Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #51
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

I might be throwing in an odd name, but how about Kurt Angle, who won an Olympic Gold Medal with a broken freakin' neck.

DavidCorperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCorperial View Post
I might be throwing in an odd name, but how about Kurt Angle, who won an Olympic Gold Medal with a broken freakin' neck.

Don't confuse competitiveness with mental illness.

Some of Kurt's stuff is "fire", other parts are most likely simply signs that he ain't entirely all there.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #53
hollmt
High School Varsity

I am going to throw this one out there and see how it flies...

Secretariat.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

Joey Chestnut?
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cal Ripken, Jr.

Bitches

Old 03-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #56
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Was just channel hopping past a Jim Thorpe movie on TCM, he probably deserves a mention, right? Olympic gold in pentathlon and decathlon, played for six teams in the NFL and managed to squeeze 6 seasons of MLB in there as well. Apparently also played professional, barnstorming basketball for a couple of years in there as well.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #57
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Was just channel hopping past a Jim Thorpe movie on TCM, he probably deserves a mention, right? Olympic gold in pentathlon and decathlon, played for six teams in the NFL and managed to squeeze 6 seasons of MLB in there as well. Apparently also played professional, barnstorming basketball for a couple of years in there as well.

Also a high school lacrosse player and 1912 Intercollegiate Ballroom Dancing national champion.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #58
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
1912 Intercollegiate Ballroom Dancing national champion.

That's awesome!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #59
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

I think there is something to be said about the greatness of the competitor who is able to play professionally in multiple sports in the modern day, and do it well at that.

Therefore Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders both warrant discussion in the conversation. Brian Jordan and Danny Ainge as well, to a lesser degree.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #60
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sold on Thorpe
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #61
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I don't think his name has been mentioned but I think Jack Nicklaus is an interesting candidate.

An unparalleled record both in amateur and professional play. His peers have all documented how his mere presence on a leaderboard would cause even the best players to start faltering, with the 1986 Masters a perfect example of that.

He was also the best "loser" EVER in sports. No one showed more sportsmanship and class in defeat.

I understand he was an accomplished football and basketball player in his younger days as well.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Along the vein of Dick Butkus you can throw guys like Ray Nitschke, or a 2-way guy like Chuck Bednarik in that mix. As much as I hate him off the field, for a modern LB Ray Lewis had that drive & fire (listen to him talk about how his only goal from like age 10 was to erase his absent father's name from his HS record books, and then he kept up that work ethic through Miami & the NFL.) Ronnie Lott's obviously a great pick.

Another out of Left Field pick - Ted Williams. Had the slightly misguided and selfish competitive fire like Kobe, but wanted to be the best ever & put himself in the conversation as a hitter, while doing pretty well as a fighter pilot and a fisherman.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #63
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Babe Ruth was a great pitcher and great hitter. His pitching was during a deadball era, but it was still excellent compared to his contemporaries. Even after transitioning to OF, he was 5-0 as a pitcher for the Yankees.

I do wonder how many HR he hits in his career if he's not primarily a pitcher for 5 years.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #64
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Ruth is the worst choice on this thread. A great player who had many other distractions in his life.

Ty Cobb and Jackie Robinson are much better choices for baseball.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #65
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Ruth is the worst choice on this thread. A great player who had many other distractions in his life.

Ty Cobb and Jackie Robinson are much better choices for baseball.

Ruth was a dominant pitcher who made the majors at 19, played until he was 40 (with a .985 OPS at 39), and held the career HR record for 39 years. He still holds the career SLG and OPS records. The move to OF was something he wanted because he wanted to play every day instead of just pitching.

I don't see how someone changing from pitching to OF at 25, being great at both, and lasting 2 decades as a pro can be a bad competitor.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #66
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ruth was a dominant pitcher who made the majors at 19, played until he was 40 (with a .985 OPS at 39), and held the career HR record for 39 years. He still holds the career SLG and OPS records. The move to OF was something he wanted because he wanted to play every day instead of just pitching.

I don't see how someone changing from pitching to OF at 25, being great at both, and lasting 2 decades as a pro can be a bad competitor.

Roger that.
I also didn't think there was a right or wrong answer/choice on this as opinions will vary.

And if you are going to say Cobb or even Robinson for that matter are better, back it up. Last I checked, both of those players had distractions as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #67
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Robinson is a great choice though. All the extra crap he had to deal with, especially as the face of humungous change, could only have been handled by someone who was willing to compete in the on and off field aspects of the sport.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #68
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
And if you are going to say Cobb or even Robinson for that matter are better, back it up. Last I checked, both of those players had distractions as well.

I think it could be argued Babe was one of the WORST competitors of all time. He cared less about winning than he did about having fun.

Im envious.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #69
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I think it could be argued Babe was one of the WORST competitors of all time. He cared less about winning than he did about having fun.

Im envious.

A guy who cared less about winning than having fun begged management to let him switch from pitching to OF because he wanted to play every day? Really?
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #70
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Im envious.

I mean, I'm not on the Ruth bandwagon. I merely gave credit where credit was due on what Crescent said about him in his post and to not knock someone on his opinion/choice in a thread where opinions are going to vary.

I've given my vote to Secretariat.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #71
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A guy who cared less about winning than having fun begged management to let him switch from pitching to OF because he wanted to play every day? Really?

Why?
Because chicks dig players.

Look I know it was a different time, but Babe semi-regularly showed up to games drunk...I cant call you the greatest "competitor" of all time if you dont care enough to give your best.

That isnt to say he might not have been the best player, there is a very good chance he was, but maybe Im just defining competitor the wrong way.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote