedback. I wonder how it will hold up in future drafts?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 06-21-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #990
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I thought, from the demo, that you could change a coach's psoition?

I hope so, but when I tried, it told me I had to wait for a different time to do it. I had to power down to take care of baths and dinner for my kids so I can't get back on to see if there's another chance to swap these guys. The DL and the DC would make about a perfect swap, talent wise (but the DL would be making WAY too much money then.. cause that dude got 1.8 mil over two years..)
Old 06-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #991
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
EaglesFan, that actually looks and sounds fascinating. For those of us that are off-season junkies in sports games, that's a dream come true - instant and critical feedback. I wonder how it will hold up in future drafts?

Yeah. Obviously Mel recorded real comments about the current crop of players, but I can't imagine them being so detailed for the other 39 drafts included in the game.

The worrying thing about this would be the X-Factor that we are all hoping for. If they *did* go this indepth for all the players, you can bank on their being no X-Factor at all.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #992
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There was a report about 4-7th round players disappearing. That definitely didn't occur in my game. Now, I imagine they might have if I "simmed ahead to July" like the game offered to let me do after the draft. Instead, I made sure I manually signed my picks. I had to cut 2 marginal players to make room for them all since the roster cap is 55, but I do have all of my picks and I didn't even have to cut the guys before the draft.

Someone mentioned that in the demo, certain players are missing. Certain players are missing in the draft in the real game too. I'm guessing they are players who didn't sign a contract or didn't give permission to the game. For example, I was thinking about taking a flyer on Marcus Vick late in the draft, but he isn't in the game. Instead, I drafted a fictional QB who has remarkable speed, a strong but inaccurate arm, and poor awareness.

I've now got my playbook set up (you can create and keep 10 offensive plays and 10 defensive plays and there are dozens and dozens if not hundreds of stock plays to add to your playbook, but you can only add 2 per each coaching session.) Now, that my playbook is set up and my roster is pretty much set, I'm about to finally sim ahead to training camp
Old 06-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #993
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Yeah. Obviously Mel recorded real comments about the current crop of players, but I can't imagine them being so detailed for the other 39 drafts included in the game.

The worrying thing about this would be the X-Factor that we are all hoping for. If they *did* go this indepth for all the players, you can bank on their being no X-Factor at all.

I don't know. If you read Mel's comments, they are not specific to the player just his ability, slotting and matching to team's needs. I think you will those same comments recycled as in whenever a team drafts a QB high in the 1st and it already has a young QB, Mel will be speechless. I still thinks that's pretty cool though because we have not seen anything like that in the games we play.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #994
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just finished my first three training camp drills. I think training camp is going to be one of my favorite parts of the game. It also will cut down the need to strategize during the game some. Any instructions you give during training camp can be linked to a specific player or players and can be kept for every time you call that play in any game. That is very cool.

During my run drills, I noticed Westbrook was trying to run guys over particularly on the sweep. So, I told him to try to use his agility to make guys miss and I made that an instruction for all of the time on any play. 2 plays later he juked two guys and ran a TD for 50 plus yards. Then, when I brought the second team in, I told Addai to use his power more, and he ran a guy over and had a nice gain. Only having 10 plays per practice, makes for some tough choices. How much do I work the 1st team? What about the 2nd and 3rd teams?

Also, when I was doing the pass drill, I noticed Chad Jackson was giving up inside position on a slant pattern. So, I pulled him aside and told him every time I call that play, make sure he fights to get inside position on the defender. The next 2 times I ran it, he beat the defender to the inside and had completions. I've told him to carry that instruction over to every time I call that play in a game. Hopefully, these practice and training camp instructions can make it so very little strategy is needed in game and will allow for a somewhat decent number of plays per game.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #995
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Um....

In the Madden game though aren't the incoming players from the draft already
with their respective teams? I wonder if what he meant was you can actually
draft those guys prior to the first season of play in the game.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #996
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:

You can't tell how good a coach is before you hire him in that you can't see his ratings. I fired Marty Morningweg because I just couldn't see him as my OC. He had poor QB knowledge and poor strategy. He was strong in OL and WR. I thought I would get a better guy to replace him. This guy was viewed by my Scouting director as a very good QB guru that I hired. I liked his answers in the interview. However, it turns out he is something of a dud. Sure, he is GREAT with QB's. However, his WR and OL knowledge are low and overall he is signficantly lower than Marty was

You hit on something interesting.

Why should they have hard and fast numbers and ratings? Why not just see percpection? What would cause you to all of a sudden see a coaches worth right after you hired him? Or maybe have the ratings always chaging and "honing" in on his true skill, as derived by the coach and/or his performance?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #997
jbmagic
Pro Starter

At operationsports forum, someone posted halftime stats.

Total of only 49 plays combine for both teams.

Quote:
Official Impressions thread
Halftime Stats:

Oakland 31, Cleveland 7

Oakland:

Aaron Brooks: 6 of 8, 100 yards, 2 TD's, 156.8 rating. 2 carries, 18 yards.
LaMont Jordan: 8 carries, 47 yards. 2 catches, 33 yards.
Jerry Porter: 2 catches, 41 yards
Randy Moss: 1 catch, 15 yards.
Zach Crockett: 1 catch, 11 yards.

Gallery with 4 pancakes.

Schweigert with 5 tackles.
Washington with 4 tackles.
Clark, Poole, Asomugha with 2.

Fabian Washington and Tyrone Poole both have picks returned to the house (this is concerning. I did call some blitzes and then backed off in running situations and called 8 man zones, but still. 2 in one game is an eyebrow-raiser).

Cleveland:

Dilfer: 5 of 14, 111 yards. 1 TD, 3 picks, 49.1 rating.
Droughns: 9 carries, 59 yards.
T. Smith: 3 carries, 15 yards.
Northcutt: 3 catches, 51 yards.
Jurevicius: 1 catch, 47 yards.
Edwards: 1 catch, 17 yards

Coleman with 6 pancakes, Faine with 5.

Davis and Stewart, 4 tackles.

Offense:

181 Cleveland, 159 Oakland
7 first downs Cleveland, 8 Oakland.
Cleveland with 4 turnovers.

Rushing Attempts:

Cleveland 12, Oakland 15

Passing Attempts:
Cleveland 14, Oakland 8.

Total Plays:

Cleveland 26, Oakland 23.

Again, this is at the half.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #998
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Here another one. Full game played.
Posted at operationsports forum.

Quote:
OK, I'm hoping this is the exception, rather than the rule. Dilfer started the game out well, throwing the early TD to jump out to the 7-0 lead. Droughns was running through tackles left and right, and then he threw the first pick. After that, the game just fell apart for Cleveland. Seeing how many picks there were, it made me think back to that post about how Madden in coach mode had a ton of picks. Brooks didn't throw any, but Dilfer threw a ton.

Team Stats:

Total Offensive Plays:
Oakland 50, Cleveland 53

Rushing Plays
Oakland 34, Cleveland 18

Passing Plays
Cleveland 35, Oakland 16

Yardage:
Oakland 128 passing, 147 rushing
Cleveland 157 passing, 83 rushing

Brooks finished 9 of 16 for 128 with 2 TD's and a 123.7 rating.

Dilfer finished 13 for 35 for 169 with 1 TD and seven picks.

So the total plays ended up decently (102), but the yardage dropped as Clevelend was hapless and I just ran it over and over into the teeth of the defense.

More games will tell me if this is the exception or the norm. It felt like a complete hammering of an inferior team, which I should never feel while coaching Oakland. But either way, it was still strangely enjoyable. Just odd to see Dilfer throw pick after pick and they'd just keep flinging it, due to the deficit.

Total plays only includes rushes and passes, since I haven't found anywhere that lists totals. I don't know how many punts and FG attempts there were, but it was a lot of them. I wouldn't be shocked if it were 112, 115 plays in the game.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #999
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshka
In the Madden game though aren't the incoming players from the draft already
with their respective teams? I wonder if what he meant was you can actually
draft those guys prior to the first season of play in the game.
As someone else pointed out, I was "um"ing the fact that you could trade a veteran RB on the verge of forced retirement for Reggie Bush.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #1000
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963
My complaint about the coach hiring is growing.. I can see the OC and DC, that isn't the problem that I meant in the above post. It is that you can hire a former HC (listed as HC, not DC or OC, in the free agent coaches list) as a coordinator, but they won't tell you which he might be good at. I guess you have to wait on a scout report, but shouldn't you know with former HCs?
Memo to sports sim makers: stop doing this! "Fog of war" is a cool concept and we like that we don't know everything right away, but this is getting ridiculous. There has to be a basic amount of information available.

I booted up the OOTP demo, went into my own team, and found that apparently I didn't know anything at all about some of my own players. I guess I hadn't scouted them, but come on... a real GM could go pick up a magazine and get a decent scouting report on his own guys. It's supposed to be the fog of war, not the kevlar blindfold of war.