Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #951
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Back to this for a second. I understand them restricting you from getting some achievements for playing more than 5 minutes a quarter because people can play 15 minute quarters to rack up the achievements, and I play 7 minutes quarter. Well, I just dominated the Nittany Lions, held them to a SO, which I got the achievement for. However, I held them to 83 yards total offense, and didn't get the 2 achievements for it. You would figure that they would allow it, especially on longer than 5 minute quarters.
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense at all. I'm with you on this one.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #952
grisha
n00b

Quote:
Wow. Thanks.Are the changes in the ratings based on the end of season (after bowl season) that are locked in? How does the Spring Game play a role in ratings? I noticed only certain ratings may changd (a player may gain +1 in Awareness). Is it certain stats that play a role in what is changed?How would you use the OLine slide adjustments?So are the bonus points just effect certain players than?

I am 99% certain that stats have no effect on player ratings. However, stats do have an effect on composure. (mostly due to playing time)

The end of season ratings are where the player starts off for the offseason improvement.

Spring game itself doesn't have any effect on ratings. In fact, it doesn't contribute to anything.

The major reason for the oline adjustments were the exploits in dline last year. (the shift-slant exploit in particular) Basically, if the dline shifts over to the left or right, you should slide protection that way. I almost never do that, though, because I recruit quick linemen and they usually move fast enough to catch the guys.

The spread dline is something you might want to think about countering with a spread shift if you're one to drop back really far when passing. I usually step up in the pocket, though, so a spread dline isn't an issue.

Last edited by grisha : 10-03-2006 at 08:56 AM.
grisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #953
grisha
n00b

Other quick NCAA gameplay notes that you should know:

1. Height makes a huge difference for dbacks, especially when defending deep balls in man.

2. Awareness is a key this year. I gameplan my offense to take advantage of dim-witted defenders. Basically, they react slower to routes and trap plays. (unlike the last few years where everyone had super-human awareness)

3. Do not start freshmen WRs or QBs on the road if you can help it. Your passing game will look like NCAA 2005.

And some recruiting tips: (offseason)

A. Don't pay too much attention to the number of stars a guy has. 2* guys can become 90+ rated players in a couple years, and 5* guys sometimes don't get any better. The difference between the stars is often due to academic discipline and stamina.

B. Athletes are often the best recruits, rating-wise.

C. If you don't love the guys on your interested player list, and want to take some shots at guys who aren't that interested in your school, here's how you find them:

Week 1. Scout a bunch of players you like, but who don't have you on the top of their list. You don't need to offer scholorships to them yet. (you don't want to waste the points or scholorships on guys who may not sign with you no matter what)

Week 2+: Look at the up/down arrow for all the guys you scouted. If the arrow stays the same (left/right arrow) you will never be able to sign that guy no matter how many points you put on him. If you have a up or down arrow, the guy has you in his top-15 schools, and it is possible to sign him.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #954
grisha
n00b

anything else?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #955
grisha
n00b

Recruit power HBs to play FB. It's nearly impossible to compete for top FBs unless you're a serious option team, and in the top 10.

Don't switch the HB to FB until his 2nd year, though. (good idea to redshirt the 1st year) That way you can avoid any speed or strength "penalties" for making the switch.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #956
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisha View Post
Other quick NCAA gameplay notes that you should know:

3. Do not start freshmen WRs or QBs on the road if you can help it. Your passing game will look like NCAA 2005.

Why's that? Experience and cohesion matter?

What makes underclassmen decide to turn pro? Is it a good year? In my currrent season, guys like Ted Ginn Jr., Adrian Peterson, Mike Hart aren't racing for the Heisman due to either injuries, suspension, or just not living up to the potential. Are they more likely to come back due to "average" or limited seasons?

I love the re-naming feature (re-named the top 10-20 players at each position, expect punter/kicker).

Right now, with Michigan State, am 6-2; No. 25 in the nation. My secondary is terrible. Need to recruit players who can take on the top players. Still playing with the slider settings (Got it on Varsity and turn up the AI to 65%) my wide receiver Matt Trannon is the "leading" candidate for the Heisman. The four other candidates (in current "positioning" order), all quarterbacks, are very suprising players:

JaMarcus Russell, LSU (Jr. RS)
Bret Meyer, Iowa State (Jr. RS)
Drew Wetherford, Florida State (Soph. RS)
Terrance Washington, Cal (Sr. RS)

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-05-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #957
grisha
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why's that? Experience and cohesion matter?

What makes underclassmen decide to turn pro? Is it a good year? In my currrent season, guys like Ted Ginn Jr., Adrian Peterson, Mike Hart aren't racing for the Heisman due to either injuries, suspension, or just not living up to the potential. Are they more likely to come back due to "average" or limited seasons?

1. Composure matters. Composure determines how often and how much player ratings drop on the road, and in pressure situations. Composure generally comes from playing time, and playing time seems to be calculated from recorded stats. Therefore, if you have a player that puts up a lot of stats, they gain composure faster.

Freshman WRs on the road, in a big stadium, drop a ton of balls.

2. What I've been able to figure out about underclassmen going pro is that it's based on the following factors:

2a: Ratings. Obviously higher rated players go pro early more often.
2b. Awards. Guys who win significant awards often go pro early, even with below 90 ratings.
2c. Depth chart position at the end of the season. If you have a great RB listed as #2 or #3, he'll opt to go pro. You can counter this by making great players #1 on the depth chart before the end of the season. (as long as you don't put another pro-eligible star too low)
2d. Randomness. There is a little bit of randomness put in too. (for borderline guys)

The bigest factors that I've noticed are depth chart and awards.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #958
grisha
n00b

Random gameplay tip:

If you're running the option pass play, wait as long as possible to bring up the passing icons. The computer reads the play as run until those icons are brought up.

Last edited by grisha : 10-06-2006 at 11:15 AM.
grisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #959
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisha View Post
Freshman WRs on the road, in a big stadium, drop a ton of balls.

2. What I've been able to figure out about underclassmen going pro is that it's based on the following factors:

2a: Ratings. Obviously higher rated players go pro early more often.
2b. Awards. Guys who win significant awards often go pro early, even with below 90 ratings.
2c. Depth chart position at the end of the season. If you have a great RB listed as #2 or #3, he'll opt to go pro. You can counter this by making great players #1 on the depth chart before the end of the season. (as long as you don't put another pro-eligible star too low)
2d. Randomness. There is a little bit of randomness put in too. (for borderline guys)

The bigest factors that I've noticed are depth chart and awards.

Few questions:

Does this include just true freshmen, or redshirt guys as well? How big of an advantage do you get when redshirting a guy?

Just finish Year 1 with Michigan State. A Top 10 poll finish, an 11-2 record with a Capital Bowl victory over Tennessee, and wideout Matt Trannon won the Heisman (Drew Stafford was also a finalist).

Looking foward to importing my players, a few questions:
1) When players are imported, do they import in the same order, or are the ratings given a slight "variable"? Troy Smith, likely the highest rated player going in at QB, will he likely be the projected top one or two quarterbacks in the draft? Does the All-Star game and combine play a role in the draft selecting process for where they are projected? Does the AI of other teams use these tools?
2) How smart is the AI drafting? Will key positions be given a bigger emphasis if good players are listed? Do they draft on need and type of player (for example, would a team that needs a Pocket passing quarterback for it's offense take Chris Leak over a Troy Smith?) Does size matter? Will they trade smartly? Also, does age matter?
3) I want to make it all the players are named to the players? Any suggestions what the number of players at each position will be avaliable and be "draft or top free agent" candidates? For example, should I re-name the top 15 quarterback players in my imported draft (before saving and importing) ect?
4) You noted depth chart. For example, Ted Ginn Jr., an extremely talented wideout, had an a few weeks of missed action due to injury. Would this make him stay?

Interesting fact. The quarterback class could see a lot of top mobile quarterbacks with Smith, Stafford and likely underclassman Heisman finalist with Iowa State's Bret Meyer.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-15-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #960
rexallllsc
Banned

the 360 version playbooks are weak
it doesnt do a good job with the helmet stickers

still no extra jerseys

boo hoo
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #961
grisha
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Few questions:

Does this include just true freshmen, or redshirt guys as well? How big of an advantage do you get when redshirting a guy?

Just finish Year 1 with Michigan State. A Top 10 poll finish, an 11-2 record with a Capital Bowl victory over Tennessee, and wideout Matt Trannon won the Heisman (Drew Stafford was also a finalist).

Looking foward to importing my players, a few questions:
1) When players are imported, do they import in the same order, or are the ratings given a slight "variable"? Troy Smith, likely the highest rated player going in at QB, will he likely be the projected top one or two quarterbacks in the draft? Does the All-Star game and combine play a role in the draft selecting process for where they are projected? Does the AI of other teams use these tools?
2) How smart is the AI drafting? Will key positions be given a bigger emphasis if good players are listed? Do they draft on need and type of player (for example, would a team that needs a Pocket passing quarterback for it's offense take Chris Leak over a Troy Smith?) Does size matter? Will they trade smartly? Also, does age matter?
3) I want to make it all the players are named to the players? Any suggestions what the number of players at each position will be avaliable and be "draft or top free agent" candidates? For example, should I re-name the top 15 quarterback players in my imported draft (before saving and importing) ect?
4) You noted depth chart. For example, Ted Ginn Jr., an extremely talented wideout, had an a few weeks of missed action due to injury. Would this make him stay?

Interesting fact. The quarterback class could see a lot of top mobile quarterbacks with Smith, Stafford and likely underclassman Heisman finalist with Iowa State's Bret Meyer.

You generally only want to redshirt a guy if he's not going to play in his true freshman season. He won't gain any composure his redshirt year, and his ratings will rarely go up by more than a point or two. In addition, he can opt to leave early for the pros in his sophomore year instead of his junior year, giving you one less season with him active.

In short, don't redshirt guys unless they won't play anyway. (Unless it's for pipeline reasons, which is a whole different strategy)

I've only imported draft classes a few times, but it seems to keep the player value in the same order as they were in NCAA, the exception being option QBs. It seems that option QBs that aren't superstars seem to get a raw deal.

Madden draft AI sucks, always has sucked, and always will suck.

If you're interested in keeping star college players named in Madden, just concentrate on the top 5-8 in each position. After the top few guys, Madden starts to rating-drop players so they fit in the predetermined "draft round value" chart. Personally, I'd stick to only the top 5 in each position except WR and CB where I'd go a little deeper.

The odds Ted Ginn will stay are higher for you since he was injured most of the season. However, if you win your bowl game it might make him want to leave. (I forgot to mention that team awards factor in it too)
Old 10-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #962
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I was getting the dirty disc error as well. last week it became so prevalent that I could not do anything in game or out for more than 10 minutes before I got the error. I even went and got the Intercooler, didn't help. I cleared the cache, didn't help. I took the game back to Rhino Games and they swapped it for me. I've played it 3 times for over an hour each time and have not gotten the error again.

The guy at Rhino told me it was happening a lot, but not enough for a recall. Looks like isolated discs are bad. Pumpy, I would recommend you take it back and swap the game for a new one.

Damn. Just got a dirty disc error. How do you clear the cache?

I may have to move up to Heisman. My Hoosiers are 6-1.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #963
Kodos
Resident Alien

So is consensus that the Xbox version better than the 360 version? I like the 360 version, but if this disc error becomes common, I may trade it in, because I don't LOVE the game.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #964
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Damn. Just got a dirty disc error. How do you clear the cache?

I may have to move up to Heisman. My Hoosiers are 6-1.

There are 2 ways I know of to clear the cache. One is to reset the xbox and hold the A button as the game boots up.

The second is to go to the system tab on the dashboard. Then go to memory. Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. A message will pop up asking you if you want to perform maintenance or something like that. If you do it this way, it clears all software updates, which means you have to reupdate when you load a game for the first time after clearing. I do it the first way myself. It makes screen loads run much faster on Oblivion as well.

In the end I had to swap my 360 for a new one. That stopped all the disc errors. Looks like my original 360 was bad.

Good luck.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #965
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I still can not get this XChange360 thing to work. I have rebooted my machine with the device attached and it still will not recognize it. The To Mem button is greyed out. Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #966
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Disc errors are driving me insane with this game!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #967
Kodos
Resident Alien

Supposedly, if you don't skip through cutscenes, it helps.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #968
vex
Grizzled Veteran

It actually happened last night when I was scoring TDs. Texas was up 7-0 on me, I scored, it froze.

Couple hours later, I got over being pissed at the game, so I played again. I scored first to make it 7-0 and it froze up. Both times it happened pretty much as soon as I entered the endzone. Just wondering if it is the game or the system as I just got both.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #969
vex
Grizzled Veteran

So I played my first game online against some random person. Decent game going, I'm up 14-7, then he quits. Next thing I know he has sent me a msg. I'm paraphrasing because it was teen jibberish, but it said something along the lines of: You suck. I can't jump snap if you always fake the snap. That's not even a real fake snap.

I told him to get over it, basically.

Then he tells me that the fake snap isn't realistic because IRL the camera doesn't move on a fake snap, so it's not fair.

Just wow.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #970
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I never play a random person for that reason.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #971
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Our XBOX just started freezing, but that's because I had it in a completely enclosed cabinet. I had to remind my kids to keep the door to the cabinet open to get some ventilation, but of course they'd forget. Anyway, moved it to the center shelf under the TV - it's an open shelf - and it hasn't frozen since. I can't speak for everyone, but any issue I've had occurred due to over-heating.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #972
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Our XBOX just started freezing, but that's because I had it in a completely enclosed cabinet. I had to remind my kids to keep the door to the cabinet open to get some ventilation, but of course they'd forget. Anyway, moved it to the center shelf under the TV - it's an open shelf - and it hasn't frozen since. I can't speak for everyone, but any issue I've had occurred due to over-heating.

Ditto for me. One time it froze was when my cat had accidently closed the door to my entertainment center most of the way. Otherwise, I've never had a problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #973
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

ok havin a problem with the 360 version.

my controller seems to decide to stop working and start working randomly during the game. i'll finish a play and try to get to the playcall scene but none of the buttons work. i cant start, cant select, cant use A, nothing. then i'll get a delay of game penalty and everything will be fine and functional until i finish the next play. it's not the batteries since it works normally and i tried replacing them. any ideas?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #974
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
ok havin a problem with the 360 version.

my controller seems to decide to stop working and start working randomly during the game. i'll finish a play and try to get to the playcall scene but none of the buttons work. i cant start, cant select, cant use A, nothing. then i'll get a delay of game penalty and everything will be fine and functional until i finish the next play. it's not the batteries since it works normally and i tried replacing them. any ideas?

I had that happen once or twice with my 360 copy (I have since traded it in). I chalked it up to being a bug in the game, since I ran into similar situations. For instance, there is one inside running play where if you flip it, when you snap the ball, your QB will run in a straight line to the sideline (and the defenders can't tackle him). I found a few other plays that if you flip them, the game does really weird things like that, and you can't do anything to stop them (the game won't respond to controller input until you get back to the call play screen).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #975
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So I got this game for PS2 for Christmas. It's been like 15 years since I've played an arcade-style football game. Needless to say, it's kicking my ass. Fun game, cool as hell, but I suck. I'm still used to the controllers that basically allowed you to move directions, sprint, and stiff arm, and that's it. And I don't like the fact that I can't save in-game progress, but I assume that's not just limited to this game. Setting aside an hour to play an entire game doesn't always work out as planned.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM   #976
Ksyrup

Quick question about a frustrating tendency in this game (or so I am experiencing). I went undefeated as FSU my first year, winning the NC. "Lorenzo Booker" retires and I've got a couple of decent RBs left on my roster, one guy rated 91 and his backup rated 84. In the first game of the year, my number 1 guy fumbles 5 times in 3 quarters, so I bench him. Game 2 I start him again, and he fumbles on his first carry, so I bench him again. Luckily, he gets hurt later in the game and is out for awhile.

His replacement is only slightly better. He has fumbled 5 times in 4 games, only starting 2 of them. I haven't looked at their specific ratings so I don't know what the deal is, but I don't care if they have a zero rating for hands, this is bordering on absurd and is killing some of the fun of the game.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to increase their ability to hold onto the ball, even if it's in training for next season? My RB in 2007 fumbled maybe 3 or 4 times in 14 games, so I'm fairly confident it isn't totally my fault while running with the guys.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #977
Butter
Coordinator

Don't try to make a lot of moves while running through traffic. The jukes and such always seem to come with an increased tendency to fumble in my experience.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #978
Ksyrup

That's part of the problem, I agree. I guess I need to adjust my running style from Booker to the "mere mortals" I have now. Although interestingly, my back-up-now-starter has been the best RB of all 3 guys, including Booker. Probably has more to do with my comfort in playing the game than anything, but I've never been that great running the ball before, and I've already had 1 game with this guy where I ran for like 160 yards.

Like I said before, I suck at this game, but in a way, that's good, because it's a challenge against the good teams.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #979
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I almost never use running back moves unless it is a 1 on 1 matchup. Otherwise, the risk of fumbling is just too high.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #980
Ksyrup

OK, less juking/spinning. I just figured I was supposed to do something other than piling into the line and trying to stiff arm or sprint.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #981
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Also, use the triangle button when going through traffic to cover up the ball.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #982
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
OK, less juking/spinning. I just figured I was supposed to do something other than piling into the line and trying to stiff arm or sprint.

At least on the 360 version, I found that very subtle shifts in running direction as the back is going through the line can produce some nice automatic moves from the RB that seem less likely to produce a fumble than the juke/truck stick. However, I also use the coverup button a fair bit (particularly if I'm nursing a lead) which tends to negate those moves.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #983
Ksyrup

OK, so it's 12:30 and I'm so jacked up I can't go to sleep, so I might as well tell you guys about the game I just played.

I played a couple of years as FSU in a dynasty, but it was too easy so I decided to challenge myself. I started a new dynasty as Eastern Michigan. Second game of the first year, I scheduled Ohio State, the preseason #1. I figured it would be a good measuring stick of how far I've come with the game. So I'm playing a pretty solid game through the first half and lead 21-10 at the half. Basically my offense is chuck it long to Stephen Williams, the only above-average WR on my team.

As the game goes on, my D wears down completely. I have leads of 21-17, 28-24, and 35-31, until OSU picks up a fumble and scores a TD to take the lead 38-35. I score another TD with 1:30 left, and I'm feeling quite confident when I stop them on 4th-and-13 with 50 seconds left and a 42-38 lead. I get just enough yardage to kick a 43 yard FG with 10 seconds left, so I lead 45-38.

Then comes the kickoff. I had the wind at my back and had done pretty good kicking it deep enough to not allow a return, so I decide to do that...and you know what happened next. I don't think I've given up a kick return of more than 40 yards in any game I've ever played, but yep, OSU returns the kickoff 104 yards as time expires to tie the game at 45.

We got to OT. I'm fairly sure I'm toast.

We trade TDs for the first 2 OTs, they score on 1 and 2 plays and my D looks like Boise State against OU. But they can't stop Williams, either, and I've done a great job of avoiding the pass rush (they only got 1 sack all game). I get the ball to start the 3rd OT and end up scoring on a 4th-and-goal from the 8, then hit my great WR for the 2-point conversion. So the score is now 67-59. And no, Greg Oden didn't play. OSU gets the ball and on a 3rd-and-10, I pick the pass off at the goal line to seal the victory.

67-59 over the #1 team, on the road, in 3 OTs, with the #94 team in the country. My QB throws for 563 yards and 8 TDs, 450 yards and 6 TDs to my stud WR.

And that's why I can't sleep right now!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #984
CraigSca
Pro Starter

PureSim AI better.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #985
Ksyrup

Damn this game is fun!

So I finished my first year as EMU going 14-0. Time to move up to All-American. The games feel much more realistic playing at this level. I might even lose (actually I'm hoping I do, to be honest). Question for you guys...is there a suggested/ideal quarter length I should be playing to make the game as realistic as possible? I've just been playing with 5 minute quarters, but now that the games are feeling less arcadey and more real, I want to duplicate the feel/timing of a real game as best as possible.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #986
Butter
Coordinator

8-9 minutes works for me.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #987
Ksyrup

Really? That seems long. I don't run a hurry-up or anything, but I could see putting up big numbers (on both sides) playing with 8-9 minute quarters. I guess I can control the clock with my offense, but even if I wait as long as possible to pick a play on D, it still feels like the computer doesn't use as much of the clock as I do. I'll have to give it a try. The other thing that does, of course, is make the game longer, and I really REALLY hate the fact that we can't save in-progress games. It takes me about 45 minutes to complete a game now, so adding that time would easily put me over an hour. And I've turned off all of the commentary, instant replays, etc.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #988
Butter
Coordinator

I usually use 8 minutes, and it does take about an hour to finish a game... but that gives me a fairly realistic feel, I have found. If you don't want to increase the amount of time it takes you to finish a game, then you can't really bump up the quarter time then, can you?

If you're playing with a pass heavy offense, I can see how this would seem too long for you, but it's perfect with a balanced type offense.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #989
Ksyrup

Yeah, I know. I need to get a feel for it. I had been pass-happy on the lower levels because it was so easy to dominate that way, but the 2 games I've played on the A-A level I have run the ball more and the game has felt shortened. I shouldn't be able to kill 80% of a quarter with one drive, for instance. So I probably do need to bump it up to 8, maybe.

How about the other settings - specifically fatigue and penalties. What are the "realistic" settings I should be using (or working my way up to)?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #990
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll second 8 to 9 minutes for the most realistic number of plays. With a balanced offense, it only takes me an hour. Not sure about fatigue and penalty settings for that version of the game. I'll also second the desire for them to re-enable midgame saves.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-02-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #991
Ksyrup

I was floored when I realized mid-game saving wasn't an option. When I play late at night it isn't an issue, but try sitting in one place for 75 minutes with 2 kids, a wife, and 2 dogs all barking at you to do something. It's nearly impossible for me to play an entire game in 1 sitting before 10pm.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #992
Butter
Coordinator

I'm not much help on the fatigue and penalty settings either... I think I have all the penalties turned up to max except the personal fouls/unsportsmanlike thing, which is in the middle or lower.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #993
Ksyrup

I'm noticing very few penalties, and about 75% of those that are called are unsportsmanlike PFs. Of course, I've also figured out that if I hit start immediately after a big play, I can usually avoid execessive celebrations, so I can control that to some extent.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #994
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, they love to call taunting whenever someone gets fired up... personally, I don't mind the animations on those, but did notice that other penalties seemed too light, which is why I settled on max. for all but PF's.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #995
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I started playing this again last weekend and got a game in this weekend, and I'm finding myself hooked again. Now, I'm overlooking the flaws, avoiding a few money plays, and using some really good sliders on OS and having a blast. Just had a tough recruiting year in so far as I didn't get a top CB or DT that I needed and will be starting a 71 rated CB and a 66 rated DT. I didn't plan on squeezing one more game in tonight, but I just can't wait to try out my QB from a year or two ago who has Vick type speed with a good arm.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #996
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Can you link to those sliders EF?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #997
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Can you link to those sliders EF?

I thought they were Jistic's but I can't find them anywhere now.

Here they are (with my apologies to whoever created them):

Heisman Level

8 minute quarters

Offside: 75
False Start: 100
Holding: 100
Facemask: 100
Offensive PI: 100
Defensive PI: 50
KR/PR Inter: 75
Clipping: 50
Intentional Grounding: 85
Roughing the Passer: 50
Roughing the Kicker: 50

HUMAN/CPU

QB Accuracy: 71/26
Pass Blocking: 74/35
WR Catching: 73/26
RB Ability: 58/36
Run Blocking: 62/46

Awareness: 74/35
Knockdowns: 77/28
Interceptions: 0/0
Break Block: 53/26
Tackling: 72/44

FG Power: 80/15
FG Accuracy: 0/0
Punt Power: 55/55
Punt Accuracy: 35/35
Kickoff Power: 50/50

I've had some high shooting games with these sliders and some defensive battles. I had a game yesterday that ended up 19-12. I also lost 2 games this season with these sliders despite having a very good USC squad. I lost to Oregon and ND.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-12-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #998
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

So far this game, my young QB has 42 yards rushing (91 speed) but only 37 yards passing, but it is still the 1st quarter.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #999
Ksyrup

In three years with Eastern Michigan (starting year 3), I've gone from having a WR with 3500 yards and 50 TD to a flexbone/wishbone offense throwing for 100-150 yards a game and running for 200+. I just avenged my only loss in 3 years to WVU (29-28) by beating them 42-10 to start year 3.

The one thing I don't like, regardless of my program's prestige, is how little I move in the polls after winning huge games. In all 3 years, I have knocked off ranked teams to start the season, but barely can crack the top 25. In year 3, after going 25-1 the past 2 years, I started #26, beat #4 and moved up to #23, then beat #8 and moved up to #21. Give me a freakin' break!

I'm hooked on this game. I'm not all that great at it by any stretch, but it's a lot of fun. I just hope I can get EMU into a position where I can compete for the NC. Starting the season in the 20s/30s and slowly working my way up to the top 15 at best is going to get old quick.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #1000
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh. I just heard a piece of commentary I've never heard before. My QB besides having 91 speed has 99 elusiveness and I just scrambled, juked two guys, and ran for a 62 yard gain. The commentators said, "He reminds me of a guy who used to play for Virginia Tech not that long ago." Very cool.

Edit to add: I'm running a 3-4 for the first time ever because of the lack of a 2nd good DT, and I'm finding it to be quite fun since I have 4 very good linebackers.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-12-2007 at 11:20 PM.