Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #951
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Northern Iowa has the bodies of a church softball team. GO NI!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #952
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I thought I was done with the board for the rest of the day, but I'll add two things:

1. UNI is showing they want it. That's good. I still don't think they'll end up holding on down the stretch, but it'd be awesome if they did.

2. Jon has been consistent from the start about his feelings on mid-majors and their presence in major college sporting events. I don't think this ought to shock anyone and he's hardly alone in these sentiments, even if others aren't as vociferous about their lack of interest of anything other than major programs or those with tangent interest due to regional affiliations. It's not a position that's hard to understand, really, even if lots of us like seeing the scrappy underdog fight for a seat at the table.

I think if it weren't a one and done tournament where teams from perceptually lower talent leagues were pitted against the big dogs, the tournament would never have had the charm it's had since its inception. I mean, if you go back and look at the list of Final Four teams over history, it's a who's-who list of schools you'd never expect at various times to have been dominant at much of anything on a national level, much less basketball.

If it were as predictable as college football has been, especially in recent years, I think it would become a milquetoast event with some regional interest until the Final Four, hence why I think it's setup how it is and now how some may prefer it (with say, the mid-majors kicked out all together into their own league...)

On a personal note, I just tend to think that parity is increasing in college basketball well enough that at some point, some coach is going to figure out how to engineer a team to get hot and go on a six game win streak when it absolutely matters. George Mason came closer than anyone could've anticipated and they weren't even built for it. I'd love to see it happen with some other unheralded team, but not just for the Cinderella story; but simply because I really think it will happen and it's just going to be a matter of timing.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-20-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #953
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
St. Mary's against Kansas in a tight game = interesting. St. Mary's against Murray State and he's going to go yell at kids to get off his lawn because it's marginally more interesting to him.

Not a perfect example (because I could at least find some distinction because of Murray's relative geography) but if you sub Northern Iowa for them then yeah, watching grass grow is right up there for me.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #954
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Impressive that UNI will hold their league into halftime, it looked like Kansas was going to bring it back. No matter what, this game is making the Jayhawks look might vulnerable in a way that the people hyping them made it seem they wouldn't be.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #955
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
No matter what, this game is making the Jayhawks look might vulnerable in a way that the people hyping them made it seem they wouldn't be.

Anybody who saw them play Tennessee knows they're vulnerable, I think it's more a question of whether anyone could show up and disguise their own flaws for long enough to take ultimate advantage of those vulnerabilities.

FTR, my bracket is already shot anyway & having no particular love for KU anyway then I have no problem with UNI pulling the upset (thereby jinxing them no doubt)
Old 03-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #956
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Impressive that UNI will hold their league into halftime, it looked like Kansas was going to bring it back. No matter what, this game is making the Jayhawks look might vulnerable in a way that the people hyping them made it seem they wouldn't be.

No kidding they appear to be a very, very beatable and them as the top seed is laughable. LOL.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #957
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
St. Mary's against Murray State and he's going to go yell at kids to get off his lawn because it's marginally more interesting to him.

So I was watching Gran Torino last week. Was that you in 40 years, Jon?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #958
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
No kidding they appear to be a very, very beatable and them as the top seed is laughable. LOL.

Seriously? This is sarcasm, right?

Sure, they're beatable but everyone in the tourney is beatable as I have yet to see the perfect team.

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #959
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, at least for the time being there's still the possibility of a GT-UT S16 matchup. The meltdown potential for me with an unconscionable network switching decision during that game might be the highest I can recall in my entire time at FOFC.

On a happier note, I'm reminded of something that came up in discussion with my wife & son earlier in the week, about the short preparation time as far as next opponents teams have between games in the tournament. The Vols staff did a great job having a plan to handle Ohio (who I can't imagine anyone had even looked at until Sunday night at the earliest) and the players did an uncommonly good job of execution of that plan.

I know it happens for up to 32 teams in round two but I think it's an aspect of the game that doesn't get enough attention, how much work assistants & film coordinators and the like have to do throughout the season but especially in the time crunch of the tournament.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #960
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So I was watching Gran Torino last week. Was that you in 40 years, Jon? SI

Probably more like 20-30 years isn't it? I mean, I'll be 43 next month, and I don't think any reasonable projection has me living to 83

I haven't seen the movie but from what I know of it I imagine 40 months is a lot closer than either estimate.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #961
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Out of curiosity I checked the espn.com brackets.

I've already lost 2 elite 8's and 3 sweet 16's and I'm in the 68.7 percentile.
How bad must the other brackets have been?
Old 03-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #962
Buccaneer
Head Coach

GT-UT S16 matchup is about as compelling as watching Olympic figure skating. And you still watch (and gripe about) TV?!? I'm older than you and prefer the internet and cbssports.com, apparently. Not to mention seeing scrappy teams playing above themselves than watching tired old Redneck U.

There, someone had to say it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #963
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And you still watch (and gripe about) TV?!? I'm older than you and prefer the internet and cbssports.com, apparently.

In complete seriousness, how anyone can sit & watch long form video on a computer completely mystifies me. Completely.

On a scale of desirability that rates somewhere around camping with, so completely foreign to my own interests/wants/preferences that it simply fails to compute whatsoever.

And I can at least conceive how/why women watch crap like Real Housewives, so it isn't as though I'm totally unable to at least grasp foreign concepts.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #964
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm stunned by how bad the Kansas guards have looked in this game.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #965
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No Karl, I simply want games I can find some reason to give a damn about.

And the St. Mary's International Recruiting Trips playing the Mid- Continent WhereTheFuckAreWe's doesn't even come close.

edit to add: They could be the greatest collection of talent in the history of basketball but that doesn't compel me in the slightest. It might as well be the NBA or EuroLeague ball, neither of which interest me beyond the realm of trivia. Just because they happen to be college aged kids really doesn't change that for me at all.
That's more American Idol than sport. Nothing wrong with it as we all have our reasons for watching. But I'd rather watch the best teams playing than the best storylines. Otherwise I'd dump my Bulls tickets for local high school games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #966
whomario
Pro Starter

Kansas isnt even trying to get good shots, one contested jumpshot with max 1 or 2 passes after the other, wth are they thinking ?

Eglseder with a very inspired game going right at Aldrich. Also great to see that his teammates trust him to do that.
Like said before, i´m a big fan of team making use of their inside people.

And with that he/they have forced Kansas to sit Aldrich when Eglseder went out instead of letting him go against the undersized player now on the court, in fear of eglseder being fresher than aldrich when both return.

Last edited by whomario : 03-20-2010 at 06:03 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #967
hoopsguy
General Manager

Collins is playing like he has a family member with the Northern Iowa money line.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #968
whomario
Pro Starter

that was a man-layup by the NI guy (Dunham ?) against defense waiting and Aldridge flying in

There´s no reason why Aldridge shouldn´t get the ball on nearly every possession ...
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #969
whomario
Pro Starter

Alley Oop !! Wooot

and then a bullshit call to give adam koch his 3rd ...

Last edited by whomario : 03-20-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #970
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
There´s no reason why Aldridge shouldn´t get the ball on nearly every possession ...

Well, other than Collins being in "challenged my manhood" mode and dominating the dribble every trip. He is killing his team on the offensive end.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #971
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am loving this Northern Iowa team as well.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #972
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Have to say this officiating has been very even-handed. I would have expected the calls to be going towards KU at this point (i.e. Nova's round one) but they have been pretty balanced.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #973
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
In complete seriousness, how anyone can sit & watch long form video on a computer completely mystifies me. Completely.

On a scale of desirability that rates somewhere around camping with, so completely foreign to my own interests/wants/preferences that it simply fails to compute whatsoever.

And I can at least conceive how/why women watch crap like Real Housewives, so it isn't as though I'm totally unable to at least grasp foreign concepts.
My monitor is larger and higher def than my TV. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to watch video on the computer.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #974
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you're pulling for UNI, I'd be encouraged.

This is the same disjointed, disinterested, and WTF-are-we-doing-here look that KU had against Tennessee earlier in the year.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #975
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

UNI is really, really impressive right now. Those boys are playing with a sense of purpose. Would love to see them pull it out. But they better start putting more points on the board.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #976
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Out of curiosity I checked the espn.com brackets.

I've already lost 2 elite 8's and 3 sweet 16's and I'm in the 68.7 percentile.
How bad must the other brackets have been?

There was an ESPN announcer yesterday saying that over 1% of entries have 2 or more #16 teams beating the #1 teams in the first round..

Even though it would ruin my bracket in my money league, I'm rooting for Northern Iowa to pull this off.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #977
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm stunned by how bad the Kansas guards have looked in this game.

Sadly (or maybe luckily in this case) I'm not able to watch the game. But Sherron Collins has a limited history of wanting to put the team on his back and forcing it too much rather than just taking what the defense gives. Eight out of ten times it's in Kansas' favor, but there's those few times where it hurts the team and today looks like one of those days. Usually someone else can pick up the slack, but credit UNI because they are forcing Kansas to play their game. It's actually really impressive how they've been able to impose their will on the Jayhawks today.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #978
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
My monitor is larger and higher def than my TV. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to watch video on the computer.

At the risk of an even further tangent, how in the hell is that even possible? What did you do, hook the computer to a wall mounted flat screen? Or have you got a portable TV like people take camping?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #979
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Kansas isnt even trying to get good shots, one contested jumpshot with max 1 or 2 passes after the other, wth are they thinking ?

Eglseder with a very inspired game going right at Aldrich. Also great to see that his teammates trust him to do that.
Like said before, i´m a big fan of team making use of their inside people.

And with that he/they have forced Kansas to sit Aldrich when Eglseder went out instead of letting him go against the undersized player now on the court, in fear of eglseder being fresher than aldrich when both return.

There's just no movement from our offense. On top of that, we're just looking extremely tight. Reminds me of watching a hitter in a slump who is just trying way too hard and it only makes things worse

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #980
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It's not for me, either. But then again, neither is Desperate Housewives. On a sad note, I hope that you guys keep posting, I just got called into work where I won't be able to get much by way of updates.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #981
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

My monitor is a 20in LCD and my TV is a 19in standard definition. I just don't really watch enough television to justify a new TV purchase at this point.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #982
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would also kill for us to keep up some defensive pressure. Not only does it hurt their offense (tho they have really good ball movement but, christ, we're long- best to take advantage of it) but it loosens up their defense on the other end that we've had issues breaking with their good guard defense.

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #983
whomario
Pro Starter

so, he committed thsat foul with his shin ?

Northern Iowa needs to be more patient again, and Faroukhmaneh needs t hit shots

Last edited by whomario : 03-20-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #984
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Shots aren't falling for UNI like they were earlier. I look for Kansas to make their run here.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #985
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

jeez, don't get stupid on offense now...
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #986
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Have to say this officiating has been very even-handed. I would have expected the calls to be going towards KU at this point (i.e. Nova's round one) but they have been pretty balanced.

I would like to withdraw this comment. I spoke too soon.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #987
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
My monitor is a 20in LCD and my TV is a 19in standard definition. I just don't really watch enough television to justify a new TV purchase at this point.

That's cool btw, no harm/insult/whatever intended. And hopefully none taken.

It's just that I can't honestly say I know anyone with that sort of configuration beyond a college dorm room (until now).
Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #988
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
There's just no movement from our offense. On top of that, we're just looking extremely tight. Reminds me of watching a hitter in a slump who is just trying way too hard and it only makes things worse

SI

Announcer - "they are starting to move the ball from side to side". Yes, with Collins on the bench.

Between that and the types of plays that Kansas is running out of timeouts, it is clear that the coaching staff is seeing the same things that we are. Kansas, at this point, is better with Collins sitting. I'm sure they won't finish this way, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to put him back in.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #989
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

for terpkristin - 56-49 with 5:24 left
Old 03-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #990
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Collins: 3-12 from the floor
Rest of KU: 17-33 from the floor
Rest of KU minus Aldrich: 11-25 from the floor (i.e. it ain't just the big fella)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #991
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That's cool btw, no harm/insult/whatever intended. And hopefully none taken.

It's just that I can't honestly say I know anyone with that sort of configuration beyond a college dorm room (until now).
None taken at all. You weren't too far off with the dorm room comment anyhow.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #992
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

for terpkristin - 56-53 at 4:25
Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #993
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A huge 3 there.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #994
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

HUGE THREE there for UNI!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #995
RainMaker
General Manager

Enormous 3
Old 03-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #996
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

FUCK YEAH! HUGE THREE AND now its UNI ball. Holy shit this is going to happen!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #997
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dammit. I was just thinking to myself- they're not going to keep missing and giving cheap possessions away so you'd better keep out on their 3 point guys and there's the show I was worried about :sigh:

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #998
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

And Aldrich picks up his 2nd foul on an over the back! (Of course not! )

Last edited by panerd : 03-20-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #999
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I just noticed but Baylor is only leading by one. Sweetness
Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #1000
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
And Aldrich picks up his 2nd foul on an over the back! (Of course not! )
Did they call a foul? It looked like one and the announcers seemed confused.