Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2003, 05:21 PM   #51
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think I'd agree with you... with the background knowledge that generally speaking, anything above $8,000 or so is very likely to get you into the semifinals (recall, 9 out of 15 make it). I think the bets you suggest make sense to me... I don't think I'd chance it if I were C ($7,400 is probably too low) and therefore I'd bet it all in that position.

Yes, in the particular case of a first round TOC match (and your setup is correct, by the way) the proper course gets very different.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:55 AM   #52
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I think I'd agree with you... with the background knowledge that generally speaking, anything above $8,000 or so is very likely to get you into the semifinals (recall, 9 out of 15 make it). I think the bets you suggest make sense to me... I don't think I'd chance it if I were C ($7,400 is probably too low) and therefore I'd bet it all in that position.

Yes, in the particular case of a first round TOC match (and your setup is correct, by the way) the proper course gets very different.

You know what I find funny about this? I bet you could have said the same thing before they doubled the dollar amounts - $8k or so will get you to the semis. Is it me, or have the dollar amounts for the winners been less than 2 times what they were before (on average) they doubled the money?
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #53
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think you're right... the new dollar amounts have caused the play to get a little more conservative - things have not doubled dollar for dollar, I agree.

I'm not sure I'd have set the level at $8,000 before... mabe $5,000. But that's a wild guess, both on the before and after.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:21 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, to rekindle this thread with a different slant, on last night's Jeopardy! there was a pretty interesting finish.

The FJ question asked (paraphrasing here) for the modern term for a phenomenon derived from a latin (I think) word algus, with a little setting information. The word they wanted was "nostalgia."

Two finalists mised it, and the last guy (who had been in the lead anyway) answered "nostaglia" (misspelled).

Alex, apparently without hesitation, said that because they were given the root word, that the spelling of that term was important - and they ruled his answer incorrect.

Fortunately, the guy won the evening anyway... but the harsh ruling on his misspelling cost him almost $15,000, as he wagered $7,401 on the question. Ouch.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #55
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wonder if the contestants were warned in advance, considering spelling normally doesn't count in final jeopardy?