Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #51
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Excited to play this game. Reviews in general seem to be very positive.

Horizon: Zero Dawn: The Kotaku Review

Very, very few games that have ads on TV really get my interest anymore. I've usually seen them already.

But this one? I had never heard about it. Watching the ad made me run for the computer to look at footage. It isn't going to be a quick buy for me (I have The Show later in March and am busy as hell with FOF, DDPB, Doom and a couple of others I want to finish. But it is on my radar now. I look forward to playing this at some point.

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Very, very few games that have ads on TV really get my interest anymore. I've usually seen them already.

But this one? I had never heard about it. Watching the ad made me run for the computer to look at footage. It isn't going to be a quick buy for me (I have The Show later in March and am busy as hell with FOF, DDPB, Doom and a couple of others I want to finish. But it is on my radar now. I look forward to playing this at some point.

It was the big announcement by Sony at last year's E3. The writer for it wrote the story for Fallout 4: New Vegas.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #53
wustin
College Prospect

Humble Civilization Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)

$7 for complete civ 3-5
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I went ahead and snagged a 20% off copy of Horizon off of Amazon. Excited to get it on release day and give it a whirl.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #55
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of hands-on previews with the Nintendo Switch today. Most of them are having issues with the controller not fully charging. Also having some issues with the controllers not staying synced.

Pre-review: Nintendo Switch - Polygon

No Virtual Console at launch. Bummer given the lack of games for the foreseeable future.

Nintendo Switch Will Not Have Virtual Console At Launch

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-23-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #56
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Anyone playing Ghost Recon Wildlands open beta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #57
Groundhog
Coordinator

I backed the Mutant League Football kickstarter, which gave me access to the alpha. Surprisingly polished and a lot of fun, even with just 1 half of an exhibition game currently included.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Anyone playing Ghost Recon Wildlands open beta?

Me and my friends tried last night, but one of us got this Nat Status error and couldn't join us without doing some kind of port forwarding nonsense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #59
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

*ahem*

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #60
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
*ahem*

I was going to ask what the dirt is on this. Loved the first one. Combat was great the only issue I had was the story was kind of meh.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 AM   #61
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, who backed/preordered torment: tides of numenera which released today?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #62
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I backed it!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #63
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Thanks for the reminder, I backed it as well. I played a little bit very early in the beta then decided to shelve it for the full experience at launch.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #64
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, who backed/preordered torment: tides of numenera which released today?

I backed it. And a very good friend of mine wrote for the game, too!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #65
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It's sad when the new humble bundle comes out and it sucks

THis is the third one in a row I've not been interested in.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #66
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
OMG Sniper Elite 4 is fantastic so far!

I started a single player campaign today and if I didn't have to go and referee soccer tonight, I would stay up all night.

If you like previous versions of SE, you'll really fall in love with SE 4! Finally an open world, with objectives obviously.. but being able to approach scenarios my way is such a thrilling and fantastic ride! Maybe it's just me, but the splattered kills NEVER get old to me. I love sniping a truck, then waiting in cover as the guards come towards me, pass me up, then I unleash some automatic fire on them.

I'm very early into the game, but planning my next strategy is such a fun experience! Scouting the area first for escape routes, tagging targets, then putting my plan in motion.. it's a rewarding thing when it goes well. Like all SE games, it's not a romp into town with guns blazing.. it's a methodical mind trip with loads of strategy.

Loving it.....

My mind is blown with this game. Having a blast with this. Took me 3 hours to go through one level because I was planning everything out. Before I knew it I had to quit because I would have stayed up all night moving on.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
My mind is blown with this game. Having a blast with this. Took me 3 hours to go through one level because I was planning everything out. Before I knew it I had to quit because I would have stayed up all night moving on.

I know the feeling! Being a one man killing machine takes careful planning and execution!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #68
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I am totally hooked on Horizon Zero Dawn. This is generally not up my ally but I decided to give it a go and I struggled to pull myself away tonight and I can't wait to get back into it.

Last edited by Balldog : 02-28-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #69
mckerney
Coordinator

So Zelda: Breath of the Wild is quite good. After the first 24 reviews on Metacritic it's currently sitting at a 98.

Kotaku - 10/10

Quote:
And as you talk about Breath of the Wild with your friends, there’s one word that will rarely if ever come up: “can’t.” Stories about the new Zelda will instead revolve around what you can do. How you climbed all the way to the top of the Temple of Time just for kicks, or how you parachuted down to the lowest point of Hyrule to see what kind of secrets you’d find there. How you found a brilliant method to brute-force your way through the freezing, snowy mountains, or how you set a forest on fire just to see if you could.

Or, how you tried something as ridiculous as flipping over a maze so you wouldn’t have to solve it, and the game somehow let you finish the puzzle anyway. Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game to date, and it accomplishes that simply by saying yes.

IGN - 10/10

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in open-world design and a watershed game that reinvents a 30-year-old franchise. It presents a wonderful sandbox full of mystery, dangling dozens upon dozens of tantalizing things in front of you that just beg to be explored. I’ve had so many adventures in Breath of the Wild, and each one has a unique story behind what led me to them, making them stories on top of stories. And even after I’ve spent more than 50 hours searching the far reaches of Hyrule, I still manage to come across things I haven’t seen before. I’ll easily spend 50 to 100 more trying to track down its fascinating moments.

Gamespot - 10/10

Quote:
No matter how gorgeous its environments are, how clever its enemies are, and how tricky its puzzles get, the fact that Breath of the Wild continues to surprise you with newfound rules and possibilities after dozens of hours is by far its most valuable quality. It's a game that allows you to feel gradually more and more empowered yet simultaneously manages to retain a sense of challenge and mystery--which, together, creates a steady, consistent feeling of gratification throughout the entire experience. Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever created.

Giant Bomb - 5/5

Quote:
Nintendo may have changed so many long-standing traditions of the Zelda franchise, but the spirit of discovery is as strong as it’s ever been no matter your age. I didn’t think I’d feel the Zelda magic this strongly ever again, but I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-02-2017 at 05:13 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Seeing Gamespot give Zelda BotW a 10/10 is quite impressive.

Since the Nintendo Switch now has my attention... what does the rest of the library so far look like?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #71
bob
College Starter

I think Zelda is the library right now.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #72
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Seeing Gamespot give Zelda BotW a 10/10 is quite impressive.

Since the Nintendo Switch now has my attention... what does the rest of the library so far look like?

There's a couple other indie games coming out in a year or so.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #73
mckerney
Coordinator

Reviews also coming out for NieR: Automata, the follow up to one of my favorite games. Looking good so far, just need Square Enix to confirm the PC release date now

RPG Fan - 93%
Quote:
NieR: Automata is everything I could have wanted from a sequel to NieR, to the point that I almost feel spoiled here. It keeps the same off-the-wall plot and well-written characters from the original while discarding the clunky combat and movement for a system that has the sheen of any one of Platinum's greatest titles. It really is the best of both worlds. If you've been a fan of NieR since day one, but have been burnt by its clumsiness before, you're in for a fantastic treat. And if you're new to the craziness that is a Yoko Taro game, know that this is the absolute best time to jump in.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-02-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #74
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's a couple other indie games coming out in a year or so.

Seriously though - all it takes is the killer app (like Zelda). I'm a Playstation dork solely because of The Show.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #75
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Seriously though - all it takes is the killer app (like Zelda). I'm a Playstation dork solely because of The Show.

Can confirm, I would've bought a Wii U just for Bayonetta 2.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #76
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

Which is coming out soon. Got some great time killers coming this month with Horizon and The Show.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #77
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We are happy to announce that Grey Dog Software is running a $10 off promotion for Fast Break College Basketball in the 2017 March Madness sale! Beginning today, you can use the coupon code FBCB17 at checkout in the webstore to save $10 off when you purchase Fast Break College Basketball. This promotion will run through Monday night, April 3.

To take part in this promotion, please visit our webstore and add Fast Break College Basketball to your shopping cart. Next, choose the option "I have a discount coupon for this product" for each item in your cart and enter the code. You will see the discount at check out!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #78
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think Zelda is the library right now.

I was afraid of that.. maybe around Christmas time then.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #79
Edward64
Head Coach

I'll probably buy the Switch but Mario Kart won't come out until late April. I've got the original Wii and missed out on the Wii U.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

GOG.com's Spring Sale has started if you are looking for a good deal on a game.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #81
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I've put in a lot of hours on Zelda since Friday and I have barely scratched the surface. I think it might be one of the best games I have ever played. I thought the initial ratings might be just a lot of hype, but it is that good. The world is so big it is kind of overwhelming at first. I found myself wanting some faster travel at first (I haven't got a horse yet) but then realized I could pass 3 hours just exploring a tiny little section on foot and it was pretty damn amazing. 10/10

Edited to add: 1-2 Switch is actually a lot of fun (my 72 year old Dad kicked everyone's ass on quickdraw, wtf?? I mean it is amazing he played a video game!) and I was not expecting that at all. Shovel Knight is frustratingly fun and Snipperclips is a perfect husband/wife game.
I hear great things about that racing game for $20 but I'm just going to wait for Kart in April.

I was also worried about the size of the joycons, but they are nice and comfortable. I mostly play with the joycons on the grip and it feels perfect or with the Switch in hand with the joycons attached to each side. The portability is amazing. We had an hour ride and then an hour back on Sunday so I brought the switch and made my wife drive while I played Zelda for an hour each way. Still had 68% battery when I got back home. I don't see myself using the kickstand setup much outside of 12 Switch.

I know there have been a few issues reported by my system has worked perfectly. I spent around $450 I guess on the system, Zelda, 12 Switch, Snipperclips and Shovel Knight. I may pick up a case in the future and perhaps more joycons or a pro controller but I don't really feel any need for those things, it would just be a bonus.

I know the game lineup is a little light, but Zelda will take up all your time until things like Kart, Splatoon and other stuff starts coming out. I highly recommend.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 03-06-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #82
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I officially suck at Darkest Dungeons
Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #83
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I officially suck at Darkest Dungeons

You and me both Have you tried radiant mode yet? It's supposed to give you more of a chance to develop your adventurers.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #84
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've only put in about twenty minutes of game play so far (#$!? System update took hours yesterday), but Zelda really is all that and a bag of chips so far. Breathtaking, huge, and pretty much all I want to do with my spare time right now.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #85
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I've only put in about twenty minutes of game play so far (#$!? System update took hours yesterday), but Zelda really is all that and a bag of chips so far. Breathtaking, huge, and pretty much all I want to do with my spare time right now.

I wonder if it's worth it just to buy the Wii U version?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #86
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wonder if it's worth it just to buy the Wii U version?

If you've got a Wii U then absolutely. I've played about 20 hours and it's fantastic, just an amazing game. It's gorgeous even though it's nowhere near the most technically impressive game.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #87
mckerney
Coordinator

NieR: Automata has gotten great reviews, though the PC release is another 8 days away. I'd hoped to finish Zelda by then but with all there is to do in Breath of the Wild I'm not sure I'll be able to do that. May have to take a break for NieR when is out.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #88
Ramzavail
College Starter

the music in NieR 1 was awesome
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #89
Groundhog
Coordinator

Might be the first time I turn my Wii U on in a while.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #90
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cool patch for Tales of Maj'Eyal came in if you are interested. One class, the Stone Warden, was moved from backer only to everyone-can-play, and another back class came in. Have you ever looking at a dwarf and said, "Double wierd swords? Nah! Double wield axes? Nah! Hammers? Daggers? Nah and nah! I want to double wield some shields!" then Stone Warden is the class for you.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-10-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
NieR: Automata has gotten great reviews, though the PC release is another 8 days away. I'd hoped to finish Zelda by then but with all there is to do in Breath of the Wild I'm not sure I'll be able to do that. May have to take a break for NieR when is out.

Not usually my style of game, but the reviews have me purchasing soon... Debating between PS4 version and PC version.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 AM   #92
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just finished Torment: Tides, thought it was fun.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #93
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So my friends' rave reviews convinced me to pick up a Switch and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild last week. The system has some major issues, as expected (I can't hold my wireless controllers in my lap if my legs are crossed because my legs interrupt the signal and make the controller extremely unresponsive), but I have been pleasantly surprised considering all the vitriol I heard beforehand. The screen when it's in portable mode is beautiful, and the switch from my TV to the tablet is seamless. The battery life is fairly impressive as well - many hours on a full charge, and putting it to sleep outside the charging dock overnight left me several hours the next morning as well. The online features are completely terrible, as noted, but accessing them is extremely simple and quick. It's too bad there isn't much to see, and it doesn't look like there will be. All that being said...

...holy shit Zelda is incredible. I've put in 30 hours or so (it's really all I want to play right now), and I've barely scratched the surface. If I go full completionist, I've got a solid 70 more hours, easily. They change a ton of the tried and true Zelda machinations, but almost every single one of them is a welcome change in my mind. The game is gorgeous, and the picturesque beauty of the landscape makes you want to just explore - which is exactly the strength of the game. Unless the strength is ingenuity - because there are several different ways to tackle almost every situation, and both the interface and the game systems themselves lend directly to trying new things often.

As a small example of all of these things, one of the new features of the game is that you do not have a sword as your weapon - at least, not initially. Your first weapon is extremely likely to be a tree branch that you pick up off the ground - and it's probably going to break as soon as you get into your first fight. All of your weapons break, even the eventual swords, and they typically break quickly. While this sounds like a huge pain in the ass, I find it invigorating, because it forces you to not only carry around a large variety of weapons (which are plentiful and not at all hard to find), but to actually USE all of them. Finding our which enemies it is better to go after with a spear than your sword, or a giant axe, or a sledgehammer, or even just beating them with a torch, is a part of the fun.

The reviews everywhere made the game sound too good to be true - but I'm already all-in on this game. It is the best Zelda I have ever played (and I cut my teeth on the original NES classic - my previous favorite was Link to the Past, though Ocarina was a close second), and despite not even being halfway through the game is easily in my top ten of all time.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-13-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #94
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Is Zelda pretty much the same on the wii u? Also can you have multiple save files?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #95
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You can have multiple files on the Switch (simply play with a different user profile), can't speak for the Wii U. I would imagine the Wii U probably loses a bit of lustre; a lot of the joy and wonder is in climbing on top of anything tall and looking around at the gorgeous scenery to spot something you want to go explore. I have no idea what the differences are in terms of processing power, etc, but losing any of the draw distance would be a bummer, in my mind. That being said, if you have nothing to compare it to, it's probably just fine.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #96
tarcone
Coordinator

NCAA 14 is amazing

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #97
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
You can have multiple files on the Switch (simply play with a different user profile), can't speak for the Wii U. I would imagine the Wii U probably loses a bit of lustre; a lot of the joy and wonder is in climbing on top of anything tall and looking around at the gorgeous scenery to spot something you want to go explore. I have no idea what the differences are in terms of processing power, etc, but losing any of the draw distance would be a bummer, in my mind. That being said, if you have nothing to compare it to, it's probably just fine.

Still looks great on the Wii U. The differences are it renders at 720p instead of the 900p the Switch does on TV, has lower quality environmental sounds than the Switch, and has longer loading times.

Saves work the same as I've read you have separate saves for each user profile.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #98
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Not usually my style of game, but the reviews have me purchasing soon... Debating between PS4 version and PC version.

Saved 15 bucks and bought it today for PS4. Did you end up getting it and liking it?
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #99
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Saved 15 bucks and bought it today for PS4. Did you end up getting it and liking it?

I have Nier: Automata on PC. I'm enjoying it but haven't put as much time into it yet as I'd like. I'm not without my complaints. Voice acting for the English language is spotty, sometimes even within one interaction with a main quest NPC you will have some lines spoken and some that are not. I pretty much hate it any time I'm thrown into top down perspective. Side Quest difficulty skyrocketed randomly and forced me to look up some things instead of playing through it blind to make sure I wasn't doing something completely wrong.

Talking to some NPC about motion sickness - which you can't do until you've completed a non-trivial introduction - apparently changed a ton of settings on me. I was getting furious in combat because the screen rotated so damn slowly... tuns out that a selection I made caused the game to drop like 15 settings regarding camera rotation down to very low/slow levels. I did not have the understanding that this was happening when I made the selection. Its possible that this was due to a lack of reading on my part. But because some other mechanics like the forced perspective changes sometimes feel awkward, I played for way too long thinking this was just an awkward game mechanic.

Now that I've looked some things up and have fixed my settings, I am having a lot of fun playing.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #100
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post

I'm super busy and also distracted by my 76ers in the Finals against the Warriors in NBA 2k17 but I have been playing it. I'm about 10 hours into the game and enjoying it very much. I got it for PS4 as well. I probably would be much further into it, but I can't play it when my daughter is around.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote