Celtics vs Thunder 2 4.26%
Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #951
whomario
Pro Starter

Mavericks with a tough loss to the Spurs, a win would have put them just 2 games out of 8th with no telling what happens with the Lakers (will Kobe miss games ? How many ? How does that affect them ?).

With the win, the Spurs have now 14 consecutive 50 win seasons. And really, it´s 16 seasons since the one before the first was 37-13 in a lockout-year (comes out to a 60 win season) and before that they were 56-26.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #952
whomario
Pro Starter

Really don´t condone the behaviour, but the resulting GIF is absolutely golden:

LARRY SANDERS
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #953
korme
Go Reds

Best GIF ever.

I've been on Larry Sanders jock all year, so all Sanders publicity is good publicity
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #954
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What's the story behind the Larry Sanders GIF?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #955
korme
Go Reds

Post-ejection, thumbs ups all 3 refs.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #956
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't know what it is about Jeff Green when KG sits. 31/7 with 5 blocks last time KG sat, and now 22 points in the first 15 minutes vs. the Heat. Celtics up early on the Heat, but shooting unsustainably well on long jumpers.

EDIT - LeBron just tried to one-up the DeAndre Jordan dunk over Jason Terry, although the real highlight of that sequence should be the Bradley chase-down block.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-18-2013 at 08:04 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #957
bhlloy
Coordinator

Even for NBA refs, blowing a game by reviewing a call that is non-reviewable is pretty special
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #958
korme
Go Reds

That was a hell of a Heat/Celtics game. Amazed the Heat came back, down 13 with 8 to play.

Which call are you referring to, bhlloy?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #959
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Even for NBA refs, blowing a game by reviewing a call that is non-reviewable is pretty special
Chicago/Denver ending? Refs also gave Boston a chance to tie/win in the last 6 seconds by blowing an out of bounds call. If they're not going to get them right, why spend 4 minutes reviewing these plays?

Feel pretty good about the Celtics matching up with the Heat in a playoff series - they're the heavy favorite, but we'll have a puncher's chance. No KG tonight and they still needed 37/7/12 from LBJ to get the win.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #960
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That was a hell of a Heat/Celtics game. Amazed the Heat came back, down 13 with 8 to play.

Which call are you referring to, bhlloy?

Chicago/Denver, Noah scores potential game winning points that get put on the board, refs review it and call basket interference. Only problem is that's not a reviewable call in that situation
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #961
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chicago/Denver, Noah scores potential game winning points that get put on the board, refs review it and call basket interference. Only problem is that's not a reviewable call in that situation

What's worse is that they wouldn't review a blatant basket interference by Kuofos that happened 60 seconds earlier. Refs told Thibodeau at the timeout that the play wasn't reviewable because it was a non-call. Apparently that changed a minute later.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #962
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Heat probably won't lose a game the rest of this regular season.

Last edited by stevew : 03-19-2013 at 02:37 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #963
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Miami is @Chicago on the 27th and @San Antonio on the 30th (Parker is likely back at that point). Those two look like the only possible losses unless Spoelstra decides to sit Lebron, Wade and Bosh at some point.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #964
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Chicago sort of sucks now though.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #965
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I feel good, even though I have some problems with how Doc played the last few minutes (seriously, Green is having the game of his life and you sit him for a lot of the fourth quarter?)

I feel better that we could push Miami to six or seven in the playoffs
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #966
korme
Go Reds

This article is fascinating: The Toronto Raptors, SportVU cameras, and the NBA's analytical revolution - Grantland
Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #967
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Haha... I assume you're being sarcastic and going for the jinx? They've already had multiple close games during the streak vs. weak teams - Saramento took them to OT at home, Orlando!!! should have beaten them and choked, etc. All it takes is one off night against an average or bad team where the other team hits a couple tough shots in the last 2 minutes. (Plus if/when they start resting LeBron they go from elite to marginally above-average imo.)
Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #968
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There schedule is really easy and I think they have something to prove. I like and respect this version of LeBron. I wish he would have been pissed off and trying to make a point when he was in Cleveland. Run the table and make us love him.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #969
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There schedule is really easy and I think they have something to prove. I like and respect this version of LeBron. I wish he would have been pissed off and trying to make a point when he was in Cleveland. Run the table and make us love him.

You have to blame the people making decisions in Cleveland for them not winning more. They signed Larry Hughes to that horrible contract. The year they won 66 games the big 3 was him, Ben Wallace and Wally Szczerbiak. Not the exact same salary but I think all three made 13+ million.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #970
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Agreed. The SportVU stuff also pointed out how hard it must be for someone to design an accurate 2D engine. First you have to figure out the optimal movements and spacing, then you have the most common versions, then finally you have to take player traits and merge them into that system.

I always compare basketball spacing and movements to lacrosse (add a 6th person, some space behind the basket/net, and take away the 3-point line), and a lot of those little things are the same thing we struggle to convey to players. Defensively how to flash to the middle on a drive with no intention of contesting it, but hopefully deterring the ball-handler by merely being in his field of vision; offensively making "dummy" cuts or actually moving a couple steps into a worse scoring position because it draws a defender's attention and opens up a space or lane for a teammate; outside of situations where a teammate is in trouble and you need to check back to the ball always setting up your attack before the ball reaches you, so by the time you catch it and the defender gives you his full attention you already have a half-step or more on him so you can get to the edge and either draw that slide/rotation or take it yourself if that's slow/out of position. And while I'd obviously love the $100,000+ to set up and utilize a system like that, the biggest problem is still explaining it concisely and relatably to players (and at times getting older coaches on board.)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #971
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, first of all the technology is incrtdible, to be able to analyze five moving pieces at once and establish the best spots at all times.

Also great that Lebron is ahead of the computerized ghosts on defense, heh.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #972
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Starting to turn on Derrick Rose. Feels like his team just doesn't want to tarnish his image by having him come back and get bounced early from the playoffs.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #973
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wayne Ellington, Shaun Livingston and Tyler Zeller and the cleveland cavs blew a 21 point halftime lead and the Heat streak is now at 24.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #974
bhlloy
Coordinator

No wonder, if they were only playing with 3 guys for the second half
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #975
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Starting to turn on Derrick Rose. Feels like his team just doesn't want to tarnish his image by having him come back and get bounced early from the playoffs.

I kind of wonder if he's just a low character individual. All the bs with him lying to get into college basically, and this whole rehab thing.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #976
Groundhog
Coordinator

I nearly called it on facebook at half-time:

Now, I fully realise that the Heat will come back and end up winning by 5, but still... LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #977
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I nearly called it on facebook at half-time:

Now, I fully realise that the Heat will come back and end up winning by 5, but still... LOL

That's great. At no point is this team out of any game, it's quite amazing... just keep thinking there's no way they can come back from such a deficit again and yet they do. Wild.

On another topic, Dirk Nowitski has an outstanding beard going on right now.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #978
Groundhog
Coordinator

I missed the first half but starting watching after posting that. About 4 mins into the 3rd Q the Heat put together 3 scores in a row of turnovers and missed shots. It was 100% obvious that the Heat, despite still being down by more than 20, were going to win the game at that stage.

As the commentators were saying though prior to the Heat run, it may not be good for the Heat long-term to keep switching it on late and winning like that. Not a great habit to form.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #979
nol
Banned

Quote:
I missed the first half but starting watching after posting that. About 4 mins into the 3rd Q the Heat put together 3 scores in a row of turnovers and missed shots. It was 100% obvious that the Heat, despite still being down by more than 20, were going to win the game at that stage.

As the commentators were saying though prior to the Heat run, it may not be good for the Heat long-term to keep switching it on late and winning like that. Not a great habit to form.

Here's what Ric Bucher had to say about it: Ric Bucher's post on San Antonio Spurs | Latest updates on Sulia

I agree, for the most part. The inevitability is palpable for . I was watching the 4th quarter of their game against the 76ers and one of their announcers could hardly conceal his lack of concern as he said "Well, they have to outscore them by 2 points in the last 3 1/2 minutes." It's cliche at this point, but it's hard to see a team being able to put enough points against a focused Miami defense four times in seven games.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #980
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Royce White leaving his d-league team after playing like garbage. I'm thinking this guy is just a colossal douche, any kind of personality disorder be damned. He had to make the decision to make himself eligible for the NBA draft, and now he's seemingly wasted everyone's time.

Last edited by stevew : 03-21-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #981
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Royce White leaving his d-league team after playing like garbage.

This reminds of those old "transaction logs" that used to appear in the newspaper:

TRANSACTIONS:

(NBDL) Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Agreed to terms with Chris Johnson, Forward. Announced that Royce White, Forward, will be leaving the team after playing like garbage.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #982
stevew
Hall Of Famer

good work.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #983
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Royce White leaving his d-league team after playing like garbage. I'm thinking this guy is just a colossal douche, any kind of personality disorder be damned. He had to make the decision to make himself eligible for the NBA draft, and now he's seemingly wasted everyone's time.

That's basically what happened to him at Minnesota, so it's not a huge surprise.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #984
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Something I put together from my visit to the NBA Rising Stars game as part of the All Star stuff in Houston this year.

Review of 2013 NBA Jam Session and Rising Stars Challenge - The Dream Shake

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #985
bhlloy
Coordinator

I still feel bad for White and I don't mean to make light of his situation or claim any kind of understanding... but what job in the world would be remotely as understanding as the Rockets have been so far this year?

I've been mostly on his side up until now but what was he expecting, that the Rockets would pay him millions and he could just play when he felt like it? Tough situation all around.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #986
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I still feel bad for White and I don't mean to make light of his situation or claim any kind of understanding... but what job in the world would be remotely as understanding as the Rockets have been so far this year?

I've been mostly on his side up until now but what was he expecting, that the Rockets would pay him millions and he could just play when he felt like it? Tough situation all around.

Back when it was a feel-good story I felt bad for White, but when he started playing the victim it became hard to side with the guy. Rookies get sent to the D-League - that's what it's for. Happens to this guy and he takes it personal and plays the discrimination card.

I mean seriously, I know guys with worse issues than Royce White and they handle themselves far better than this guy has in his brief career. His attitude is as much, if not more, of a problem than his illness.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #987
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe shit like this happens in America-

Quote:
Shabazz Muhammad was born in Los Angeles on Nov. 13, 1993 according to the UCLA media guide, but a copy of his birth certificate indicates he was born exactly one year earlier in 1992.

Asked about the discrepancy, Holmes insisted his son was 19 and born in Nevada. "It must be a mistake," he said.

Several minutes later, he changed his account, saying that his son is, in fact, 20 and was born in Long Beach.

"Bazz is going to blow up in the NBA lets team up and blow this thing up!!!" Holmes wrote in a text message. "I'm going to need a publicist anyway why shouldn't it be you. We can do some big things together."
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #988
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why? Most of the time it comes out entering college, but people didn't push the issue. His dad wanted to maximize his potential for the NBA so he lied about his age. No fake birth certificate or ignorance.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #989
whomario
Pro Starter

While everbody is watching the Heats streak, the Nuggets have quietly won 15 games in a row themselves

Marc Gasol with an abdominal tear

Stephen Curry is averaging 26 points since the break on 49/48/90 (averages 4 makes from deep)
Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #990
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Why? Most of the time it comes out entering college, but people didn't push the issue. His dad wanted to maximize his potential for the NBA so he lied about his age. No fake birth certificate or ignorance.

I have a question regarding this: When you enroll in school over here (or in any comparable official funtion) you have to present an ID from which your data (dob, place of residence, etc) is taken. Is that not so in the US ?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #991
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I have a question regarding this: When you enroll in school over here (or in any comparable official funtion) you have to present an ID from which your data (dob, place of residence, etc) is taken. Is that not so in the US ?

I have never been given a scholarship, so not sure if there is anything additional to be provided there, but when it comes to basically going to a new university, there is a packet of paperwork you have to do, and I am sure they ask you to provide some form of ID. In the States, though, it's commonly accepted to use your driver's license as an ID, and there is all sorts of ways to fudge the numbers on your license. Especially since Shabazz's father almost certainly was the one who was there with Shabazz when he got his license.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #992
stevew
Hall Of Famer

UCLA probably wanted their own version of OJ Mayo to keep up with the joneses
Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #993
nol
Banned

Obligatory Heat winning streak post. John Wall also had a monster game with 47 points against Memphis. No way he doesn't end up getting the max.

John Wall Full Highlights 2013.03.25 vs Grizzlies - 47 Pts, Career-High, 8 Assists, 7 Rebs. - YouTube

Last edited by nol : 03-26-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #994
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bullets probably would be a playoff team if Wall was healthy from day 1. Haven't they been a .500 team since roughly the start of this year.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #995
LloydLungs
College Prospect

The Hornets/Pelicans just obliterated the 15-game winning streak of a damn good team while starting and using Brian Roberts and Darius Miller for a combined 66 minutes.

We play the Heat Friday. We are coming for your winning streak, Miami. WE HAVE BRIAN ROBERTS AND WE ARE NOT AFRAID TO USE HIM. A LOT.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #996
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The Bullets probably would be a playoff team if Wall was healthy from day 1. Haven't they been a .500 team since roughly the start of this year.

20-16 with Wall.

He'll still have a hard time getting a max deal since Curry, Holliday, and Lawson all ended up settling for 4 year deals in the $11 mil range.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #997
Groundhog
Coordinator

If I were a GM, I wouldn't max Wall. Today was probably his best game ever, but I'm still not convinced he can shoot reliably from 3, or make good decisions with the ball on a regular basis. I would take Curry, Holliday (not at max) and Lawson over him in a heartbeat. I would, however, take him over Cousins in that draft class, where as I felt the opposite prior to the season.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #998
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
The Hornets/Pelicans just obliterated the 15-game winning streak of a damn good team while starting and using Brian Roberts and Darius Miller for a combined 66 minutes.

We play the Heat Friday. We are coming for your winning streak, Miami. WE HAVE BRIAN ROBERTS AND WE ARE NOT AFRAID TO USE HIM. A LOT.

If not for the Pelicans having to play the woeful Rivers minutes based on his draft position, Roberts would have had a bigger chance to shine. Dude has played well all season in limited minutes. Looks like a steal for New Orleans.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #999
nol
Banned

Quote:
If I were a GM, I wouldn't max Wall. Today was probably his best game ever, but I'm still not convinced he can shoot reliably from 3, or make good decisions with the ball on a regular basis. I would take Curry, Holliday (not at max) and Lawson over him in a heartbeat. I would, however, take him over Cousins in that draft class, where as I felt the opposite prior to the season.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, the Wizards shouldn't, but they probably will
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #1000
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The hardest decision in basketball is what to do with a guy that isn't quite max value but is irreplaceable. If the Wiz lose Wall they'll be an early lottery team for the next few games. Just look at how bad they were before he came back from his injury.