Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #51
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Gronkowski taunts Bengals on back to back plays, including the sideline, then gets angry when he gets flagged on his third taunt.
Was coaching during the game, but he hates low hits because of how many (legal ones) he takes and how he blew out his knee, and Burfict is doing this. I assume the two parts are related.

Will D. on Twitter: "Vontaze Burfict going low on Bennett. Seemed unnecessary but what do I know. #Patriots https://t.co/4DWnqa76TD"

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-16-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: One day I'll figure out embedding.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 AM   #52
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
One would almost say franchise ruining bad. Hopefully that contract is at least team friendly after a few years. He might have a decent arm and be really tall but he doesn't look like an NFL QB in any other way

The oddity of NFL GMs, 9 out of 10 of us on this board would have predicted he was a fluke and would never be worth the money he is making. How many times can NFL GMs keep falling into the same traps (Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Derek Anderson, Matt Cassel)?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-17-2016 at 12:11 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #53
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I was listening to PHI/WAS on the radio and out of frustration/disgust uttered "I guess they want WAS to win this one" when getting out of the car after hearing yet another flag called on PHI (don't worry, I was in the driveway and stationary -- I wasn't THAT disgusted).

I suppose the Eagles might just be really undisciplined, but 14-111 last week and 13-114 this week? That ain't fun to follow.

This is me with the Bucs....oh, pretty much every year, every game. The truth is probably...

50% - bad teams are penalized more...
30% - good teams get the benefit of the doubt
10% - home teams get some benefit
10% - NFL wants certain teams to win
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #54
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The oddity of NFL GMs, 9 out of 10 of us on this board would have predicted he was a fluke and would never be worth the money he is making. How many times can NFL GMs keep falling into the same traps (Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Derek Anderson, Matt Cassel)?

To be fair, they showed his salary as $12M this year and the NFL average is $10M for starting QB's. So that didn't seem too far out of whack considering the Texans were desperate.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #55
Thomkal
Head Coach

Turns out Big Ben was the most serious injury:

Ben Roethlisberger suffers torn meniscus in left knee - NFL.com

The Steelers have the Patriots next, so probably a good game to miss Then they have a bye. May be back for the next game against Baltimore the week after the bye, but if the injury is worse than expected once they get in there, he may be out for the season.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cardinals have not beaten the pathetic Jets since 1975 (hard to believe I know.) Hopefully Palmer's return, playing at home, and possibly no Revis, will mean the end of that streak.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #57
Kodos
Resident Alien

If I'm the Cowboys, I let Romo continue to heal on the bench until Prescott falters.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #58
Dutch
"Dutch"

I am kind of under this idea that the future with Prescott is now. The experience he gains from continuing on as the starter benefits the Cowboys long-term. Romo is a shortsighted venture at this point.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #59
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like if Ben is more hurt than they're letting onto, a Romo to the Steelers move might be an interesting trade opportunity for both teams.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #60
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well so far the good Cardinals have shown up and the Jets look awful, penalties are killing them and really only have Marshall as a weapon. Cards lead 14-3.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Was coaching during the game, but he hates low hits because of how many (legal ones) he takes and how he blew out his knee, and Burfict is doing this. I assume the two parts are related.

Will D. on Twitter: "Vontaze Burfict going low on Bennett. Seemed unnecessary but what do I know. #Patriots https://t.co/4DWnqa76TD"

Mike Reiss on Twitter: "Video: From coaches film (courtesy NFL), watch Vontaze Burfict (55) deliberately step on Blount's leg after TD. https://t.co/wtTPqy3XHP"
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #62
bhlloy
Coordinator

NFL needs to sort this refereeing out. Killing the game
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #63
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

What a find in David Johnson. Best back in the NFL right now.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #64
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Really? There's a guy with 4 straight games over 130 yards and he's not the best RB in the league? Elliot and McCoy both have more rushing yards more ypc than Johnson so far this season
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #65
bhlloy
Coordinator

Johnson has a game less and is averaging more yards from scrimmage per game. I think EZ-E and McCoy are better runners between the tackle, but for an all around back give me Johnson any day
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #66
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Johnson receiving skills set him apart. He makes difficult catches and is so elusive on the outside. One of them picks that turned to gold for the Cards. PFF#2 back this year behind Bell.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-17-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #67
Butter
Coordinator

Not sure if anyone still cares, but do others agree that this video shows him deliberately stepping on Blount's leg?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #68
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure if anyone still cares, but do others agree that this video shows him deliberately stepping on Blount's leg?

Not sure what he is doing but he is up to something illegal. And with the reaction of the Pats players Id imagine it was stepping on Blount if that are the claims the Pats are making.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #69
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Certainly one of the best. He's been a godsend for the Cards given their recent history with running backs. They key now is to keep him healthy. Nice to see Floyd get a TD after a slow start this year. Palmer still having problems going long though. They need to figure that out before going to Seattle next week. Jets just suck (sorry to any Jets fans on here) and happy that their season is basically over now.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #70
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Johnson has a game less and is averaging more yards from scrimmage per game. I think EZ-E and McCoy are better runners between the tackle, but for an all around back give me Johnson any day

Johnson's receiving stats are good, but both Elliot and McCoy have far less around them in the passing game.

Tyrod Taylor is 30th in the league in passing yards per game. The Bills top receiver is Robert Woods with 240 yards, good for 76th in the NFL. Even though he's got a 70+, and two 50+, reception years in the past, I don't see how McCoy could possibly rack up big numbers there.

It would be wise to keep DeMarco Murray in the discussion as well. Chip Kelly's incompetence is the primary reason why Murray has slipped out of the spotlight. Even Lamar Miller belongs in the discussion.

I just find it absurdly premature to call Johnson the best in the league as if there isn't a discussion to be had.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #71
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Tough to pass with slim not being able to pick up a blitz. Eazy E is in the discussion and is looking good but 6 games in. At 6 games Todd Gurley looked like the next Jim Brown. Lamar Miller is laughable if someone wants to compare him to the elite. Demarco is safely in that 2nd tier of NFL backs. Any team would love to have him but he doesnt have the elite skillset of the truly elite. Laveon Bell is certainly in the discussion but has been forgotten about because of suspension and injuries.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-17-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #72
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Certainly one of the best. He's been a godsend for the Cards given their recent history with running backs. They key now is to keep him healthy. Nice to see Floyd get a TD after a slow start this year. Palmer still having problems going long though. They need to figure that out before going to Seattle next week. Jets just suck (sorry to any Jets fans on here) and happy that their season is basically over now.

I think the Cards are having a bit of an identity crisis right now. They like to throw the ball downfield and score points but on the other hand they dont want to waste a talent like Johnson by using him as a decoy. They are going to get better each game. Fun talented squad you have.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:05 AM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Burfict is a piece of shit cheap ass player.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 AM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, Gurley is running behind a shit line and a 10 yards deep QB.

I think Johnson is the best. The Bills passing issues would actually accentuate McCoy as a receiver, since he is actually Taylor's best option right now, so if Johnson is still out-receiving him, that says something. And Elliott is running behind the best line in the league.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:47 AM   #75
wustin
College Prospect

Zeke is a better pure runner, reminds me of AP early in his career. David Johnson is a better pass catcher and better at protecting the pass. David reminds me a lot of LT and he also looks just like him.

http://i2.wp.com/rotoviz.com/wp-cont...ohnson_uni.jpg
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:59 AM   #76
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Burfict is a piece of shit cheap ass player.

Says the Steeler fan. I guess I should value your opinion considering you have rooted for some of the cheapest and shittiest of ass players over the years.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

Burfict is a cheap shot artist.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #78
Butter
Coordinator

I just don't agree that the second video shows him "deliberately stepping on the leg" of Blount. But I have no excuse for the diving at Bennett's legs, for which he already apologized.

My main thing around Gronk was he was standing over an unrelated player and taunting him while on the ground. Then taunting people after the next play. Then taunting the bench. Then acted surprised when he got flagged. Not just surprised but agitated. No problem with him sticking up for Bennett, but you do it in such a fashion, you're getting a flag.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #79
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I just don't agree that the second video shows him "deliberately stepping on the leg" of Blount. But I have no excuse for the diving at Bennett's legs, for which he already apologized.

My main thing around Gronk was he was standing over an unrelated player and taunting him while on the ground. Then taunting people after the next play. Then taunting the bench. Then acted surprised when he got flagged. Not just surprised but agitated. No problem with him sticking up for Bennett, but you do it in such a fashion, you're getting a flag.
What alternative explanation do you have for Burfict high stepping back into the pile? If you're going back in to pull guys off, he'd be reaching down and extending his arms. I don't think the Bengals are a dirty team (and I loved watching last January's bodybag game as a neutral), but Burfict is a p.o.s. cheap shot artist, and that's true even if a Steelers fan is saying it. Some people just aren't worth defending.

Gronk is an oversized baby. Once it was us vs them he started taunting anyone wearing red, and I have no problem with the flag being thrown. But it all started with Burfict, he should've been thrown out of the game (and now suspended) for that hit, and given his history he can fuck off with apologies.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #80
Butter
Coordinator

I'm sure Burfict will be suspended again.

I don't know why he was going back into the pile. He could've been intending to help up someone else in the pile, but hadn't gotten there yet to his teammate. My only thing is that there is a referee standing right there looking at it who doesn't flag Burfict, but flags Blount (for obvious reasons). Perhaps Blount did get stepped on (I don't see a stomp) and took issue with it.

Probably rightfully so, considering Burfict's history.

Either way, one has to think that Burfict's time with the Bengals or even in the NFL could be drawing short if he keeps this stuff up.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #81
cuervo72
Head Coach

While I hope for the day when the Patriots will go 2-14, every now and then I can't help but like Belichick a little bit.

Bill Belichick Is Sick Of Those Stupid Microsoft Tablets [Update]
Old 10-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #82
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The NFL's top performer in every category imaginable
Old 10-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #83
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm sure Burfict will be suspended again.

I don't know why he was going back into the pile. He could've been intending to help up someone else in the pile, but hadn't gotten there yet to his teammate. My only thing is that there is a referee standing right there looking at it who doesn't flag Burfict, but flags Blount (for obvious reasons). Perhaps Blount did get stepped on (I don't see a stomp) and took issue with it.

Probably rightfully so, considering Burfict's history.

Either way, one has to think that Burfict's time with the Bengals or even in the NFL could be drawing short if he keeps this stuff up.
Welp, apparently the NFL is back to needing conclusive evidence, and "more probable than not" is no longer the standard. Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis defends LB Vontaze Burfict after fine

(And for the record, I thought the hit on Bennett was the much more dangerous one he should've been suspended for.)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #84
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Michael Irvin thinks 'dat boy run so good'...

Michael Irvin Has Lots of Love For Ezekiel Elliott | TMZ.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote