Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #951
bronconick
College Starter

Tampa Bay has 33.9 million tied up in 7 forwards, 4 defensemen, and one goalie for next season.

So, they're looking at having somewhere between 7 and 12 million to spend on 11 players, just to fill out their opening day roster, not including any injury callups they have. Morons.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #952
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
Tampa Bay has 33.9 million tied up in 7 forwards, 4 defensemen, and one goalie for next season.

So, they're looking at having somewhere between 7 and 12 million to spend on 11 players, just to fill out their opening day roster, not including any injury callups they have. Morons.

Prospal has 2 more years at $1.9 mil, which is an OK salary for him as one of your top 6. Modin has 1 year left at $2.2. One of those guys is being moved, probably Modin. And probably some of their RFAs are not tendered, or tendered and moved for younger guys. Fedotenko and Sarich are the two that come to mind.

I'd love to see Sarich in Pittsburgh--for the right price. Plus, he's a righty, which we desparately need.

Edit-- don't they still hold Shane Wills' rights?

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-22-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #953
bronconick
College Starter

They've also given Kubina his walking papers with this, I'd imagine. I guess they could overpay to keep him, too, and just round it out with 10 AHL'ers making 450k.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #954
bronconick
College Starter

dola, stolen from a poster on HFboards.

Fredrik Modin ($2.204) - Brad Richards ($7.8) - Martin St. Louis ($5.25)
Vaclav Prospa ($1.9) - Vincent Lecavalier ($6.85) - __________
__________ - __________ - __________
__________ - Tim Taylor ($650,000) - Rob DiMaio ($478,800)

Dan Boyle ($3.33) - __________
Paul Ranger ($450,000) - __________
Nolan Pratt ($625,000) - Darryl Sydor ($2.128)

Throw in $660k for Andreychuk's salary, though he's retired. It's not so much the Richards deal slightly overpaid, I would have thought him for LeCavalier money, LeCavalier for St. Louis' contract, and St. Louis let go to go play elsewhere instead of a contract paying him $5.2 a season when he's 36. Use that $6 million on a goalie. and you're at least competitive, if somewhat weak on the blue line.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #955
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
dola, stolen from a poster on HFboards.

Fredrik Modin ($2.204) - Brad Richards ($7.8) - Martin St. Louis ($5.25)
Vaclav Prospa ($1.9) - Vincent Lecavalier ($6.85) - __________
__________ - __________ - __________
__________ - Tim Taylor ($650,000) - Rob DiMaio ($478,800)

Dan Boyle ($3.33) - __________
Paul Ranger ($450,000) - __________
Nolan Pratt ($625,000) - Darryl Sydor ($2.128)

Throw in $660k for Andreychuk's salary, though he's retired. It's not so much the Richards deal slightly overpaid, I would have thought him for LeCavalier money, LeCavalier for St. Louis' contract, and St. Louis let go to go play elsewhere instead of a contract paying him $5.2 a season when he's 36. Use that $6 million on a goalie. and you're at least competitive, if somewhat weak on the blue line.

Their prospect depth is mainly on D though, correct? Ranger has developed. If they can continue that, they might look OK there in 2007-08. But, at forward...there is nobody.

They try and move St. Louis for a goaltender, but they'd probably have to take salary back too, so you might fill a void in net, but opened a new one on the wing.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #956
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

3-1 Carolina going into the third. Complete domination by the Hurricanes thus far.

I blame RendeR and Chubby for jinxing Buffalo with their overconfidence in this thread.

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #957
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

It's not Buffalo's day when Miller lets in that goal.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #958
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #959
Karim
College Starter

Doesn't the minimum salary jump to $500k this season?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #960
RendeR
Coordinator

As Lindy said: "the first 40 minutes were probably the worst Hockey we've played in the playoffs..."

Kudos to Carolina, they came out with fire and spit and dominated the early game. Miller let in a soft one, don't expect it to happen often if at all the rest of the way. Ward was INSANE in the goal for the hurricanes. if he doesn't make 4 fantastic, seriously UNREAL saves in this one the Sabres go home with a 2-0 lead.

Not a good game for us, but when everything goes your way (Carolina's) then you're going to win games.

Let's see the 1-2 wammy in Buffalo, Sabres come back to Raleigh leading 3-1!!

*knocks on wood*

Gratz to the 'Canes tonight, they deserved the win.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #961
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes got off to a sluggish start, picked it up and really motored through the middle period, but then got really, really sloppy in the third when they thought they had it in the bag. Cannot, CANNOT do that against this team. At least we get a game five. Hopefully they'll find a way to keep playing well and force a split. Really don't want to come back to Raleigh down 3-1.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #962
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Tampa now has $19.9 million tied up in Richards, St. Louis, and Lecavalier next year. All three are great players, but that's close to 1/2 of the likely cap for one line.

Yeah, and none of them can play between the pipes

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #963
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I do not like Marc Crawford.

Neither do his players.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #964
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

By the way, here's an Ottawa update.

Sens' owner Eugene Melnyk has posted his annual apology-for-this-year/guarantee-for-next-year letter, which was published in the papers up here as well. You can read it here. Needless to say, he has a lot of fans rolling their eyes.

Some fun highlights:

- His strong and inspiring statement that "The only people that deserve accolades are those who deliver." Except it's immediately followed by "Our coaching staff is excellent and their leadership will be a cornerstone for this team when we hit the ice again in the fall. Our management is excellent and there is nobody in the league I would rather have managing this team." Hm... I guess you can get accolades without delivering after all.

- Calls Ottawa "the greatest fans that an owner can ask for", which is true as long as an owner isn't asking for sellouts, seasons tickets, or, um, noise.

- In the real head-scratcher, he's not only guaranteeing a Stanley Cup (as everyone in Ottawa likes to do), but is now actually calling for a dynasty. Yes, despite only making the final four once in nine years, the Senators are apparently now going to "hoard that Cup year after year". What has that about needing to deliver before you get accolades?

So bad news for the rest of the league... the Stanley Cup may be up for grabs this year, but it's spoken for through the next several years. Better luck next decade!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #965
Karim
College Starter

A few articles...

More wonderful ratings news...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...t&lid=tab2pos2

Ted Nolan back in the spotlight...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2455528

Fan violence in Carolina...
http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/442552.html
Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #966
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
A few articles...

More wonderful ratings news...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...t&lid=tab2pos2
I love hockey, go skating/to stick time regularly and like to think I followed the league somewhat closely this year, even if I had to switch team allegiances midway (from Boston to SJ) to do it. And until I clicked on that link I had no idea Anaheim's uniforms looked anything like that. I partially blame my lack of OLN, but honestly if the NHL doesn't have fans like me watching it on TV, there's really no hope for growth.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #967
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
And until I clicked on that link I had no idea Anaheim's uniforms looked anything like that.
Of course, it might also help if two-thirds of the teams in the league didn't change their uniforms every year in a cynical attempt to wring a few extra marketing dollars out of the fans.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #968
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

note to Bishop: Anaheim's uniform will be changing next year, when they become the plain old Anaheim Ducks.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #969
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim

Well, you put the sport on some fourth-rate upstart cable network that large swaths of folks do not even receive, you get lousy ratings. I'm more interested in how the ratings were for the NBC-broadcast playoff games, or the ones that have been on Fox Sports South.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #970
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Anaheim blows.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #971
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I know you guys look to me for leadership and hockey analysis, so I want to tip you off to some breaking news: Edmonton is good.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #972
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Well, you put the sport on some fourth-rate upstart cable network that large swaths of folks do not even receive, you get lousy ratings. I'm more interested in how the ratings were for the NBC-broadcast playoff games, or the ones that have been on Fox Sports South.

From that article:

So far, the playoffs haven't generated any additional interest for NBC, either. In fact, the ratings are down. The network's regular-season games were watched in 1.09 million households, according to Nielsen data, and playoff games have been watched by 1.02 million households.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #973
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Anaheim blows.

And they score 3 goals since.

Anaheim really blows.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #974
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, after that third goal that made it 3-0, I told my wife that the Ducks were cooked. If they manage to tie this game up... well, perhaps that "we want the cup" chant was a tad premature.

SI

Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #975
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I know you guys look to me for leadership and hockey analysis, so I want to tip you off to some breaking news: Edmonton is good.
That sounded like a jynx if ever there was one.

SI

Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #976
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course, it might also help if two-thirds of the teams in the league didn't change their uniforms every year in a cynical attempt to wring a few extra marketing dollars out of the fans.
Yeah, I guess those are new 3rd uniforms, and not the regular jerseys, but still wow.

And wow, Anaheim gets 3 in 4 minutes to bring it back to a 1-goal game. Wish I had OLN right now (or CBC) but oh well.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #977
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I'm a Leaf fan. The force is strong in me.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #978
Karim
College Starter

If people didn't find that exciting, they're dead.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #979
bbor
Pro Starter

Jiggy in game 4?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #980
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI

Is that the Canadian spelling?

Go Oilers!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #981
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
From that article:

So far, the playoffs haven't generated any additional interest for NBC, either. In fact, the ratings are down. The network's regular-season games were watched in 1.09 million households, according to Nielsen data, and playoff games have been watched by 1.02 million households.

1 million is much better viewership than the 117,000 they said they were getting on OLN...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #982
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The theme of this playoffs has been: younger, faster, stronger. Teams with those elements have really thrived in the playoffs, thanks, in part, to the new rules and the like. So what's the Wings first off-season move? Re-sign 44 year old, Chris Chelios. Next on the agenda is trying to re-sign 38 year old Brendan Shanahan. With 41 year old Steve Yzerman looking like he may return for another season and the Wings almost guaranteed to re-sign 36 year old Niklas Lidstrom (for around $7.5-$8 million a year, thank you very much Tampa Bay Lightning), I guess the whole "younger and faster" movement will have to wait a year or two. That said, I can't complain about the moves. Chelios played pretty well throughout the season. I like Shanahan and think he still has value, despite playing like crap in the play-offs the last 3-4 years. Yzerman is, well, Yzerman and Lidstrom is still one of the best defensemen in the league.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #983
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow....i did'nt realize Lidstrom is already 36.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #984
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I like Shanahan and think he still has value, despite playing like crap in the play-offs the last 3-4 years.
If the Wings let Shanahan become a free agent, and he's not signed by Ottawa by the end of the first day, Muckler should be fired on the spot.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #985
RendeR
Coordinator

Quit yapping about a team thats no longer IN the playoffs

LETS GO SABRES!!!!!!

4-1 and back on the powerplay as Carolina continues its game 3 meltdown.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #986
RendeR
Coordinator

WHAT

A

GAME!!

Sabres 4-3 weathering a huge push by carolina's best. Give the replacement goalie credit, he came into a tornado and kept his team in it. If he wasn't on his ACE game the Sabres go up easily 7 or 8 to 2 and never have to worry. He made it a challenge.

Great game by Miller in goal, he made the bigtime saves when he had to. Danny Briere was on fire tonight and for all those skoffing at the physical side of things: We hit the shit out of them tonight. Bodies were flying everywhere.

Great Game, Lets go back to Raleigh up 3-1!!!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:17 PM   #987
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
WHAT

A

GAME!!

Sabres 4-3 weathering a huge push by carolina's best. Give the replacement goalie credit, he came into a tornado and kept his team in it. If he wasn't on his ACE game the Sabres go up easily 7 or 8 to 2 and never have to worry. He made it a challenge.

Great game by Miller in goal, he made the bigtime saves when he had to. Danny Briere was on fire tonight and for all those skoffing at the physical side of things: We hit the shit out of them tonight. Bodies were flying everywhere.

Great Game, Lets go back to Raleigh up 3-1!!!!!
\
I hope so, that means I go 2-0 in playoff games I've attended
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #988
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Looks like the Sabres will need to finish this series off quick before they run out of bodies:

Tallinder out with broken arm.

That being said, all their prior injuries haven't slowed them too much against Carolina so far. The Canes can't seem to put together a full game of effort right now. Too many dumb mistakes on defense and the Sabres got to them mentally with all the hitting yesterday in the second period. When they finally got the ball rolling in the third, Buffalo was hard-pressed, but they dug way too big of a hole to get all the way out.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #989
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Interesting fact: Of the final four teams, only one forward makes more than $4M. And that's Doug Weight, who has a mid-season rental.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM   #990
bbor
Pro Starter

Ryan Smyth does'nt make 4 mil?Or Peca for that metter?

That is surprising.

I imagine the highest payed player left is Pronger?

Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #991
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I imagine the highest payed player left is Pronger?
Either him or Neidermayer.

Gigere's probably in the top five, oddly enough.

Edit: Apparently Peca makes $3.99 million.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-25-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #992
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Either him or Neidermayer.

Gigere's probably in the top five, oddly enough.

Edit: Apparently Peca makes $3.99 million.

Ahh yes...i forgot about Neidermeyer.

$3.99 for a guy who basically does'nt turn it on till the play-offs.Not bad if you win a cup,but if you don't make the play-offs(Islanders) and are paying him it sucks.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #993
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Ryan Smyth does'nt make 4 mil?Or Peca for that metter?

That is surprising.

exactly my thought.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #994
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

top salaries, just for kicks:
Niedermayer 6.75
Pronger 6.25
Weight 5.75
Giguere 3.99
Peca 3.99
Brind'Amour 3.8
Smyth 3.5
Drury 2.9 (Buffalo's highest)
Samsonov 2.77
Tverdovsky 2.5

5 of the 10 are current or former Oilers.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #995
JeeberD
General Manager

I miss Doug Weight...

Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #996
bronconick
College Starter

Well, the Ducks finally solved Roloson in the last 4 periods, though it's probably going to end up being a game too late.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #997
Karim
College Starter

If Anaheim wins the next one, all the pressure will be on Edmonton in game six. The Oilers better finish this one off before Anaheim starts believing they can win this thing.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #998
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I miss Doug Weight...

He's starting to get a lot of love around here.

BTW, the ubiquitous reffing question: I did not get to watch much of the CAR-BUF game 3, but there were lots of complaints around here about the officiating. Not that they were making bad calls against Carolina, but rather that they were letting Buffalo get away with a lot. I saw one glimpse of this in my little bit of watching, where Doug Weight got called (legitimately) for interference for hitting a guy along the boards a bit after he passed the puck, but the refs missed the elbow to the face Mike Commodore took from the guy who caught the pass. There was also talk of a blatantly missed cross-check, and Commodore getting tripped 15 feet from a ref with no call.

But it's all second-hand. From those who watched it, how much validity is there to this, or is it a bunch of blowhard BS from disappointed Carolina fans?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #999
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I think it runs both ways to some extent. Carolina had Buffalo in the box for decent chunks of the first period, but then it went the other way in the second period, particularly with the crowd's collective blood up from all the hitting and scoring. The refs may have let it get a little more physical because everyone was enjoying it. I erased the game as soon as it was over, so I didn't examine any of the harder hits for whether they were legitimate, but I'd say they were good hard hits from my memory.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #1000
bbor
Pro Starter

Does Carolina have the scratch to re-up Weight?