Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Both teams "win". It's the fans that lose.

What fans?

Does anybody at Savannah State really mind the beating THAT much? I mean, it's basically funding their athletic department (I believe the ballpark figure was that their take from a couple of absurd beatdowns funded every athletic job outside the football program, give or take)

And while there's a bit of grousing occasionally when the schedules take a weaker turn, truth is that I don't think the season ticket fan base cares horribly at a lot of places. It's treated like an off week for many, a chance to give away tickets to a relative or friend & earn a little good will (and is often the 7th home game, not like you're being terribly cheated really).
I saw no shortage of people who tailgated last Saturday in Athens but seemed pretty content to head home & skip the game (and the rain) vs North Texas entirely.

JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I'm pretty sure the cupcake teams don't want it at their home. The big payout is when the crusher fills their stadium and then pays out a portion of the take to the crushee (and pays out more money than they could ever dream of making on their own).

Both teams "win". It's the fans that lose.

I think a lot of people against it are concerned for the D2 kids. I don't think the school cares at all and just wants the money grab.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm not saying they are, but I would expect OSU to match that total or beat it.

ASU is one of the better offensive teams in perhaps the best offensive league in the country. It's no disrespect if OSU does not reach that total.

Bug's point is that Wisconsin's D shouldn't be knocked too harshly for giving up a lot of yardage to ASU.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #54
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
With all this talk of BCS schools crushing FBS schools, couldn't they fix it by requiring all opponents be scheduled as hame and home?

I am sure there are a million reasons why it wouldn't work, just a thought.

With all the talk of safety, shouldn't scheduling lower divisions be something that is scrutinized more? Dramatic differences in size and ability.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
With all the talk of safety, shouldn't scheduling lower divisions be something that is scrutinized more? Dramatic differences in size and ability.

But if that's the case -- as a safety issue -- then I'd say you have to look at aligning the divisions, and maybe even conferences, on the same basis.

D1 indy Idaho is 0-4 against a weak schedule and has only been within 30 points of one team so far ... and they still have three top 25 teams on their schedule looming ahead.

Florida International (0-4) might actually be worse and they're a C-USA team.

And don't even get me started on the mediocre HS team that's been assembled at Georgia State.

Is playing them somehow better than playing (just picking a random I-AA) Georgia Southern?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #56
tarcone
Coordinator

The last game at HHH Dome. Iowa wins and our fans take the goal post out of the stadium.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #57
tarcone
Coordinator

Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #58
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Conner Shaw out. Looks like it might be a broken collar bone. That could be really bad for the Cocks' season.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But if that's the case -- as a safety issue -- then I'd say you have to look at aligning the divisions, and maybe even conferences, on the same basis.

D1 indy Idaho is 0-4 against a weak schedule and has only been within 30 points of one team so far ... and they still have three top 25 teams on their schedule looming ahead.

Florida International (0-4) might actually be worse and they're a C-USA team.

And don't even get me started on the mediocre HS team that's been assembled at Georgia State.

Is playing them somehow better than playing (just picking a random I-AA) Georgia Southern?

You make good points. I just know that if college football wants to pretend it cares about safety, that'd be a place to look. When a powerhouse matches up with a low-level FCS school, they always post the weight differences of the lines. It can be like 30-50 pounds. Not to mention the other guys are faster, stronger, and playing at home.

At some point it becomes dangerous when one side has such an advantage in a physical sport.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #60
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The last game at HHH Dome. Iowa wins and our fans take the goal post out of the stadium.

I was there for it (was going to college in Minnesota and went up to see a game) and laughed my ass off. Can't believe no one stopped them.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #61
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Conner Shaw out. Looks like it might be a broken collar bone. That could be really bad for the Cocks' season.

Now they are saying "slight" shoulder strain. It may be worse than that (it looked bad), but I guess no break at least.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
When a powerhouse matches up with a low-level FCS school, they always post the weight differences of the lines. It can be like 30-50 pounds. Not to mention the other guys are faster, stronger, and playing at home.

re: weight -- I see the same thing at the high school level somewhat frequently though. We played at least one team last season that averaged over 300 on the OL (and they didn't even make it to the final four), we had DL that were in the 220s, and we weren't even excessively small really. I've seen a number of those D1 sized lines dating back to at least the mid-90s (in the higher classifications it's not really that uncommon) and mismatches that were in the 60-70 pound range.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #63
GrantDawg

This might not be the best thread, but since you are reading this Jon. Have you seen intentional grounding called correctly/often at the high school games you been to? Last night there was at least 6 times that I saw a QB throw the ball into the ground while being tackled that was called an incomplete pass. There is no "takle box" in high school according to the rules, and he wasn't throwing at anyone. I just can't figure out why is wasn't getting called (well, they did call it the first time. Just not the next 6).
Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This might not be the best thread, but since you are reading this Jon. Have you seen intentional grounding called correctly/often at the high school games you been to? Last night there was at least 6 times that I saw a QB throw the ball into the ground while being tackled that was called an incomplete pass. There is no "takle box" in high school according to the rules, and he wasn't throwing at anyone. I just can't figure out why is wasn't getting called (well, they did call it the first time. Just not the next 6).

Hmm ... {thinks about it}. It's not called all that often to my recollection & most often the ones that seem botched are cases where it's called despite a receiver being in the reasonable vicinity of the ball. I think a little more on cases where it would simply be a missed no-call & don't really come up with very many. I do think it's a little tougher in HS since the QB's are frequently erratic & under no pressure at all I'll occasionally see balls land 10-15 yards from the nearest receiver.

Then again, the team I follow doesn't usually throw much (maybe 8 times a game) and at least 3 of our regular opponents are very much ground-and-pound teams, only 2-3 are balanced or pass heavy ... which means maybe I just don't see as many opportunities for it to arise.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #65
GrantDawg

Quote:
Hmm ... {thinks about it}. It's not called all that often to my recollection & most often the ones that seem botched are cases where it's called despite a receiver being in the reasonable vicinity of the ball. I think a little more on cases where it would simply be a missed no-call & don't really come up with very many. I do think it's a little tougher in HS since the QB's are frequently erratic & under no pressure at all I'll occasionally see balls land 10-15 yards from the nearest receiver.

Then again, the team I follow doesn't usually throw much (maybe 8 times a game) and at least 3 of our regular opponents are very much ground-and-pound teams, only 2-3 are balanced or pass heavy ... which means maybe I just don't see as many opportunities for it to arise.

Yeah, that's quite different from what I have been seeing. My daughter's high school as well as almost every team they have played so far seems to play up-tempo stretch offenses that throw pretty often. The game last night was crazy, with lots of throws. The first play was an 88 yard td pass from our qb. We won 34-31, but they blew 14 point leads twice. Mostly because of the previously mentioned grounding penalties (whenever they got to their qb, he just threw it into the ground for an incomplete pass).
Old 09-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #66
MrBug708
Head Coach

WVU trying to kill the clock, is running a hurry up offense?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #67
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
WVU trying to kill the clock, is running a hurry up offense?

During the drive that ended in the field goal to put WVU up 6 I didn't mind it. The offense has been sputtering all season and I think keeping the offense's pace was important.

The drive for the field goal after the OSU interception was a mess.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #68
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa defense forces 2 3 and outs.
Offense driving but stalling in Minny territory.
Iowa up 3-0.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #69
chinaski
College Prospect

Whats up with ESPN.com not showing any defensive stats for college games?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #70
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Iowa defense forces 2 3 and outs.
Offense driving but stalling in Minny territory.
Iowa up 3-0.

Keep us posted!!!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #71
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa scores a TD on a 5 yard Ruddock run to go up 10-0.

Defense is playing very well. Minny cannot pass the ball and we are stuffing the run.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #72
tarcone
Coordinator

And speaking of not being able to pass the ball. Minny just threw an interception. Iowa 1st and 10 on Minnys 23.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #73
tarcone
Coordinator

After a missed FG. Minny drives to midfield and punts. Iowa just complaeted a 74 yr bubble screen to WR Powell. 17-0 Iowa.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #74
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

MSU/Iowa might be the second biggest Big Ten game next week.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #75
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Iowa scores a TD on a 5 yard Ruddock run to go up 10-0.

Defense is playing very well. Minny cannot pass the ball and we are stuffing the run.

Minnesota's offensive line is just terrible. After how they looked opening up against the little sisters of the poor to start the season I didn't think they'd be able to run.

Coming out of non conference play they looked like a team that would be lucky to win a Big Ten game and they're pretty much keeping that up here.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #76
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina improved to 5-0, but had a bit of a scare against Elon. They only led by 4 at the half, but then they shut them out the rest of the way to win 53-28. This is the third game in a row that CCU has scored over 50 points. They likely will move into the top 10 in the rankings this week if any of the top 10 lost.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #77
bob
College Starter

Tommy Rees just tried to throw a towel into the clothes hamper in the locker room at halftime. It too was intercepted.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #78
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Minnesota's offensive line is just terrible. After how they looked opening up against the little sisters of the poor to start the season I didn't think they'd be able to run.

Coming out of non conference play they looked like a team that would be lucky to win a Big Ten game and they're pretty much keeping that up here.

So you are saying Michigan has a chance to win next week?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #79
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Tommy Rees just tried to throw a towel into the clothes hamper in the locker room at halftime. It too was intercepted.

Considering Kelly seemingly being able to take a water boy and make him a QB, it is all the more telling that Rees hasn't developed into something of a decent QB by this point. I thought he got unjustly hammered for his play two years ago, but I have given up on him even before today.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #80
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So you are saying Michigan has a chance to win next week?

Might not even need a defensive stop at the end of the game to close it out!

Last edited by mckerney : 09-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #81
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Considering Kelly seemingly being able to take a water boy and make him a QB, it is all the more telling that Rees hasn't developed into something of a decent QB by this point. I thought he got unjustly hammered for his play two years ago, but I have given up on him even before today.

Tough to blame Kelly for him all that much though. In reality, Everett Golson would have been the starter this year if not for some academic issues that likely would have been ignored at most schools, and while we have no clue how he would have performed, if the Golson issue happened a month earlier, Gunner Kiel likely wouldn't have transferred.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #82
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

"LSU has the most defensive backs in the NFL? They could use a few"

Some exposed ass defense today
Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #83
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"LSU has the most defensive backs in the NFL? They could use a few"

Some exposed ass defense today

Both teams lost a lot on defense. The SEC might be won on offense this year.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #84
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa keeps Floyd of Rosedale home today. A big 23-7 win. We have as many wins this season as last.
Ran the ball down Minnys throat. Ground and pound as usual.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #85
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fired up for Washington to get into conference play. Couldn't be happier with our non conference slate but ready to see what we are capable of.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #86
cuervo72
Head Coach

Upset Alert: #6 LSU 34, #9 Georgia 37 - 8:09 4th Qtr GameCast

Oh, ESPN.

(Seriously. They're #9. And up by a mere three. NOT THAT HUGE AN UPSET.)
Old 09-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #87
Galaril
Pro Starter

So this ND defense is a joke. I think they lose to AZ in Dallas, USC. and Stanford. Plus, even though they not very good right now ND playing at Air Force up in the mountains at night is always tough. So, they likely are a 6-6 team if they are lucky. How the hell did they get rated in the top 20? Oh yeah right they are ND

Last edited by Galaril : 09-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #88
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Upset Alert: #6 LSU 34, #9 Georgia 37 - 8:09 4th Qtr GameCast

Oh, ESPN.

(Seriously. They're #9. And up by a mere three. NOT THAT HUGE AN UPSET.)

Gotta keep it up now, the #9 team in the country is down late in a game where they are 2 point favorites at home.

Last edited by mckerney : 09-28-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #89
GrantDawg

Georgia scored way too quick.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #90
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Iowa keeps Floyd of Rosedale home today. A big 23-7 win. We have as many wins this season as last.
Ran the ball down Minnys throat. Ground and pound as usual.

Illini, now with three wins, have surpassed last season. Not sure how many I see coming in conference play, but definitely more optimistic about their chances to get a couple than I was heading into conference play last season.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #91
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

That Georgia/LSU game was a great one. Murray and Mettenberger both looked great considering the amount of PI that wasn't called.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #92
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

'Bama's run blocking is still subpar. They might just have to face the fact they are a passing team this year. They also have three fumbles but recovered all of them. 6-0 over Ole Miss.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hard for me to seriously lament a loss by LSU but that one lies on the shoulders of Chavis. The Mustang package strikes again.

Listening to the Tiger radio network (I ran an errand, caught 'em on Sirius) during that last Georgia drive was interesting. PBP guy was about to lose his mind over the soft coverage, color guy was trying to defend it right up until the TD pass.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #94
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think a lot of people against it are concerned for the D2 kids. I don't think the school cares at all and just wants the money grab.

FCS != D2. They're still Division I schools.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #95
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Division 1-AA has typically been called "Division 2" for a long time. The FCS/FBS are misnomers and complete nonsense.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #96
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Today we have secretly replaced Ole Miss and 'Bama with Big Ten teams. Let's see if anyone notices. A combined 26 rushes for 43 yards. Both QBs have a combined 7 incompletions though. Still a sleep inducing 9-0 at half. There were four time outs in the last drive including back-to-back ones with another the play before.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #97
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Might not even need a defensive stop at the end of the game to close it out!

Week 3: Michigan 28, Akron 24
Week 3: Buffalo 26, Stony Brook 23 (5 OT)

Week 4: Michigan 24, Connecticut 21
Week 4: Villanova 35, Stony Brook 6

This week: Buffalo 41, Connecticut 12
This week: Villanova 35, Penn 6

Yes, I think the defensive stop would be quite helpful. Hopefully, it will keep Michigan close at the end. The last two weeks have been not just bad, they've been scary-bad.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #98
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

At least defensive stops at the end of the game is one of the only things Michigan does right.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #99
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Week 3: Buffalo 26, Stony Brook 23 (5 OT)

That's a sadly low score for a 5 OT game.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #100
Izulde
Head Coach

Hell of a game going on right now between UNLV and New Mexico apparently, but I can't watch it because the fucking horseshit shit ass fucking feed on UNLVrebels.com keeps fucking buffering/lagging and skipping plays, then cutting out completely whenever UNLV does something great. So I've missed all three UNLV TDs, but yet saw all three Lobo TDs.

21-21 tie at the start of the second quarter apparently.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote