Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #951
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
no it's not something you *have* to do (you can take the defaults), but it doesn't look like you can disable this artificial approach either.
OK. That sounds a little odd but I can see the benefits for certain types of players.

It just brought back bad memories of OOTP6.5, where they tried to address the issue of the AI not considering the difference between prospects and veterans by putting in a global setting where you could tell the game which type of player the AI should want. Which missed the point completely, of course, since the idea was that each AI team should make up their own mind.

These sort of settings always remind me of Kramer's movie-phone voice -- "Why don't you just tell me what the AI should do?"
Old 06-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #952
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
This game has a baffling amount of flaws ... I just can't get over how flawed some of the basics are.

It's really pretty simple, one of the oldest rules of computing.
GIGO.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #953
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Same thing happened for me. I setup a subpar Candian league, and adjusted all the financials for that league to be lower including the ones you mention above as well as the expected salaries based on player quality. But still I saw this crappy Canadian league make very large contract signings. But it's too early for me to call this a bug and not user error.

In my league, see on page 17 I think, I set up a similar league. I like how flexible I could make things. I don't think that doing just a default setting would cut it.

In my MIL, I have seen a couple of larger contracts, but when the entire budgets of some teams are less than the contracts that players are getting for one season in the Bigs, then I doubt that I will be seeing the top talent migrate there until the end of their careers.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #954
st.cronin
General Manager

I've been fiddling around with the demo, and the game really does look fantastic. It's possible I may pick this up after another patch or so, but I have high hopes that the next version will be real good.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #955
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
What I don't understand was how was this not seen in testing? Why is this juts becoming an issue after release? Just going to the transaction screen takes so long to load because there are so many transactions it doesn't take much to realize there is an issue.

Be honest, how many of the OOTP beta testers were actually testing and searching for bugs opposed to just trying to get a sneak peak at the game early?

That's not really just for OOTP either, any game that requires a bunch of free testers will get their share of those who aren't really serious about testing.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #956
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As someone who is helping to beta test PureSim 2007 from the beginning, I can tell you that the group that Shaun got is dedicated to making the game better.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #957
st.cronin
General Manager

One comment - the AI for intentional walks appears to be crazy. Just playing with the demo, I've seen teams up by 4 intentionally walk the bases loaded in the ninth inning, SEVERAL times. That should NEVER happen. If you're up by 4 in the ninth inning with two men on, and Barry Bonds is up, you don't walk him.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #958
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Speaking of salary, you know what really bugs me? When setting up a league, you have to define the value for a typical contract for a "superstar player", "average player", etc. This is just evidence of lazy programming and indicates that the game does not use the laws of supply and demand to dynamically determine how much each player should be worth. I don't want to have to say "superstars should make about $20M per year." I just want to say "Teams about this much budget - you figure out how much each player is worth."

That's not what it's there for. The financial co-efficient and the average ticket price determine how much money overall that a team spends on players. The average salary for a particular type of player only effects how that money is distributed. It doesn't matter if you put in $4,000 for a star player for $400 million, the game is only looking at distribution in those numbers, not the actual average salary those players will receive. It's actually very nice. Now if only the AI wasn't fucked so I could actually want to get the game.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #959
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsfan
Be honest, how many of the OOTP beta testers were actually testing and searching for bugs opposed to just trying to get a sneak peak at the game early?

That's not really just for OOTP either, any game that requires a bunch of free testers will get their share of those who aren't really serious about testing.

Oh yeah wow, great post, original thought.......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #960
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Oh yeah wow, great post, original thought.......

Spare me the rolleyes emote. Sorry if that thought has been mentioned somewhere in this 900+ post thread and I just happened to miss it somehow.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #961
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spare me the rolleyes emote. Sorry if that thought has been mentioned somewhere in this 900+ post thread and I just happened to miss it somehow.

Don't feel bad. I've read more of the thread than not & don't recall anybody particularly addressing the extremely valid point that you brought up. Heck, I was starting to wonder whether it was the 900 pound gorilla in the room that was being intentionally ignored.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #962
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Don't feel bad. I've read more of the thread than not & don't recall anybody particularly addressing the extremely valid point that you brought up. Heck, I was starting to wonder whether it was the 900 pound gorilla in the room that was being intentionally ignored.

Thanks. I'm not an OOTP fanboy by any means. I think the release was sloppier than it could have been, but that being said, I don't really expect much more from smaller companies that release games, especially when they can quickly release fixes shortly after the release. It's not like releasing an xbox game.

People complain about the beta testers all the time, but i'd rather it be this way than them charging $50+ a copy to afford to pay for a full testing dept, like the big gaming companies have. I don't mind 'paying to be a beta tester' with games like this, especially if it's only $35 for a pretty large game like OOTP.

As long as the game is playable on release, but i'd rather have a small group of beta testers search out for bugs like that, then have it released and have guys like Troy and many others thoroughly and publicly run through the game, allowing them to tweak it just the way we'd like. IMO, this system is better than us having no input, like what happens when Madden is released every year.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #963
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
As long as the game is playable on release, but i'd rather have a small group of beta testers search out for bugs like that, then have it released and have guys like Troy and many others thoroughly and publicly run through the game, allowing them to tweak it just the way we'd like. IMO, this system is better than us having no input, like what happens when Madden is released every year.

As near as I can gather, there was very robust beta testing with everything from people trying to break the game in every imaginable way to people testing for historical accuracy. Obviously, a lot of bugs slipped through but considering that this was a complete re-write it has to be treated like the first release of a game rather than a sequel. There are actually a couple of show stoppers for me (all related to AI) so I'm going to wait on the public beta testing before I buy it, but its not all that bad of a release, IMO. It's not nearly as bad as some others I can remember.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #964
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not an OOTP fanboy by any means. I think the release was sloppier than it could have been, but that being said, I don't really expect much more from smaller companies that release games, especially when they can quickly release fixes shortly after the release. It's not like releasing an xbox game.

People complain about the beta testers all the time, but i'd rather it be this way than them charging $50+ a copy to afford to pay for a full testing dept, like the big gaming companies have. I don't mind 'paying to be a beta tester' with games like this, especially if it's only $35 for a pretty large game like OOTP.

First off, what you said about the beta testing wasn't out of line, nor has it been mentioned here really. People are getting alittle testy I think. Also, your point is very valid and it would be an understatement to say that the beta process was flawed with this release. I won't speculate on the quality of the beta testing since it would be disrepectful of those who really did test the game properly.
Now I wasn't a beta tester but I can say the testing process with Puresim seems very productive; the game's stableness and quality are a testament to this. I always liked that Shaun releases open beta's for people to play around with the newest features and fixes. I think this model would be a good way to go for the next patch. Shaun releases the beta's in small incremental updates that could be 4 or 5 until the final patch is released officially. This is better than internally spending six weeks testing while the user group is losing interest with the current broken/flawed version.just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-09-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #965
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralhaze
As near as I can gather, there was very robust beta testing with everything from people trying to break the game in every imaginable way to people testing for historical accuracy. Obviously, a lot of bugs slipped through but considering that this was a complete re-write it has to be treated like the first release of a game rather than a sequel. There are actually a couple of show stoppers for me (all related to AI) so I'm going to wait on the public beta testing before I buy it, but its not all that bad of a release, IMO. It's not nearly as bad as some others I can remember.

Public beta testing? Has this been official announced by SI?

Last edited by Galaril : 06-09-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #966
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Public beta testing? Is this been official announced by SI?

i think that was just a figure of speech
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #967
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i think that was just a figure of speech

You would be correct.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #968
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I won't speculate on the quality of the beta testing since it would be disrepectful of those who really did test the game properly.

And I believe there's a reasonable chance that there were at least some who did test the game properly. Ultimately, all testers can do is point out the problems, they aren't in the position of being able to actually make the necessary corrections.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #969
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
And I believe there's a reasonable chance that there were at least some who did test the game properly. Ultimately, all testers can do is point out the problems, they aren't in the position of being able to actually make the necessary corrections.

Very good point.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #970
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Nothing in here is attracting me to this game. I'm not fond of baseball but am fond of sims (duh) and the only OOTP i played was 4 and bored of that pretty quickly.

If the big guns are overwhelmed, I would be d000med.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #971
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think what's most frustrating isn't so much that there are bugs -- that's to be expected -- but its the sorts of things they focused on, versus the things they ignored.

I think that's the glaring thing for me. I'm enjoying it okay, but, there are some real big things that you'd think they'd have focused and those things are completely ignored or done poorly.

Having played EHM and hearing about how detailed FM is, I think the real big difference here is that the lack of overall familarity with a sport (not having grown up with it, I mean) really can affect your understand of the subtle things that no matter how many books you read, etc., that you'll be able to really understand to the degree you'd expect someone making such a game would.

I know that's not some new revelation, but, the more I play the game and read the volumes of complaints on the OOTP forums (people here don't seem like whiners to the degree folks over there do..) that's pretty much the big conclusion around this.

As for beta testers, I bet that a lot of people probably play the same way. That is, maybe there were an overabundance of historical simmers or people who like to just load a major league universe or who play online league a lot. It would've been better to spread it out with folks who do different sorts of things. For instance, I haven't played in an online league since OOTP5 and as a solo player, I'd discovered a ton of different things that the game that were clearly overlooked, either because someone was focused on macro issues, rather than the micro sorts of things.

But finding people who saw those micro things, would have probably saved them a lot of headaches now putting out these patches (though, its not a real headache I guess if you already have people's money...).
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #972
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I think what's most frustrating isn't so much that there are bugs -- that's to be expected -- but its the sorts of things they focused on, versus the things they ignored.

The AI is so bad that I honestly cannot believe that anyone is wasting time actually playing this game. I can see if you are just screwing around, making up leagues, trying to figure out how to design some crazy 'universe' that maybe someday will be playable. I can see messing around with the interface trying to get comfortable. The idea that you can actually play this game is laughable.

The biggest problem with 6.5 was the AI with regards to waivers and the 40-man roster. It should have been priority number 1 with the new versions. Instead, it did the impossible and it's worse. Check out the log that Mike posted a page or so back - it's a joke.

Oh but you can make a league in Botswana that is somewhere between the Sally League and the Women's Professional Fastpitch Softball League.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #973
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
It would've been better to spread it out with folks who do different sorts of things.

They did actually.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #974
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
That's not what it's there for. The financial co-efficient and the average ticket price determine how much money overall that a team spends on players. The average salary for a particular type of player only effects how that money is distributed. It doesn't matter if you put in $4,000 for a star player for $400 million, the game is only looking at distribution in those numbers, not the actual average salary those players will receive. It's actually very nice. Now if only the AI wasn't fucked so I could actually want to get the game.

1. That doesn't change my original argument. Whether your asking people to enter hard value$ or salary distribution, you're still asking users to help overcome a coding shortcut. With a game that's got VORP calculations up to wazoo, the AI should know exactly how valuable each player is and by what % player x is more valuable over player y. You don't see FM or FOF asking people to enter this stuff (right?).

2. If these values are meant to be percentages for distribution purposes, then why ask people to enter in exact dollar amounts? Wouldn't factors (1.2, 1.5) be more intuitive?

3. How are people expected to provide accurate values for these? When ootp is asking me to enter in the value for "Super Star Quality Player typical Salary" what do they mean by "Super Star Player". A-Rod ($21.7M)? Pedro? ($14.9M) Pujols? ($14M) or the league's best closer (Billy Wagner...$10M). That's a difference of $7M+ or 50%. Sounds like a big difference to me, but then again I'm I still need to RTFM. Is Hideki Matsui considered a Super-Star or star? etc...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #975
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
The AI is so bad that I honestly cannot believe that anyone is wasting time actually playing this game. I can see if you are just screwing around, making up leagues, trying to figure out how to design some crazy 'universe' that maybe someday will be playable. I can see messing around with the interface trying to get comfortable. The idea that you can actually play this game is laughable.

The biggest problem with 6.5 was the AI with regards to waivers and the 40-man roster. It should have been priority number 1 with the new versions. Instead, it did the impossible and it's worse. Check out the log that Mike posted a page or so back - it's a joke.

Oh but you can make a league in Botswana that is somewhere between the Sally League and the Women's Professional Fastpitch Softball League.

I actually think that being able to make a Hobbit League or a league in Estonia is going to be pretty freaking awesome....once the AI is at least to the flawed but playable 6.5 level. On that we're in complete agreement. I'm not going to buy the game until that is taken care of.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #976
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:

1. That doesn't change my original argument. Whether your asking people to enter hard value$ or salary distribution, you're still asking users to help overcome a coding shortcut. With a game that's got VORP calculations up to wazoo, the AI should know exactly how valuable each player is and by what % player x is more valuable over player y. You don't see FM or FOF asking people to enter this stuff (right?).

2. If these values are meant to be percentages for distribution purposes, then why ask people to enter in exact dollar amounts? Wouldn't factors (1.2, 1.5) be more intuitive?

3. How are people expected to provide accurate values for these? When ootp is asking me to enter in the value for "Super Star Quality Player typical Salary" what do they mean by "Super Star Player". A-Rod ($21.7M)? Pedro? ($14.9M) Pujols? ($14M) or the league's best closer (Billy Wagner...$10M). That's a difference of $7M+ or 50%. Sounds like a big difference to me, but then again I'm I still need to RTFM. Is Hideki Matsui considered a Super-Star or star? etc...

1. I don't disagree, I was just pointing out what it was for.
2. Yes, absolutely.
3. I have no idea.

I'm stoked about the financial co-efficient (finally!) but the distribution method doesn't make much sense to me either.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #977
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, at first I thought you were being tough. I don't understand how anyone can play with waivers on. They AI just stuffs their 40-man rosters with the biggest schlubs they can find, then when they want to call somebody up, they have to waiver a good guy to make room. It's amazing the amount of 1/2/2 or 2/2/3 guys getting picked up and immediately placed on the 40-man.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #978
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The goofy thing about the whole AI and waivers issue is Markus hasn't said a thing about it on the forums. I would think he knows this main issue is still broken. Oh well, I've played the demo and see some of the same things.. I really wanted to get this game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #979
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
The goofy thing about the whole AI and waivers issue is Markus hasn't said a thing about it on the forums. I would think he knows this main issue is still broken. Oh well, I've played the demo and see some of the same things.. I really wanted to get this game.

In the previous Kuffles era of OOTP I would think that is the case but I'm positive that Marc Duffy is not only telling him that it needs to be fixed, but that he damned well better fix it. That's the one thing that we can be sure will improve in the SI era. We don't have to deal with the amateurish process of the old days. If you have a valid complaint, it will be heard. Now, whether Markus can figure out how to fix it or not is very much an open question given past experience.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #980
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

That was something odd to me as well, the silence was thunderous. The fact that Marcus or even SI hasn't address these issues in some kind of way to customers . As things stand know, do to the silence about these issues I am very skepitical. I have no confidence these AI trades, waivers and free agency issues will or can be resolved by the developers. But, on the bright side Presim is a blast if only there was aroster set for 2006 with the minor leaguers added in AAA.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #981
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
I have no confidence these AI trades, waivers and free agency issues will or can be resolved by the developers.

I don't have confidence that they will be completely resolved, as any long-time OOTP player can attest, the AI has always been a problem. However, I am 100% that a) Markus is aware of the problem thanks to Marc and b) it will be worked on extensively for the second patch. It doesn't even need to be perfect for me to buy it, but there damn well better not be players being signed, released, signed again, released again or the best player in the league being traded for a scrub middle reliever. If that continues in the next patch I'll be right there on the bandwagon calling this game a lost cause.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #982
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't have confidence that they will be completely resolved, as any long-time OOTP player can attest, the AI has always been a problem. However, I am 100% that a) Markus is aware of the problem thanks to Marc and b) it will be worked on extensively for the second patch. It doesn't even need to be perfect for me to buy it, but there damn well better not be players being signed, released, signed again, released again or the best player in the league being traded for a scrub middle reliever. If that continues in the next patch I'll be right there on the bandwagon calling this game a lost cause.

I'm with you here, I'm also a little miffed at how hard it seems to import a 6.5 league. I don't want to name every league and affiliates, nor do I understand what's "normal" for an MLB type league to use.

I'm hoping by the next patch, someone can make an MLB style setup that allows you to import a 6.5 league. I know some have make the system, but you can't import when using it.

I guess I'm just confused by this "world" style baseball setup.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #983
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
In the previous Kuffles era of OOTP I would think that is the case but I'm positive that Marc Duffy is not only telling him that it needs to be fixed, but that he damned well better fix it. That's the one thing that we can be sure will improve in the SI era. We don't have to deal with the amateurish process of the old days. If you have a valid complaint, it will be heard. Now, whether Markus can figure out how to fix it or not is very much an open question given past experience.

I agree with this. I think SI will work toward a fix. The question in my mind is if it is fixable or if it isn't.

I really, really want to like this game. I hope they listen to all of the AI complaints and I hope they get people who care about baseball to look at them. I don't know how the beta worked and I don't know what things were and weren't mentioned. I can say that SOMEONE screwed up here. We aren't talking a little mistake that is debateable. We are talking about the AI going bonkers a good percentage of the time.

These things shouldn't have slipped. Here is a quick little transaction from my league:

12-07-2030 Signed a 7-year contract worth a total of $107,240,000 with the Oakland Mob organization.
12-13-2030 Was traded by the Oakland Mob to the Chicago (N) Stealers, along with SP R. Rometo, $3,000,000, in exchange for MR N. Itoh.

The player in question was a power hitting 1B. He'd hit 30 long balls and driven in over 100 for four consecutive years. his reward was signing a monster contract with Oakland. Six days later Oakland trades their new star. He's shipped with a SP (worthless) and 3 million in cash for a middle reliever.

You see something like this and can't help but put the game up on the shelf and pray for a fix.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #984
astralhaze
College Prospect

Yup, that is show stopping for me. I actually was planning on buying the game after checking out the demo (didn't really play much, just messed around with the interface) but I figured just to be sure I would see what was being said about the game here because I knew people here would be brutally honest and not "graet job marcus ur awsum lol". When I read this thread today I was absolutely mortified.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #985
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I agree with this. I think SI will work toward a fix. The question in my mind is if it is fixable or if it isn't.

I really, really want to like this game. I hope they listen to all of the AI complaints and I hope they get people who care about baseball to look at them. I don't know how the beta worked and I don't know what things were and weren't mentioned. I can say that SOMEONE screwed up here. We aren't talking a little mistake that is debateable. We are talking about the AI going bonkers a good percentage of the time.

These things shouldn't have slipped. Here is a quick little transaction from my league:

12-07-2030 Signed a 7-year contract worth a total of $107,240,000 with the Oakland Mob organization.
12-13-2030 Was traded by the Oakland Mob to the Chicago (N) Stealers, along with SP R. Rometo, $3,000,000, in exchange for MR N. Itoh.

The player in question was a power hitting 1B. He'd hit 30 long balls and driven in over 100 for four consecutive years. his reward was signing a monster contract with Oakland. Six days later Oakland trades their new star. He's shipped with a SP (worthless) and 3 million in cash for a middle reliever.

You see something like this and can't help but put the game up on the shelf and pray for a fix.

yep. that right there is the epitome of broken. and i really really wanted to like this game dammit! hopefully it can all be fixed and i really really can like this game and play it even more than FM (although that is probably several versions down the road)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #986
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wow.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #987
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... and I hope they get people who care about baseball to look at them.

I don't think having a shortage of people who care is that big of a problem.
Having a shortage of people who know what's wrong when they see it & knowing what constitutes "right" with regard to the same issue ... well, that seems to be a helluva lot more challenging for OOTP.

I think that's actually about what you were really getting at, but it seemed important enough to me to be worth a comment.

And, most important of all, somebody has to be able to get the fixes implemented once they are identified. Past experience tells me that this might ultimately be the biggest challenge of all.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #988
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
And, most important of all, somebody has to be able to get the fixes implemented once they are identified. Past experience tells me that this might ultimately be the biggest challenge of all.

Absolutely 100% agreed. How long have waivers been broken? Since they were implimented. How many times have they been "fixed"?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #989
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Public beta testing? Has this been official announced by SI?

yes

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=123019

Here Is part of the quote by Marc Duffy

Quote:
Patch 2

Work will begin on this from Monday / Tuesday.

This patch will

a) Attempt to clear up all major remaining support issues to the best of our ability
b) Tackle some bigger AI issues...

There is no timeline for it's release at this stage.

AI

Speaking of which, I am looking to recruit some people from the forums to join our "Dream Team" beta testing squad. I am looking to find baseball fans with detailed knowledge of Baseball. You will be our mentors and advisors as we implement fixes to any AI issues that cause the most concern!

If you are interested, please PM or Email me via the forum and let's talk!

I think OOTP Baseball 2006 is one of the most engrossing and potentiall ambitious baseball games ever. I don't believe it's without faults but I am determined to work with the community to ensure that our efforts are put into the right areas.

What I do need is for you to now start spreading the word, there is no better recommendation that Word of Mouse (no no not that competition idea)

If you like the game, if you think you'll have friends that are interested ... tell them about this game! Show them the website, show them screenshots and covert them to the newest religion in town.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #990
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

glad I didn't buy 6.5, glad I haven't bought 2006. My problem with OOTP is that in their zeal to put out a new version every year and squeze your wallet for every last drop they can get, their focus is always on promising and developing supposedly great new features without fixing the same problems that have lingered since 4.5. Sad to say it, but I have zero confidence that Markus is up to the task of fixing this game. I think he's been in over his head for a few years now. I thought maybe this would change with SI's support, but just reading a post here and there in this thread leads me to believe it won't. This game peaked with ver.5. Since then they've been dressing up the same old broken doll in newer and prettier outfits in the hope that you preorder without realizing it.

One thing that might help: put together that "Dream Team" of beta testers with detailed knowledge of baseball BEFORE you release the game.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #991
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
yes

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=123019

Here Is part of the quote by Marc Duffy

Do I see a giant "S D" in the sky? The commissioner has picked up the the "Dog Phone " Alfred,we need............... SkyDog!!" The baseball loving fans of FOFC City are calling for his help.
But, seriously I hope some of the guys on the board here have the time and ambition to sign up for this cuz these guys need help. I am a big baseball fan but I will bow to greater experts in field.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-10-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #992
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
What I do need is for you to now start spreading the word, there is no better recommendation that Word of Mouse (no no not that competition idea)

If you like the game, if you think you'll have friends that are interested ... tell them about this game! Show them the website, show them screenshots and covert them to the newest religion in town.

Is he for real? Yeah, just what I wan to do introduce my friends to this abortion. Thanks but no thanks! I will wait till you guys get aworking copy of the software thank you kindly.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #993
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I am glad I didnt buy ootp 2006.

Markus had 2 years to work on ootp 2006.

Does Markus have any coding logic with the Ai? How can the same old AI bugs for waivers, releases, trades, promotion,demotion, etc continue from version to version and show up again on the new engine. People reported it many times in the past and nothing ever gets done. But you will have Markus always saying the AI has improved whenever he release a new update or patch. I don't think that ever been true.

If it was brand new bugs that we never seen in ootp, I have confident with SI and Marc Duffy in getting them fix.

But the same old AI bugs happening from version to version has me wondering if this is the best that Markus can do.

Sometimes I wonder how the SI baseball game would of been if he Ask Shaun from puresim to join them.

Shaun seems to have a better understanding on how to make the AI pretty good.

I have doubt that future patches will fix the AI in ootp 2006 because Markus doesn't seem to understand how to fix it. He never has.

Looks like Puresim 2007 is the baseball sim to play this season.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #994
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
I am glad I didnt buy ootp 2006.

Markus had 2 years to work on ootp 2006.

Does Markus have any coding logic with the Ai? How can the same old AI bugs for waivers, releases, trades, promotion,demotion, etc continue from version to version and show up again on the new engine. People reported it many times in the past and nothing ever gets done. But you will have Markus always saying the AI has improved whenever he release a new update or patch. I don't think that ever been true.

If it was brand new bugs that we never seen in ootp, I have confident with SI and Marc Duffy in getting them fix.

But the same old AI bugs happening from version to version has me wondering if this is the best that Markus can do.

Sometimes I wonder how the SI baseball game would of been if he Ask Shaun from puresim to join them.

Shaun seems to have a better understanding on how to make the AI pretty good.

I have doubt that future patches will fix the AI in ootp 2006 because Markus doesn't seem to understand how to fix it. He never has.

Looks like Puresim 2007 is the baseball sim to play this season.

IMHO The only thing holding back Puresim from blowing on by OOTPB 06 right is the minor leagues ingame. It is really just a sub roster of players. Most of them are scrubs so there is no fun in spending time with them. That is the one nice thing about OOTPB every year some community members who have some DB skills put out a Datbase like AROD's that has all the players from last season as well as the minors at least the AAA players. It seems most of the PS players are historical era guys that liketo play the 1940 's or 1880's etc. Shit, even the OOTPB 06 already has a 06 DB with real 06 rosters. It would be great to get the full Minor league triple AAA player rosters as well as 2006 majors team rosters. I guess I could get of fmy ass and do it right I think ultimately this is what will send me over to OOTPB 06 once they get the AI worked out in three months or so after about half dozen more patches.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #995
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
As someone who is helping to beta test PureSim 2007 from the beginning, I can tell you that the group that Shaun got is dedicated to making the game better.

I can say exactly the same about the OOTP Baseball 2006 testers.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:48 AM   #996
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:

To be fair to him, he's been busy working on the patch so he's had not much time to get into the forums.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #997
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci

One thing that might help: put together that "Dream Team" of beta testers with detailed knowledge of baseball BEFORE you release the game.

We did, however i'm looking for more and I'm looking for people who are complaining about long standing bugs more than anything else so that I can ensure these get the required attention.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:52 AM   #998
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Is he for real? Yeah, just what I wan to do introduce my friends to this abortion. Thanks but no thanks! I will wait till you guys get aworking copy of the software thank you kindly.

Whilst I appreciate you are not a big fan of the game, there are many enjoying the game currently and those that are can spread the word.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #999
TroyF
Coordinator

Marc,

I'll go out on a limb here and say that ANY of us from FOFC who have the game would be willing to do whatever we can to make it better. Even if it involves you just posting reports and letting people pour through them to look for AI glitches, I believe this community wil help in any possible way they can.

I know Sack Attack loves managing games one at a time and has ran through a lot of issues doing things that way. I like the sim a month at a time myself. You can read through this thread and find a nice mixture of people who play the game in different ways.

Shoot any of us a PM and we'll help.

If you already have the help you need, I wish you guys luck and I hope you get it right. I'm looking forward to the next patch and hoping you guys nail it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #1000
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Marc,

I'll go out on a limb here and say that ANY of us from FOFC who have the game would be willing to do whatever we can to make it better. Even if it involves you just posting reports and letting people pour through them to look for AI glitches, I believe this community wil help in any possible way they can.

I know Sack Attack loves managing games one at a time and has ran through a lot of issues doing things that way. I like the sim a month at a time myself. You can read through this thread and find a nice mixture of people who play the game in different ways.

Shoot any of us a PM and we'll help.

If you already have the help you need, I wish you guys luck and I hope you get it right. I'm looking forward to the next patch and hoping you guys nail it.

I've already suggested that some of the folks over here get included in this 'Dream Team', you specfically TroyF.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote