I've read that too.. so maybe.

we'll see in about 15 minutes

SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #52
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Play in the moment will get me through the first season.. then the ST. LOUIS Chargers will take to field and I'll play them all out.

I don't care for the XP stuff either, but I believe you can focus on a weakness like CB or WR..

I'm going to change the camera view too.. way to close on default.

I really like how fast the menus are too, I hope NHL is like that this season.

Speaking of Hockey....if that game makes the advances like this game, especially on the powerplays.....I could even get back into that series again.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Speaking of Hockey....if that game makes the advances like this game, especially on the powerplays.....I could even get back into that series again.

I'm in my 4th season in NHL 16 playing all games.. I just love hockey. From what I've read I think it should be much improved, like Madden.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #54
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm in my 4th season in NHL 16 playing all games.. I just love hockey. From what I've read I think it should be much improved, like Madden.

I am hoping, they just need to get penalties right and I will be all over it
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #55
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
we'll see in about 15 minutes

Well, so far no download...kind of thought it was a glitch since I doubt they would release ahead of midnight.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah.. I did have some time left after all. Was destroyed by TB.

It's refreshing to see the CPU play an all around game. San Diego's OL is horrible - I barely have enough time to throw the ball!

I did run a kickoff back 98 yards!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-22-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #57
korme
Go Reds

Played one game, Bengals vs. Packers, on All-Pro. Got smoked, I'm glad. Letting it download the update then I'll start my first franchise trial run
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #58
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm on the fence this year...I enjoyed the trial quite a bit but I also don't feel like I have gotten $60 out of Madden in quite some time.

Hoping to learn more about how franchise holds up long term before pulling the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #59
heybrad
Norm!!!

I downloaded it for PS4 this morning and still can't play because it's showing a 7 hour install time. WTH???
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #60
bhlloy
Coordinator

Which is why I generally don't trust PS network for downloading games and always get the physical disk. Sounds like a lot of people here have better experiences but personally, whenever I've tried to use it for game downloads it's been 20+ hours and I don't trust it as far as I can't throw it
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #61
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I'm on the fence this year...I enjoyed the trial quite a bit but I also don't feel like I have gotten $60 out of Madden in quite some time.

Hoping to learn more about how franchise holds up long term before pulling the trigger.

Same here will wait for folks here to be try it out and see how franchise mode looks.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-23-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I started a new online CFM with the Chargers as the owner. Started after preseason and submitted the paperwork for relocation.

As someone who like easy to understand, straightforward menus/options, it was a breeze setting it all up.

The UI is fast, simple to understand and stuff is easy to adjust like the depth charts for example (maybe it was the same in 16?).

I set the CPU to do the XP stuff but the Game planning stage is pretty neat and only takes a 10 minutes to do. It will tell you what the current team you're playing this week likes to run/or did the previous week and then you can go in and practice preset drills (you can also change them) then you can focus on 3 players to improve, like Bosa for instance. I love that you're in and out fairly quickly.

Big moments are neat too.. for my first week it was possible roster improvements and it was easy to look at X position and then see what's out there as a possible upgrade, if any.

The game is just all laid out so well and very responsive/quick to navigate.

Your practice squat players can also be poached by other teams, so be aware!

I'm going to use play in the moment on this first season since I can't relocate until next season. Hopefully we can get a top 5 pick to go along with the move.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #63
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lost 34-10 in Week 1 vs Kansas City - Charles ran for 155

I missed 3 FG's, not that it would of mattered and I did have a nice TD run called back on a holding call.

Last quarter I did "play in the moment" - really neat how you can still see what's going on in the game and can jump in at times or skip to the next one. I love this feature and can see using it to finish up blowout games.

Default AP, 12 minute - 20 sec accel seems to be good thus far for me.

Week 2 against the Jags next up
Old 08-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #64
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I am looking to fire up a "test" CFM with the released version....want to get used to everything before the real season starts and I try and play along with it.

Need to really improve my running game with the Steelers and I don't want to change sliders to do it...trying to stay committed to default. But running outside continues to be tough, very rarely have success and even running internally I can't match what the CPU does against me. A lot of it is because of me and not reading plays correctly and calling audibles....need to pay more attention.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm on my way to that first round pick.. losing at home 16-7 against the Jags.. another missed FG (I will say this, at some point I'll get it, but it's nice to have a challenging kicking meter).

I did have a 74 yard TD to Benjamin. Injuries on default seem to be decent, penalties, I don't see many so I guess I will tweak those a tad.

St. Louis is 2-0 DAMN THEM!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #66
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
I am looking to fire up a "test" CFM with the released version....want to get used to everything before the real season starts and I try and play along with it.

Need to really improve my running game with the Steelers and I don't want to change sliders to do it...trying to stay committed to default. But running outside continues to be tough, very rarely have success and even running internally I can't match what the CPU does against me. A lot of it is because of me and not reading plays correctly and calling audibles....need to pay more attention.

Play skills trainer, run concepts. Your running game will be greatly improved.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

0-3 and we look horrible.. I don't mind though..

St. Louis 3-0 now, WTF!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #68
bhlloy
Coordinator

Thoughts after playing an exhibition on all-pro with the Rams against SF and a preseason game against the Cowboys (sorry MizzouRah). I haven't played Madden in at least 3 years and haven't played it seriously in far longer, so some of these might not be new features:

Good:
Just a fun game. Had a couple of passing plays I've never had in any football game before - a quick hook to Austin, he turned and juked the corner and went 70 yards for the score and then a pass to one of my tall rookie WR's who outjumped the corner and took it to the house. The passing game is awesome and the fact that you can actually take advantage of matchups (fast vs slow, tall vs short) I would even say so far I've found revolutionary
The presentation is really good, and although there are some things that take you out of the realism (for example still when you take a knee are winding the clock down to win, the commentators are still talking as if the game is going on ) it's vastly improved
Franchise mode seems pretty solid 1 game in. Although teams don't play as many rookies and go down the depth chart that far, they at least aren't leaving starters in the whole game in the preseason any more.

Not so good/questions:
Have played an entire game against Kaepernick and more than a half against Prescott, and not seen a QB roll out of the pocket or run once. In fact QB's just don't seem very smart against pressure, I've seen them hang on to the ball far too long in the face of the rush without trying to evade it and even seen one bad safety where Kaep just dropped into the end zone and held it for 5 seconds in the pocket
Haven't seen any injuries in two games
Run game doesn't feel massively improved to me yet, and both teams have had serious issues running the ball in both games I've played. Think the defensive line is pretty overpowered right now as my starters were in the backfield and stuffing the run 2 out of every 3 times at least. Yes, the Rams line is good but the Cowboys o-line is probably on the same level and our starters were killing their starters. Also, still far far too many times my running back gets stuck on the back of my offensive lineman or in an immovable group of players which just looks awful.

I guess the good news is that all of the above is in theory controllable via sliders, but wanted to get my early thoughts up. Lot of people raving about the run game so either I've been unlucky or I'm missing something

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-24-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #69
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just in my last game, Taylor from the bills had a number of plays scrambling and running with the ball but he is probably the only team I played so far that I would expect it. As for cpu running game, I have seen it pretty strong and had good games against me. But I am sure part of what I see might be my skill level in madden, may not be as good as others. Plus may be the team I play that primarily uses a 3-4 defense that may give up more run yardage. However, haven't really got my own running game going yet, but likely user error there too
Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #70
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I still have a few hours left with the trial version. Tried to get some offense out of the CPU so I played the Patriots only to find out that Brady wasn't the starter. As the Packers I was up 21-0 in the 1st quarter before quitting.

Then I went against the Steelers, I was the Bengals. Big Ben was very mobile in the pocket stepping up away from pressure, scrambling to his left and right to get away before throwing down field. I won 24-14. This is my 3rd full game I've played and also the highest score I have allowed since then.

On default All-Pro is anyone getting a good offensive attack from the CPU? I'm basically seeing no running game at all.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #71
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Yes, I am using default all pro and seeing both good running and passing attack by the cpu. Lost games as well. Likely has to do with player skill, wouldn't couldn't myself any sort of guru.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #72
korme
Go Reds

My biggest issue with default all-pro is passing seems too easy. Been playing with the Bears and Alshon Jeffery beats his man for deep balls often. I think my top four receivers all average over 25 YPC. Need to do something about that.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #73
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm not all that good either and I'm probably more of a liability on the defensive side of the ball. I think the running game just needs a bit of a boost, seems most of the games I have seen less than 2 ypc from the CPU.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #74
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just couple games in, but a lot of fun. Playing All-Pro slow, minor slider tweaks, but getting a pretty solid experience.

The animations are better than they have ever been IMO, still some gamey warping here and there, but very smooth overall.

Zone coverage is SOOOOOO much better, it is actually a joy to watch defenders react as receivers enter their area of responsibility. The running game is much better as well in terms of blocking. Playing as the Vikings AP performs very much like he does in RL. 2 yards, 4 yards, 1 yard, then busts a 43 yard run. My only complaint here is the CPU backs don't seem very decisive when they hit the hole. Will have to watch this more.

The new kicking meter is a nice touch and commentary is much more immersive than it ever has been before.

Will echo the thoughts on QB's, especially mobile ones not moving around effectively in the pocket, but it is a small sample size and I have only faced Cutler and RGIII.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #75
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

On default All-Pro is anyone getting a good offensive attack from the CPU? I'm basically seeing no running game at all.

I set run blocking to 65 for CPU, the running lanes look good now, but not seeing very much aggression from the CPU running back in terms of pressing the hole.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

RGIII ran on me.. I was trying to send him into retirement but couldn't catch him.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #77
korme
Go Reds

Relocating Jacksonville to Toronto and trying an empty cupboard
Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #78
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Playing my first game in franchise as the Dolphins vs Seattle. Big kick return for Seattle sets them up around the 50. 3 and out and they try a fake punt. First time I can think of where the CPU called a fake.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #79
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Playing my first game in franchise as the Dolphins vs Seattle. Big kick return for Seattle sets them up around the 50. 3 and out and they try a fake punt. First time I can think of where the CPU called a fake.

That's awesome. Is that on Allrpo with default setitngs?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Relocating Jacksonville to Toronto and trying an empty cupboard

Nice!

I'm going to fly through this first season so the Chargers can come home to St. Louis!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #81
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Nice!

I'm going to fly through this first season so the Chargers can come home to St. Louis!

Don't you want the Cardinals back?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

Was playing at lunch and the commentary mentioned how a lot of these guys complain about their Madden ratings, then went on the reference that this was release week. Small touch, but cool.

Just beat GB 40-34 in OT, Rodgers picked me apart and Peterson ran for 150, again hitting short runs for pedestrian gains and ripping off two long runs. Sacks were good on both ends and had a forced fumble on a huge hit by the safety, also had a pass intended for Kyle Rudolph deflected and Stefon Diggs made a diving catch of the defection. This years release really feels like a new game and not just the same game with tweaks.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #83
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Thoughts after playing an exhibition on all-pro with the Rams against SF and a preseason game against the Cowboys (sorry MizzouRah). I haven't played Madden in at least 3 years and haven't played it seriously in far longer, so some of these might not be new features:

Good:
Just a fun game. Had a couple of passing plays I've never had in any football game before - a quick hook to Austin, he turned and juked the corner and went 70 yards for the score and then a pass to one of my tall rookie WR's who outjumped the corner and took it to the house. The passing game is awesome and the fact that you can actually take advantage of matchups (fast vs slow, tall vs short) I would even say so far I've found revolutionary
The presentation is really good, and although there are some things that take you out of the realism (for example still when you take a knee are winding the clock down to win, the commentators are still talking as if the game is going on ) it's vastly improved
Franchise mode seems pretty solid 1 game in. Although teams don't play as many rookies and go down the depth chart that far, they at least aren't leaving starters in the whole game in the preseason any more.

Not so good/questions:
Have played an entire game against Kaepernick and more than a half against Prescott, and not seen a QB roll out of the pocket or run once. In fact QB's just don't seem very smart against pressure, I've seen them hang on to the ball far too long in the face of the rush without trying to evade it and even seen one bad safety where Kaep just dropped into the end zone and held it for 5 seconds in the pocket
Haven't seen any injuries in two games
Run game doesn't feel massively improved to me yet, and both teams have had serious issues running the ball in both games I've played. Think the defensive line is pretty overpowered right now as my starters were in the backfield and stuffing the run 2 out of every 3 times at least. Yes, the Rams line is good but the Cowboys o-line is probably on the same level and our starters were killing their starters. Also, still far far too many times my running back gets stuck on the back of my offensive lineman or in an immovable group of players which just looks awful.

I guess the good news is that all of the above is in theory controllable via sliders, but wanted to get my early thoughts up. Lot of people raving about the run game so either I've been unlucky or I'm missing something

Mario Running. Something that was FIXED in the NFL 2K series over a decade ago. I'm not an anti Madden ranter. Up until this year, I held my nose and bought it and just accepted the flaws that came with it. But a review like that and watching some streams has shown me EA still doesn't get it. Guys running straight out of bounds. QB's too accurate without a lot of difference between them. QB's not running or acting like they should. Mario running. . . . I guess I've grown old and bitter.

This isn't a rant on anyone enjoying the game. I've played a ton of MLB the Show this year and; there are MANY things that game doesn't get right. But I can't remember any of those being fixed for the genre over a decade ago.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #84
bhlloy
Coordinator

Interestingly, the issue with QB's not scrambling and just standing there to be sacked sounds like a bug or issue with the trial version of the game, and I'm guessing that it was also present in the disc version. So that might explain some of the disparity in what I'm seeing vs people who got the download and latest patch.

Hopefully that particular aspect of the game looks better tonight.

In the disappointing to hear corner, sounds like teams keep their best ranked players at each position with no regard to age, so usually end up cutting nearly all of their drafted rookies every offseason. Hopefully that is something that they can fix but I am not holding my breath waiting for EA to make a fix for something like this. I also wish potential was a rating rather than the superstar...normal....slow range. Right now with default rosters seems like every team has one superstar and everyone else has the same potential, which is stupid
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #85
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I can completely understand why people are hesitant with the Madden series (along with all other EA series) since typically it doesn't scratch the itch of serious football players who want a true sim. By no means is this year's version perfect, but does seem like the best version in a while and hopefully a sign of things to come. Since everyone has a different play style with different expectations, its not surprising to see some folks enjoying it, while others not.

I have seen running QBs, CPU offense/defense reasonably tough, and at the same time my running game lacking and my passing game not too great. I win some and I lose some as I would expect. But at the same time, most of that is because I am not great at these types of games and likely never will be. I am not also a huge franchise person....although I love playing a season, I am a one and done person....don't play many seasons in a row. In fact, I wish there was a mode to eliminate all the progressions, XP, practice etc. and just play the games.

Although I was not originally going to purchase and wasn't even hyped about it, have to admit enjoying it for what it is and don't regret the purchase. Getting updated teams, players, rules, etc. is a plus even if they don't improve it much.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Don't you want the Cardinals back?

That would be kind of neat.. but the Chargers are a good team to rebuild I think as well as have one of the worst stadiums in the NFL.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #87
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Von Miller commercial is pure gold.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #88
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Think the defensive line is pretty overpowered right now as my starters were in the backfield and stuffing the run 2 out of every 3 times at least.

Welcome to Madden. Blocking has always been a joke and very unrealistic. One way EA makes the game more "difficult" is by just making the defensive line ridiculous and/or make the offensive line play like high schoolers.

There are tons of videos on youtube comparing blocking in Madden games to 2K's 2k5 and 2k8 and the latter wipes the floor. One thing I love about 2K is how realistic playing as the quarterback feels.

Last edited by wustin : 08-24-2016 at 09:09 PM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've had backs run all over me more for 100 yards than don't. Maybe I suck, maybe the Chargers suck, but the CPU has been much improved in this area.

This is hands down the best Madden I've played in a VERY LONG TIME.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:53 AM   #90
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm afraid after a few more games, I'm not that high on this game. It might be the best Madden in a very long time, but I'm not convinced it's that high a bar

For some reason, I still have QB's who hold the ball in the pocket for 7 seconds and take a sack and I haven't seen a single QB try and scramble on me. I appreciate other people are seeing other things, but that's just what I've seen through 5 full games.
The running game is still just bad for me. Massively disappointing as this was the thing I was really sold would finally be improved, but I still see the same old issues. Running backs still feel like they are on skates, and getting stuck on blockers or on other players.
The pass game is fun, but still some of the old bugs remain. Miraculous middle linebackers who knock down a pass despite running the opposite way in man coverage. Receivers inexplicably not even trying to get feet in bounds despite hitting the "correct" button on a key play when they easily could.

Just my honest opinion. It's a fine game, but I do feel pretty disappointed given the hype. I guess I'm the sucker again, after so many years.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #91
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
That's awesome. Is that on Allrpo with default setitngs?

Yep.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 AM   #92
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I've had backs run all over me more for 100 yards than don't. Maybe I suck, maybe the Chargers suck, but the CPU has been much improved in this area.

This is hands down the best Madden I've played in a VERY LONG TIME.

I am seeing the same kind of stuff. It was nice to see they have kept their promise so far of updating the commentary weekly...got new one yesterday which keeps things fresh. I agree it's the best version in awhile and takes steps forward which made it a purchase for me, if anyone thought the new version would completely turn around the game series, then that is a little unrealistic in one version but shows promise for the future. I totally get some people not liking it based on their own expectations, but I see potential that likely will still see some minor improvements in patch updates.

Either way, it's my job to get the steelers to the super bowl
Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #93
Kodos
Resident Alien

Was able to get a game in last night. I played with the Falcons against the Jets, and won 16-13 on a field goal in overtime. I like how it plays. I prefer the playcalling screens in NCAA 2014, but in general, I'm happy with what I've seen so far. Commentary seems to be much improved. I like the kick meter. Some of the passing mechanics seem a little overcomplicated, but not too bad. Still finding the right camera and game speed. I think I like Slow so far.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #94
Galaril
Pro Starter

So guess if it is a choice between a discounted cheap Madden 2016 or this one 2017 it's 2017? Most of the reviews make it sound like it is basically 2016 without Phil Simms and Nantz and maybe better running?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #95
Icy
Pro Starter

Knowing that the supersim is fixed finally, how fun is it if i'm mainly interested on a "RTTS like" mode?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #96
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
So guess if it is a choice between a discounted cheap Madden 2016 or this one 2017 it's 2017? Most of the reviews make it sound like it is basically 2016 without Phil Simms and Nantz and maybe better running?

Some of the things that make me want to play it over 2016

- Improved special teams
- Improved running (although maybe not perfect)
- CPU seems more competent
- Defense seems to play better
- Play in the moment feature
- Simming games seems more realistic; haven't seen any crazy stats yet
- Commentary (the fact its updated every week)
- Updated teams and rules
- Presentation is improved (i.e. overlays during the game)
- etc.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #97
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks Sly. I folded and picked it upon the way home. I traded a copy of Fallout 4 that was collecting dust so got it for $40.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #98
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks Sly. I folded and picked it upon the way home. I traded a copy of Fallout 4 that was collecting dust so got it for $40.

Welcome to the club...look forward to your impressions.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #99
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I know some people mentioned not seeing QB scramble and such...over at the OS forums, people are saying if you either hard reset or uninstall/reinstall your game...then make sure you have latest tuner, it somehow corrects the issue.....seems odd, but multiple people reporting some success.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #100
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know some people mentioned not seeing QB scramble and such...over at the OS forums, people are saying if you either hard reset or uninstall/reinstall your game...then make sure you have latest tuner, it somehow corrects the issue.....seems odd, but multiple people reporting some success.

What is the "latest tuner"?

Last edited by Galaril : 08-25-2016 at 08:21 PM.