Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #951
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rolando McClain gets a 10 game suspension for violating the substance abuse policy.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #952
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The bigger question is can Jim Irsay afford his pills anymore.

Irsay already found a cheap way to get his pills.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #953
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Irsay already found a cheap way to get his pills.

Wait, is this for realz?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #954
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

So the Jags have a daily column on their website each day of teh week, and have ever since it began. I write in and get answered. This is my first time since moving to Mobile though, and I was responding to the claim yesterday by the Jags reporter that Marino was the best QB of all time, and I said it was Otto Graham. So yay!

O-Zone: Wonderful warmth

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #955
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ya know, I'm kind of a stickler, an authoritarian type and all. But honestly, Arians comes off like an asshole with some serious issues in this story to me.

Arizona Cardinals cut Olympian in 2015 for parking in wrong spot - Arizona Cardinals Blog- ESPN
Old 07-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #956
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Theres a behind the scenes show about the Cards last year and it's quite good. I dunno what it's called
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #957
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Arians comes off like an asshole with some serious issues in this story to me.

Arians is an asshole with serious issues, so your read is correct.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #958
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Ya know, I'm kind of a stickler, an authoritarian type and all. But honestly, Arians comes off like an asshole with some serious issues in this story to me.

Arizona Cardinals cut Olympian in 2015 for parking in wrong spot - Arizona Cardinals Blog- ESPN

well being a Cards fan its hard for me to say anything negative about Arians. His players seem to love him. This does seem like a bizarre rule. But I find it hard he would cut someone who had real talent and could help the team for breaking a rule. I don't know this player, so can't speak to his talent.

I will say that all coaches have rules, and you are expected to follow them. So bizarre or not, you better follow them if you want to stay on the team.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #959
bhlloy
Coordinator

I get a sort of Jonathan Martin vibe a little from this story - some of Arians previous comments about Okoye and the Oxford make me think he was a bit of a different dude who probably wasn't the most cut out for an NFL locker room or a tough love coach, and the car parking thing is Arians best shot at explaining why they let him go at such an odd time of the season

Thomkal, no offense but I don't think Larry Fitzgerald is getting cut for parking in a spot reserved for fans. I think there's a ton more to the story here.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #960
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jags player Denard Robinson fell asleep (and his passenger) at the wheel and his car went into a retention pond at 4:30 in the morning. Could have been tragic, but both are safe now:

Denard Robinson asleep at the wheel when police find him in a pond - Big Cat Country
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #961
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I get a sort of Jonathan Martin vibe a little from this story - some of Arians previous comments about Okoye and the Oxford make me think he was a bit of a different dude who probably wasn't the most cut out for an NFL locker room or a tough love coach, and the car parking thing is Arians best shot at explaining why they let him go at such an odd time of the season

Thomkal, no offense but I don't think Larry Fitzgerald is getting cut for parking in a spot reserved for fans. I think there's a ton more to the story here.

Yeah, my other takeaway from it was how utterly interchangeable a lot of low-profile parts really are. I know there's a considerable amount of disposability with most pro athletes but, if you're cutting a guy for this, then we're talking about Walmart/Burger King level kind of value-over-replacement.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #962
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

That was my point when I said someone with real talent wouldn't have been cut. Of course Fitzgerald wouldn't have been cut. Maybe fined. From the comments, I assume Okoye wanted to go to Oxford more than play in the NFL. Arians tone seemed to be a joking one to me, though perhaps a bit degrading. Hard to say when we don't know the full story-did Okoye file a complaint, start a "twitter war" over it? Then I would take it more seriously.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #963
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Jags player Denard Robinson fell asleep (and his passenger) at the wheel and his car went into a retention pond at 4:30 in the morning. Could have been tragic, but both are safe now:

Denard Robinson asleep at the wheel when police find him in a pond - Big Cat Country

Better yet, the local coverage indicates that police responded to the call at .. yep, you guessed it ... 4:20
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #964
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Better yet, the local coverage indicates that police responded to the call at .. yep, you guessed it ... 4:20

Hah, I didn't catch the reference when I first read the report. How Ironic
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #965
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Powerful article here, from Ricardo Lockette (who I hadn't realized retired):

“Am I About to Die?” | The Players' Tribune
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #966
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

En route to Cutsville maybe?

Browns say “just an apology” insufficient for Crowell after “unacceptable” post | ProFootballTalk
Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #967
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Does anyone think Josh Gordon might still be reinstated for 2016?

Deciding my last keeper spot in dynasty & it's between him & JJ Nelson. I suppose Jimmy Graham, Kyle Rudolph, Justin Hardy & David Cobb are on the table too. 12 keepers, so I do have Jarvis Landry, Kelvin Benjamin, DeSean Jackson & Nelson Agholor too and can afford to make a risky play.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #968
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

If you really want to punish him, force him to sign a five year deal to stay in Cleveland.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 AM   #969
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
If you really want to punish him, force him to sign a five year deal to stay in Cleveland.

Eh, that seems like it'd be punishing the Browns though.

The guy has always been an asshat, not all that likely he's going to change his spots.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #970
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

speaking of the Browns, more bad news, this time on the injury front:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...le-has-surgery
Old 07-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #971
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, Brady is not going to appeal DeflateGate to the Supreme Court.

Part of me is disappointed that Brady won't be taking Goodell to the Supreme Court, I think the whole thing was a travesty where the NFL played Calvinball with their own rule set because the Pats had been too good for too long, but I can understand just wanting it over and done with.

I hope the pats go 16-0, win the superbowl, and have that slimy conniving Fuck Goodell have to smile and hand over the Lombardi trophy.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #972
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Pats weren't targeted because they were so good. They were targeted because they were cheating.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #973
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still hope the Pats go 2-14 for the next twenty years.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #974
wustin
College Prospect

Nothing better than an angry Tom Brady. I hope everyone gets their popcorn ready for this postseason.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #975
molson
General Manager

It will be interesting to see if Handsome Jimmy shows enough to stay on track as Brady's successor.

And I hope the Patriots and Brady don't play "angry" after that. I think the whole anger narrative is really just fans living vicariously through the team. Emotion isn't usually going to be the reason for success at the high levels of sports, at least in the long run.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #976
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Pats weren't targeted because they were so good. They were targeted because they were cheating.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #977
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Nothing better than an angry Tom Brady. I hope everyone gets their popcorn ready for this postseason.

How come angry Tom Brady didn't win it all last year, if he is to be so very feared?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #978
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Do you concede that they have a history of cheating. For instance, Spygate?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #979
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Part of me is disappointed that Brady won't be taking Goodell to the Supreme Court

You know he was never actually going to get to the Supreme Court, right?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #980
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why can't we all get along?

They were targeted because they were good at cheating.

Now let's all sing Kumbaya.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #981
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you concede that they have a history of cheating. For instance, Spygate?

They have a history of being more harshly punished than other teams for rules violations, but if you think a, "history of cheating," being having someone stand in the wrong location while filming justifies punishment with zero evidence here then so be it. Don't try to make it out like they're the Denver Broncos though.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-15-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #982
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Bullshit. The NFL has not come out with one piece of evidence that the balls were illegally deflated that hasn't been revealed as a lie. (Stuff the NFL KNEW was a lie, and yet they haven't corrected it yet
Old 07-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #983
bob
College Starter

Quote:
How come angry Tom Brady didn't win it all last year, if he is to be so very feared?

Maybe I'm getting old, but once I saw this comment, I had to good look who actually did win. I had totally forgotten....
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #984
molson
General Manager

I don't know what Brady did with his balls, but it's pretty clear now that scientific conclusions relied on by the NFL have been debunked. That doesn't mean Brady still wouldn't have been found guilty if the NFL went about their case more competently with different evidence. But none of that matters when it comes to the legal challenges since then. The NFLPA agreed to this discipline appellate process, and it seems the NFL did work within it.

Odds of the Supreme Court taking the case were slim but I'm surprised they didn't go for it after they hired Ted Olson and got the one dissenting opinion in the 2nd Circuit. Maybe Brady just got tired of going to meetings with lawyers.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #985
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Why can't we all get along?

They were targeted because they were good at cheating.

Now let's all sing Kumbaya.

I'm good with this .
Old 07-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #986
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm looking forward to see what Jimmy can do.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #987
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:

Denver's pass rushers were angrier or something.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #988
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the whole thing was a travesty where the NFL played Calvinball with their own rule set because the Pats had been too good for too long

Wait what? I stopped following this side shit ages ago so maybe this is a common claim and I am just isolated from it. But what?

In the NBA we all cry conspiracy because its good for the league when big city teams are good, we all cry conspiracy because the team with the stars (loved or hated) advances in the playoffs and the refs weren't perfect, so of course the NBA wants to prop up the dynasties b/c its best for the league, that's just common sense!

But in the NFL the conspiracy is that they're actively trying to tear down the dynasty, and the storylines with their best and most popular players and franchises, becuase... why?

I know the deflategate case had issues and I get the idea that there were a lot of fuckups, but the big bad NFL wants to destroy their best and most successful franchise and most popular player over the last 15 years b/c that would be good for them?

SHURG.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #989
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Part of me is disappointed that Brady won't be taking Goodell to the Supreme Court, I think the whole thing was a travesty where the NFL played Calvinball with their own rule set because the Pats had been too good for too long, but I can understand just wanting it over and done with.

I hope the pats go 16-0, win the superbowl, and have that slimy conniving Fuck Goodell have to smile and hand over the Lombardi trophy.

woohoo! (well except the last part with the Pats going 16-0)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #990
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Wait what? I stopped following this side shit ages ago so maybe this is a common claim and I am just isolated from it. But what?

In the NBA we all cry conspiracy because its good for the league when big city teams are good, we all cry conspiracy because the team with the stars (loved or hated) advances in the playoffs and the refs weren't perfect, so of course the NBA wants to prop up the dynasties b/c its best for the league, that's just common sense!

But in the NFL the conspiracy is that they're actively trying to tear down the dynasty, and the storylines with their best and most popular players and franchises, becuase... why?

I know the deflategate case had issues and I get the idea that there were a lot of fuckups, but the big bad NFL wants to destroy their best and most successful franchise and most popular player over the last 15 years b/c that would be good for them?

SHURG.

. The widespread perception that Goodell gave the Patriots a break on Spygate, followed by the NFL's stonewalling of a potential congressional investigation into the matter, shaped owners' expectations of what needed to be done by 345 Park Ave. on Deflategate.

It was, one owner says, time for "a makeup call."

Or:

But to the many owners who saw the Patriots as longtime cheaters, it really didn't matter that Goodell appeared eager, perhaps overeager, to show the rest of the NFL that he had learned the lessons of Spygate. One team owner acknowledges that for years there was a "jealous ... hater" relationship among many owners with Kraft, the residue of Spygate. "It's not surprising that there's a makeup call," one team owner says. Another longtime executive says a number of owners wanted Goodell to "go hard on this one."

From Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and New England Patriots apart

So never mind that the evidence was flawed, never mind that the punishment didn't fit the crime, the rest of the owners wanted Kraft and the Patriots pulled down because they've been too good for too long, and Goodell, who maintains his job solely at the pleasure of the owners, gave in.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #991
Logan
Head Coach

How did you get "because they've been too good for too long" from those quotes which state it was because of how lax the punishments have been in the past?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #992
Kodos
Resident Alien

Pay more attention to the longtime cheaters part, Foz.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #993
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Denver's pass rushers were angrier or something.

Well Von Miller is one happy man today methinks.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #994
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pay more attention to the longtime cheaters part, Foz.

Except in this case, THERE WAS NO FUCKING CHEATING.

None. ZIP. ZERO.

Even going against the damn referee's best recollection of what gauge he used, the Wells Report couldn't find jackshit to suggest there was, other then "Herp a derp, the balls were low on pressure". When that naturally happens due to temperature and moisture.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #995
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And where do we end up? At the same place we've been for quite a while.

Lovers gonna love and typically blindly defend.
Haters still hate, cause it's one of the dirtiest franchises in U.S. sports history.

At least this time the courts sent the little bitch packing.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-15-2016 at 06:59 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #996
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And where do we end up? At the same place we've been for quite a while.

Lovers gonna love and typically blindly defend.
Haters still hate, cause it's one of the dirtiest franchises in U.S. sports history.

At least this time the courts sent the little bitch packing.

If they had, Goodell would have been fired.

And yeah, Haters are going to hate, despite the fact they have no basis to hate.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #997
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they had, Goodell would have been fired.

And yeah, Haters are going to hate, despite the fact they have no basis to hate.

And defenders gonna defend, even if there was video evidence of Brady & Kraft raping a baby goat with a kitten.

It is what it is {shrug}
Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #998
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Pats have spent years pushing the lines of what's allowable. Karma's a bitch.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #999
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

SHURG.
The theory's always been that it was initiated by people with a personal, not professional, vendetta against Belichick and the Pats. Mike Kensil specifically was one of the people at the Jets when Belichick wrote I quit on a napkin and bounced to New England. Then once that false info was leaked and the narrative developed Goodell cowtowed to the owners (which, to be fair, is what they pay him for) regardless of what the facts were.

And now people who would be apoplectic if this was their team, and appalled if this was the evidence in any court case, are not just accepting of Goodell's actions but actually gleeful it happened I guess because the fanbase is arrogant? And they perceive the Patriots as cheaters, even though outside of Spygate (for which we received the largest punishment in NFL history) there is zero hard evidence the Patriots actually push boundaries any more than the average NFL team. So yeah, SHURG it is, because apparently most people are incapable of disliking the Patriots or their fans while still acknowledging that this has been a witch-hunt from day 1 and a complete joke on Goodell's part, if the goal really was to find the truth. Which it clearly hasn't been.

As far as the punishment I've never cared about the Brady stuff compared to the draft picks, and barring injury the timeline doesn't work for Jimmy G replacing him, but hopefully he does well in his audition so we can get more draft capital when we likely trade him next spring.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #1000
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Pats have spent years pushing the lines of what's allowable. Karma's a bitch.

This.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote