Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #51
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Alabama is no slouch of a program but when he came in it had a few down years. Texas on the other hand is the right in the heart of the largest talent pool in the nation. Personally, what I think Saban could do at Texas would be unfair.
Not only that, no program in the country matches Texas when it comes to revenue. Alabama does very well and ranks third in that category, bringing in nearly $82M for the 2011-12 time period, but Texas is tops with nearly $104M.

Perhaps the new SEC TV deals will equalize things, but then again those figures are also before the Big-12 got new deals.

Alabama is obviously one of the top jobs in the country, but so is Texas.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #52
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So Jaboo plays without his contacts in? Is he playing with house rules so he doesn't dominate too much? Jameis Winston of Florida State Seminoles says squinting is 'a habit' - ESPN

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-07-2013 at 02:38 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Close your eyes for a moment, and imagine what this thread would look like if it wasn't Texas that the Saban rumor was connected to, but rather another school, one not from the state of Texas, and once a member of the Big 12.

Close your eyes for a moment, and imagine what this thread would look like if there were a couple of rather large Thursday night games to discuss...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #54
digamma
Torchbearer

And dola...

I honestly don't know what to make of the games tonight. I want to say both big offenses roll, but Stanford seems to have Oregon's number and OU-Baylor is, well, OU-Baylor.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I can't wait for kickoff of both games
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #56
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Yeah tonight is going to be delicious.

I'm looking forward to Baylor playing a decent defense and I am really hoping OU gives them a kick in the teeth just so all these pretty boy baptists can go back to their little corner of the Interwebs. But hey, the tarp is off!! Way to go guys.

And something tells me that the Tree knocks off the Ducks again. Looking for another instant classic here.

Friday could be a rough morning.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #57
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
And dola...

I honestly don't know what to make of the games tonight. I want to say both big offenses roll, but Stanford seems to have Oregon's number and OU-Baylor is, well, OU-Baylor.

On campus, headed over now. Honestly, I expect Oregon to win, and by 10 at least - the Stanford offense is simply not setup to play from behind, and David Shaw makes Rush Limbaugh look like a liberal. It will be a pleasant surprise if it goes any other way, especially with Ben Gardner being injured last week.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #58
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Yeah tonight is going to be delicious.

I'm looking forward to Baylor playing a decent defense and I am really hoping OU gives them a kick in the teeth just so all these pretty boy baptists can go back to their little corner of the Interwebs. But hey, the tarp is off!! Way to go guys.

And something tells me that the Tree knocks off the Ducks again. Looking for another instant classic here.

Friday could be a rough morning.

I am kind of hoping for a Baylor vs Oregon bowl game. I am not sure if it could actually happen but the total in that game might cross into 3 digit territory. I cant imagine either team being held under 50 with how fast them teams run plays.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There aren't going to be too many people missing Floyd Casey Stadium when it is closed after this season. There are high school stadiums better than that place.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #60
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am kind of hoping for a Baylor vs Oregon bowl game. I am not sure if it could actually happen but the total in that game might cross into 3 digit territory. I cant imagine either team being held under 50 with how fast them teams run plays.

Baylor has put up 3 points and given up a safety against the first real team they have faced. I wouldn't bet too much on them scoring a bunch on the Ducks.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #61
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Better yet, what if the rumors were PINKEL going to Texas and not Saban?

Nah Pinkel and Briles will just continue to pick up more talented athletes that Texas passes on.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #62
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Top of the 5th and it's 5 to 3 Sooners leading.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #63
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Baylor has put up 3 points and given up a safety against the first real team they have faced. I wouldn't bet too much on them scoring a bunch on the Ducks.

Plenty of game left. With Seastrunk, Reese, Goodley, and Petty I dont see scoring being much of an issue.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #64
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

At a quick glace it looks like Michigan's uniforms(Ducks).

Last edited by mauchow : 11-07-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #65
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Plenty of game left. With Seastrunk, Reese, Goodley, and Petty I dont see scoring being much of an issue.

24-5 Baylor at halftime.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #66
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Top of the 5th and it's 5 to 3 Sooners leading.

That baseball score quickly ended......
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #67
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Nah Pinkel and Briles will just continue to pick up more talented athletes that Texas passes on.

That Texas pipeline is drying up for Mizzou. Only signed 4 guys from Texas in the last class, and only 2 verbals for 2014's class.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #68
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
That baseball score quickly ended......

College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com

Some teams play so fast now they are getting almost 1.5X more snaps per game than slower paced teams. Its almost like playing a football game of 90 minutes now instead of 60. Holding Oregon or Baylor under 30 would take one heck of a defensive effort.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Time to see what Oregon is made of
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #70
cartman
Death Herald

Baylor's defense has been impressive
Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Nothing like judging a team based of 5 drives, when 1.5 of them were successful (FG, missed FG). Can we write off Oregon's offense since they're being shutout 25 minutes in?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #72
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

23 rushes in the first half for Gafney. Wow.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #73
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It is just crazy how well Stanford plays these Ducks.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there's any such thing as a safe lead against Oregon ... but Stanford sure has put themselves in position for the upset.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #75
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Nothing like judging a team based of 5 drives, when 1.5 of them were successful (FG, missed FG). Can we write off Oregon's offense since they're being shutout 25 minutes in?

I'm just saying it might be a little early to say how many points Baylor would score considering they are finally playing their first team with a pulse and to imply Baylor and Oregon could score 100+.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #76
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't think there's any such thing as a safe lead against Oregon ... but Stanford sure has put themselves in position for the upset.

Is it really an upset when it keeps happening? Oregon continues to prove they are nothing more than a paper tiger.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it really an upset when it keeps happening? Oregon continues to prove they are nothing more than a paper tiger.

When one team is positioned for a possible national title much better than the other, yeah, I'd say that's an upset.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #78
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The good news for FSU is that Oregon is being dumped out of the national title picture.

The bad news for FSU is Baylor and Stanford are making claims for being IN the national picture.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #79
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm just saying it might be a little early to say how many points Baylor would score considering they are finally playing their first team with a pulse and to imply Baylor and Oregon could score 100+.

I guess I dont feel it is too early at all to make that statement. Since they both play fast they will each run around 90-100 plays. With them 2 offenses running that many plays I have little doubt the score would reach triple digits. Baylor has scored 70 4 times already this year.

I guess we could look and see how many times either of the two teams have been held under 50 the past 2 years. I am sure the number is very small.

I think we can agree Alabama again has a top defense and once they got into a run and gun game with Texas A&M that game ended up with over 90 points. It is just ridiculous how fast some of these teams play not so much the defenses they face. Baylor is usually running out the clock in the 2nd half and still putting up 70s.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Better yet, what if the rumors were PINKEL going to Texas and not Saban?

Maybe Pinkel to Rhode Island or Saban to Utah?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #81
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When one team is positioned for a possible national title much better than the other, yeah, I'd say that's an upset.

So the exact same thing keeps happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The good news for FSU is that Oregon is being dumped out of the national title picture.

The bad news for FSU is Baylor and Stanford are making claims for being IN the national picture.

Stanford isn't jumping enough teams to matter unless those teams also lose. This is the problem with the Pac-10 right now. There is always one loss in there that shouldn't be.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #82
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And I'm saying we can all watch Oregon getting shut out and know they're better than they're showing... so to write Baylor's offense off based on 3 early stops by Oklahoma was even more premature - as evidenced by the 5 TD's and 2 FG attempts in their next 8 drives against a top 10 team. This Baylor offense has really good athletes (although Reese and Martin might be injured) and the system works - they've been putting up points for 3-4 years now.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #83
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Can we write off Oregon's offense since they're being shutout 25 minutes in?

(looks around)

Yes.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #84
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
(looks around)

Yes.

Yes the offense has been bad as well. But they cant get the ball from Stanford either so both parts of their game are flawed tonight. Stanford is just taking the air out of the ball so well tonight and not letting Oregon get in any rhythm.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Pac12 is still the only conference that will a actively screw its best team out of a title game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #86
bhlloy
Coordinator

Still not seeing anything like an NFL QB in Mariota's game. You can argue he might be similar to Kaepernick but I don't think he has the arm strength, and his accuracy and pocket presence is nothing like you want to see in an NFL prospect
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #87
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

If FSU (and Alabama) wins out, they're in the title game, and both deservedly so. Things will get interesting if one of those two does - I think undefeated Baylor has the edge over undefeated Ohio State and 1-loss Stanford/Oregon/FSU/Alabama, but all those teams would be close. Too bad the 4-team playoff doesn't start this year.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #88
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Still not seeing anything like an NFL QB in Mariota's game. You can argue he might be similar to Kaepernick but I don't think he has the arm strength, and his accuracy and pocket presence is nothing like you want to see in an NFL prospect
Arm strength is there I think - he underthrew that early deep ball, but he's had plenty of zip on is passes. The problem like you said is accuracy, especially when he's on the run or feeling pressure.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Question: is Baylor's defense better than thought? Or was Oklahoma just that inept against it once they got behind? I mean, they gave up one score basically, Oklahoma isn't that bad.

The computers have loved Stanford more than Baylor to this point but the Bears SOS will get steadily better from here on out. That seems like enough to push them ahead of Stanford by the end of the year even if the Cardinal do win tonight.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #90
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Question: is Baylor's defense better than thought? Or was Oklahoma just that inept against it once they got behind? I mean, they gave up one score basically, Oklahoma isn't that bad.

The computers have loved Stanford more than Baylor to this point but the Bears SOS will get steadily better from here on out. That seems like enough to push them ahead of Stanford by the end of the year even if the Cardinal do win tonight.

I think Baylors defense is a bit underrated based on the past but I also think Oklahoma isnt anything special this year. Blake Bell has a lot of flaws as a QB.

Baylor still has a lot to prove with some more difficult games coming up.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #91
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Arm strength is there I think - he underthrew that early deep ball, but he's had plenty of zip on is passes. The problem like you said is accuracy, especially when he's on the run or feeling pressure.

Yeah I don't think he has a weak arm, but I also don't think he has a gun like Kapernick has, which made him such an intriguing prospect. Maybe I'm underselling him but every time I see him putting up silly stats it's his receivers making a lot of plays

EDIT - and I'm not saying he's not worth a high-ish pick based on upside. But I see a lot of places have him as a top 5 pick, which I don't see at all.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-07-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

Stanford has been a thing of beauty tonight. Love watching them kick Oregon's ass.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #93
tarcone
Coordinator

I thought Baylor was for real. This confirms it.
I didnt think Oregon was this beatable. Wow. Stanford just manhandling them.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #94
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Marcus Mariota leaps ahead of Teddy Bridgewater as No. 1 pick - NFL - Sporting News
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #95
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh my, this game is getting weird...
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #96
chadritt
High School Varsity

I want to watch but Oregon only started scoring the moment I switched over...
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #97
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh my, this game is getting weird...

Getting even weirder
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #98
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeesh, this could be an all time collapse
Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #99
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It would have been interesting to see how pollsters would have reacted had Oregon won.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #100
bhlloy
Coordinator

I still think it's interesting to see how the last 5 mins play into the pollsters mind, given how many quality one win teams could be left. Holding Oregon to 7 and winning by 20+ superficially looks a lot better than winning by 6, even though it shouldn't