Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #951
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I give vtbub the best value pick in that category. Bucc and Maple Leafs made nice picks, too.
The fifth pick in the draft is a value pick?

I have Butter with the late round steal...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #952
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I give vtbub the best value pick in that category. Bucc and Maple Leafs made nice picks, too.
I think Satisfaction was a steal in round two.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #953
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Epic
Freebird is the hands-down winner here.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #954
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Classic

1.1 Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin - Subby
1.3 Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan - NoMyths
1.5 Yesterday - The Beatles - vtbub
1.10 Hotel California - Eagles - Oilers9911
2.2 Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones - Buccaneer
3.2 Foxy Lady- Jimi Hendrix - Lathum
8.3 A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke - lordscarlet
8.6 What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong - Maple Leafs
9.4 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John - Butter_of_69
10.5 ntdeacon

Looking back on the three picks I sent in to ML, Stairway was on there and I also had Hey Jude. But seeing later that I had 1.9, those two had gone off but I was very, very glad that it did so Crappy could get Satisfaction in there for me.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #955
Subby
lolzcat

Arena - Final

1.7 - Welcome to the Jungle, Guns 'N Roses - Maple Leafs
3.4 - Rock and Roll (Part Two), Gary Glitter - Butter_of_69
3.9 - Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen - Buccaneer
4.8 - Where the Streets Have No Name, U2 - NoMyths
5.8 - You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC - lordscarlet
6.1 - Rock and Roll All Night, Kiss - Oilers9911
6.4 - Enter Sandman, Metallica - vtbub
6.5 - Do You Feel Like We Do, Peter Frampton - ntndeacon
6.9 - Iron Man, Black Sabbath - Lathum
8.10 - Mama I'm Coming Home, Ozzy Osbourne - Subby
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 02-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #956
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I think Satisfaction was a steal in round two.

Esp. considering that it was voted the #1 song on some lists (as well as Stairway).
Old 02-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #957
st.cronin
General Manager

Butter's pick in the Arena category stands out as being really, really bad.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #958
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Why me? I'm pretty sure Nena was eaten by wolves immediately after recording 99 Luftballoons.

Not you, sorry, whoever did Lee Greenwood - NoMyths was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #959
Subby
lolzcat

Trendsetter - Final

1.2 - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana - Lathum
1.6 - Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys - ntndeacon
2.3 - Rapper's Delight, The Sugarhill Gang - lordscarlet
2.4 - Heartbreak Hotel, Elvis Presley - Maple Leafs
2.6 - Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley and The Comets - vtbub
2.8 - Respect, Aretha Franklin - NoMyths
6.2 - Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry - Buccaneer
6.10 - Like a Virgin, Madonna - Subby
8.1 - Blitzkrieg Bop, The Ramones - Oilers9911
8.7 - Heart of Glass, Blondie - Butter_of_69

Last edited by Subby : 02-24-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #960
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Freebird is the hands-down winner here.

I think Bohemian is more popular among the general population.

I'm thinking 2112 should be up there but that's what I get for paying strict attention to the category.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #961
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Butter's pick in the Arena category stands out as being really, really bad.
I think it was a reach for sure. Had it gone in round 7 or later I would have called it inspired.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #962
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Arena
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #963
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I think it was a reach for sure. Had it gone in round 7 or later I would have called it inspired.

Let's call all bad or miscategorized picks "reach" instead of "very, very bad", k?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #964
st.cronin
General Manager

In hindsight, Lathum's trendsetter pick looks pretty decent. You've got to give that category to lordscarlet, though.

knives out
Old 02-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #965
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
In hindsight, Lathum's trendsetter pick looks pretty decent. You've got to give that category to lordscarlet, though.

Would that have won One-Hit category?

Would the hip hop/rap folks consider Rapper's Delight a trendsetter?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #966
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Would that have won One-Hit category?

Would the hip hop/rap folks consider Rapper's Delight a trendsetter?

From - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music#History

Quote:
As hip hop became popular, performers began speaking while the music played, and became known as MCs or emcees. In 1979, the first commercially issued hip hop recordings were released: "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang which became a Top 40 hit on the U.S. Billboard pop singles chart. 'Rapper' in reference to music was actually coined by this song.

It literally named the genre.

This pick is, by FAR, the most direct trend setter. There's really no argument about it imo.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 02-24-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #967
Buccaneer
Head Coach

1979??? I swore that it was later in the 80s. Well, no wonder.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #968
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes. The Trendsetter category ended up being a bit a trainwreck. Not as bad as Crossover, but if I had it to do over again I would have thought it out better. Generally if the category is poorly defined, knocking it out of the park early is the best way to go.

(Still, I have to ask -- how long did the trend that Nirvana set last? Five years? You're telling me Heartbreak Hotel or Rock Around the Clock didn't have a bigger impact? Really? Why am I writing in all question marks? When did I turn into Bill Simmons?)
Old 02-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #969
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This pick is, by FAR, the most direct trend setter. There's really no argument about it imo.
As a big time rap fan, the only argument against Rapper's Delight would be that you could argue that it didn't actually set any trends, it was just the first rap song to be mainstream hit. If it had never existed, then another song would have been first -- it didn't actually influence the genre, because the genre had already existed for years. White America just didn't know about it. You could even argue that some of the NWA stuff that came later did more to actually change the direction of rap music.

Still, I think the pick works, especially in comparison to some of the others.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #970
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yes. The Trendsetter category ended up being a bit a trainwreck. Not as bad as Crossover, but if I had it to do over again I would have thought it out better. Generally if the category is poorly defined, knocking it out of the park early is the best way to go.

(Still, I have to ask -- how long did the trend that Nirvana set last? Five years? You're telling me Heartbreak Hotel or Rock Around the Clock didn't have a bigger impact? Really? Why am I writing in all question marks? When did I turn into Bill Simmons?)

I think some view Nirvana as a more direct trend setter than those. I don't know that I agree, but I think that's the issue.

fwiw, I thought crossover was a trainwreck of a definition.. either it had a poor definition or a poor name.. seems crossover just means that an artist performed in a style they don't normally do or got success in the mainstream in a genre that does not normally where your definition seemed to point to some sort of joint effort.

I thought the epic definition could have been better, but everyone seemed to pick more to what me is an epic than what the definition was.

I thought the trendsetter definition was fine, but that people abused it a little.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #971
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
As a big time rap fan, the only argument against Rapper's Delight would be that you could argue that it didn't actually set any trends, it was just the first rap song to be mainstream hit. If it had never existed, then another song would have been first -- it didn't actually influence the genre, because the genre had already existed for years. White America just didn't know about it. You could even argue that some of the NWA stuff that came later did more to actually change the direction of rap music.

Still, I think the pick works, especially in comparison to some of the others.

Yeah, I think that logic could be used for every trendsetter, ever essentially.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #972
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
fwiw, I thought crossover was a trainwreck of a definition.. either it had a poor definition or a poor name.. seems crossover just means that an artist performed in a style they don't normally do or got success in the mainstream in a genre that does not normally where your definition seemed to point to some sort of joint effort.
Agreed.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #973
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Agreed.
Hope you didn't take offense to that btw... just thinking for the next time..

I think this draft should definitely be done again, even next week if you wanted, or a long time from now - but with 10 new categories.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #974
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I think that logic could be used for every trendsetter, ever essentially.
Well, yes and no. Say what you want about Nirvana, but when they came along suddenly every garage band in North America was copying them. You had bands coming out with albums that sounded completely different than their stuff had in the past. Rapper's Delight didn't really change much of what people were already doing, although it did make it possible for those people to get airtime.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #975
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Well, yes and no. Say what you want about Nirvana, but when they came along suddenly every garage band in North America was copying them. You had bands coming out with albums that sounded completely different than their stuff had in the past. Rapper's Delight didn't really change much of what people were already doing, although it did make it possible for those people to get airtime.

I don't think you understand the grunge movement if this is what you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

Quote:
A seminal release in the development of grunge was 1986's Deep Six compilation, released by C/Z Records (later reissued on A&M). The record featured multiple tracks by six bands: Soundgarden, the Melvins, Green River, Malfunkshun, Skin Yard, and the U-Men; for many of them it was their first appearance on record. The artists had "a mostly heavy, aggressive sound that melded the slower tempos of heavy metal with the intensity of hardcore".[7] As Sub Pop producer Jack Endino recalled, "People just said, 'Well, what kind of music is this? This isn't metal, it's not punk, What is it? '[. . .] People went 'Eureka! These bands all have something in common.'" Later in '86 Bruce Pavitt released the Sub Pop 100 compilation as well as Green River's Dry As A Bone EP as part of his new label Sub Pop. An early Sub Pop catalog described the Green River EP as "ultra-loose GRUNGE that destroyed the morals of a generation".[11]

A good 5 years before Nevermind was released grunge was being recorded.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #976
wade moore
lolzcat

Hell, this says Mudhoney was commercially successful before Nirvana, just not as successful..

Quote:
In November 1988, Sub Pop took their initial step towards popularizing grunge with the Sub Pop Singles Club, a subscription service that would allow subscribers to receive singles by local bands on a monthly basis by mail. This increased grunge's following locally, and allowed Sub Pop to become a powerful company in the local scene. According to Sub Pop founders Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman, grunge's popularity began to flourish after journalist Everett True from the British magazine Melody Maker was asked by them to write an article on the local music scene. This helped to make grunge known outside of the local area during the late 1980s, giving the genre its first major spurt of popularity.[12] Mudhoney is often credited as having been the biggest commercial success for grunge during this time, and was the most successful grunge band until the end of the 80s.[13] Still, grunge would not become a huge national phenomenon in the US until the 1990s.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #977
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh sure it was. Nirvana didn't invent anything by a long shot.

But when they came along, it seemed like suddenly everyone started doing grunge. You couldn't get away from it. Labels were racing to sign anyone with long hair who mumbled. And that was Nirvana's influence, make no mistake.

Grunge had been around for a while, but Nirvana was the tipping point.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 02-24-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #978
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Classic

10.5 ntdeacon

Not surprising that 4 1st rounders were spent here. Eight solid picks, though I'm surprised the Beatles fell to 5. Edge to Subby.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #979
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Epic

1.4 - Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen - Butter_of_69
2.1 - American Pie, Don McLean - Oilers9911
2.5 - Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd - ntdeacon
2.9 - Baba O'Riley, The Who - Lathum
3.1 - Free Bird, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Subby
3.3 - The End, The Doors - NoMyths
3.7 - Layla, Derek and the Dominoes - vtbub
5.5 - Thriller, Michael Jackson - Maple Leafs
6.3 - Space Oddity, David Bowie - lordscarlet
9.9 - 2112, Rush - Buccaneer

Solid, solid bunch. Maybe Light My Fire for the Doors. Thriller a steal. I like American Pie

Old 02-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #980
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub View Post
Eight solid picks
Quote:
List of nine picks
Spit it out, who whiffed?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #981
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Spit it out, who whiffed?

Hendrix.

Aren't we still waiting for deacons?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #982
st.cronin
General Manager

I actually think that Hendrix pick isn't bad in itself. It was just bad strategerizing.

knives out
Old 02-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #983
vtbub
College Starter

I think Hendrix would have been a dead lock sinch for Epic, Cover or Arena. He certainly belongs, just not there.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #984
vtbub
College Starter

Arena Rocker

1.7- Welcome To The Jungle-G'N'R ML
3.4- Rock and Roll Part 2- Garry Glitter Butter
3.9- Born In The USA- Springsteen Bucc
4.8- Where the Streets Have No Name- U2 NoMyths
5.8- You Shook Me All Night Long- AC/DC lordscarlet
6.1- Rock and Roll All Night- Kiss Oilers9911
6.4- Enter Sandman- Metallica vtbub
6.5- Do You Feel Like I Do- Peter Frampton ntndeacon
6.9- Iron Man- Black Sabbith Lathum
8.10- Mama, I'm Coming Home- Ozzy Subby

Old 02-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #985
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:

Of course, but a trendsetter is not the inventor of something, it's the popularizer of that thing. In fashion, it's not the designer, it's the celebrity who wears it.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #986
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'll be able to make my next pick when it comes up
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #987
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

who is up BTW
Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #988
vtbub
College Starter

deacon, i think

Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #989
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub View Post
Arena Rocker

1.7- Welcome To The Jungle-G'N'R ML
3.4- Rock and Roll Part 2- Garry Glitter Butter
3.9- Born In The USA- Springsteen Bucc
4.8- Where the Streets Have No Name- U2 NoMyths
5.8- You Shook Me All Night Long- AC/DC lordscarlet
6.1- Rock and Roll All Night- Kiss Oilers9911
6.4- Enter Sandman- Metallica vtbub
6.5- Do You Feel Like I Do- Peter Frampton ntndeacon
6.9- Iron Man- Black Sabbith Lathum
8.10- Mama, I'm Coming Home- Ozzy Subby

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=955

Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #990
Subby
lolzcat

Love Song - Final

4.2 - Imagine, John Lennon - Buccaneer
4.9 - At Last, Etta James - Lathum
5.1 - Lola, The Kinks - Subby
5.7 - My Love, Paul McCartney - vtbub
5.10 - My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion
6.6 - Unchained Melody, Righteous Brothers - Maple Leafs
6.7 - My Girl, The Temptations - Butter_of_69
7.3 - Can't Get Enough of Your Love Babe, Barry White - NoMyths
7.6 - Baby Love, The Supremes - ntndeacon
7.8 - Unforgettable, Natalie Cole with Nat King Cole - lordscarlet

Last edited by Subby : 02-24-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #991
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

looking at the love song list I love my pick assuming people recognize the song.

lola kicks ass also
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #992
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

There were 4 songs I considered for this last spot. All of them would be a wonderful addition to this list. However the song I have chosen is now synonomous with that performer. Who else can I pick but Ol' Blues Eyes?

Classic - 10.5-My Way--Frank Sinatra
Epic - 2.5 - Another Brick in the Wall — Pink Floyd
Arena - 6.5-Do You Feel Like We Do--Peter Frampton
Trendsetter - 1.6 - Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
Love Song -7.6 - Baby Love--The Supremes
One-Hit Wonder - 9.6--Tainted Love--Soft Cell
Party - 8.5-Shout--The Isley Brothers
Crossover - 4.5-I Can't Stop Loving You--Ray Charles
Cover - 5.6 - Proud Mary--Ike and Tina Turner
Anti-Establishment -3.6-London Calling--The Clash
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #993
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

nice pick!!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #994
Subby
lolzcat

Party Song

4.3 - (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party), Beastie Boys - lordscarlet
4.6 - 1999, Prince - Maple Leafs
5.4 - Celebration, Kool and the Gang - Butter_of_69
7.1 - O.P.P., Naughty by Nature - Subby
7.2 - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer, George Thorogood - Lathum
7.10 - Old Time Rock n Roll, Bob Seger - Oilers9911
8.2 - Girls,Girls,Girls, Motley Crue - Buccaneer
8.4 - Louie Louie, The Kingsman - vtbub
8.5 - Shout, The Isley Brothers - ntndeacon
10.8 - NoMyths

Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #995
Subby
lolzcat

Classic - Final

10.5 My Way, Frank Sinatra - ntndeacon

Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #996
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Classic - Final

10.5 My Way, Frank Sinatra - ntndeacon

Fixed it.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #997
Subby
lolzcat

Cover - Final

4.4 - I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston - vtbub
4.10 - You Really Got Me, Van Halen - Subby
5.6 - Proud Mary, Ike and Tina Turner - ntndeacon
7.4 - Killing Me Softly, The Fugees - Butter_of_69
7.5 - Burning Down the House, Tom Jones & The Cardigans - Maple Leafs
7.9 - I Love Rock 'N Roll, Joan Jett - Buccaneer
8.9 - A Little Help From My Friends, Joe Cocker - Lathum
9.3 - Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor - NoMyths
10.1 - Sweet Jane, Cowboy Junkies - Oilers9911
10.3 - I Shot the Sheriff, Eric Clapton - lordscarlet

Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #998
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
There were 4 songs I considered for this last spot. All of them would be a wonderful addition to this list. However the song I have chosen is now synonomous with that performer. Who else can I pick but Ol' Blues Eyes?

Classic - 10.5-My Way--Frank Sinatra
Epic - 2.5 - Another Brick in the Wall — Pink Floyd
Arena - 6.5-Do You Feel Like We Do--Peter Frampton
Trendsetter - 1.6 - Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
Love Song -7.6 - Baby Love--The Supremes
One-Hit Wonder - 9.6--Tainted Love--Soft Cell
Party - 8.5-Shout--The Isley Brothers
Crossover - 4.5-I Can't Stop Loving You--Ray Charles
Cover - 5.6 - Proud Mary--Ike and Tina Turner
Anti-Establishment -3.6-London Calling--The Clash

I seriously considered Sinatra but I didn't have a spot to put him after my first 5 picks.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #999
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
looking at the love song list I love my pick assuming people recognize the song.

I'm going on song recognition.

By the way, never heard of your song or artist for that matter.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #1000
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I'm going on song recognition.

By the way, never heard of your song or artist for that matter.

ever been to a wedding?