Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #951
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

That's the problem with Ray. I think you'll have to give him 3-4 years. Someone will overpay for a short run (Celtics).
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #953
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Stop pretending like Bosh had no support. That Toronto team wasn't horrible. It has some good players.

Unless you're still using numbers that tell us David Lee is better than Dwyane Wade.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #954
Groundhog
Coordinator

So Bosh is a top 5 player now? Sheesh.

Good signing by the Bulls with Boozer. Even without another signing they are in pretty good shape, but Reddick looks like the perfect fit for them at SG. He's not Wade, but he doesn't need to be IMO, as Rose+Boozer is a good combo, and Deng is a fairly good (if overpaid) 3rd option.

I hope LeBron doesn't end up with the Knicks just because I don't want them to get rewarded for all those years of tanking. The Nets or Bulls would be far easier to take.

Daniel Orton is now 1-14 from the floor in his first 3 summer league games. lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #955
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Whichever team gets Nazr Mohammed is my early pick for NBA champ.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #956
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Daniel Orton is now 1-14 from the floor in his first 3 summer league games. lol.

From a Magic blog:

Quote:
Orton played 17 ineffective minutes. He did not attempt a field goal or grab a rebound. He finished with four points, an assist, a steal, a block, four fouls, and three turnovers.

I still don't get the Orton pick when we have Howard and Gortat. At least Duhon was a solid pickup from what I've been reading.

Last edited by Big Fo : 07-07-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #957
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I still don't get the Orton pick when we have Howard and Gortat. At least Duhon was a solid pickup from what I've been reading.

Me neither. I understand picking a guy for the future, but Howard and Gortat are both young and signed long term anyway. Best case is Orton shows signs in a season or two's time, and is snapped up by some other team as a FA.

Also, KD makes it so hard to hate the Thunder after the Seattle debacle. Seriously, the way he handles himself on and off the court and interacts with his fans helps make him one of my, if not THE, favourite players today.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #958
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Orton sucks.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #959
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ray Ray staying in Boston for 2 more years, 10mil per. Big money, but obviously the Celtics think they can win another title with this group to be throwing that kind of money at him.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #960
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sad to see Boozer leave the Jazz (who I root for, for some reason).

I wonder what their team will look like next year? Will Kirilinko fill the void? Is Millsap ready/able to be more than a complimentary player? Ditto C.J. Miles -- can he take his game to the next level (or has he reached his potential as a 22/23-year old)? Can Hayword contribute as a rookie (unlikely, in my opinion -- I am not too crazy about the pick)?

They would be a fun team to take over in a dynasty, but they are kind of stuck spinning their wheels with one of the best coaches and PGs in the league. They are too good to get into the lottery (well, without some help from the Knicks again) and not good enough to advance in the playoffs.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #961
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola...

Even though I hate to see him go, I am kind of glad that they didn't give Boozer the max. I think the Bulls will regret the last 2-3 years of that deal.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #962
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Now I'm hearing rumors of Jermaine O'Neal to the Celtics.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #963
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Ray Ray staying in Boston for 2 more years, 10mil per. Big money, but obviously the Celtics think they can win another title with this group to be throwing that kind of money at him.

yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #964
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Now I'm hearing rumors of Jermaine O'Neal to the Celtics.

we need a body to replace perk for a lil while
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #965
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Bosh is a top 10 player and has been by every meaningful measurement for 5 years.

I can only assume you are related to Chris Bosh if you really believe this. Can he become Top 10? Sure. He is clearly not there right now unless you look at raw numbers without any context.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #966
boberot
High School Varsity

Good God.

The LeBron show follows a 3-hour SportsCenter!?

And is then followed by two hours of SportsCenter?

That's absurd.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #967
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Good God.

The LeBron show follows a 3-hour SportsCenter!?

And is then followed by two hours of SportsCenter?

That's absurd.

I so dislike him.

I'm pretty much rooting for a CEI.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #968
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

ESPN is just as pathetic in this scenario. It's funny watching some of their legitimate reporters try and sidestep criticism of this infomercial.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #969
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I so dislike him.

I'm pretty much rooting for a CEI.
I just don't know how his camp doesn't realize that they are destroying this guy's image. Everyone I've talked to thinks he's a colassal douche.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #970
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Heard today on one of the ESPN radio shows that he has abandoned his "camp" and basically only consulting with one close friend, supposedly even his agent doesnt know what he will announce tomorrow.

Less we all forget MJ toyed around with everyone in 95? (the Shaq to LA year) then signed a 1 year deal with the Bulls and repeated that (1 year contracts) every year until then end. I know the cap situation is different and all but how great could this be if we get the LeBronathon every year for the next decade. I genuinely liked the guy coming into this off season and I am not even sure if I can stand him now, this has been handled so horribly.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #971
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just don't know how his camp doesn't realize that they are destroying this guy's image. Everyone I've talked to thinks he's a colassal douche.

I'm still not understanding why everyone is so down on this idea. I don't follow basketball all that much, but from what I've seen since free agency began, he's kept his mouth shut and has been weighing all the options in regards to his decision. Now when he finally wants to announce it, he decides to utilize the media that has been hounding him from day one to benefit a worthy cause. In a way, I see it as James mocking the media.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #972
Atocep
Coordinator

If Wade didn't have Lebron taking all the media shots right now he'd be getting ripped for the documentary, the 2nd trip to Chicago for attention, and all the other attention whoring he's done this offseason.

People just enjoy not liking Lebron right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #973
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I'm still not understanding why everyone is so down on this idea. I don't follow basketball all that much, but from what I've seen since free agency began, he's kept his mouth shut and has been weighing all the options in regards to his decision. Now when he finally wants to announce it, he decides to utilize the media that has been hounding him from day one to benefit a worthy cause. In a way, I see it as James mocking the media.
Because it's all manufactured drama. This isn't about him making a decision and utilizing the media to get it out. This is about an attempt to sell his own brand at the expense of teams and fans. Of creating a media spectacle out of something that shouldn't be. Of stroking an ego of an insecure man.

You have Cleveland, his hometown that loves the guy. He is the franchise right now and they have done nothing but support the guy throughout his career. Yet for all that, he's going to go on national TV and dump them like a reality show contestant in front of the world. I can't think of any more cruel way to spurn a team and its fans.

It's an insult to the sport, fans, and teams. Holding the league hostage because you are such an insecure man. It's just another chapter in the book of a player who has never been about playing basketball, but about promoting himself. The most physically gifted athlete to ever step into the league who now can't even get a team out of the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Adrian Wojnarowski said it best. They turned him into Mr. July after he didn't have the stomach to be Mr. June.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #974
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If Wade didn't have Lebron taking all the media shots right now he'd be getting ripped for the documentary, the 2nd trip to Chicago for attention, and all the other attention whoring he's done this offseason.

People just enjoy not liking Lebron right now.
Well Wade isn't as big a star, and he's also much more media savvy. Most of us knew that the whole Chicago thing was a stunt to add drama to his upcoming documentary, but went along with it anyway.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #975
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2010 journalism.....

Make some shit up and claim sources. Then keep saying it and saying it, even though you have no idea if it's true. Never do anything else but defend your position 110%.

1. If true->You're a fucking visionary, you were right on the cusp from the start. You have infallable sources, and we need to check with you for everything
2. If false->Make sure you have a well thought out reason for your creation not to be true. Cite things like familial relationships, high school friends, AAU coaches, branding image.....whatever the fuck. Then proceed to make shit up the next time a major story might be unfolding.

Last edited by stevew : 07-07-2010 at 11:25 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #976
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Raja Bell is going to sign with the 76ers...he's attempting to finish where he started. "Sources"
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #977
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tod MacCollough has an offer for the low level exception in order to join the Denver Nuggets. "Sources"
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #978
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tod MacCollough has an offer for the low level exception in order to join the Denver Nuggets. "Sources"

Nah, I hear it's Washington and he'll end up a Pinball Wizard.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #979
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thats complete and utter horseshit. He's def going to Denver. I've heard that from numerous places. I have more twitter followers than you, I'm right dammit!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #980
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Thats complete and utter horseshit. He's def going to Denver. I've heard that from numerous places. I have more twitter followers than you, I'm right dammit!!!!!!!

But with that rumor my website can't run the "Pinball Wizard?" headline...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #981
stevew
Hall Of Famer

@mckerney likes to play loose with the truth.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #982
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wade and Bosh are going to both take a paycut in order to assure the Heat of being able to sign enough depth to put a championship team together. "sources"
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #983
mckerney
Coordinator

@stevew doesn't care about cutesy headlines. His site and sources will fail, why do you think ESPN.com is so successful?

Last edited by mckerney : 07-07-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #984
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Wade and Bosh are going to both take a paycut in order to assure the Heat of being able to sign enough depth to put a championship team together. "sources"

Bosh must have a percentage deal on the Predators gross.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #985
MikeVic
Head Coach

Why you gotta drag Todd through this!! He's the best basketball player to come out of Winnipeg.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #986
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Newsday reports Lebron to Miami.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #987
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Damn. I am not sure how I feel about this if this is true.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #988
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Why you gotta drag Todd through this!! He's the best basketball player to come out of Winnipeg.

I was only bringing up how awesome his post NBA pinball career is.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #989
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hahn is pretty reputable too. He broke the Greenwich story earlier.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #990
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

Damn. I am not sure how I feel about this if this is true.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #991
JS19
College Prospect

TMZ reports the Knicks. Not saying I trust them, but "Reuters says Investors sent shares of Madison Square Garden, owner of the National Basketball Association's New York Knicks, up $1.30, or 6.41 percent, to $21.57 on Wednesday". Not definitive, I know, but it seems to be the most factual "source" as of yet.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #992
kingfc22
Head Coach

Didn't see this posted but there are some quality lines:

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy is known for being candid, but he was especially so on Wednesday. In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Van Gundy opened up about the special ESPN will air on Thursday night as LeBron James announces where he'll play next season and other free-agent topics.
"It takes 15 seconds to say, 'I've decided to stay in Cleveland,' but we've got another 59 minutes and 45 seconds to, what? Promote LeBron James? As if we don't do that enough," said Van Gundy, who will not watch the special.
Van Gundy added that he wasn't surprised to hear that Chris Bosh will join Dwyane Wade in Miami.
He said Bosh has been following Wade around "for two weeks like a lapdog."
Van Gundy added that while free agency has gotten out of control, guys like Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant were still able to get contract extensions with little fanfare.
"It's gotten ridiculous I think. It's really I mean it's almost like a parody of itself this whole situation now," Van Gundy said.
"Look, the guy's a great player and wherever he goes, my bet would be Cleveland, that place will be excited. But an hour long special?"
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #993
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
TMZ reports the Knicks. Not saying I trust them, but "Reuters says Investors sent shares of Madison Square Garden, owner of the National Basketball Association's New York Knicks, up $1.30, or 6.41 percent, to $21.57 on Wednesday". Not definitive, I know, but it seems to be the most factual "source" as of yet.

You've really got to question why the hell he'd want an hour special if he's just pulling the status quo and staying in Cleveland. Even for his titanic ego that would seem a little ridiculous (unless he's going to pull a couple of free agents to join him out of his ass, and most of the good ones are now off the market) Who knows what is going on but there are little things starting to point to the Knicks. God I hope not...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #994
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Well congrats to Miami fans I guess. Do we have any on the board? I know there doesn't seem to be many down in Miami, but I'm sure that's about to change.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #995
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've liked the Heat since the mid 70s dammit!!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #996
Groundhog
Coordinator

In the past couple of hours I've read reports saying it has been a definite for both Knicks and Miami. I think it's safe to say that no one outside of LeBron and his closest associates have any idea where he is going.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #997
chadritt
High School Varsity

Man...I hope this winds up being some sort of shocking announcement. Something like Atlanta in a sign and trade for Joe Johnson or taking the minimum to go to Houston. It wont happen but that would be great
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #998
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Man...I hope this winds up being some sort of shocking announcement. Something like Atlanta in a sign and trade for Joe Johnson or taking the minimum to go to Houston. It wont happen but that would be great

Clippers!!!
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #999
larrymcg421
Head Coach

He's going to join Nowitzki and Nash in Phoenix.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #1000
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Clippers!!!

Honestly I would love that almost as much as Atlanta. Sadly, I think hes too smart to play for Sterling.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote