Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #51
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Watkins and Nuk Hopkins taken last year by the Texans are two good stories. Both came from really really bad places. And it looks very good for both to change their life.

I remember interviewing Watkins before he ever played a college snap and asking why he came to Clemson when all the suitors in FL were calling and he was a South Florida boy. His response gives me chills to this day.

"Ive buried 3 close friends and before I am done at Clemson will probably bury 1 or 2 more. Shit was everywhere back home. If I want to not only change my life, but my kids lives and my grand kids lives...you know make the Watkins family proud society figures for generations I had to get away from that trash. It feels like just being here I have accomplished my dreams, but I ahve done jack yet. But I will. Watch and tell everyone I told you.

I reminded him of that last time we spoke. He smiled and said, "Man I still aint done jack...you gonna interview me on media day of the Super Bowl when I make it?"

I'm a big Sammy fan and not because he came from Clemson. I am a fan of the man and the person he has become. He will make some team proud.

Watkins is the guy I want at #5 before reading this.

Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #52
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting of the players mentioned they all went to LSU or FSU. That's 5 of the 10.

2014 NFL draft -- Zach Mettenberger's combine urine sample diluted - ESPN
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #53
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Man, it's not hard to stop smoking weed. These players are retarded.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #54
molson
General Manager

I'd kind of like an IQ test that's maybe more valuable than the wonderlic. If you just can't stop smoking marijuana even though you know it could damage your career (the only career you have any qualifications for), you are probably barely operating at an adult level mentally and are prone to all kinds of bad judgment calls.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #55
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If Bridgewater's there, I'm not sure the Patriots are interested in trading down. Now I'd still prefer a Hageman, Nix or Shazier, but if we're picking Bridgewater as a future QB and not just some random QB like Savage or Garoppollo I'd take it.

Having watched Hageman the last few years I don't like him in round one. He's amazing physically but he disappeared way to frequently during games and didn't have the production to match his size and strength.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants projected to grab Eric Ebron. He would be a nice safety valve for Eli in the passanig game but there is something weird to me about taking a TE with an early first round pick.

I still think Austin Seferian-Jenkins is going to be the better player of the 2.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Interesting of the players mentioned they all went to LSU or FSU. That's 5 of the 10.

2014 NFL draft -- Zach Mettenberger's combine urine sample diluted - ESPN

Good judgment ain't never been Mettenberger's trademark, this would not be a huge surprise to me.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #58
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Giants projected to grab Eric Ebron. He would be a nice safety valve for Eli in the passanig game but there is something weird to me about taking a TE with an early first round pick.

I still think Austin Seferian-Jenkins is going to be the better player of the 2.
I've seen some mocks with them going Zack Martin. Not the most interesting of picks but I can't say I'd be disappointed by it.

As much as Ebron would be nice to have, I think keeping Eli upright and getting back to winning the LoS should be the priority (followed by getting pressure on opposing QBs). And guys like Ebron (famous last words) always seem nice & explosive coming out, only to kinda sink into being "just ok" or mediocre.

I know I'll probably get the "this guy is different" line, and thats fine if he is, but the safest & biggest need to me is winning the LoS again...which is what we've always done when we've been most successful.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

Giants need to invest in the OL and LBs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #60
Travis
Pro Rookie

Very Seahawk draft centric article, but I love the information and the way it's presented.

NFL Draft 2014: Seahawks Horizonal Draft Matrix

If you're not overly interested in their explanation behind the project/how it applies to the Seahawks and just want to see how they're grading guys in the draft, just scroll down and click on the link for the matrix just over halfway down the page.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

As far as Eric Ebron goes, he can't block for shit and what I'm hearing, at least from the talking heads on the TV, is that he's immature and high maintenance. I'd be weary about having another Jeremy Shockey.

I'd like the Giants to take Aaron Donald if he's still there at 12. They need help at DT, but the big question mark with Donald is that he's undersized for a DT. Their OL was dreadful last year so they'll probably go there. I can also see them taking Mike Evans, but I doubt he'd still be there at 12.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Supposedly has major issues with his makeup. Basically numerous teams said "fuck this guy" after his combine issues.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #63
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Supposedly has major issues with his makeup. Basically numerous teams said "fuck this guy" after his combine issues.
Still less of a risk than Colt Lyerla! Then again, Lyerla will probably go 7th round/UDFA and ASJ in the 2nd.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #64
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
As far as Eric Ebron goes, he can't block for shit and what I'm hearing, at least from the talking heads on the TV, is that he's immature and high maintenance. I'd be weary about having another Jeremy Shockey.

I'd like the Giants to take Aaron Donald if he's still there at 12. They need help at DT, but the big question mark with Donald is that he's undersized for a DT. Their OL was dreadful last year so they'll probably go there. I can also see them taking Mike Evans, but I doubt he'd still be there at 12.
Agree on not needing a head case. The only time a head case is good is when the team is utterly terrible to the point that the head case IS the entertainment. We aren't that bad of a team.

I've been wondering about Donald myself. Are they making comparisons to somebody like Sapp? Sapp was a girthy dude but he's no giant (no pun intended) of a man either at about 6'0"-6'1". Pressure up the middle is really disruptive (see Tuck during that 2007 run) if you can find the right guy.

Gotta research that guy a bit more now.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #65
bhlloy
Coordinator

I really like Donald as a prospect - physical freak with the stats in a decent conference to back it up (most TFL in the nation and double digit sacks). He'll be a stud in a 4-3 defence
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #66
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Still less of a risk than Colt Lyerla! Then again, Lyerla will probably go 7th round/UDFA and ASJ in the 2nd.

Man, if Lyerla wasn't a dumbass he could be awesome.

FUCK EA
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #67
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Agree on not needing a head case. The only time a head case is good is when the team is utterly terrible to the point that the head case IS the entertainment. We aren't that bad of a team.

I've been wondering about Donald myself. Are they making comparisons to somebody like Sapp? Sapp was a girthy dude but he's no giant (no pun intended) of a man either at about 6'0"-6'1". Pressure up the middle is really disruptive (see Tuck during that 2007 run) if you can find the right guy.

The comparison they're making with Donald is Geno Atkins. Almost identical build, but Donald is a bit quicker I think. That can only be a good thing.

FUCK EA
Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #68
bhlloy
Coordinator

FWIW, very few mock drafts now have Donald lasting until the Giants. I think he's a sure fire top 10 pick at this point.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #69
Logan
Head Coach

Always love these types of articles:

Inside a war room during the NFL Draft | The MMQB with Peter King

Quote:
• And my favorite story: I once told a player we would sign him for a $500 bonus. His answer was, and I quote: “Well, I only have about $100 now, but I can get you the rest in about a week.” “No,” I answered, “We pay you.”
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #70
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I really like Donald as a prospect - physical freak with the stats in a decent conference to back it up (most TFL in the nation and double digit sacks). He'll be a stud in a 4-3 defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The comparison they're making with Donald is Geno Atkins. Almost identical build, but Donald is a bit quicker I think. That can only be a good thing.

Watching him at Pitt it was hard to get a read. On one hand, teams knew they had to block him, and still couldn't. But, he played most of the year at about 270, no way he'd be able to get away with that in the NFL. Plenty of guy dominated in college and could never make the transition.

He's certainly benefiting from entering the NFL at the right time. Much like Atkins went in the 4th(?) round, Donald probably gets passed by 6 or so years ago, because he wouldn't be big enough to hold up vs the run (in the scouts eyes). Now, nobody cares about stopping the run if you can pressure the QB.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I loved this one during the undrafted signing scramble:

Quote:
In the 2003 post-draft chaos, one of our scouts yelled out, “Anyone want to sign this quarterback Romo? He’s from Wisconsin.” Crickets.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #72
Butter
Coordinator

If you can get through Yahoo's general awfulness, this was a nice story...

NFL draft prospect Teddy Bridgewater gives cancer-surviving mom a pink Cadillac Escalade | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports
Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #73
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Maybe I am cranky, but I look at that as really irresponsible. He is far from guarenteed a huge payday and this doesnt seem like the smartest purchase to make before he has even been picked.

I get the agent fronts him the money, etc...but based off a quick search the first pick in round 2 would get a signing bonus of just over 2 million, after agents and taxes that doesnt leave him a ton left over.

Nice gesture and I like the meaning behind it, maybe just not the best time to do it.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #74
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe I am cranky,

Maybe?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Maybe I am cranky, but I look at that as really irresponsible. He is far from guarenteed a huge payday and this doesnt seem like the smartest purchase to make before he has even been picked.

I get the agent fronts him the money, etc...but based off a quick search the first pick in round 2 would get a signing bonus of just over 2 million, after agents and taxes that doesnt leave him a ton left over.

Nice gesture and I like the meaning behind it, maybe just not the best time to do it.

He does have insurance that pays him an amount if he isn't drafted by a certain point in the draft, so he does have a decent payday guaranteed no matter if he goes early in the first round or not.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He does have insurance that pays him an amount if he isn't drafted by a certain point in the draft, so he does have a decent payday guaranteed no matter if he goes early in the first round or not.

Sure, a decent payday, but decent enough to buy a $65,000 car with a custom paint job?

Just seems irresponsible, regardless of how well intentioned he is.

You see so many stories about guys who overspend and are out of the league and broke in 3 years. I just think he should have waited until he know he was in a fiscaly better situation.

Again, not being critical of the act itself, I think it is very sweet, I just think the timing of it was irresponsible.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-07-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #77
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

His draft insurance only pays or if he falls out of the first due to injury or illness.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #78
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sure, a decent payday, but decent enough to buy a $65,000 car with a custom paint job?

You see so many stories about guys who overspend and are out of the league and broke in 3 years. I just think he should have waited until he know he was in a fiscaly better situation.

Again, not being critical of the act itself, I think it is very sweet, I just think the timing of it was irresponsible.

Dude. It's for his mom, who survived fucking breast cancer, as a Mother's Day gift. He promised this to her when he his in the the third grade.

The timing couldn't be better. It's Mother's Day weekend. He's about to have his lifelong dream come true - be in the NFL - and he's honoring his mother, who raised him and three other kids alone, and survived breast cancer. The timing doesn't GET any better. It's a perfect confluence of events.

Are you and saldana having marital issues?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #79
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

I agree. In the age of Vince Young, this may be a huge red flag for teams wanting a QB.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #80
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Dude. It's for his mom, who survived fucking breast cancer, as a Mother's Day gift. He promised this to her when he his in the the third grade.

The timing couldn't be better. It's Mother's Day weekend. He's about to have his lifelong dream come true - be in the NFL - and he's honoring his mother, who raised him and three other kids alone, and survived breast cancer. The timing doesn't GET any better. It's a perfect confluence of events.

Are you and saldana having marital issues?

I think I was pretty clear in saying I admire the act itself, but the road to hell is paved with god intentions.

I know absolutly nothing about his mothers finances, but it seems to me that money could likely be spent in a much better way, and if he is succesful in the NFL he could buy her the car then. I know as a parent I wouldn't want my kid buying me a car when that money could be better spent on other things, given his financial uncertainty.

I am seperating the gesture itself from the financial aspect, if you cant do that then fine. I would say most broke people, NFL draftee or not, are people who can't seperate emotion from finance.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #81
chadritt
High School Varsity

Even after taxes I would think 2 MILLION dollars leaves enough for one "big" purchase. Now if he buys multiple houses as well then hes got a problem.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Even after taxes I would think 2 MILLION dollars leaves enough for one "big" purchase. Now if he buys multiple houses as well then hes got a problem.

but it isn't.

I will preface this by saying I am pretty much pulling number out of thin air, so feel free to argue them if you like, but I think they are probably pretty close.

Lets say he gets a 2 million bonus,

Agent takes what, 10%? So he is at 1.8.

Uncle Sam takes 40%, so he is at 1.08 mil

Take out the car for Mom and that puts him at about a million even. So he is using about 10% of his total worth at that time ( assuming he doesn't have any other income we don't know about), to buy a car for his Mom. Not smart.

I would say he would get about 500K/ year salary. Nice, but not huge, generational money.

If he is a bust and gone from the league in a few years that isn't a lot of money to build for your future.

Again, great gesture and I hope he is a starter in the league for 15 years and taken in the top 10, I like the guy and will root for him, but I stand by my statement that this isn't a great financial decision.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am seperating the gesture itself from the financial aspect, if you cant do that then fine. I would say most broke people, NFL draftee or not, are people who can't seperate emotion from finance.

i.e. Most broke people are like you, HB!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
i.e. Most broke people are like you, HB!

Broke people must be some charming-ass motherfuckers then!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, great gesture and I hope he is a starter in the league for 15 years and taken in the top 10, I like the guy and will root for him, but I stand by my statement that this isn't a great financial decision.

Buying a car, period, is not a great financial decision.

Come to think of it, having kids isn't a great financial decision either.

There are lots of things that aren't great financial decisions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

totally agree, and I would venture to say the majority of people who have both can't afford either, but they really want them or feel entitled to them so they have them anyway.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #87
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So how much money does a person need to earn in order to give his mom an expensive gift? If not 1.08 million then what?

If I ever happened to earn that much I would have no problem whatsoever using 10% of a bonus to buy my parents a gift.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #88
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

The biggest problem would be co-signing dozens of loans for friends and family members to finance risky business schemes. The "Antoine Walker problem".

Buying a car for his mom, that's pretty awesome.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #89
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the road to hell is paved with god intentions.

HERETIC!!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #90
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So how much money does a person need to earn in order to give his mom an expensive gift? If not 1.08 million then what?

If I ever happened to earn that much I would have no problem whatsoever using 10% of a bonus to buy my parents a gift.

The problem is you don't know your future earning potential, you could be out of the league in 3 years.

The problem is you can't look at it as a bonus, you have to look at it as money you need to live off of the rest of your life, because the big NFL payday is far from an assurance.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Oh shi... I have two cars and two kids on the way.

I am like most broke people!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #92
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Oh shi... I have two cars and two kids on the way.

I am like most broke people!

I think you'll be okay, since you're a lawyer, and presumeably well-paid. Only occupation more likely to be able to handle that would be, I don't know, maybe a professional athlete or sumfin like that.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #93
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
he is at 1.08 mil

Take out the car for Mom and that puts him at about a million even. So he is using about 10% of his total worth at that time ( assuming he doesn't have any other income we don't know about), to buy a car for his Mom. Not smart.

I would say he would get about 500K/ year salary. Nice, but not huge, generational money.

If he is a bust and gone from the league in a few years that isn't a lot of money to build for your future.

I think if you gave any reasonable person 2-2.5M by age 26 (approximate age of busting and being out of the league), they could easily build for their future even with a 100k car purchase in there. It's not like he'll never get a job outside of QB in his life. I don't think you can make that leap with one purchase. Yes if he goes and buys another 10 cars sure.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #94
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I don't necessarily have draft fatigue, but I do hope they stop messing with things that aren't broken in an effort to somehow improve their revenue. There is only a certain amount of change something you love can undertake before you begin to have trouble recognizing it. The things Goodell keeps talking about changing and actually changing are things that have been fine as-is for a long long time. They are part of what made the game what it was and they didn't need changing.

It reminds me in a way of women and men with body image issues who get plastic surgery on top of plastic surgery until they are so different from their original form that they become a whole other entity.

It also reminds me of our government, changing things that are unnecessary and leaving actual problems untouched.

I can't wait for Thursday night, but that is because I like the draft and I love football. I would have preferred to see it in April, however. On Saturday and Sunday. I like spending my weekend with the sport, not cramming the good parts in on a work night and leaving the boring stuff for when people actually have spare time to really enjoy it.

Agree with this whole post, Julio.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #95
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He should probably buy his mom a lightly used Chevy Cruz and then bid her adieu.

I'm sure he's getting some smaller checks from like underarmor. Or if not paying off 65k over 4-5 years is minor.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #96
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He should probably buy his mom a lightly used Chevy Cruz and then bid her adieu.

I'm sure he's getting some smaller checks from like underarmor. Or if not paying off 65k over 4-5 years is minor.

Maybe I could reach out to Teddy and offer him one of my "friends and family" discounts to help alleviate the financial burden. We'll get him into a GM car one way or another.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #97
Butter
Coordinator

Chevy Cruz? Was he on Sabado Noche en Vivo?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Chevy Cruz? Was he on Sabado Noche en Vivo?

I thought he was a marginal outfield prospect with some AL team.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Chevy Cruz is made in Canada with Cuban parts but is 100% unequivocally 'merican.

(I should probably know it's the Cruze since I live so close to lordstown)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #100
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I thought he was a marginal outfield prospect with some AL team.

The Angels drafted that kid. I have no idea if he is still in the system, though. Nice pull.