Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #951
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
awww jb...you so nice. i shoulda known to ask you. thanks man. musta just missed it in this massive thread

Yeah, it'll be after all the moves...wouldn't make a lot of sense to code in a bunch of stuff like a special entry draft, free agent buyouts, etc., that'd only get used for one season.

Rosters will be updated as much as humanly possible - at all levels, not just the NHL. The researchers handling the update are going full-speed, getting 04-05 stats updated and players moved (the private research forum at SI's site has got hundreds of move requests in it right now, most of them with 'done' notes beside them.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #952
rexallllsc
Banned

Anyone ever get the wrong record for their team displayed?

On the screen that shows the days games, it never shows the correct records for the teams.

Also, some teams on the NHL standings are named by city (Colorado, Nashville), others by Team name (Kings, Wild).

Any ideas?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #953
henry296
College Starter

I also though the records were wrong, but they are the records in the last 10 games.

I am wondering if the team names have to do with not getting license agreements for those nicknames since the team nicknames all have TM after them.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:50 PM   #954
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
I also though the records were wrong, but they are the records in the last 10 games.

I am wondering if the team names have to do with not getting license agreements for those nicknames since the team nicknames all have TM after them.

Right about the last 10 games; the team names thing is actually some weird quirk with the way the NHL has those names trademarked. I don't understand the details, but the effect is the short version of a few teams' names have to be referred to by the city and not the nickname. Which make writing news items that make grammatical sense an enormous pain in the ass.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #955
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296

Anyway to change that?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #956
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Anyway to change that?

Not currently. Maybe we can make it display the whole season record in the next version ?
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #957
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Not currently. Maybe we can make it display the whole season record in the next version ?

You mean, kind of like someone said you should do back during the alpha-testing, because it was confusing and would generate a lot of user questions?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #958
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz

I think it would be awesome to have the option. If only one could be displayed, I'd go for overall records, personally.

Thanks for stopping by!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #959
riz
SI Games

Quote:
I think it would be awesome to have the option. If only one could be displayed, I'd go for overall records, personally.

Thanks for stopping by!

Not a problem

With all the buzz around NHL and hockey right now, we're loving it !
Old 08-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #960
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Thanks for stopping by!

I agree. I'm not a fan of the last 10 games thing.

The game itself though is great and I'm having a blast. I'm really looking forward to the NA update.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #961
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Can someone tell me what the "scouted only" feature is? I thought it meant it would only show players that your scouts have reported on (which would be very useful), but all it seems to do is filter everyone out.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #962
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Can someone tell me what the "scouted only" feature is? I thought it meant it would only show players that your scouts have reported on (which would be very useful), but all it seems to do is filter everyone out.

It only lists guys who you've specifically told your scouts to look at (i.e., used the "scout player" option from the player screen.) And yeah, it's not very useful like that.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #963
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
It only lists guys who you've specifically told your scouts to look at (i.e., used the "scout player" option from the player screen.) And yeah, it's not very useful like that.

No kidding. It would be great (especially in the draft) if it weeded out players you have no information on.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #964
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, I bought EHM2k5 a couple of hours ago, after spending 4-5 hours with the demo since last night.

The variety of possible challenges, such as NHL or ECHL, and a much better hockey "feel" (to me) than the original release, made this a relatively easy purchase overall.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #965
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
FWIW, I bought EHM2k5 a couple of hours ago, after spending 4-5 hours with the demo since last night.

The variety of possible challenges, such as NHL or ECHL, and a much better hockey "feel" (to me) than the original release, made this a relatively easy purchase overall.

Thanks. Hopefully we can keep the same direction in the future and bring the game forward in every respect
Old 08-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #966
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Thought I would give EHM a shot, so I fired up the demo and started a game as the Bruins. Set the North American leagues to be active which gives me a database of about 17,000 players. I opted to turn off the real player names, just so that I don’t have any preconceptions about who to go after, but…

The resultant player names in the universe are very limited. I’m not sure if it’s a bug with the how names get generated, or if there are not enough names in the database, but there are lots of players with the exact same name as someone else, and very large numbers of players with the same last name. I understand that there could be some occasional duplication, but here are some examples:

19 players have a last name of Adamek.

There are 5 Tom Adameks and 5 Ray Adameks currently playing hockey.

40 players have a last name of Adams. Of these, there are…

2 Tom Adams, 4 Matt Adams, 5 Bernard Adams, 6 Trevor Adams, and a whopping 15 hockey players have the name Ray Adams.

There are 10 Ray Whites, 4 Bernard Bennetts, 5 Ray Beckers, 6 Bernard McLeans…and it goes on and on. Every page on the player search screens (when listing players alphabetically) has three or more groups of players with the exact same name (there is one entire page for the Ray Adams!). One would expect an occasional player with the same name, but this takes things a bit far. Just for kicks, I compared a generated database of names from one game with the database of names from a game using real names, and in the real database there is a much wider range of last names and only rare players with the same name as someone else.

Needless to say it makes keeping track of things a bit challenging.

Regarding this, is there a way to go in and edit the name .dat files? I tried opening them up in Excel, but they don’t open up cleanly. I’d like to go in and add some names to the files to see if that helps things out. I imagine they are sorted by geographic region somehow as well?

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-07-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:20 AM   #967
JeffR
High School JV

*muted grumbling about spending hundreds of hours working to get the players rated realistically, only to have people turn the damn names off*

Looks like there were a couple of reports of something like that a week or so ago on the SI forum, but no responses yet - the guys are a little tied up with working on the North American release/update. But Riz will, I'm sure, notice this and check it out.

I think you could use the unofficial pregame editor to add names, but I doubt that will do anything; this looks like a bug. There's no shortage of variety in the Canadian and American names in the db.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #968
Graeme Kelly
SI Games

I'll take a look at the player names issue. It uses the same code that gets used to randomise the player names for the unlicensed leagues/regions, and I've never seen anybody complain about those . It could be an issue with the cut-down version of the database, that's causing some unwanted bias somewhere. When faking the unlicensed dudes, it's done in the database extractor and the full list of people are there. But when you start a new game, not everyone is included.

Also, there's no way to change the names in the dat files without messing things up really (they're binary so that's why they won't open in notepad).
Graeme Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:21 AM   #969
Graeme Kelly
SI Games

Quote:
You mean, kind of like someone said you should do back during the alpha-testing, because it was confusing and would generate a lot of user questions?

Should have said it louder - it only took me 2 minutes.
Graeme Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #970
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Kelly
It uses the same code that gets used to randomise the player names for the unlicensed leagues/regions, and I've never seen anybody complain about those .

It's trickier to spot there because the sample size is much smaller, but I did notice some similarities of the generated names in the real player database and the generated names in the fictional database. I think you'd have to be looking for it to spot it in the beginning of a real names game, but I bet it would become more obvious as the league matures.

If the names database is rather large, I would venture a guess that there is a problem with the way the code is selecting names. Some observations:

In particular, Ray and Bernard are getting chosen for first names much too frequently. Others like Tom and Phillipe and Trevor also show up too often. The range of used first names is quite narrow.

The range of used last names is narrow as well, which results in the overabundance of similar last names.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #971
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Can you play with a team in the Central Hockey League in EHM? Also, when is the American version due out and will it have many changes?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 AM   #972
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Can you play with a team in the Central Hockey League in EHM? Also, when is the American version due out and will it have many changes?

You can sorta play with a team in the Central Hockey League - but in the game it won't be listed as the Central Hockey League. There are rosters out there that can "unfake" that for you though.

I think the only changes to the North American version are actual league changes (like items from the new CBA, expansion teams in the minors) and updated rosters.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 AM   #973
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
I think the only changes to the North American version are actual league changes (like items from the new CBA, expansion teams in the minors) and updated rosters.

"Only"? What, the Quebec databases not enough work for you? Want that orphaned French one, too?

No date on the North American release yet, other than "Fall".
Old 08-08-2005, 05:44 AM   #974
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj

*joins the rush*

Only...only ??!!!

The new CBA and its effects are...well...interesting to say the least. Both in real life (so far) and in code.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 AM   #975
riz
SI Games

Oh, seeing as this thread has evolved quite a bit outside its original scope about the release date and licenses, would it be possible to get the thread re-named ?

I've always coveted a "Alright boyz...." thread for EHM over here, could this be it then ?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #976
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Oh, seeing as this thread has evolved quite a bit outside its original scope about the release date and licenses, would it be possible to get the thread re-named ?

I've always coveted a "Alright boyz...." thread for EHM over here, could this be it then ?

Riz

just edit your first post and your able to change the title if you want.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #977
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Riz

just edit your first post and your able to change the title if you want.

D'oh....me dum-dum

*done*
Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #978
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
D'oh....me dum-dum

*done*

Well done!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #979
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Well done!

Considering the amount of views this thread has got so far, I had to do a good job
Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #980
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
"Only"? What, the Quebec databases not enough work for you? Want that orphaned French one, too?

I'll take a pass on that.

And of course by only I meant not to expect any big new features - not to say that updating the league info and rosters is a small task by any means.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #981
rexallllsc
Banned

How do you view standings by Division (I.e. Pacific)
Old 08-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #982
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
How do you view standings by Division (I.e. Pacific)

Can't in the NHL. That part of the game became broke in 2.02 and won't be fixed until the NA patch/release. The 8-10 dependable testers must have missed that one.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #983
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Can't in the NHL. That part of the game became broke in 2.02 and won't be fixed until the NA patch/release. The 8-10 dependable testers must have missed that one.

Yeah, that stinks.

BTW, my Thrasher's career:

First Year: Playoffs, beat in the first round in 7
Second Year: Stanley Cup Runners up (lost in 7)
Third Season: Stanley Cup Win (Won in 6)
Old 08-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #984
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

Actually, I saw it and figured it had been done on purpose. Most leagues in the game only display the standings format needed to calculate the playoff race.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #985
Galaril
Pro Starter

Sorry, if Riz or someone from SI has already given an idea but, anyone gota guess-estimate of when the North American patch will be released so we can get going on are Nhl leagues? Please no when it's ready answers?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #986
Ryan S
Quarterback

I would guess that we won't see the NA patch until after preseason starts (Spetember 16th)

We certainly won't see it until all the UFA and RFA loose ends are tied up.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 AM   #987
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Sorry, if Riz or someone from SI has already given an idea but, anyone gota guess-estimate of when the North American patch will be released so we can get going on are Nhl leagues? Please no when it's ready answers?

When it's not unready.

I'd be taking my life in my hands if I hinted about the release date, but I will say that, given the extremely tight deadlines, getting it ready has been relatively problem-free compared to previous releases and major patches. Of course, by saying that, I've just jinxed the whole thing and an hour from now we'll discover some disastrous bug that'll take days or weeks to eradicate. See what happens when you ask 'how soon'?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #988
riz
SI Games

We are currently staying over at the office for the night to test the network game again. As the tradition goes, we are competing over the Eastside Cup. Live coverage here

It's a blast I can tell ya
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #989
riz
SI Games

North American release is closing in:

GameStop are now taking pre-orders for the NA version

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...ct%5Fid=646381
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #990
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
North American release is closing in:

GameStop are now taking pre-orders for the NA version

Will non USA guys be able to buy the downloadable version of it or will be any kind of country filter to avoid it?
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #991
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Will non USA guys be able to buy the downloadable version of it or will be any kind of country filter to avoid it?

The online versions will use the same territorial pricing as before I would guess (the different pricing for $US, ŁUK and euro). Anyhow, the people who already own the european release version will be catered with a free update to bring their game up-to-date with all the new rules and regulations that have been coded for the North American version.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #992
Galaril
Pro Starter

ETA: 10/3/05
I was hoping this would be released in the next week or two. Five weeks would that be the case for the patch for the European version. I mean will patch come out sooner for the European version as opposed to the NA version?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #993
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

According to whom?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #994
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
According to whom?

Old 09-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #995
riz
SI Games

Quote:
I was hoping this would be released in the next week or two. Five weeks would that be the case for the patch for the European version. I mean will patch come out sooner for the European version as opposed to the NA version?

The update (it's not really a patch, but a free seasonal update) for euro versions will come out at the same time as the NA versions hits the streets. And I would like to take this opportunity to say that we have not yet announced the official released date for the NA version so all the dates on sites other than SIGames.com are guesswork.

Last edited by riz : 09-01-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #996
riz
SI Games

Release date for the NA version now confirmed: 27th of September 2005 !

See link for a bit of more info:
http://community.sigames.com/groupee...5/m/4792021751
Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #997
JeffR
High School JV

Screenshots of the North American release version, showing rule changes, updated rosters, etc.: http://www.sigames.com/softography.p...23#screenshots
Old 09-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #998
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Screenshots of the North American release version, showing rule changes, updated rosters, etc.: http://www.sigames.com/softography.p...23#screenshots

so the latest rosters will be how it is by end of August?

will there be another updated roster patch for opening day?

also on the new screenshots. Pittsburg Roster dont show Sidney Crosby on there.

Last edited by jbmagic : 09-06-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #999
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

I thought the Leaves cut Owen Nolan?
Also, what happens if you go over the cap?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #1000
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
so the latest rosters will be how it is by end of August?

will there be another updated roster patch for opening day?

also on the new screenshots. Pittsburg Roster dont show Sidney Crosby on there.

Due to NHLPA rules games can not include a player if he has not played in the NHL, so Crosby will probably be on his junior team, with his rights assigned to Pittsburgh. You will get a chance to sign him to a contract before training camp.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote