Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #51
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Interestingly, Vox.com just pointed out, that if you want to listen to some Prince and don't have his albums, the only streaming service that has his albums are... Tidal.

That's unfortunate.

Well, shit.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #52
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I guess I need to listen to more of his music because I'm not understanding the reaction across the Internet. Must have missed the boat on him.
I think he peaked in the stretch from 1999 through Sign o' the Times, but what a peak. Purple Rain is brilliant from start to finish, and while the rest aren't quite that consistent, there's a huge number of amazing high points.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #53
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess I need to listen to more of his music because I'm not understanding the reaction across the Internet. Must have missed the boat on him.

I'm just ribbin' you, and it's not that you have to like him or his music, but it seems like you'd really have to actively avoid the boat to miss Prince's significance. He had 39 records! Wrote and performed most of the parts of each one. Sold more than Bob Dylan, The Who, David Bowie or the Beach Boys. He starred in 4 movies! He changed his name to a symbol! He played the Super Bowl! You missed all of that?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #54
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm just ribbin' you, and it's not that you have to like him or his music, but it seems like you'd really have to actively avoid the boat to miss Prince's significance. He had 39 records! Wrote and performed most of the parts of each one. Sold more than Bob Dylan, The Who, David Bowie or the Beach Boys. He starred in 4 movies! He changed his name to a symbol! He played the Super Bowl! You missed all of that?

Not all of it. I really didn't realize he has that kind of presence. His music is certainly not my type of music but I think in general I lost track of him while in college from mid 90s to late 90s. Never really picked back up on it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #55
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #56
Buccaneer
Head Coach

RIP to a genius.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #57
Dutch
"Dutch"

A great musical talent. Sad to see him gone. RIP.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #58
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

He was an incredibly influential performer AND writer. Even if you put his own stuff aside, don't forget "Manic Monday" by the Bangles, "Glamorous Life" by Sheila E, or "Nothing Compares 2 U" (which Sinead O'Conner took to an incredible level with that performance). He wrote them all.

He was a genre-blending androgynous weirdo, and I mean that in the most positive sense possible. The world needs more artists like this.

I find some deaths like this strangely affecting. I think there is a big part of me that realizes that in a cultural sense I simply take the existence of some people for granted. I felt the same way when Bowie died. It prompts a surprisingly introspective phase where it sort of really drives home the concept of mortality. Because some people seem beyond death. It seems too petty for them.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #59
Lonnie
High School Varsity

As a guitar player I know the genius of Prince. I find it amazing that as a pop star he still slung that guitar around him and played with the band when many others chose to just stick to the microphone or limp syncing. His love for music drove him to play 1000s of instruments (his own words.)

Although I did not follow him in recent years, like all recently deceased great artist I will pay homage by trying to dig through the catalog as limited as it may be to streaming services. Imagine the money his heirs would have made this week if he was on Spotify.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #60
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very sad news, many are called legends, few deserve it. He deserves it! Rest easy.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #61
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not all of it. I really didn't realize he has that kind of presence. His music is certainly not my type of music but I think in general I lost track of him while in college from mid 90s to late 90s. Never really picked back up on it.

In your defense, he really didn't do anything of massive significance after that (though he was seemingly always releasing relatively well-regarded material) so I suppose I could see him settling in your cultural blind spot. On the other hand he was already pretty well established by then....I think you really had to be actively avoiding him if you somehow made it through the '80s without noticing Prince. Were you one of those handful of '80s kids who were denied MTV? I think you can sue your parents for that now.

That clip of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" stands as a good indicator of not just Prince's talent, but his cultural/musical significance. That stage is full of musical giants, after the death of a freaking BEATLE, but even surrounded by George Harrison's closest friends and family everybody on that stage takes a step backward to give Prince the clean-up spot, and expects him to hit the walk-off homer, which he does.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #62
nol
Banned

Such a legend that he had MTV playing music videos again today.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:29 AM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

One of the coolest things I know about Prince was from around 5 years ago. He was in LA working on an album or just between tours or maybe just hanging out. He decided to just rent out the Forum one night, and invited anyone who wanted to come see him play for free. And then he did it the next night. And the next. I think he did this for maybe three weeks or more. I was not a big Prince fan so I didn't go. I ended up regretting not taking that opportunity.

He just really loved creating music. RIP

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-22-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #64
Groundhog
Coordinator

Prince was similar to Bowie for me in that I always felt like I should really dig his music, but didn't. I don't not like it, I just wouldn't ever seek it out.

I can appreciate the fact that he was a musical genius, though.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #65
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
In your defense, he really didn't do anything of massive significance after that (though he was seemingly always releasing relatively well-regarded material) so I suppose I could see him settling in your cultural blind spot. On the other hand he was already pretty well established by then....I think you really had to be actively avoiding him if you somehow made it through the '80s without noticing Prince. Were you one of those handful of '80s kids who were denied MTV? I think you can sue your parents for that now.

That clip of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" stands as a good indicator of not just Prince's talent, but his cultural/musical significance. That stage is full of musical giants, after the death of a freaking BEATLE, but even surrounded by George Harrison's closest friends and family everybody on that stage takes a step backward to give Prince the clean-up spot, and expects him to hit the walk-off homer, which he does.

I know all of his 80s and early 90s stuff pretty well. I guess at that age, you never think about how big of a musician somebody is. My first "favorite song" as a kid was "Raspberry Beret." Had absolutely no clue what it was about at the time. Just a young kid who thought the song was catchy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #66
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
One of the coolest things I know about Prince was from around 5 years ago. He was in LA working on an album or just between tours or maybe just hanging out. He decided to just rent out the Forum one night, and invited anyone who wanted to come see him play for free. And then he did it the next night. And the next. I think he did this for maybe three weeks or more. I was not a big Prince fan so I didn't go. I ended up regretting not taking that opportunity.

He just really loved creating music. RIP

I don't know that they were free, but he was there for 21 days.

Prince Kicks Off 21-Concert Residency With Epic Three-Hour Show | Rolling Stone

Also, for those of you that have satellite radio, SXM Ch. 50 is all Prince, pretty heavy on his 80's stuff right now.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #67
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Such a legend that he had MTV playing music videos again today.

I guess they are pretty out of practice:

MTV Accidentally Adds Fresh Prince Video To All-Day Marathon
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #68
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #69
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Google Purple Eiffel Tower for a pretty great shot also.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #70
Schmidty
Coordinator

I don't know if this should be embarrassing, but I probably listened to the Batman soundtrack 1,000 when I was 14.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #71
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

It looks like it may be a drug overdose. I guess that is really not a surprise though. That's too bad.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #72
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
It looks like it may be a drug overdose. I guess that is really not a surprise though. That's too bad.

Unfortunate but not surprising.

I did wear my purple shirt today in his honor.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #73
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I'm honestly not entirely sure I realized just how badass Prince was on the guitar until I watched that.

He throws the guitar skyward and... it never comes down!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #74
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
He throws the guitar skyward and... it never comes down!

That guitar is now known as Voyager 3.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #75
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #76
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I don't know if this should be embarrassing, but I probably listened to the Batman soundtrack 1,000 when I was 14.

Not embarrassing at all, I did the same.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #77
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

This deserves more love.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #78
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Not embarrassing at all, I did the same.

It was one of my favorite tapes.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #79
Butter
Coordinator

"Batdance" was one of my favorite songs of that year as a 14 year old.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #80
rjolley
College Starter

Very shocked to hear the news yesterday. Talked with my wife and one of my best friends quite a bit about it. Lots of reminiscing about various songs and related memories, which reminded me just how integrated into my younger years Prince's music was.

A group of us, back when we were teenagers, were huge fans. Knew all of the popular songs. And I, for one, owned all of the full releases from Purple Rain until Sign O the Times, and a few after that. Hadn't followed his music much in the last 5-10 years, but always sang along when a Prince tune from back in the day came on.

Hope a posthumous album or two from his vault comes out over the next few years.

Time to watch Purple Rain and Under the Cherry Moon.

Last edited by rjolley : 04-22-2016 at 03:21 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #81
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Best line I've seen from a friend on facebook (probably stolen):

"They found Prince in an elevator. He had punched the higher floor."
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #82
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Very shocked to hear the news yesterday. Talked with my wife and one of my best friends quite a bit about it. Lots of reminiscing about various songs and related memories, which reminded me just how integrated into my younger years Prince's music was.

A group of us, back when we were teenagers, were huge fans. Knew all of the popular songs. And I, for one, owned all of the full releases from Purple Rain until Sign O the Times, and a few after that. Hadn't followed his music much in the last 5-10 years, but always sang along when a Prince tune from back in the day came on.

Hope a posthumous album or two from his vault come out over the next few years.

Time to watch Purple Rain and Under the Cherry Moon.

I checked last night and found 9 Prince CD's and know I'm missing 3 others so I guess you can say I had a lot of them.

I expect the over under on Prince CD's coming out posthumous would be around 5 as supposedly there is a ton of stuff that was recorded and new released.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #83
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I checked last night and found 9 Prince CD's and know I'm missing 3 others so I guess you can say I had a lot of them.

I expect the over under on Prince CD's coming out posthumous would be around 5 as supposedly there is a ton of stuff that was recorded and new released.

Yeah, heard a rumor multiple times over the years about Prince having enough completed material to release an album a year for the next 10-20 years if he never recorded anything else from that point. One of his albums a few years ago supposedly was from said stash. Probably an urban legend, but would be kool if he did.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #84
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Yeah, heard a rumor multiple times over the years about Prince having enough completed material to release an album a year for the next 10-20 years if he never recorded anything else from that point. One of his albums a few years ago supposedly was from said stash. Probably an urban legend, but would be kool if he did.

Nope. The people close to him say there are more than 800 songs, ready to release. One of the girls he works with said she worked with him on over 50 music videos, that have been fully completed, on songs that he has never released.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #85
digamma
Torchbearer

The Current, a Minneapolis radio station, is starting a broadcast of Prince's full catalogue in alphabetical order at 6:00 central time.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Three days before Prince’s shocking death, Blind Gossip put up a story about a very popular black celebrity who has AIDS. The blind item stated the star contracted the virus in the 90s but kept it a secret while taking his medication. The virus was undetectable during that time.

However, two years ago, he stopped taking his medication as he and the people around him told him God had cured him. Turns out that wasn’t the case. Not at all. The virus took over and “doctors say he’s dying and there is nothing anyone can do about it.” The celeb was expected to pass by summer

Probably BS but interesting timing that the story came out 3 days before he died. I suppose I should check snopes.

Eric Clapton's Prince : snopes.com

also that was from earlier in the thread.

From 4/16

http://mediatakeout.com/301361/shock...ll-avkage.html

Last edited by stevew : 04-22-2016 at 04:57 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #87
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Also, for those of you that have satellite radio, SXM Ch. 50 is all Prince, pretty heavy on his 80's stuff right now.

This was initially supposed to run through the weekend, but now it's scheduled to run for the next week, until Friday morning.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #88
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Probably BS but interesting timing that the story came out 3 days before he died. I suppose I should check snopes.

Eric Clapton's Prince : snopes.com

also that was from earlier in the thread.

From 4/16

MediaTakeOut.com™ 2014

Wow

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #89
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

MediaTakeOut.com™ 2014

What I was seeing was that he'd had some hip issues for a while, but as a Jehovah's Witness he was not able to get a hip replacement (due to it requiring a blood transfusion) and he may have turned to self-medication in order to deal with the pain. In both cases, it seems like a possible Steve Jobs type of situation where alternative beliefs resulted in the rejection of life-extending medical treatment.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #90
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Man I'm listening to the Very Best of Prince album - kinda forgot just how good some of those songs are.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #91
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Prince was similar to Bowie for me in that I always felt like I should really dig his music, but didn't. I don't not like it, I just wouldn't ever seek it out.

I can appreciate the fact that he was a musical genius, though.

I feel this exact same way. Recognize the musical genius. Recognize the status as cultural icon.

Didn't actually like any of the music except in a "wouldn't turn the radio off if he came on, but would definitely be waiting for the next song" sort of way.

From that remove, all of the outpourings of loss on my Facebook are a little bewildering to me, even though I understand that it's mostly mourning our own mortality because a piece of "us" has died.

I guess my Prince moment will be when someone like Bono dies. Or one of the guys from the original Guns and Roses lineu...dammit.

ETA: I'm not trying to take anything away from grieving Prince fans. This just seemed like the only place I could say something like that without having my lungs ripped out by hysterics.

Last edited by Drake : 04-24-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #92
PilotMan
Head Coach

If that's all you felt then fine, however he was more than just songs and fashion. He was the complete musical package. From incredible musician to writer to producer. It's the pure musical talent that cements his legacy though. Nothing else he did holds a candle to that ability. Like the iceberg, the best was not necessarily what you saw.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #93
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think Bowie and Prince are both getting an extra helping of an emotion with their mourning because we almost took them for granted at this point in their lives/careers, and their passing caused folks to go revisit & re-evaluate some special moments/songs that they hadn't necessarily yet marked as significant. They're breadth of material, and similarly shifting personas also could lead to people with fresh/significant memories from one era, and other sets of memories that they hadn't considered for a while. Lots of folks of similar cultural stature (or even greater) we're either so prepared for them to die, or so saturated by their material, that I might not feel compelled to revisit or re-evaluate all that much, and the emotional effect will be a lot less.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-24-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #94
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If that's all you felt then fine, however he was more than just songs and fashion. He was the complete musical package. From incredible musician to writer to producer. It's the pure musical talent that cements his legacy though. Nothing else he did holds a candle to that ability. Like the iceberg, the best was not necessarily what you saw.

When MJ died people asked me why I wasn't emotional and my answer was wait until Prince or Madonna dies because those two will probably be bigger to my age bracket. I think if you are 35 or below, you probably missed out on Prince at his best.

What kills me is all the people on the radio saying how various songs changed/molded their life and I keep wondering if someone should tell them to listen to the lyrics a little closer.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #95
Alf
Pro Starter

Now, I was a suprised, but not shocked. Rock stars and early death are not that uncommon.

ON a more personnal note, I find it sad that one of the only songs from my cover band playlist from a living artist (Kiss) now has to switch to the dead artists category. *shrug*
Old 04-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #96
digamma
Torchbearer

Comprehensive list of Prince coverage from the MSP Star Tribute.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #97
Butter
Coordinator

I probably watched like 6 hours of Prince videos this weekend from the various MTV outlets. So many great songs, many that I barely remembered or hadn't even heard before.

"Mountains"
"7"
"Take Me With U"
"Black Sweat"

Late Saturday night, VH1 showed the "long version" of a live concert video where he performed "I Would Die 4 U" and "Baby I'm a Star"... and Baby I'm a Star literally goes on for like 15 minutes. He just goes nuts and has Sheila E. do something like 4 drum solos... at some point, he takes a scarf off and literally rips his shirt open... you can just see the buttons flying off. Prowls the stage for this whole jam session before finally ending it after 20 minutes. It was amazing... Makes me sad I never saw him live.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #98
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Makes me sad I never saw him live.

That was one of the biggest takeaways for me....I wrestled with seeing him every time he came around but always found a reason not to go (it was certainly never cheap!). There's lots of truly classic acts still touring around these days, where going to see them live would allow me to check off a box, and might provide with me some magic nostalgic moments, but are never going to be truly transcendent musically just due to age (or playing the same catalog for 30+ years), whereas I feel like if I had caught a Prince show even last week/month/year I still would've had a chance to see something profound.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #99
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was fortunate to see him waaaay back in the 80's. But damn, I can barely remember it...
Old 04-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #100
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to need to find a copy of the Sign o' the Times concert film - I have a feeling that was the peak of Prince as a live performer before his hip issues started forcing him to dial back the acrobatics.