Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #51
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes. I am just ready for the game to be here and to get 1 under the belt. As of now I have a total of 7 D1 games this season.

Like Logan said I can't really tell you till Sunday.

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #52
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes. I am just ready for the game to be here and to get 1 under the belt. As of now I have a total of 7 D1 games this season.

Just awesome, so cool to see you reaching the big time and being rewarded for your hard work!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #53
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
dola

Really good read from Doug Gottlieb on the Manziel situation

On Manziel, Time magazine, and entitlement among college players - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gottlieb
Cal, UCLA, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, North Carolina, Duke

Some of these things are not like the others...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sounds good- let us know after the fact

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I don't pretend to know how difficult it is to get into Texas, Texas A&M or Florida, but it's not like those are bad schools. Texas in particular is considered one of the top public schools in the country, one of the "public ivies".
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The one that just had a huge academic cheating scandal?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

Documents, text messages reveal impermissible benefits to five SEC players - Yahoo Sports

DJ Fluker being the biggest name implicated. Tyler Bray as well.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #58
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Latest college scandals again reveal folly of NCAA rules - Yahoo Sports

This is a great piece regarding the whole thing (also from Yahoo Sports). How do you tell a poor kid who was homeless (DJ Fluker) that he can't take a token amt when everyone else is getting rich of him?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #59
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I didn't read just tuition...The following is one of the reasons why I am against college athletes being paid.

"Once you're there, your scholarship is a contract that binds you to your school. One side of the deal is this: we pick up everything. All you have to do is show up, keep your grades at a marginal level, and you can be part of the most exclusive club on campus. You will be trained in both your sport and your post-athletics career path. If you begin grad school while you are eligible, guess who picks up the tab? Not you. Many scholarship football players are on campus for five years, during which time they receive free tutoring, the best counseling, priority enrollment into certain classes, new textbooks, the best dorms and meals, in addition to the training, coaching, and essentially work experience you can gain in your sport. Additionally, the NCAA essentially allows student-athletes who leave to return and get their degree on a full grant-in-aid at any time. Does this sound like a good deal so far?"

This is flawed. Most scholarships do *not* cover everything. Many cover just tuition and more than a few are partial tuition waivers. That still leaves a considerable gap in expenses.

They're also not guaranteed for the full term of the degree - it's a one year grant only, renewable at the coach's discretion.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #60
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I don't pretend to know how difficult it is to get into Texas, Texas A&M or Florida, but it's not like those are bad schools. Texas in particular is considered one of the top public schools in the country, one of the "public ivies".

This.

Florida is also a Top 50 school, which most people don't realize. Granted, it's in the last few spots of that ranking, but still.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #61
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This is flawed. Most scholarships do *not* cover everything. Many cover just tuition and more than a few are partial tuition waivers. That still leaves a considerable gap in expenses.

Where are you getting this information from? According to the NCAA: "Division I and II institutions are permitted to provide a student-athlete with tuition and fees, room, board and required course-related books."

Are you saying scholarship Div. 1 football players aren't receiving this?
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-11-2013 at 05:17 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #62
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Where are you getting this information from? According to the NCAA: "Division I and II institutions are permitted to provide a student-athlete with tuition and fees, room, board and required course-related books."

Are you saying scholarship Div. 1 football players aren't receiving this?

Permitted to provide isn't the same thing as saying that's what the grant-in-aid covers.

I'll have to find the link, but there's elsewhere on the NCAA's website where they say that many scholarships don't cover everything.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #63
Izulde
Head Coach

Behind the Blue Disk - NCAA.org

Quote:
Many student-athletes receive athletics scholarships covering only a portion of these costs.

I've also spoken to several student-athletes and parents of student-athletes who have confirmed this.

Now, are your star players going to get the full and complete ride? Sure. Are all your players going to get it? No.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #64
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'd trust Izulde on this since he has been in school 36 of the 37 years he has been alive
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #65
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Behind the Blue Disk - NCAA.org

I've also spoken to several student-athletes and parents of student-athletes who have confirmed this.

Now, are your star players going to get the full and complete ride? Sure. Are all your players going to get it? No.
I'm pretty sure what you're referencing is how in most non-revenue sports, there are partial scholarships. Football and basketball players get full scholarships, but many baseball players (etc.) will get a percentage of a scholarship.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #66
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm pretty sure what you're referencing is how in most non-revenue sports, there are partial scholarships. Football and basketball players get full scholarships, but many baseball players (etc.) will get a percentage of a scholarship.

Most of these partial scholarships are nonrevenue sports, yes.

However, I wouldn't say it's an absolute that all football and basketball players receive the full amount of tuition, room, board, and books as their grant-in-aid package. I think this has variance as well, though I would need to dig more deeply into this to say with certainty either way.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Noting that, unless something has changed recently, all NCAA D1 football scholarships must be "full rides", can't split those as they do in baseball, soccer, etc.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Congrats! That is awesome news
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #69
BishopMVP
Coordinator

FWIW, this article kind of expressed my feelings about watching Johnny Manziel on the field - Texas A&M Aggies QB Johnny Manziel should embrace his outlaw image - ESPN

Guy seems like a dick off the field, but on it he should embrace it and go full heel - I watch sports to be entertained, and whether he leads A&M to another upset over Alabama, or gets obliterated by the Death Star that is the Crimson Tide, it'll be fun to watch. It's not like other quarterbacks who were saints off the field never taunted the opposition...

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #70
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Jon is right.
Football has to be "full ride" but...the average NCAA football player spends 95 hours per week engaged including "elective" activities.

Oh and sure they get a full ride as long as the agree to major in a program of the football programs choosing.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #71
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

They're also not guaranteed for the full term of the degree - it's a one year grant only, renewable at the coach's discretion.

Athletes actually have access to a lot more financial assistance than just the scholarship. They can receive $500 a year for clothing, every school receives $200,000 a year from the NCAA to help its student athletes in ways the school sees fit, off campus living is covered based on a cost determined by the school, schools have a special needs fund for players in need (for things such as flights home for the holidays and this does not need to be repaid), and that doesn't even get into pell grants.

I believe it was a Clemson player last year that was ripped in the media on message boards for making a comment something along the lines of "having access to more resources and money that he had never had before arriving at Clemson". He was a poor kid that was referencing these benefits and what they allowed him to have.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #72
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Congrats!

Good luck and dont get run over by players or coaches.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #73
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Athletes actually have access to a lot more financial assistance than just the scholarship. They can receive $500 a year for clothing, every school receives $200,000 a year from the NCAA to help its student athletes in ways the school sees fit, off campus living is covered based on a cost determined by the school, schools have a special needs fund for players in need (for things such as flights home for the holidays and this does not need to be repaid), and that doesn't even get into pell grants.

Yeah I'm digging more into this (Thanks, JiMGA) and it appears the $200k you're referring to is the Student Assistance Fund, which doesn't list a number on the NCAA's portion of the website that I'm looking at, although the Academic Enhancement Fund does say each school in the 11/12 school year got $68,000 for academic improvement.

It makes for some interesting reading:

Student-Athlete Benefits - NCAA.org

Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #74
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Noting that, unless something has changed recently, all NCAA D1 football scholarships must be "full rides", can't split those as they do in baseball, soccer, etc.

Correct, and this is why I referenced what I did. I didn't get to the Div I level, but had my chance in the lower levels and what I got was still more than most normal students would receive.

But Basketball and Football players, the ones the schools make money off of the most, the ones that are screaming and holding their hands out, they are the ones that need to realize they really are being paid.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #75
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The second best game is one that everyone from middle of the country to the East won't even be awake to watch. Wisconsin going to ASU I think is the next biggest game (perhaps it's my bias.. but it's a big game for both teams to show what they got and build from the win).

Hopefully Wisconsin's defense can show what they are; not slow and lumbering like the ESPN talking heads like to say. I'm so pumped up for this game I started to look at tickets to fly out for the game. The wife immediately shot it down.

I just hope I can stay up until 1 AM to see the game to the end.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #76
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA vs Nebraska
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #77
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
The second best game is one that everyone from middle of the country to the East won't even be awake to watch. Wisconsin going to ASU I think is the next biggest game (perhaps it's my bias.. but it's a big game for both teams to show what they got and build from the win).

Hopefully Wisconsin's defense can show what they are; not slow and lumbering like the ESPN talking heads like to say. I'm so pumped up for this game I started to look at tickets to fly out for the game. The wife immediately shot it down.

I just hope I can stay up until 1 AM to see the game to the end.
Should be a pretty interesting game - the first real test for both teams.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #78
Butter
Coordinator

Wisconsin seems to enjoy taking road trips to the West. They have played @ Fresno State, UNLV, and ASU recently, and that's just the ones off the top of my head. Any particular reason for that?

Last edited by Butter : 09-12-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #79
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Wisconsin seems to enjoy taking road trips to the West. They have played @ Fresno State, UNLV, and ASU recently, and that's just the ones off the top of my head. Any particular reason for that?

IIRC I think they also have a home and home with Washington State in the near future.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #80
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
IIRC I think they also have a home and home with Washington State in the near future.

In 22/23. And a series with UW in 18/19.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #81
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'd trust Izulde on this since he has been in school 36 of the 37 years he has been alive

SI

Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #82
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Do they have a disproportionately large number of recruits from the west? I know football doesn't have as many games so it can't be as targeted as basketball, but trips to a particular area can coincide with a good recruiting pipeline there

SI

Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Jon is right.
Football has to be "full ride" but...the average NCAA football player spends 95 hours per week engaged including "elective" activities.

Oh and sure they get a full ride as long as the agree to major in a program of the football programs choosing.

I can't speak to football but I remember liking Sasha Kaun all the more as he got a computer science degree at Kansas. I graduated a few years before him with that same major and it's not light on coursework.

SI

Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #84
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The idea was that Wisconsin always tries to have a Pac 10/12 game scheduled. They played Oregon St last year. The Badgers don't have more than a few players from the West, so its not entirely a recruiting thing either..although the Badgers try getting into California every year they only come out with one guy. Bart Houston being the biggest name as of recent, redshirt freshman QB now who will give Stave a run next year for the starting job and almost did this fall camp despite being injured for his whole freshman year.

But now with Gary Anderson and his staff I can imagine this will only help recruiting eddorts as they have much bigger ties out West. There has definitely been more attention given to the region for the 2014 class.Damien Mama And Joe Mixon being two big targets currently for Wisconsin and seem to have legit shots at them.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

I would be thoroughly stunned if Mama and Mixon go to Wisconsin.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #86
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

All I say is if you have officials set then you're in the hunt. Wisconsin is a OL school and our running backs do pretty good too
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

West Coast kids love it when it is 4 degrees outside with 3 feet of snow on the ground!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #88
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
All I say is if you have officials set then you're in the hunt. Wisconsin is a OL school and our running backs do pretty good too
Sure. But at least with Mixon, it'd be a shocker if he ended up somewhere other than Cal or Oklahoma.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Former Houston Oiler Ray Childress' son Ford will make his first start for WVU Saturday against Georgia State. He has a big arm and a lot of talent. Georgia State isn't much of a challenge, but it's going to be interesting to see if he can hang on to the job because Millard wasn't getting it done (although he wasn't really expected to).
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #90
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder

SI announces it will publish "The Dirty Game," a 5-part series on the Oklahoma State football program, beginning at 9 a.m. ET Tuesday.

@GeorgeSchroeder: Re: SI's series on Ok State football, parts are titled: 1. Money. 2. Academics. 3. Drugs. 4. Sex. 5. The Fallout

Documents undermine some Oklahoma State Cowboys accusers - ESPN

Look, I'm biased. I went to Oklahoma State and I love the program and cheer for them. I also know that college sports are rife with corruption and am not surprised when I see any story about the corruption.

With all of that said, this is BULLSH#T. How can you throw out stories that could destroy a program without checking the most basic of facts? How can you have 75% of all the players you used in this story either get kicked off of the team or quit the team? (and not mention this in the articles?) How can you take someones word saying they had 2 degrees when in fact they had zero degress?

I'm sorry, but if you are going to thrash a program, do it with facts. Your investigation lasted ten months and THIS is what you have come up with? Piss off. Seriously, just piss off. SI should be ashamed of themselves for this garbage.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #91
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

How about the other arm?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #92
britrock88
Pro Starter

Watching TCU get screwed over multiple times in their game at Texas Tech.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Watching TCU get screwed over multiple times in their game at Texas Tech.

Yeah, not sure how there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the no-fumble call. It looked pretty clear on the replays they showed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #94
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
How about the other arm?

Probably good enough to beat Georgia State.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #95
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Documents undermine some Oklahoma State Cowboys accusers - ESPN
How can you have 75% of all the players you used in this story either get kicked off of the team or quit the team? (and not mention this in the articles?).
*shurg* Washington got USC/Reggie Bush level sanctions in 1993 from allegations by guys that had been booted from the team (several of which were arrested for felonies during their time here) or had filed lawsuits against the school.

I'm not saying you're wrong for being pissed, nor am I saying that these accusations aren't bullshit, but it's pretty common that when these kinds of stories come out, they come from sources that don't seem 100% credible.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #96
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
*shurg* Washington got USC/Reggie Bush level sanctions in 1993 from allegations by guys that had been booted from the team (several of which were arrested for felonies during their time here) or had filed lawsuits against the school.

I'm not saying you're wrong for being pissed, nor am I saying that these accusations aren't bullshit, but it's pretty common that when these kinds of stories come out, they come from sources that don't seem 100% credible.

I'd have just expected that information to be released in the article. I would expect "facts" like someone getting two degrees for doing no schoolwork would be checked out.

Again, I'm biased and I know I am. If OSU did those things and they can be proven, nail them to the damned wall. I braced myself for a critical disaster when I heard about this series. Instead I'm searching to find the "out of control" part. If there isn't some secret bombshell about to come out, I'm thinking there won't be a single scholarship reduction from this. This is what you call an investigative article?

Yikes.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #97
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

TCU was terrible last night but they got the old Lubbock screwjob. I swear night games in that shithole are some of the most biased games in America.

Anyways, question for the refs on the board: When dumbass Tech player dropped the ball at the 1 going into the endzone, shouldn't that have been TCU ball at the 20? I understand the ball never went through the endzone and the ref eventually picked up the ball. But is that the rationale behind giving Tech the ball back at the spot of the "fumble" (read: stupid fucker celebrating too early)?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #98
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I would expect "facts" like someone getting two degrees for doing no schoolwork would be checked out.

"Journalism" at work again...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #99
miami_fan
Coordinator

Charles Robinson gave his approval for this report
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #100
lungs
Pro Rookie

Part of the OSU thing is drug dealers on the football team?? Isn't that fairly common? I mean at my little dinky D3 school I'd often go buy a 20 bag in the weight room from the backup running back with coaches standing right there.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote