Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #951
Atocep
Coordinator

Dunn to the Nationals for 2 years $20 million.

I'm really disappointed Omar wasn't given the money to go after him because he made so much sense for the Mets. A corner OFer for this season and a replacement for Delgado next season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #952
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Dunn to the Nationals for 2 years $20 million.

I'm really disappointed Omar wasn't given the money to go after him because he made so much sense for the Mets. A corner OFer for this season and a replacement for Delgado next season.

I'm not going to say I have an inclination that this is an amazing signing or not, but I'm just happy to see the team spend some money on a "big name" free agent.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #953
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bowden loves his OFs. His 40 man has ten outfielders on it currently.

I think they overpaid a bit for Dunn, as I think he'd settle closer to Burrell's numbers, but it's not too bad and he'll hit 40 hrs and OBP at .380 or so.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #954
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though I think a team like Washington needs to overpay because no one really wants to play there.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #955
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #956
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Adam Kennedy was released by the Cards...yesterday, I believe. I'm disappointed in that, especially since they let Miles go to the Cubs.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #957
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

nice bucc!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #958
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Though I think a team like Washington needs to overpay because no one really wants to play there.

Generally I'd agree, but in this market it doesn't seem like anybody else is after Dunn. If Bowden can sign Griffey he can have the Red's starting outfield from a few years ago.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #959
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Report is that the Angels have signed Abreu to a one year, $5 M deal with incentives to possibly raise it another mill or so.

Nice deal for a player of that caliber, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #960
RainMaker
General Manager

Will Tejada lose his immigration status now that he's plead guilty to a crime? I know if it's anyone else they would, just not sure if baseball players count.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #961
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Will Tejada lose his immigration status now that he's plead guilty to a crime? I know if it's anyone else they would, just not sure if baseball players count.

He's pleading guilty as part of a plea bargin. Being able to stay in the US is probably part of the deal.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #962
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
He's pleading guilty as part of a plea bargin. Being able to stay in the US is probably part of the deal.

ESPN's legal analyst was saying I believe that the immigration part of this is completely separate from what happened this week, so I don't know if a plea can affect his immigration status
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #963
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Report is that the Angels have signed Abreu to a one year, $5 M deal with incentives to possibly raise it another mill or so.

Nice deal for a player of that caliber, IMO.

I hope you aren't expecting him to do things like dive for balls or go into the wall after fly balls. If you keep those expectations in mind, you should like him as a player.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #964
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Generally I'd agree, but in this market it doesn't seem like anybody else is after Dunn. If Bowden can sign Griffey he can have the Red's starting outfield from a few years ago.

Fallout From Abreu And Dunn Deals: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

That's not true- Dunn had other suitors. Not a lot, but it only takes 2 to drive the price up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #965
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I hope you aren't expecting him to do things like dive for balls or go into the wall after fly balls. If you keep those expectations in mind, you should like him as a player.

We have enough guys who play D in the outfield. Chances are, Scioscia ain't going to put him out there too much anyway.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #966
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Heard the Selig is considering removing Bonds HR record in favor of Aaron. If that is true, and he goes the extra step of removing all those aberrational seasonal HR counts, then I would never say another word about the Steroids Era.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #967
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Heard the Selig is considering removing Bonds HR record in favor of Aaron. If that is true, and he goes the extra step of removing all those aberrational seasonal HR counts, then I would never say another word about the Steroids Era.

Yay! (for Selig I mean)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #968
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That is the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #969
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Where do you draw the line on taking numbers out of the record books?

I have a hard time believing this will ever happen. Sorry.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 AM   #970
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

If his intentions were pure, I'd have respect for it. But Selig knew about steroids for a decade and didn't do squat.

And how do you just pick out Bonds? Doesn't this mean A-Rods MVPs should be taken away? Clemens Cy Youngs? Seems like it wouldn't be fair to just punish one person.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #971
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If his intentions were pure, I'd have respect for it. But Selig knew about steroids for a decade and didn't do squat.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #972
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola

Pitchers and catchers report to spring training TODAY!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #973
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Dola

Finally, some good news

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-13-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #974
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think I'd literally picket Selig's house if he did that.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #975
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
That is the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard.

Of course you do.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #976
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Where do you draw the line on taking numbers out of the record books?

I have a hard time believing this will ever happen. Sorry.

Here's the line I drew

And yes, I too have a hard believing it will actually happen. I will always believe that there is a great and noticeable disparity between these records (including all-time HR), including those came before (and since), but the union, the apologetists and the "everyone is equally bad" crowd will put too much pressure on.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #977
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course you do.

It's cause he's right.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #978
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A few days ago I looked at AB per HR numbers for Bonds and Aaron. I was expecting to find a much different curve, assuming the argument of "people don't improve in their thirties" was correct. Instead, I found that Aaron and Bonds did improve on similar paths, although Bonds' improvement is more profound. I still think Bonds' use of steroids inflated his numbers, but perhaps not as much as I had previously thought.

Aaron
at bats per home run in different age ranges

21-29 17.37 abs per hr
30-39 14.41
35-39 11.82

Bonds

21-29 17.43
30-39 10.32
35-39 8.22

edit: I guess what I found most interesting is that Bonds was on pace with Aaron, but had significantly fewer at bats during his twenties.

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-13-2009 at 09:21 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #979
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Both Bonds and A-Rod are once-in-a-generation players, which makes their steroid use even more sad. Not in a "personal responsibility" way, but more in the fact that they could have been considered among the greatest ever and now will not, fairly or unfairly.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #980
lungs
Pro Rookie

Change the record all you want, but nobody can dispute the fact that Barry Bonds hit the most home runs in major league history.

Someday when we are all dead, our predecessors will look at hitting stats from the 90's much like we look at pitching stats from the deadball era today.

Personally, I find much more enjoyment in baseball following my team on a daily basis and rooting for them instead of worrying about crap that happened several years ago or stuff that is going on today that has absolutely no meaningful effect (HGH).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #981
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FWIW.....I don't like the records as they are, but revising them retroactively is a can of worms that just doesn't need to be opened up. Better off just leaving them to speak for themselves.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #982
bhlloy
Coordinator

So HR totals go, what about Clemens and Pettite's wins? What about all the games they started that they might not of if they weren't on steroids? How about Bonds other records that he might not have reached if he wasn't roided up? What happens when A-Rod passes them? How about Pujols if he ever gets up there - do we think he's clean? Can we be sure?

It's a nice idea, but it's completely unfeasible. Especially if Bonds is not guilty on the perjury charge - he's never technically been convicted of anything illegal. MLB would absolutley eat it on the legal front then.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #983
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So HR totals go, what about Clemens and Pettite's wins? What about all the games they started that they might not of if they weren't on steroids? How about Bonds other records that he might not have reached if he wasn't roided up? What happens when A-Rod passes them? How about Pujols if he ever gets up there - do we think he's clean? Can we be sure?

Furthermore, what if the 103 players on that positive test list are released? Do you strike all of them from the records?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #984
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW.....I don't like the records as they are, but revising them retroactively is a can of worms that just doesn't need to be opened up. Better off just leaving them to speak for themselves.

For once, we are in agreement

SI

Old 02-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #985
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola

now this is news we can all agree on. Baseball is starting again - all is right in the world.

PS - anyone else psyched about the World Baseball Classic? The competitiveness (ask South Korea how much the matchup vs. Japan means to them) is a big factor IMO - it isn't a glorified exhibition.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #986
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
PS - anyone else psyched about the World Baseball Classic? The competitiveness (ask South Korea how much the matchup vs. Japan means to them) is a big factor IMO - it isn't a glorified exhibition.

Damn straight. Last time South Korea and Japan played in the WBC I had a friendly wager with my buddy. I took South Korea and he took Japan. Once my buddy saw Byun Hyun Kim was on South Korea's team he said he wanted to double the bet if Kim came into the game.

South Korea was leading, Kim came into the came and proceeded to get rocked out of the ballpark and turned a prospective victory into a double loss for me.

Fucker.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #987
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yeah I love World Cup soccer, watching Olympic basketball, etc. It would be great to see the WBC become a big-time competition. It was fun last time around (despite the USA's early exit) and should only get better with time.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-13-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #988
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bowden loves his OFs. His 40 man has ten outfielders on it currently.

I think they overpaid a bit for Dunn, as I think he'd settle closer to Burrell's numbers, but it's not too bad and he'll hit 40 hrs and OBP at .380 or so.

The Nationals had, I believe, 117 HRs last year. We needed a bat -- and as a young franchise that had very disappointing attendance numbers last year, Dunn is a big name. Just the fact that they ponied up the money is a good thing.

Also, Dunn and Willingham can both, theoretically play first base. I don't expect all of those guys to be on the final roster, of course. I expect them to attempt to trade either one or two of the outfielders or Nick Johnson (or some combination thereof).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

+1. The Nationals tried like hell to sign Teixera, and it didn't matter how much money he was offered. The team is just in a Catch-22 here until the farm system starts to produce some stars or they can lure in some free agents with larger-than-market contracts.

Quote:

I wouldn't put it past him -- another OF and a Red, what more could you ask for?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #989
molson
General Manager

What's the actual, practical effect of taking things out of the record book? Has anyone actually looked at an MLB "record book"? Does such a thing exist? Presumably, baseballreference.com would still tell us that Barry Bonds existed, and it would have a record of his stats.

Rewriting history in sports is completely ridiculous and unnecessary.

The NCAA has done this on the team level, they've stripped UMass, Ohio State, Michigan of final four appearances. But I remember all of those teams making it. Maybe in college terms it makes a little more sense, since presumably you can't brag to recruits about those appearances.

Last edited by molson : 02-13-2009 at 01:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #990
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Yeah I love World Cup soccer, watching Olympic basketball, etc. It would be great to see the WBC become a big-time competition. It was fun last time around (despite the USA's early exit) and should only get better with time.

I also think that it'll only get better with age. They'll fix any mistakes and refine the product.. with so much talent coming from overseas, how could it not hit it out of the park?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #991
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Now, if only the American ballplayers would start to care.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #992
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Braves are in discussions with Glavine and Griffey. If we can't sign good players let's at least get guys who were once good!
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #993
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The NCAA has done this on the team level, they've stripped UMass, Ohio State, Michigan of final four appearances. But I remember all of those teams making it.

ALL BETTER!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #994
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9228008/'Oil-Can'-Boyd-looking-for-comeback-at-age-49?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

'Oil Can' Boyd looking for comeback at age 49
by FOXSports.com

Updated: February 16, 2009, 3:41 PM EST

It's been 18 years since Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd last pitched in the Major Leagues, but he figures he's still got some gas left in that tank.

The 49-year-old wants an MLB team to give him a look this spring, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

Says Boyd, "I have nothing to lose, and all a major league team has to lose is 15 minutes. Give me 15 minutes and I'll show I can still pitch. That's all I want."

And he says he's still got some pretty good stuff, claiming his fastball is in the low-90s and his changeup and curveball are as good as ever.

Boyd finished with a 78-77 career record and a 4.04 lifetime ERA over a 10-year stretch with the Red Sox, Expos and Rangers.

The report says he got serious about the comeback two weeks ago when he pitched at a Red Sox fantasy camp.

He says Satchel Paige, who pitched into his 60s, is another big reason he wants to come back.

"Satchel being my idol and knowing he didn't come into the game until he was in his early 40s, that's always been in the back of my mind."

So why now, after all these years?

"After surgery in '87, it took me 10 years to feel good," he told the Globe.

"I wasn't on the field, started gaining weight. All of a sudden, my arm has healed. The arm strength is there and it's there consistently. The more I throw, the better it feels."

After catching for him at camp, ex-Red Sox catcher Mike Stanley vouches for him, saying "He looks no different to me now than when I caught him in Texas. He still has the same passion. I don't know if he was getting to 90 because we didn't have a gun, but he still had the same stuff. The same tight slider, curve, fastball."
Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #995
Philliesfan980
Banned

Interesting story. It sounds like Oil Can ran out of cash and needs something to do. I hope someone gives him a shot, it would be interesting to see a guy pitch into his 50's. If he doesn't do it, I believe Jamie Moyer has a real good shot of doing it.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #996
molson
General Manager

I think Boyd should just pass on the "Oil Can" persona to a new pitcher. Like in Japanese wrestling.

May I suggest: "Oil Can" Erik Bedard.

Last edited by molson : 02-17-2009 at 07:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #997
Atocep
Coordinator

What the hell is going on with the Nationals?

Esmailyn Gonzalez lied about age, name to Nationals - MLB - Spring Training - 2009 - SI.com

Quote:
A top Washington Nationals prospect and recipient of the largest international signing bonus in team history is not who he appeared to be. Esmailyn Gonzalez, who is listed as 19 years old on the team's roster, is actually 23-year-old Carlos Alvarez Daniel Lugo, four sources have told SI.com.

The Nationals, owned by the Lerner family, gave the shortstop from the Dominican Republic a $1.4 million signing bonus on July 2, 2006, and trumpeted his arrival as a sign of their commitment to acquiring top-tier talent. (Players from Latin America are not subject to the draft and can sign with the team of their choice.) "This signing is symbolic of the Lerner family's and incoming club president Stan Kasten's pledge to become an industry leader in scouting and player development,'' Washington general manager Jim Bowden said at the time of the deal.

Gonzalez's signing, however, immediately drew suspicion from baseball insiders. There was considerable skepticism about the team's description of him as a five-tool player. "He doesn't run all that well, and has an average arm," an executive with another team said this summer.

The Texas Rangers were the next highest bidder for Gonzalez, offering only $700,000. Agent Rob Plummer negotiated with all teams on behalf of Gonzalez -- except the Nationals. Those negotiations were handled by Basilio Vizcaino, Gonzalez's buscon (a person who trains amateur youth baseball players in exchange for a percentage of future signing bonuses). Vizcaino is a childhood friend of Bowden's special assistant, Jose Rijo, and a protégé of Jose Baez, the Nationals director of operations in the Dominican Republic. The size of Gonzalez's bonus and the close relationship between Vizcaino, Baez and Rijo drew the attention of the FBI and Major League Baseball's department of investigations. (A federal investigation into allegations of skimming of bonus money given to Latin players has been going on for the past seven months.) It's unclear if anyone named Esmailyn Gonzalez exists or how the player's paperwork was falsified. Also unknown is whether Gonzalez, who is still in the Dominican Republic, will be able to obtain a visa to join the club for spring training.

The revelation of Gonzalez's true age reduces his perceived value as a player. In 2008, his second season in the Gulf Coast (rookie) League, Gonzalez was named league MVP and won the league batting title, hitting .343. He was second in the league in on-base percentage (.431) and runs (42), and third in RBIs (33) and hits (62). One scout who has seen Gonzalez play, says, "Those are great numbers, but you should be hitting that well if you're that much older than your competition."

Nationals representatives, Rijo and Vizcaino did not return calls from SI.com requesting comment. Kasten and Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney declined to comment. Bowden and Rijo have previously denied any financial improprieties in the Gonzalez case.

Under Bowden, Nationals scouts have already been busted for stealing bonus money from prospects. Now this "prospect" has been outed as really being 23. We all know that birth certificates mean nothing for Dominican player. However, the odd thing here is apparently it was so obvious to everyone else that he wasn't really 17 (at the time) that the next highest offer he got was half what the Nats offered. On top of this the deal wasn't even done with his agent but was instead done with his trainer in the Dominican; a guy who happens to be childhood friends with Jose Rijo.

This one thing really isn't that big of deal in the grand scheme of things, but combined with the other scouting issues that have come from this organization it leads me to believe that the Bowden/Rijo front office is either incompetent (not a shock to anyone), corrupt, or a combination of the 2.

I really feel bad for Nationals fans. You deserve better than this.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #998
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
What the hell is going on with the Nationals?

This one thing really isn't that big of deal in the grand scheme of things, but combined with the other scouting issues that have come from this organization it leads me to believe that the Bowden/Rijo front office is either incompetent (not a shock to anyone), corrupt, or a combination of the 2.

I really feel bad for Nationals fans. You deserve better than this.

The Nationals front office is not well run and this is just further proof of that. I feel for the Nationals fans, as it will take changes at the top before the organization really improves.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #999
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When your upside is the 2000 Reds things don't look good.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #1000
Butter
Coordinator

Jose Rijo is in the Nats front office? Shit, I love the guy to death for the Reds' 90 WS win, but there's no fucking way that was ever a good idea.