Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #951
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw a stat last night on Sportscenter. Pitchers who have started the season 6-0 with an ERA under 0.50:

Walter Johnson
Fernando Valenzuela
Zack Greinke

That's pretty good company.

FWIW......Dayton Moore stated that he wanted to build this team through pitching and build a rotation that had 5 good starters. If we can just hurry up and get Hochaver to the big leagues to replace Ponson (Hochaver's now 5-0 with a 1.13 ERA at Omaha), we've got a heckuva chance at winning this division.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #952
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
fuckin brewers man, so sick of these fuckers.

I think that was 16 in a row, wtf.

Wow- just saw that in the game recap. That's not cool.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #953
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I would love to be back there to catch a couple of his games and feel that electric atmosphere that I had only ever seen there in 2003

SI

They were going bonkers at every turn last night. People were smiling, leaning forward in their seats, party patio in the outfield was packed. This town has a tendancy to assume the wheels will fall off at some point in each season. They may have no choice but to buy in again and hope it doesn't happen. I'm heading out to the stadium tonight with my daughter.

The fabulous thing about Greinke is he's actually quite intimidating, despite his demeanor off the mound. He's now had five straight starts against the Chicago White Sox where he went head hunting. If you crowd the plate against Greinke, you can expect to get a 95 MPH fastball in the helmet earhole. Quintan gave Greinke a dirty look earlier in the season when he threw an inside pitch. Greinke put the next pitch in the middle of his back. The rivalry between Chicago and KC has really heated up over the past couple of years. It reminds me a lot of the Chiefs/Raiders hatred.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-05-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #954
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that was game 2 where he had an 0-2 count, iirc, and Quentin kept crowding so he hit him. That was sandwiched in a 3 K inning where he had pinpoint control. It was no accident and I'm glad to see someone on our team willing to do that.

SI

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #955
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
27 games in the Jays are 18-9, 1st in the AL and 3rd in the majors (though unfortunately only 2 ahead of Boston).

Their current rotation is Halladay, Richmond, Tallet, Ray, Cecil. Cecil will become the 9th pitcher to start a game for the Jays this season when he toes the rubber on Tuesday.

That's right, a combined 19 games started after Halladay, with 8 of those coming this season. With the demotion of Purcey, Halladay is now the only pitcher on the team to have started more than 4 games this season.

Now I have a lot of faith in Cito, but I'm really hoping the cavalry comes soon and comes back strong (Janssen, Litsch and Romero shouldn't be too far off, but it will be interesting to see how effective they are and if they can stay healthy). The Jays are 68-46 since he came back last season with the interesting caveat that they were missing some key offensive pieces when he took over last season which just got swapped out for missing pitchers this season.

How did this guy go without a job as manager for over 10 years?

I'm glad they had the good sense to bring him back, but..yes...it's pretty interesting that no one else hired him over that time. But then, it's baseball and we sure do love our retreads.

I'm cautiously optimistic at what's going on now and I'm appreciative that the squad is even in the conversation. That's better than we've had in past years.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #956
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Zack Greinke ERA+ Update: 1173

No, that is not a misprint. I know it's not going to be anywhere near that at season's end and suffers from small sample size. But, holy crap- just look at it.

6-0
0.40 ERA
0.84 WHIP

45 IP
30 H
3 R
2 ER
8 BB
0 HR

10.8 K/9
6.7 K/BB

(and from Rany: "For the season, his BABIP is also .286. The BABIP for the Royals as a team is virtually indistinguishable at .289. In other words, Greinke hasn’t been lucky this season. He comes by that 0.40 ERA honestly. Honestly.")

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-05-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #957
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

12:35pm game today! Nothing like a half-day at work and some baseball! Too bad the weather isn't better.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #958
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
(and from Rany: "For the season, his BABIP is also .286. The BABIP for the Royals as a team is virtually indistinguishable at .289. In other words, Greinke hasn’t been lucky this season. He comes by that 0.40 ERA honestly. Honestly.")

SI

I always thought the way BABIP was used was you needed to compare it to the PITCHER's own career baseline - as in each pitcher has a BABIP that they tend to regress to. Greinke's is .315 for his career, meaning that he is getting a little lucky. Assuming I understand BABIP correctly, of course.

EDIT: Also, has the defense improved greatly? That could explain a change (I know Crisp is solid in CF).

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #959
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Frankly, I don't buy Rany's argument but he's Rany so I'll give him some benefit of the doubt.

I thought BABIP averages out to something like .320. The outfield defense is improved but the infield is scary- at least the right side. So, I think Zack's been a little lucky. He does seem to dial it up when he gets in trouble- throw that extra little bit he's been saving up- but that's simply anecdotal and holds no water.

SI

Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #960
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Regardless, it's a remarkable start and we can probably agree that he won't keep up THIS pace all season. Still, enjoy it while you've got it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #961
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Exactly- I know the easy question is "what are realistic numbers from here on out"? I just prefer not to think about it and enjoy the ride

SI

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #962
Atocep
Coordinator

Its hard to use Greinke's career numbers at this point because his '05 season was far out of character and caries too much weight at this point (.343 BABIP that year). League average is just under .300 most years.

He is pitching lights out right now, but you don't put up a 0.40 ERA and 1173 ERA+ without a sizable amount of luck. The most obvious place he's had luck this year has been zero home runs allowed. Based on his HR/FB rates from the past 2 years he should have allowed 4-5 at this point.

But as both of you said, its best to enjoy the ride. He sure as hell earned any good fortune he's getting now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #963
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I always thought the way BABIP was used was you needed to compare it to the PITCHER's own career baseline

Not as I've seen it. There is an average BABIP, but that also depends on having an average defense.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #964
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Its hard to use Greinke's career numbers at this point because his '05 season was far out of character and caries too much weight at this point (.343 BABIP that year). League average is just under .300 most years.

He is pitching lights out right now, but you don't put up a 0.40 ERA and 1173 ERA+ without a sizable amount of luck. The most obvious place he's had luck this year has been zero home runs allowed. Based on his HR/FB rates from the past 2 years he should have allowed 4-5 at this point.

But as both of you said, its best to enjoy the ride. He sure as hell earned any good fortune he's getting now.

Honestly, luck goes both ways. Chicago got 6 hits last night. Two of the hits were broken bat loopers that just went over the head of the infielders and three other hits went off the gloves of KC's weak infielders. Chicago really only had one good line drive hit the whole night.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-05-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #965
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Not as I've seen it. There is an average BABIP, but that also depends on having an average defense.

Actually, after thinking about it, I think what I was describing is how to use BABIP to judge a hitter's performance. For a pitcher it should be to league average.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #966
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think there are also exceptions for knuckleballers and extreme groundball pitchers- of which Greinke is neither- but I could be mistaken.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #967
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I'm glad they had the good sense to bring him back, but..yes...it's pretty interesting that no one else hired him over that time. But then, it's baseball and we sure do love our retreads.

I'm cautiously optimistic at what's going on now and I'm appreciative that the squad is even in the conversation. That's better than we've had in past years.

I didn't even know what Marcum and McGowan were up to, other than they weren't pitching right now. Had no idea both could miss the season.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #968
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Frankly, I don't buy Rany's argument but he's Rany so I'll give him some benefit of the doubt.

I thought BABIP averages out to something like .320. The outfield defense is improved but the infield is scary- at least the right side. So, I think Zack's been a little lucky. He does seem to dial it up when he gets in trouble- throw that extra little bit he's been saving up- but that's simply anecdotal and holds no water.

SI

It depends on both the pitcher and the defense. The average is around .300. For a pitcher who has enough innings, you can start with their career average and adjust for defense/park effects from there.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #969
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
fuckin brewers man, so sick of these fuckers.

I think that was 16 in a row, wtf.

Last night definitely had to be pouring salt on the Pirates' wounds.

I'm definitely happy that the Brewers have taken the high road so far after that jackass Jeff Karstens threw at Ryan Braun.

Beating them 16 times in a row is definitely better revenge than throwing at a guy.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #970
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Good MLB debut by Brett Cecil today, power lefty for Toronto. 6 innings and 6Ks with one earned run. He did hit 3 guys though, not sure what that was about.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #971
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Good MLB debut by Brett Cecil today, power lefty for Toronto. 6 innings and 6Ks with one earned run. He did hit 3 guys though, not sure what that was about.

lol, the #9 hitter twice.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #972
Travis
Pro Rookie

Had the 6 K's in the first 3 innings as well. Pretty bizarre seeing a 2-1 game through 5, and 3-2 through 6 turn into a 10-6 final with all the extra runs coming in 1 inning.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #973
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ugly meltdown by Tribe pen...again!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #974
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

There's a guy pitching for SF named Merkin.

That is all.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #975
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
There's a guy pitching for SF named Merkin.

That is all.

He's bush league.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #976
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Posada on the DL now. Too bad (teeheehee).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #977
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He's bush league.

Good enough to K Derrek Lee.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #978
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Good enough to K Derrek Lee.

Did he wig out afterwords?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #979
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Did he wig out afterwords?

They didn't exchange words that I could see.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #980
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Last night definitely had to be pouring salt on the Pirates' wounds.

I'm definitely happy that the Brewers have taken the high road so far after that jackass Jeff Karstens threw at Ryan Braun.

Beating them 16 times in a row is definitely better revenge than throwing at a guy.

I don't really have a problem with a guy throwing at another teams player. Unless it's at the head. A meatball to the back....that's baseball.

Besides, it's not like Karstens throws hard enough to bruise anyways.

I think we basically need to no-hit the Brewers if we want to win one of these games.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #981
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They didn't exchange words that I could see.

Glad things didn't get hairy.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #982
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I don't really have a problem with a guy throwing at another teams player. Unless it's at the head. A meatball to the back....that's baseball.

Besides, it's not like Karstens throws hard enough to bruise anyways.

I think we basically need to no-hit the Brewers if we want to win one of these games.

I'd usually agree with you, but I'm not sure what Braun did to deserve it that particular night?

Braun definitely has a reputation for admiring his home runs but I certainly didn't recall any of the Brewers admiring their shots that particular night.

If it is pent up frustration about losing so much to the Brewers, well, who is to blame for that? Win a damn game against them. It seems the past few years the Pirates have had some bad blood for the Brewers (Matt Capps vs. Prince Fielder). From a Brewer fan's perspective, it's akin to a chihuahua nipping at the heels of a rottweiler (based on how the actual outcome of the games have come out).
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #983
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Padilla is pitching a gem against the Mariners right now.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #984
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Curtis Granderson hit 5th today for Detroit with Magglio hitting 6th. Granderson was 1-5 but hit a HR, and the Tigs put up 9 runs in a 9-0 victory over the Twins. Hopefully this stays this way a little bit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #985
lungs
Pro Rookie

Make it 17 in a row against the Pirates for the Brewers.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #986
Ksyrup

LOVE the Yankees' relief staff. Ha!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #987
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
LOVE the Yankees' relief staff. Ha!

Honestly... I look at the box score. Who the hell are half of these guys? Actually... who are ALL of these guys? I've heard of a few but for crying out loud, you'd think the Yankees could patch together a relief staff with all the money they have.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #988
Ksyrup

Meanwhile, the Red Sox run out Saito as the "other" guy to mop up a 4 run lead so they don't have to use Papelbon.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #989
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Good job Mets... bragging rights in Atlanta now (until the next series) .
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #990
Ksyrup

That Delgado drop was beyond awful, though.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #991
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Red Sox run out Saito as the "other" guy to mop up a 4 run lead so they don't have to use Papelbon.

LUV IT!!! UNDEFEATED VS. THE EVIL EMPIRE THIS YEAR!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #992
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Good job Mets... bragging rights in Atlanta now (until the next series) .

Delgado tried his best to fuck it up
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #993
RedKingGold
College Starter

Well, if you love irony, Lidge just gave up a home run to Pujols in the ninth inning.

At least the Phillies still have a three-run lead.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #994
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Honestly... I look at the box score. Who the hell are half of these guys? Actually... who are ALL of these guys? I've heard of a few but for crying out loud, you'd think the Yankees could patch together a relief staff with all the money they have.

Brian Bruney and Damaso Marte are on the DL. I'm guessing you've heard of them.

So they've brought young guys up from the minors who have done well like Melancon and Robertson and Girardi definitely doesn't use them enough. He overuses Veras who is worthless and Albaledjo who has been roughed up of late. I really hope they don't do what all the idiots on ESPN want them to do and move Joba to the bullpen. The pen will be ok when Bruney and Marte are back and the starting rotation gets on track.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #995
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Delgado tried his best to fuck it up

Well, yes... but that's over now, and I can refrain from breaking anything .
Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #996
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. A suspended game? Bullpens of Houston and Washington alternating implosions before suspension at 10-10 in the 11th.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-05-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #997
RedKingGold
College Starter

On the plus side, Phils in first place for the first time this season.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #998
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Dola - Greinke.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #999
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Well, my 2 year old couldn't make it through the whole Royals game last night. We left in the 6th inning after 3(!) hours. I got home and still watched from the 8th inning all the way to the conclusion of the game in the 11th inning. Couldn't believe the number of walks by White Sox pitchers.

As for the new Kauffman Stadium, it's unbelievable. It's hard to believe it's even the same stadium. My daughter rode a few carnival rides, played on the playground, and ate an entire hot dog along with downing a couple of glasses of pop. She loved it. Definitely going to take her back out for some more games this year.

And in case anyone wants to know the going rate for superstar pitchers, Greinke's high school girlfriend/fiance has her own website.......

Emily Kuchar, Miss Daytona Beach USA

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-06-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #1000
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Wow. Got into the bottom of the 10th, rain delay. Played into the bottom of the 11th, game suspended. It's going to be completed in Houston in July.

Zimmerman extends his hitting streak to 23 games.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote