Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #951
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Argentina has so far scored more than twice as many goals against Serbia than Serbia allowed in all of their World Cup qualifying matches and the opening game. They had only allowed 2 goals in their previous 11 games that mattered.

Fixed.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #952
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Argentina has so far scored three times as many goals against Serbia than Serbia allowed in all of their World Cup qualifying matches and the opening game. They had only allowed 2 goals in their previous 11 games that mattered.

Fixed again.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #953
MikeVic
Head Coach

No injury time????
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #954
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was a pretty damn impressive offensive showing against the team many considered the best defense cxoming in. Maybe they got jealous of all the talk about Ecuador.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #955
moriarty
College Starter

Holy crap, I missed the game but Wow. I would have never expected that scoreline.

On a side note: Anyone else think this next game could be one of the best matchups of the group play? I'm really looking forward to it.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #956
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Good thing the Montenegro vote was taken before this debacle.. after that I fully expect Serbians and Montenegrans to go to war with each other
Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #957
saldana
Pro Starter

that was ugly...i shudder to think what the score could have been if argentina had actually tried for the last 25 minutes. i realize they scored 3 more times, but they dicked around in their own third ALOT.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #958
MIJB#19
Coordinator

6-0!? I missed the game, but not the result, almost choked when I heard it. That sounds like we need to beat Ivory Coast or else get trapped in a goal difference race that we never can win.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #959
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Good thing the Montenegro vote was taken before this debacle.. after that I fully expect Serbians and Montenegrans to go to war with each other
The Serbians will blame the keeper (Jevric, from Montenegro), Montenegro will blame the rest of the team (all from Serbia).
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #960
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
6-0!? I missed the game, but not the result, almost choked when I heard it. That sounds like we need to beat Ivory Coast or else get trapped in a goal difference race that we never can win.

Sounds like Ruud needs to find his goal scoring form in a hurry!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #961
Butter
Coordinator

No PK???? Does he have to hold him in a full nelson to get one called?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #962
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

Argentina went up early, and S&M had basically given up by the second half. After a sending off, it seemed Argentina basically just played keepaway to end it; but the subs came on and pushed the matter (Messi had an assist and a goal, Tevez had a goal) in the last ten minutes.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #963
3ric
College Starter

Arjen Robben need to quit that kind of play-acting. He's a tremendous player, but that shit is tarnishing his game.

Last edited by 3ric : 06-16-2006 at 11:37 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #964
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
I'm coming at this late, but ....

Lampard drained for overuse? What about Gerrard? He's played in more matches this year (including the grueling CL qualifiers Liverpool went through) and he went further in pretty much every cup competition. Yet Gerrard looks the fresher of the two to me. If Lampard misses on more sitter I'm going to reach through my TV and bop him.

I really wish they would let Gerrard play behind the strikers and put Lampard back or even bring in Carrick and let Lampard sit (which Sven will never do).

I don't see how replacing Lampard with Carrick is going to help, honestly. Gerrard in a flat 4-4-2 is not as effective as Lampard (well, at least not when Frank's packed his shooting boots) and making minor tweaks isn't going to change that. Again, if you're going to drop one of your stars to accomodate the rest you should try to make sure everyone winds up somewhere they've actually played well for club or country. Bringing in Carrick doesn't accomplish that, so why do it?

In the long run dropping Beckham's the best way to get everyone somewhere they're comfortable, but for this tournament I'd drop Owen (who's half fit at best) and go to a 4-3-3 much like you're suggesting. I don't think Lampard as a holding midfielder would work out so well, though. It's not enough to play deep; you also have to be a good tackler and good at reading the game. Lampard isn't, particularly, though he's better defensively than Carrick.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #965
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
Arjen Robben need to quit that kind of play-acting. He's a tremendous player, but that shit is tarnishing his game.

He was running at speed and his legs got clipped. No way he could have avoided falling over. You think he wouldn't rather take a shot in that position?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #966
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
He was running at speed and his legs got clipped. No way he could have avoided falling over. You think he wouldn't rather take a shot in that position?

ROFLMAO
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #967
Butter
Coordinator

Too bad for Ivory Coast that they got drawn in this group. They really look dangerous, but are probably going to be heading home after the first round.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #968
3ric
College Starter

Quote:

Whatever. He ran at three defenders knowing fully well that he wouldn't get through. Then the replay shows him clutching his head with a horrified look over the (non)decision. He wasn't trying to get in position to take a shot.

Last edited by 3ric : 06-16-2006 at 12:09 PM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #969
Critch
lolzcat

It might have been a bad season for Arsenal, but their fans have got to be feeling a bit happier after the showings of Van Persie and Rosicky so far.

And Robben is a diving ass
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #970
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ivory Coast has to be most undeserved team being knocked out after two games ever in the history of the World Cup.

I'm starting to think those were 11 Italian guys playing in orange! I mean, a normal team in orange plays more attacking style soccer and does choke a 2-0 lead against this kind of opposition. I'm far from impressed so far, I really have very little doubt we can survive much more of these kind of games.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #971
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
And Robben is a diving ass
True. Him and the 22 other players on both teams today. I'm not so proud of this Dutch team at all, really. This is not how we used to win games... Meanwhilst, cars are driving around in the streets, with the drivers honking the horns, because we reached the second round.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #972
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Whatever. He ran at three defenders knowing fully well that he wouldn't get through. Then the replay shows him clutching his head with a horrified look over the (non)decision. He wasn't trying to get in position to take a shot.

Granted. But deliberately trying to draw a foul isn't quite in the same category as out-and-out diving. And if he gets through the defenders that would've been a decent chance.

You know, looking back at what you originally said, I think I was arguing with the ref (there was contact, so it wasn't a booking) rather than with you. He might not have been doing anything against the laws of the game in that particular case, but I'd much rather he tried to create chances through skill instead of just convincing the ref he's been fouled. So saying he needs to cut the play-acting was a fair comment. Sorry.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:45 PM   #973
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Both one of the most entertaining games and one of the worst in terms of diving, dirty play and poor refereeing. You hate to see players dive to draw fouls, but when the Dutch are bear-hugging Drogba every play and the ref refuses to call anything what is he supposed to do? And giving him the yellow when he's trying to avoid the goalie? Doesn't matter now, but if IC tied that could have been a big controversy.

I really wish one of these three teams was in a different group, but at least it provided 2 quality matches. Based on history, even with a young team, Ivory Coast will struggle to qualify for the next WC. Too bad.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #974
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Both one of the most entertaining games and one of the worst in terms of diving, dirty play and poor refereeing. You hate to see players dive to draw fouls, but when the Dutch are bear-hugging Drogba every play and the ref refuses to call anything what is he supposed to do? And giving him the yellow when he's trying to avoid the goalie? Doesn't matter now, but if IC tied that could have been a big controversy.

I really wish one of these three teams was in a different group, but at least it provided 2 quality matches. Based on history, even with a young team, Ivory Coast will struggle to qualify for the next WC. Too bad.

I thought Droghba's yellow was right - he left his foot in, which always gets a card. But although he didn't play great today, I was impressed by the way generally he wanted to stay on his feet.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #975
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

I like Drogba and I thought it was a ridiculous call at first.. until I saw the replay. It really seemed like he made little attempt to pick up his foot and avoid contact.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #976
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Go Angola!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #977
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
I was impressed by the way generally [Drogba] wanted to stay on his feet.
Quote:
... when the Dutch are bear-hugging Drogba every play ...
There you had our strategy for today to avoid a penalty based on Drogba's diving skills. Hold onto him as much as you can so he won't hit the grass.

The Ivory Coast defense played it good too: Sandwich Robben and count on his reputation to get him a yellow card.

All kidding aside, the 'diving' has overall become more annoying than in the past. I guess it's part due to the refs unable to handle the faster game (not to their fault, I think) forcing players to go hit the ground when they are hit only enough to imbalance them. Everybody from the big teams do it, not just the guys with a reputation, depending on the bias (Drogba, Robben in the anti-Chelsea bias, Germans in general in the anit-German bias, Italians in general in the anti-catenaccio bias). It's sad, but I see no solution to stop it.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-16-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #978
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
There you had our strategy for today to avoid a penalty based on Drogba's diving skills. Hold onto him as much as you can so he won't hit the grass.

The Ivory Coast defense played it good too: Sandwich Robben and count on his reputation to get him a yellow card.

All kidding aside, the 'diving' has overall become more annoying than in the past. I guess it's a two fold problem, on one end the refs can't handle the faster game forcing players to go hit the ground when they are hit only enough to imbalance them. Everybody from the big teams do it, not just the guys with a reputation, depending on the bias (Drogba, Robben in the anti-Chelsea bias, Germans in general in the anit-German bias, Italians in general in the anti-catenaccio bias). It's sad, but I see no solution to stop it.

I don;t think anyone minds players jumping to avoid getting caught and therefore avoiding injury, but it is getting silly the amount of diving.

Soccer AM over here has a weekly 'Platoon' segment, where to the strings music from the film they highlight those reacting as if shot in the back like Charlie. Highly amusing, and if the players see it they must feel stupid.

Maybe something like this globally would do the trick - name and shame? Certainly Drogba has got the message, and van Nistelrooy is nowhere near as bad as he was, same for Cristiano Ronaldo, Pires, Savage...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #979
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Beautiful football.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #980
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
I'd much rather he tried to create chances through skill instead of just convincing the ref he's been fouled.

You know, I couldn't agree more with you on this statement. Robben is so damn good and talented I'm just getting angry with him when he's using his game for getting free kicks, bookings or penalties, instead of actually trying to beat the defense, every time. It seems like a waste, but I'm being too idealistic here.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #981
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
You know, I couldn't agree more with you on this statement. Robben is so damn good and talented I'm just getting angry with him when he's using his game for getting free kicks, bookings or penalties, instead of actually trying to beat the defense, every time. It seems like a waste, but I'm being too idealistic here.
He's just a bad actor, his acting stinks. It stinks so bad that if he actually gets fouled these days, he overdramatises it and gets booked. He's too happy to eat grass, but today the yellow card was plain stupid, after the hit he got, there was no way to avoid falling. Yeah, I'm pulling my hair (the little bit that's left of it) too, when he chooses falling (and getting the free kick against him), in stead of going for it.

Just seen on tv, Crouch tried to rob the Tridindad & Tobago defender of his head, grabbing as much hair as he could when he scored that goal 1-0.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #982
kingfc22
Head Coach

That would be awesome if Portugal beat Mexico and Angola beats Iran and advances on GD.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #983
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Ok, after ther first week of watching every World Cup game...3 broadcast observations.

1) In which country did "pulling the strings" get made famous? I've been watching soccer on FSC and ESPN for 2 seasons now and have never heard that phrase as many times as I've heard it this last week.

2) Why do John Harkes and his broadcast partner choose to overuse the phrase "1v1" once every 2 minutes of every game they do?

3) Why does Shep Messing choose to wait a good 20 seconds after a goal is scored before he offers insight? It's like...

Play by play guy - "Pass from Riquelme...and Goal by Messi!!!"

5 secs

10 secs

15 secs

20 secs - Shep - "OH WHAT A GOAL THERE BY MESSI!!"

This guy does this on every goal in every match he's done so far this week.

Ok...back to drinking...

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 06-16-2006 at 07:47 PM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #984
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Seriously... these announcers are annoying. Messing is beginning to sound like Dick Vitale.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed. I was waiting for him to call Messi a diaper dandy.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #985
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Ok, after ther first week of watching every World Cup game...3 broadcast observations.

1) In which country did "pulling the strings" get made famous? I've been watching soccer on FSC and ESPN for 2 seasons now and have never heard that phrase as many times as I've heard it this last week.

2) Why do John Harkes and his broadcast partner choose to overuse the phrase "1v1" once every 2 minutes of every game they do?

3) Why does Shep Messing choose to wait a good 20 seconds after a goal is scored before he offers insight? It's like...

Play by play guy - "Pass from Riquelme...and Goal by Messi!!!"

5 secs

10 secs

15 secs

20 secs - Shep - "OH WHAT A GOAL THERE BY MESSI!!"

This guy does this on every goal in every match he's done so far this week.

Ok...back to drinking...

My guess is he is trying to allow the crowd noise to come across to show the excitement in the stadium.

That said, god I hate everyone except the Tommy Smyth pair.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 PM   #986
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jeez... I'm gone for a week and change of WC and I have to wade through 20 pages of nonsense? Nah... I'll just ignore 'em instead.

I will say that it sucks that the games are all on during work hours in the US *grumble*. However, I have watched and listened (on the free XM radio on Airtran Airways on my trip back home today) to enough of the WC to know that Ivory Coast was really unlucky to be stuck in the group with Holland and Argentina. They seem to be the best African team and deserved better.

US plays again tomorrow. Hopefully we can keep the goal differential to 2 goals this time? After all, it'd be best not to finish last in this thing . Unfortunetly the squad seemed to have a decidedly lack of passion and aside from Reyna's hitting the post and Johnson's near miss, they played like utter ****. Hopefully the ship can be righted by tomorrow... but, well, we'll see. They are beginning the infighting again as well. It's like 1998 all over again... though perhaps I'm being a bit fatalistic.

And good job by Ecuador and T&T! I do love it when the minnows do well and show they can hang in there.

Btw, when England went to a 3-5-2 against T&T, moving Lennon to the outside and Beckham more to the center, they really looked good. Now, I don't know if Sven will actually try that at the beginning of a match, but it is an interesting though. Lennon really gave the team a great spark and gave Beckham more space and time to make crosses, like the one that broke the game open.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #987
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Beckham was theoretically playing at right back. It was a bastardised 442 formation. England won't try the same again because Beckham will get raped by any leftwinger who knows his business. And because of the T&T counter that nearly gave a goal away when Beckham shanked the ball straight to them. Fullbacks are meant to stay back and defend during set pieces.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #988
AlexB
Pro Starter

Challenge of the WC just there by an Iranian player on Figo! He kicked Figo in the head, while Figo was stood up straight - I think that could have been a red card, but the guy hasn't even got booked.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #989
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Challenge of the WC just there by an Iranian player on Figo! He kicked Figo in the head, while Figo was stood up straight - I think that could have been a red card, but the guy hasn't even got booked.

definitely that was a BS non-call
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #990
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
definitely that was a BS non-call

There have been a lot of calls going against the Portuguese. The referee seems to blow for a foul everytime and Iranian hits the deck.

Portugal have looked pretty good despite not being in the lead yet. Not Argentina-good, but better than they were for 85 minutes of the game against Angola.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #991
Easy Mac

I think that if you put a gun to Cristiano Ronaldo's head and said you'd kill him if he didn't get off a solid cross, he'd be dead in 2 seconds. That kid can't cross a ball to save his life. He can look pretty on the ball, but he can't pass his way out of a straight hallway.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #992
Easy Mac

Nice goal by Deca. Perfect placement. This game is over.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #993
Joe
Pro Starter

nice PK, Ronaldo finally put one through.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #994
Critch
lolzcat

I'm surprised Ronaldo didn't try a step-over and a backheal for the penalty.

Figo cuts in from the wing = sets up Deco for a shot. Goal.

Ronaldo cuts in from the wing = three step overs, a flick, run into three defenders, lose the ball, fall over, look at the ref, stand up with his hands on his hips and watch the replay while the game goes on.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #995
Easy Mac

That's unfair... he also shoots wide.

He's like a younger, more annoying Robben
Old 06-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #996
Easy Mac

Oh my Ghana... 1-0 in 1 minute
Old 06-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #997
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Wow.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #998
moriarty
College Starter

What happened? I just turned it on.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #999
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ghana is playing very well to start.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #1000
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Which team am I supposed to be rooting for in this game ?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote