Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #51
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Interesting story out of Utah...

This kid plays in BYU's backyard, has grown up a BYU fan and his dream has been to play for BYU...issue BYU has right now with the Mission rule changes is a scholarship crunch and this kid who BYU would love to have is a casualty of that, lack of Scholarships for the position(s) the kid plays...

The 4-star USC/Florida State recruit jilted by BYU - Utah Valley 360

They need to find a way to offer him, he is a perfect outside LB in BYU's 3-4. Then again with young guys like Hinds and Warner in the pipeline they are pretty stacked there too, but still, it is bad for business to let recruits like this get away.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #52
dave731
High School JV

Scout.com: Chalmers picks Clemson

Chalmers chooses Clemson!! Woot woot! One down...one to go! I don't maintain much contact with these guys anymore but I did reach out to congratulate him today and hinted that I hoped this was the start of a trend for Greenwood to Clemson *cough* "Mock" *cough*. Kaleb said he hoped so as well. We will see...
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #53
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

agreed. I think this is a better signing for the simple fact of maybe having some more influence in greenwood than I think it is for Chalmers, per se.

He has the tools, but has been poorly coached in DB technique to this point. If he will dedicate himself and take to coaching he can be a D1 contributor as an upperclassman IMHO
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #54
dave731
High School JV

I got another one for you CUTiger...Gage Cervenka. I coached him 2 years in 7th and 8th grade. The guy is a BEAST! We played him at DT and at FB. I haven't seen what star level he is currently rated but out of all the kids I have ever coached, he was the one that I said could be a star one day. He's 6'3" 277 right now as a junior. I can see him on the line and his parents are huge Clemson fans for what it is worth.

I miss coaching so bad...geez.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #55
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
I got another one for you CUTiger...Gage Cervenka. I coached him 2 years in 7th and 8th grade. The guy is a BEAST! We played him at DT and at FB. I haven't seen what star level he is currently rated but out of all the kids I have ever coached, he was the one that I said could be a star one day. He's 6'3" 277 right now as a junior. I can see him on the line and his parents are huge Clemson fans for what it is worth.

I miss coaching so bad...geez.

3 time state wrestling champ too if I am not mistaken.
He is a 3 star by Rivals.
He will be in Clemson tomorrow for a campus visit and I expect him to commit on that visit.

His football film is shaky, he is obviously strong and has GREAT instincts, hips and flexibility but he is RAW...then again a full year to focus on football instead of wrestling may be the answer for that.

I think Gage has the potential to be an NFL player one day if he develops and Dan Brooks is just the coach to get him there.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #56
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
3 time state wrestling champ too if I am not mistaken.
He is a 3 star by Rivals.
He will be in Clemson tomorrow for a campus visit and I expect him to commit on that visit.

His football film is shaky, he is obviously strong and has GREAT instincts, hips and flexibility but he is RAW...then again a full year to focus on football instead of wrestling may be the answer for that.

I think Gage has the potential to be an NFL player one day if he develops and Dan Brooks is just the coach to get him there.
He is very raw and I think that is because there was a lot more focus on wrestling which is fine. I'm hoping his senior year is a breakout one. I've never been too impressed with the coaching at Emerald. We would have guys coming through Westview that we played at a specific position and then they get to Emerald and they would be played at a completely different position. I'm talking guys who had no hands at WR, or LBs moving to DB, etc. etc. I know players develop but some of the things we saw left us scratching our heads. As far as I know, Gage has always been on the D-line.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #57
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dave,
Gage just committed in Coach Swinney's office.
Like in the last 5 minutes.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #58
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Dave,
Gage just committed in Coach Swinney's office.
Like in the last 5 minutes.

I saw it!! Loving it...guy bleeds orange already and has the mentality to get better each and every day. He will be a star and a staple on that line for several years. Can't wait!!!

I think this will clinch it for Mock Adams too...the two went to Westview Middle School together and were teammates on our undefeated season. Things like that may seem trivial but it mattered to us.

Last edited by dave731 : 04-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #59
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

At the risk of turning everything I post on this board into a Clemson fest, I know some folks enjoy it however.

Rivals #92 overall and #5 QB Kelly Bryant has committed to Clemson this morning.

So Chad Kelly leaves and Kelly Bryant enters.

K Bryant is a good kid first and formost. Last year as a junior was his first experience playing QB, really ever. His family moved prior to last football season and while he was a QB prior to the move for 1 season his team ran a single wing triple option offense. As a sophomore he was 10-11 passing for 425 yards. He started ever game and attempted 11 passes. As a junior in a spread level concept offense he strgguled early but rallied late ending the season with a 72% completion percentage.

He is a fast shift runner despite hsi 6'4" frame and an accurate passer however he has a delivery that Tim Tebow called goofy and ugly.

You might can tell I am excited about this committment. I coached Kelly when he was in flag football and popwarner ball. Shows how smart I was he was my RB and middle LB...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #60
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
At the risk of turning everything I post on this board into a Clemson fest, I know some folks enjoy it however.

Rivals #92 overall and #5 QB Kelly Bryant has committed to Clemson this morning.

So Chad Kelly leaves and Kelly Bryant enters.

K Bryant is a good kid first and formost. Last year as a junior was his first experience playing QB, really ever. His family moved prior to last football season and while he was a QB prior to the move for 1 season his team ran a single wing triple option offense. As a sophomore he was 10-11 passing for 425 yards. He started ever game and attempted 11 passes. As a junior in a spread level concept offense he strgguled early but rallied late ending the season with a 72% completion percentage.

He is a fast shift runner despite hsi 6'4" frame and an accurate passer however he has a delivery that Tim Tebow called goofy and ugly.

You might can tell I am excited about this committment. I coached Kelly when he was in flag football and popwarner ball. Shows how smart I was he was my RB and middle LB...
He played for Abbeville Parks and Rec right? I think I coached against this kid one year. Was he the one they called Yoyo? I think when he was at Wright Middle, he was injured for our game against them.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #61
dave731
High School JV

Mock had this pic posted today on his facebook. It's coming....Bryant to Adams and there is ORANGE IN THE ENDZONE!!

Last edited by dave731 : 04-17-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #62
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Is Mock a nickname for Markeyvious?

I think the question (right now) is whether Clemson would accept that commitment. This is not a personal comment on if they should but my interpretation from what I have heard.

BTW...my stomach churns everytime I have to hear that call by Yanity. He is one hell of a nice guy, and maybe its just the curse of following in the legendary footsteps of Jim Phillips, but that Orange in the Endzone tagline is BRUTAL/

Last edited by CU Tiger : 04-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #63
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Is Mock a nickname for Markeyvious?

I think the question (right now) is whether Clemson would accept that commitment. This is not a personal comment on if they should but my interpretation from what I have heard.

BTW...my stomach churns everytime I have to hear that call by Yanity. He is one hell of a nice guy, and maybe its just the curse of following in the legendary footsteps of Jim Phillips, but that Orange in the Endzone tagline is BRUTAL/
Definitely hard to follow Phillips but I think Yanity has done alright considering.

"Mock" is his nickname. When I first met him I was calling him Mark and one of the other players said "No, Coach Johnson...it's Mock, the R is silent." I thought it was funny at the time and that they were messing with me but that apparently was his nickname.

Clemson hasn't offered him to my knowledge. I know he has been recruited by Clemson though. Clemson already has one WR commit in that class from Shadell Bell but the real problem is the 4 commits in the 2014 class. NC State has offered Mock but I don't know how close he is to pulling the trigger there. His best hope is that he has a breakout year for Greenwood which is highly unlikely with Greenwood's offense. I remember seeing one game this past season where they threw the ball just 3 times the entire game. Cathcart is gone this coming season and I'm hoping the offense changes but I doubt it will.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #64
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Juvall Mollette is a very talented WR from NC that is tops on Clemson' board right now at WR..and they are in very good shape there. Plus they are leaving room for George Campbell which they feel they have a shot with. They can't take 4 WR this year, they REALLY dont want 3.

Ill be shocked if Mollette makes it to ay....May 15th without committing. If he does that probably closes any door for MA. I havent seen enough of him to render an opinion other than good kid, seems grounded, needs some coaching but tons of tools.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #65
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

His calling style is very.... robotic. Not that I am crying for the super-homers that some other schools have, but he could flash some personality occasionally.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #66
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

At least I know 'Bama will be #1 in the end anyway.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not enough UCLA news.

Tevita Halalilo, the #10 OG, has committed to UCLA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

Where is Chuma Edoga going?
Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Hopefully, USC

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-19-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #70
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

IF (and its a big IF) UGA pushes its over for everyone else.

If he sticks 4 years in college I'll be surprised, BTW I dont think he has the talent to go NFL after 3.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 04-19-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #71
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:

I definitely enjoy it!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Chuma announced for USC today. We'll see if it sticks until signing day.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #73
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Chuma announced for USC today. We'll see if it sticks until signing day.

Came here to post this.

I still feel in my gut he ends up signing with UGA, and I think he is very highly over rated no matter where he ends up.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #74
MrBug708
Head Coach

Taj Griffin to Oregon
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #75
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

6 foot 7 inch 270 pound OT Roy Hemsley committed to USC today.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #76
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have to say Penn State is putting quite a nice class together.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #77
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
6 foot 7 inch 270 pound OT Roy Hemsley committed to USC today.

Our 15 > your 25
Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #78
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I have to say Penn State is putting quite a nice class together.

They know the first step to success in recruiting is locking down their state. All the more so considering what is in that state.

Last edited by Matthean : 05-15-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #79
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

4 star DT Jacob Daniel committed to USC today.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #80
MrBug708
Head Coach

Twice he's committed to Sark
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #81
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

DT Noah Jefferson committed to USC today.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #82
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

In the past 7 days Clemson added three new commitments.

3* DT Sterling Johnson ( a raw potential guy. Has great frame and measurables but has never played competition. He may just be a guy or could long term be a 2 deep contributor)
2* OT Zach Giella. None of the services are high on him but he had Bama, Oh St, and Wisconsin offers among others. All are usually among the better in OL evals.
2* CB Juwaan Briscoe. Kid plays exclusively RB on the prep level but the Clemson coaches project him to DB. He is 6'0 185 put together fantastic for a HS kid. And ran a laser 4.41 at a Rivals camp last week...clearly a numbers take here but maybe.

Then this...4*, FSU Legacy and National #3 TE Garrett Williams announced a 1:30 pm presser to announce his college decision.

After this afternoons announcement Clemson will have 15 committs and should move into #2 in the Rivals team recruiting rankings.

That position will not hold, as it is largely a numbers ranking this early..but still an impressive start to a pivotal class.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #83
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

4* Jaason Lewis (not mis spelled)

Decommits from UCLA and says UCF may be the leader.
Weird one here.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #84
MrBug708
Head Coach

Never thought he was going to stick and it's a good thing it happened now as opposed to January. He seems built to play OLB
Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC lands Cameron Smith, 4* ILB. About as true of a MLB as there is in the 4-3 system. Needs to work on his weight issue, but he's a pretty good one for Sark.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-21-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
USC lands Cameron Smith, 4* ILB. About as true of a MLB as there is in the 4-3 system. Needs to work on his weight issue, but he's a pretty good one for Sark.

Yep, looks like a big time thumper at LB. He could be a very good player.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #87
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Rumor has it that Allen HS QB Kyle Murray is announcing his commitment today. I hope its College Station (come on Kyler!) but I have a sneaking suspicion Dingleberry in Lubbock may have pulled a rabbit out of his hat.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #88
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

A fun one to watch will be Deon Cain WR this Friday...
Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #89
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Thought I would share this.

A neat little poster that may have been mailed to the top 25 or so WR prospects over the next 2 classes highlighting the draft success of Clemson WR in the last 2 drafts.

Clemson WR.jpg
Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #90
bhlloy
Coordinator

Cool poster, wonder how much they make once they get to the NFL?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #91
tarcone
Coordinator

I wish Iowa had that coin to throw around to recruits.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #92
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Cool poster, wonder how much they make once they get to the NFL?

That's why no one went to the NFL early during the Danny Ford years. They couldnt accept the pay cut...
Old 05-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #93
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A fun one to watch will be Deon Cain WR this Friday...

4* WR Deon Cain from Tampa Tech just picked Clemson at ceremony in his High School Library.

Reagrded as a top 150 prospect by rivals.com and a consensus for Top3 WR in the State of FL by all services the recent selection of local hero Sammy Watkins at #4 heavily influenced his decision.

Cain is the 16th committment for the Tigers class and the 8th Rivals 200 member.

Interesting side note. Good friend and fellow FL gulf coast standout Ray-Ray McLoud's father was in attendance for the announcement and posed for a picture with Cain while both wore Clemson hats...
Old 06-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #94
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I honestly grimmace when I post in this thread these days because I feel like I am making it my own personal playground.

But a few folks have said they enjoy the Clemson info (which is essentially all I have these) so...

Well on Saturday Clemson added their 16th committment to the current Rivals #2 ranked class in Bamburg, SC DE LaSamuel Davis...a skinny raw athlete who is a 3 year project but has great genes. (He is 6'5 205 as a DE...gotta put some meat on him for sure)

Well business is picking up. Clemson has 3 DL commits with the Davis committment and plan on taking 3 more. They made sure all of their current targets were aware of their numbers situation today and...looks like one of those spots will be filled when Rivals 100 DE and the 6th ranked DE nationally Clelin Ferrell from Richmond, VA called the Clemson staff tonight and told them he wanted to secure one of those spots.

He will ge the chance to announce on Wednesday at his school, but the 6'5 240lber's name is currently on the white board in the West End zone under "Wins" (the other categories are 4th quarter lead, tie game, 2 minute drill, comeback time)

Project 8113...
Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

De'Quan Hampton, a 6'4 220 lb Juco WR, committed to USC today. He's the 9th commit and rumors are around that a few more commits could happen later this week.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #96
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
De'Quan Hampton, a 6'4 220 lb Juco WR, committed to USC today. He's the 9th commit and rumors are around that a few more commits could happen later this week.

Big boy. I haven't heard of him, but that doesn't mean much. Where does he go to JC? Somewhere out here in Cali?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Long Beach City in Cali.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Long Beach City in Cali.

Solid JC.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Could have put this in the other thread (non-recruiting) but thought it also applied here. I think USC is just getting ahead of what will be happening at all schools in the near future, but still a good move:

FROM USC SPORTS INFORMATION

-- USC Commits to Four-Year Scholarships For Football, Men’s and Women’s Basketball Student-Athletes --

USC will offer four-year athletic scholarships to all scholarship student-athletes in the revenue sports of football and men's and women's basketball in lieu of the current practice of offering one-year renewable scholarships, USC Athletic Director Pat Haden announced today.

Haden said this policy will be effective July 1, 2014, for all current and future scholarship student-athletes in those sports.

“In taking this action, USC hopes to help lead the effort to refocus on student-athlete welfare on and off the field,” Haden said.

Haden also reaffirmed the university’s commitment to assist those scholarship student-athletes in good academic standing that have exhausted their intercollegiate eligibility to obtain their undergraduate degrees. USC has assisted more than 250 former student-athletes with undergraduate degree academic support over the last decade.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #100
MrBug708
Head Coach

I see EF27 fell for the hype of something that is much ado about nothing.

What happens if they redshirt? Are injured? What about a walkon who busts his butt and has three years of eligibility left? I would imagine they'll do what every school in America does, move them to academic scholarship so it doesnt take a valuable athletic scholarship up.

Smart PR move I suppose.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-23-2014 at 06:54 PM.