Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #951
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
classy there by Randy+Simon apologizing to McBoobies. they were way off-base and way out-of-line. singing a song by someone, even their "signature" song doesn't mean that you think you're better than them.
Though I never let what the judges say sway me one way or the other I thought they were really off last night, especially on how they all 3 ripped Kat.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #952
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No... it's gonna be boring. No one left has any personality really. Yeah, they can sing, but I don't give a rats ass about any of 'em!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #953
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

She deserved to go. I'm glad Paris is sticking around at least another week. This show won't be boring as long as Katharine is still on
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #954
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Just finished watching it, and I think she is the first contestant in a very long time not to sing as she exited the show.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #955
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
She deserved to go. I'm glad Paris is sticking around at least another week. This show won't be boring as long as Katharine is still on

As long as she continues to wear what she did last night . If she goes back to what she wore earlier in the Round of 12, then it'll just be sad.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #956
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Just finished watching it, and I think she is the first contestant in a very long time not to sing as she exited the show.

She'd already murdered the song last night, if they'd let her loose on it again tonight it would like letting her piss on it's corpse.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #957
Easy Mac

Quote:
Dola -

I think if she had butchered Simon's favorite song one more time, he would have killed her.

And I loved how Simon acknowledged the whole Seacrest/Paula spat.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #958
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm wondering if she was even capable of singing tonight. She had that look like someone who's just been through a horrible experience.

They've never had someone on Idol who was as self-critical as she was. She knew she was bad the last couple of weeks, and you could see her deflate in the middle of each song.

Apparently, the entire region around Charlotte is Pickler-crazy, and I think the pressure just got to her. She does have some talent, and she has a good personality. She could be a star on the country circuit if she learns to handle the attention, and she learns to handle herself on stage when she misses a note. At least she isn't so full of herself that she can't hear it when she misses.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #959
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I'm wondering if she was even capable of singing tonight. She had that look like someone who's just been through a horrible experience.

They've never had someone on Idol who was as self-critical as she was. She knew she was bad the last couple of weeks, and you could see her deflate in the middle of each song.

Apparently, the entire region around Charlotte is Pickler-crazy, and I think the pressure just got to her. She does have some talent, and she has a good personality. She could be a star on the country circuit if she learns to handle the attention, and she learns to handle herself on stage when she misses a note. At least she isn't so full of herself that she can't hear it when she misses.

Good point on the pressure thing. That made me realize that it probably wasn't "an act" as some speculated. She probably is that provincial and all the attention and pressure made her wilt because she'd never experienced anything like it before.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #960
Easy Mac

Is it sad that Jim posts more in AI threads than FOF threads . Any thoughts on an American Idol sim... if I could catch the McPhever at 3 am I would be happy.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #961
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Is it sad that Jim posts more in AI threads than FOF threads . Any thoughts on an American Idol sim... if I could catch the McPhever at 3 am I would be happy.

Yeah, its because people don't demand anything from him on these threads .
Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #962
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
We'd need graphics, hi-rez one's at that for this one however.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #963
Rizon
Pro Starter

One. Step. Closer. To. Pr0ns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #964
Crim
College Benchwarmer

For what it's worth, I think Seasons 3 and 4 were horrible. Bo Bice only seemed good because he had no competition... and yet, Carrie Underwood beat him... and she wouldn't be top 6 this season. Fantasia was a terrific talent, but not really my style, and besides, she was surrounded by very poor talent for the most part.

For my money this is easily the best seaon yet in terms of depth of competition. I think with a little polish Katharine would outshine Clarkson, and I'd probably go see a Chris Daughtery concert right now, based on the music he seems to like to do.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #965
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

John Stevens, although he never spoke much, was that way, too. When he would continue to make it through each round, you could tell he was almost embarrassed to still be hanging around. That's probably what made me hate Chicken Little so much...he was way overmatched in this competition, yet he seemed to act like he thought he belonged. Mormon Tabernacle Munchin singing twit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #966
Joe
Pro Starter

I don't think any season has had anything that spectacular. For the most part they are just hyped up by the show, have a decent selling first album, and then fall off the map. Kelly Clarkson being an exception.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #967
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I don't think any season has had anything that spectacular. For the most part they are just hyped up by the show, have a decent selling first album, and then fall off the map. Kelly Clarkson being an exception.

Clarkson is an exception because she wised up, fired the manager the show gave her and got a good one. Since then, her career has really taken off.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #968
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
John Stevens, although he never spoke much, was that way, too. When he would continue to make it through each round, you could tell he was almost embarrassed to still be hanging around. That's probably what made me hate Chicken Little so much...he was way overmatched in this competition, yet he seemed to act like he thought he belonged. Mormon Tabernacle Munchin singing twit.

I was thinking the same thing. I think John was the most critical of himself, although, his talent (or lack thereof) justified his self doubt.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #969
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson being an exception.

I think Underwood will do good in the long haul given the popularity of the country genre.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:29 AM   #970
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
I think Underwood will do good in the long haul given the popularity of the country genre.

I guess it depends on what you consider "success." Apparently that Josh Gracin guy has had a string of country #1s, but I haven't heard a peep out of him since he got voted off of AI. I would think the overall winner having a decent career solely as a genre artist would be disappointing. Kinda like how we measure overall #1 picks in the draft - good if you're a 3rd rounder, disappointing at the top of the draft.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #971
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you consider "success." Apparently that Josh Gracin guy has had a string of country #1s, but I haven't heard a peep out of him since he got voted off of AI. I would think the overall winner having a decent career solely as a genre artist would be disappointing. Kinda like how we measure overall #1 picks in the draft - good if you're a 3rd rounder, disappointing at the top of the draft.

Well considering the track record of other #1s on AI, being a successful genre artist may be a very good move. Though Gracin had a successful first album, I think Underwood has already 'beat' him by having an award winning first song. Though it is too early to tell.

I do have to admit that Gracin isn't bad at all as long as he doesn't have to display any range. Underwood does have far more range than Gracin, but in the country world, the women are expected to be more versitile than the men.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #972
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've actually heard Underwood's songs on non-country stations. I think she will manage to crossover much more than Gracin did. I suspect she will do quite well with future records.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #973
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
I've actually heard Underwood's songs on non-country stations. I think she will manage to crossover much more than Gracin did. I suspect she will do quite well with future records.

Agreed. My wife bought the CD, so I have to listen to it far, far more than I would prefer. Several of the songs are pure country, but she does have a bit of that pop sound in some of them as well. I know the title track (really one of the worst on the CD in a prepackaged, bubblegum-type way) is played on many pop and top hits stations.

Her CD has apparently far outsold Reuben, Clay or Fantasia and appears to be near Clarkson's first album. I think the difference will be if she does as Clarkson did (someone mentioned earlier). Getting rid of the AI label and handlers and getting on her own in the market will be the best thing for her now that her name is established. If handled by the right people, I think she can find that cross-over niche that LeAnn Rimes found for a while.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 04-27-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #974
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Agreed. My wife bought the CD, so I have to listen to it far, far more than I would prefer. Several of the songs are pure country, but she does have a bit of that pop sound in some of them as well. I know the title track (really one of the worst on the CD in a prepackaged, bubblegum-type way) is played on many pop and top hits stations.

Her CD has apparently far outsold Reuben, Clay or Fantasia and appears to be near Clarkson's first album. I think the difference will be if she does as Clarkson did (someone mentioned earlier). Getting rid of the AI label and handlers and getting on her own in the market will be the best thing for her now that her name is established. If handled by the right people, I think she can find that cross-over niche that LeAnn Rimes found for a while.

I am surprised to hear that she has outsold Clay Aitken. He seemed to do very well with his first album.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #975
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I am surprised to hear that she has outsold Clay Aitken. He seemed to do very well with his first album.
I'm fairly sure that Cowell made a statement last year something to the effect of that she would outsell all previous AI winners before all is said and done.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #976
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
I'm fairly sure that Cowell made a statement last year something to the effect of that she would outsell all previous AI winners before all is said and done.

Though since then Kelly Clarkson has decided she wants to go into more interesting directions (more rock-pop stuff). I think it actually may end up close between Underwood and Clarkson, though both will outsell, by FAR any of the the other AI winners so far (including whoever comes out of it this season).
Old 04-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #977
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs

Yes, I think I read that she just recently passed him, and apparently it's still in the top 20 on the sales charts.

She's still nowhere close to Clarkson's latest, I don't think. But I agree with ISiddiqui completely; those two appear to have the best chance of longlasting careers of the Idols so far. Clarkson has already established herself as more than just an Idol contestant, I think. It remains to be seen whether Underwood can.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 04-27-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #978
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't get a chance to post here earlier, but I was really surprised by a few things.

-The reaction to Katherine's performance. I thought it was on the "good" side of the spectrum, though she clearly wasn't up to the task in a couple of spots. Strangely most annoying thing was her going out of her way to make sure that her leg popped out of her dress while she moved.

-The reaction to Elliot's performance. I just don't get the Elliot thing. He looks funny, for weeks sang with less confidence than I've ever seen on the show, and now gets props like "vocal masterclass". My wife is a musician and vocalist, and she doesn't get it either. He doesn't seem to have a strong enough voice to be "the best vocalist".

-The reaction to Taylor. I thought Taylor was "off" this week. He looked uncomfortable,and at one point I found myself asking if he had just had a tourrettes moment on stage. That said...I didn't find it NEAR as bad as Randy and Simon made it.

Pickler was painful, so I'm glad that she won't be returning.

Next week will be tough, as I don't think any of these remaining 5 should be "safe".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #979
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Yes, I think I read that she just recently passed him, and apparently it's still in the top 20 on the sales charts.

She's still nowhere close to Clarkson's latest, I don't think. But I agree with ISiddiqui completely; those two appear to have the best chance of longlasting careers of the Idols so far. Clarkson has already established herself as more than just an Idol contestant, I think. It remains to be seen whether Underwood can.

These numbers might be a little old, but here are sales numbers for the albums, listed for each person in the order they have been released.

Carrie Underwood ~ 2.7 million
Clay Aiken ~ 2.7 million, 1.2 million
Ruben Studdard ~ 1.8 million, 450 thousand
Fantasia ~ 1.7 million
Kelly Clarkson ~ 2.4 million, 5.1 million
Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #980
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Fantasia sold around 1.7 million?!? I'd buy a William Hung record before hers (but really wouldn't buy anyone on the list except that I think my wife bought an Aiken CD).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #981
Ksyrup

Quote:
These numbers might be a little old, but here are sales numbers for the albums, listed for each person in the order they have been released.

Carrie Underwood ~ 2.7 million
Clay Aiken ~ 2.7 million, 1.2 million
Ruben Studdard ~ 1.8 million, 450 thousand
Fantasia ~ 1.7 million
Kelly Clarkson ~ 2.4 million, 5.1 million

Those numbers prove two things - people will buy anything as long as it is pushed on them enough, and... America is racist!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-27-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #982
Joe
Pro Starter

whats most amazing to me is that Aiken sold 1.2 million on a christmas album
Old 04-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #983
Joe
Pro Starter

here's a list of some of the also-rans

Diana DeGarmo ~ 200,000
Bo Bice ~ 590,000
John Stevens ~ 18,000
Josh Gracin ~ 645,000
Kimberly Locke ~ 209,000
Corey Clarke ~ 2,500
Old 04-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #984
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Corey Clarke ~ 2,500

Old 04-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #985
Ksyrup

CHILDREN OF BODOM – "Are You Dead Yet?": 5,000
Old 05-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #986
Joe
Pro Starter

did I hear wrong, or did Taylor drop the f-bomb when talking to seacrest?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #987
Ksyrup

I didn't hear that. But there were a couple of mic drops, once when Paris was singing and right as she started a word "sh-". At first, I thought she swore, but I assume it was the mic problem.

For a taped show, they have had way too many mic glitches this year.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #988
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
did I hear wrong, or did Taylor drop the f-bomb when talking to seacrest?

I'll play it back, which song, #1 or 2?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #989
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'll play it back, which song, #1 or 2?

#2, when ryan asked him something about the beatles song, it sounded like he said "great, great, great, fucking great."
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #990
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
For a taped show, they have had way too many mic glitches this year.

It's live at this point in the season.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #991
Ksyrup

So what's the consensus? I thought Kat was amazing (on all levels, particularly the one on her knees) on song 2, but terrible on song 1. She butchered Against All Odds from the first note. Totally wrong song for her.

Chris was very good on Renegade, and stretching on the second song.

I don't know what Taylor was thinking by picking a Beatles song, even though he was decent. He could be in trouble this week. Song 1 was more of the same he's been feeding us for weeks. The guy is showing himself to be a bar singer who can't escape the bar.

Paris was very good on song 1, and I think it must be the style of music, because I thought song 2 was terrible. Not necessarily her, just the song. that's just an awful, awful style of music I can't get into or relate to.

Elliott was Elliott - good vocals, nothing spectacular, could be gone at any moment and I wouldn't notice.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #992
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i gotta think Paris + Taylor are the bottom two...then Elliott and Chris/Kat at the top. It's going to come down to Chris vs. Kat unless one of them slips up and Elliott can sneak in
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #993
Joe
Pro Starter

its a tossup for me if paris or elliott goes.. they were both meh. i think katharine was shitty too, but she'll stay for obvious reasons.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #994
Ksyrup

Not sure if this is true or not, but I read that every person who sang second during the week of top 5 was voted the next night in every season of Al. That would mean Paris.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #995
Ksyrup

Quote:
It's live at this point in the season.

When did this start? I know most of the peformance nights have been taped, with the vote-off live.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #996
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kat was great on the 2nd song... and yummm on her knees. Chris' voice was going in the 2nd song, and if he sings anything other than alternative music, let me know. I like Elliot's voice and Paris has the talent, she's just gotta pick the right song. Taylor... he wouldn't be missed. He really CAN'T sing, he's just interesting.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #997
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
When did this start? I know most of the peformance nights have been taped, with the vote-off live.

I'm pretty sure they go live at the beginning of the top 12, with the recap they show at the end taped from rehearsals.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #998
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I totally disagree about Taylor. I thought the first song was very entertaining, and the Beatles song was terrific. He'll be in the top 3 without question. It's between Paris and Elliott this week, and I think Elliott is gone.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #999
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
#2, when ryan asked him something about the beatles song, it sounded like he said "great, great, great, fucking great."

I played it back, I'm pretty sure he said feels great.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #1000
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
I played it back, I'm pretty sure he said feels great.

damn