Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #951
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anthony Federov, you've just been kicked off of American Idol. Where are you going?

I'm going to Disney World...to sing for a living!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #952
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Ugh, Fedorov sucked. The only disappointment for me is that he stuck around this long.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #953
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I think it is sad that Carrie's probably going to win this thing. For me Vonzell out sings her time after time. Anthony put her away when they sang the same song. She is lucky she went first. I'm most impressed with Vonzell week after week. Bo would be my second choice, but really if Carrie isn't going to try and stretch herself, she doesn't deserve to win.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #954
FBPro
College Starter

IMO, the best three are the one's left........(wasn't the case last year). Should be an interesting finish.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #955
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I think it is sad that Carrie's probably going to win this thing. For me Vonzell out sings her time after time. Anthony put her away when they sang the same song. She is lucky she went first. I'm most impressed with Vonzell week after week. Bo would be my second choice, but really if Carrie isn't going to try and stretch herself, she doesn't deserve to win.

Vonzell is better than Bo and Carrie? Ouch.

I bet you were a big fan of "Titanic".
Old 05-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #956
Cuckoo
College Starter

Vonzell is very good, and I've consistently liked her more and more each week. I think she can make a career in the music business if she makes the right decisions.

That said, the finale should be Bo and Carrie in my opinion. And I honestly don't know which one should win right now, but I'm leaning towards Bo.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #957
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Vonzell is better than Bo and Carrie? Ouch.

I bet you were a big fan of "Titanic".

Not exactly my point. I'm a fan of Bo. He was, in my opinion, the first of this year's contestants to step up. Carrie has done little more than play it safe week after week. Bo slipped into that for a while, but has lately done as well or better than he was early in the competition.

My point is that Vonzell has improved vastly week after week since she became a finalist. I think she has easilly out performed Carrie over the last several weeks. Carrie should have gone home after last night, because she had the worst performance since Scott two weeks ago. Yes I think Scott of last week was better than Carrie's second song this week.

I'd not have a problem with Bo winning, in fact I'm rooting for him. My thought is that of the women left, Vonzell is performing better than Carrie.

Actually I was one of the original haters of Titanic. I hated Titanic before it was cool to hate Titianic.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #958
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
IMO, the best three are the one's left........(wasn't the case last year). Should be an interesting finish.

I agree.

Go Carrie!!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #959
Easy Mac

I actually think Vonzell has regressed the past few weeks. For a while she was doing pretty well, but I think her weaknesses are showing a bit more of late.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:37 PM   #960
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I actually think Vonzell has regressed the past few weeks. For a while she was doing pretty well, but I think her weaknesses are showing a bit more of late.

I agree somewhat. However, even with her regressions she is still on par with Carrie. Technically, Carrie may not make as many mistakes as Vonzell (except this week !). However, Vonzell has the ability to rise to the occasion and rarely plays it safe. She chooses hard songs to sing each week that can expose her weakness. The songs may be big gambles but when she pulls them of she shines way above the rest. Both women are very attractive, but I think when all is said and done, Vonzell is much more entertaining to listen to and watch, weaknesses and all. FWIW, Carrie has been showing weaknesses in showmanship from day one and as of late its crossing over into her singing. R&B just is not her genre and it showed badly.

It really boils down to what style and genre of music you may prefer. I have seen some comments about Vonzell yelling or screaming when she is doing no different that Pattie Labelle, Mariah, Whitney, Chaka, etc... the list goes on. Not that screaming is good, but it is part of the contemporary R&B style. Carrie is more traditional in her approach which is just fine for country music. For what its worth, I think Bo yells and screams half of his songs. However, I am not much of a rock fan and the only CD I can say I own remotely close to this genre would be Evanescense, so my knowlege for Rock vocals is severly limited. Even though I think he yells a lot, I believe he has a excellent singing voice.

I guess I am a little biased as I have been a fan of Vonzell for a while. I would have loved to see her battle with Latoya and Jennifer last year. That would have been tough.

My rankings of those left are:

1) Vonzell
2) Bo
3) Carrie

Sorry, Carrie just has to many limitations to overcome. She is more suited for the Nashville Star show.

With that said, it will probably be Carrie and Bo next week with Carrie winning it all. The girl has never even been in the bottom (I don't believe) and she must have a real big fan base.

Just 2 cents from a musician.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #961
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

I agree. Yet somehow the judges keep piling on the praise. It should be Carrie and Bo in the finals but that seemed to be the case from week one so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Vonzel deserves to be top 3, but is not a top two candidate. She gets too pitchy and then just pulls off one moment in the song and gets too much credit for that. Plus I still have no real feel for her personality. She's not sure if she wants to be a diva or the girl next door. She needs to stick with the girl next door part as she loses a lot of points in my book when she goes for the diva.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #962
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Damn, I just noticed I only have 60 posts and I have been around since the boards inception. I am your true definition of a lurker
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 AM   #963
Ksyrup

Carrie's the better vocalist, Vonzell's the better performer. Carrie would do better in a studio, while Vonzell needs the energy and mania (not to mention the band and backup singers) of a live performance to pull off her songs. I think Carrie would do better releasing an album, but Vonzell will be the top performer on the tour.

I guess Bo's screwed no matter what at this point - in terms of having to release an album through Simon's label - so he might as well win. I just hope they put him in a Black Crowes-type setting with him being the featured part of a band, as opposed to trying to make him the main focus, with the band and music secondary to him. That's not what he wants (I don't think), that's not what he's good at, and that's not the best utilization of his talent.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #964
Ksyrup

I didn't hear about this:

The show, broadcast live from Los Angeles, has been racked by controversy as it winds down to a May 24-25 finale. The latest snafu came after Tuesday's show continued previous "Idol" voting problems.

The dial-in phone number for Underwood was displayed on the closed-captioning for all the contestants, possibly aiding her survival. The correct numbers, however, were shown with on-screen graphics and announced by Seacrest.

A statement issued Wednesday by Fox read, "the producers and network apologize to our hearing-impaired viewers for any confusion, and the situation was immediately corrected for our tape-delayed West Coast broadcast."
Old 05-12-2005, 08:06 AM   #965
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

There's something cynically funny about a voting problem for hearing impaired viewers on a show conceivably based around how people sound.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #966
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

If the voting segment that used closed captioning was that large, Mikalah would still be on..

Personally, I'm rooting for Bo.. out of all the contestants, I'm remembering his songs & performances the most from this season.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #967
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
If the voting segment that used closed captioning was that large, Mikalah would still be on..

LOL
Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #968
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
There's something cynically funny about a voting problem for hearing impaired viewers on a show conceivably based around how people sound.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #969
Daimyo
College Starter

Has to be Bo and Carrie in the final... I think you could have pegged that from week one of the final 12. Bo should win. I think he's the only idol contestant ever to outsing a good number of the original versions of the songs. However, given that the best contestant IMO has never won an idol I predict that Carrie will win this one.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #970
Ksyrup

I think Carrie will win. Bo is the only Idol contestant I will have bothered to keep up with after the show ends, though, just to see whether he is able to rise above being an AI contestant to do something truly unique - parlay that success into a rock band setting.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #971
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
However, given that the best contestant IMO has never won an idol I predict that Carrie will win this one.

Kelly wasn't the best in season one? I'd probably also put Fantasia as best of a bad lot last season too.

Bound to be Carrie v Bo in the final, probably Carrie winning. I'm hoping for Bo or Vonzell winning, but Carrie seems to have the following. Unlike previous seasons though, there hasn't been a week this season where I've vowed to never watch again cos the voting public are stupid, all the contestants are too meh to get worked up about for me. None of the highs of previous seasons, but none of the lows either.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #972
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Kelly wasn't the best in season one? I'd probably also put Fantasia as best of a bad lot last season too.
I thought Tamyra was much better in season #1 (and probably the best idol contestant they've ever had). Kelly was a lot better than anyone else that season though. Christina got points for being cute, but everyone else was pretty bad all-around.

I didn't watch season 2 after the auditions as my wife had class that night and it was pre-TiVo for us so I could be wrong there... just from what I've heard since I can't imagine Reuben was the best.

For season 3 I thought LaToya was the best overall. I'd agree that Fantasia had the most memorable performances (and maybe the top two individual performances in idol history), but I also thought she had a couple terrible, unlistenable ones too... plus I just didn't care much for the sound of her voice and I think that carried over into her singing a lot. I guess I'd put her #2 that year ahead of Jasmine, George, and Jennifer. I disliked Diana almost as much as John Stevens...

Quote:
Bound to be Carrie v Bo in the final, probably Carrie winning. I'm hoping for Bo or Vonzell winning, but Carrie seems to have the following. Unlike previous seasons though, there hasn't been a week this season where I've vowed to never watch again cos the voting public are stupid, all the contestants are too meh to get worked up about for me. None of the highs of previous seasons, but none of the lows either.
I thought Nadia went home too soon, but you could tell it was coming the way it seemed like she intentionally tried to pick songs that no one heard, but I agree it wasn't near the level of voting Tamrya off in 5th place or Jennifer off before John Stevens or anything that stupid.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-12-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #973
FBPro
College Starter

Fantasia made me ill and one reason was due to the fact that when she would sing ANY song she felt compelled to add 10-20 seconds of "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....yeahhhhhhhhhh" to each one whether appropriate or not. My stomach is still turning and I refuse to watch the show now when she sings.

Just my .02
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #974
primelord
Pro Rookie

My wife loves this show and I occasionally watch it with her on the Tivo. I have noticed something odd a few times when I have watched it that I confirmed on last weeks show. When they are recapping the performances they always show the very end of the performance for the final singer. The problem is it isn't the same performance. I had noticed a couple of times that the notes seemed a bit different, but just assumed I was hearing things.

However after this last week Anthony's recap looked quite a bit different to me so I backed the Tivo up and confirmed that the final note they showed in the recap was not the same as the final note in his actual performance. They sounded pretty close, but his hand jestures were different and he was holding the mic in the opposite hand. However in the recap the crowd appears to be there. Where are they getting this footage from?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #975
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
My wife loves this show and I occasionally watch it with her on the Tivo. I have noticed something odd a few times when I have watched it that I confirmed on last weeks show. When they are recapping the performances they always show the very end of the performance for the final singer. The problem is it isn't the same performance. I had noticed a couple of times that the notes seemed a bit different, but just assumed I was hearing things.

However after this last week Anthony's recap looked quite a bit different to me so I backed the Tivo up and confirmed that the final note they showed in the recap was not the same as the final note in his actual performance. They sounded pretty close, but his hand jestures were different and he was holding the mic in the opposite hand. However in the recap the crowd appears to be there. Where are they getting this footage from?

They tape the recap from the dress rehearsal. I realized that last season too when things didn't quite mesh.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #976
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I missed this weeks perfomnaces, but I did catch the recap show. Islands in the stream was abysmal. Did anybody else notice that everytime they sang about making love to each other (which comes up alot in the song) they would stop looking at each other. I was hoping that when they sang about making love Bo would have stared at Carrie and stuck his tongue out and pointed at her and started grinding. That would be funny.

I think they probably have the correct final three and I think Vonzell is vulnerable.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #977
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
They tape the recap from the dress rehearsal. I realized that last season too when things didn't quite mesh.

yep. it was pretty obvious in past seasons also, when the contestants would be wearing different clothes in the recaps from time to time.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #978
Joe
Pro Starter

From etonline:

It's Judges-Pick Night on 'American Idol'

It's just BO BICE, CARRIE UNDERWOOD and VONZELL SOLOMON when "American Idol" airs tonight at 8 p.m. on FOX, and each of the Final 3 will be performing three songs: a judge's choice, a song that music mogul/producer CLIVE DAVIS selects for them and one that they pick.

"What we try to do is find a song that we know will fit really well in their register or tonally sound great, but challenge them a bit, so they start working on a song that they say is hard, but will be rewarding once they nail it," judge PAULA ABDUL explains. "And that they feel, 'Man, I had to work really hard to get this song, but I had no idea I had that in me.' Hopefully, we as judges can find a song that will do that for them."

The judges' selections: Carrie will be singing SHANIA TWAIN's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman"; Bo will rock out on the ROLLING STONES' "Satisfaction"; and Vonzell goes disco with DONNA SUMMER's "On the Radio."

Clive selected ROY ORBISON's "Cryin'" for Carrie; DIONNE WARWICK's "I'll Never Love This Way Again" for Vonzell and ELTON JOHN's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" for Bo.

///

I think this is the first time a Shania Twain song will be sung on the show, she's previously not let her songs be sung. But it should be interesting seeing Bo sing Elton John.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #979
rkmsuf
Head Coach

how many farging songs must these people sing?

I can't even imagine why this show is still so popular.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #980
TLK
Pro Starter

I'll probably miss tonights show for the basketball game... look forward to the recaps
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #981
Ksyrup

The judges' choices are perfect - even down to sticking Vonzell with a disco song. It was either that, or some 80's pop song like Flashdance for her.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #982
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

So what song would you guys pick for each singer?

If it was my choice, it would be hard to not pick songs designed to embarass the contestants.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #983
Ksyrup

Carrie - In the Year 2525
Bo - Penny Lane
Vonzell - Plush
Old 05-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #984
MJ4H
Coordinator

I like all the choices. Crying by Roy Orbison is one of my all-time favorite songs. However, I almost wrecked my car to put me out of my misery the last time Donna Summer's "On the Radio" came on.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #985
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
how many farging songs must these people sing?

I can't even imagine why this show is still so popular.

need to fill up the hour. 3 songs each is better than 1 song each and 45 minutes of Ryan Seacrest.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #986
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
need to fill up the hour. 3 songs each is better than 1 song each and 45 minutes of Ryan Seacrest.

I can't believe people will sit through 9 songs from them over the hour.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #987
MJ4H
Coordinator

I can't believe people will sit through a lot of things, including most of the movies and music people talk about on here, either. I do realize that very few people share my exact tastes, though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #988
Ksyrup

I enjoy the show. I hate the idea of the show and everything it stands for in this society, but...screw it. It's not like I'm going to shell out money for one of their albums - hell, I'll never even buy a Ford - but it's somewhat entertaining a couple of hours a week.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #989
Ksyrup

Vonzell - first 30 seconds: horrid, absolutely horrid.

Make that 1 minute.

Ugh!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #990
Ksyrup

That guy's effin' deaf! She hit no notes!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #991
Easy Mac

We've learned that for her to be effective, she needs to only do big notes, because she has no idea what to do with a normal note, or how to move from one to another.

Randy - "You're one of the best singers left in this competition."

No shit Randy, there's 3 fucking people.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #992
Ksyrup

Or sing a song that's got a lot of music and backup singers involved...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #993
Easy Mac

I think Bo sounds a little off tonight. I didn't really like this song choice for Bo.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #994
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I enjoy the show. I hate the idea of the show and everything it stands for in this society, but...screw it. It's not like I'm going to shell out money for one of their albums - hell, I'll never even buy a Ford - but it's somewhat entertaining a couple of hours a week.

Totally the way I feel. Plus, wife makes me watch it.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #995
Easy Mac

Man, I really thought Bo sounded pretty poor with the song, I guess that why I'm not a judge.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #996
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I thought Bo sounded pretty good, actually.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #997
Ksyrup

I didn't think Bo was THAT great. However, Simon's comment has me worried for him. If his first album is goign to be nothing but sappy Elton John-type songs rather than rockers...yuck!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #998
Easy Mac

Carrie sounds alright. I thought she started the song better than she's finishing... much better. She wants to go to the "twang" too often. Sometimes its just not right for the song sweetie
Old 05-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #999
Ksyrup

OK, Bo just earned my respect. Tackling Ray Gillen without a band - what a bad-ass.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #1000
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
OK, Bo just earned my respect. Tackling Ray Gillen without a band - what a bad-ass.

Agreed. Awesome rendition.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote