Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #51
SackAttack
Head Coach

TW14 $39.99 at Target starting today.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #52
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I joined and played my first ever round of TW '14 in this tourney. Didn't do too bad...I think I finished +3. Was under par on the back nine.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow, if you were under par on the back 9, then kudos. I gave back four shots on the back nine.

Next tourney will be set up Friday, do we want a one round or four round tourney? (I wish we could do two or three round tournies, but that's not an option)

I was thinking TPC Sawgrass would be a good one, possibly with lighter conditions than this one was?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #54
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

As far as courses go, I would suggest Augusta with the Masters being this week.

I was able to play quite a bit this weekend and got my guy up to level 40. The power is finally starting to get where I'm only 50 yards behind the average drive yardage leaders on the web.com tour. It's still a struggle, but better than it was.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #55
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I would prefer just 1 round but it's up to you guys. I don't have time to make sure I play 4 rounds a week. Maybe do two 1 round tourney's at Augusta this week?

I also was playing with the default clubs at St Andrews...didn't know about the Masters clubs you could switch to.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #56
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I would prefer just 1 round but it's up to you guys. I don't have time to make sure I play 4 rounds a week. Maybe do two 1 round tourney's at Augusta this week?

I also was playing with the default clubs at St Andrews...didn't know about the Masters clubs you could switch to.

Masters clubs are only available if you have the collector's edition IIRC.

If we're going to do a 4-rounder, I'd prefer a Thursday start so we can play in tandem with the Masters.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #57
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'd be up for the two 1 round tourneys as well. 4 rounds might be a bit much to fit in.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #58
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, Open is: Masters Round 1

It's set to forgiving Thursday conditions, not much wind, perfect for scoring.

Who's going to take the win in this one round tournament, and how are folks going to respond when the course plays so much differently in Masters Round 2.

(This is a one-try, one-round tournament. Lasting 3 days.. Round 2 will be set up after this one completes, with more difficult conditions. Good luck.)
Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #59
finketr
College Prospect

does this require the stupid motion detect stuff or does it work with the normal ps3 controller?

(thinking about target for $39.99) Can someone tell me what i need to get specifically?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It works with either, but we're on 360. Don't think you can play cross platform.

Just finished my round, finished 2 under, but that was a luckbox score, I eagled 8 with a chip from about 55 yards, and eagled 11 (from 175 yards.. my greatest shot since my genesis days I think), but double bogied 13 and only could par my way in for 34-36 70
Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #61
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
does this require the stupid motion detect stuff or does it work with the normal ps3 controller?

(thinking about target for $39.99) Can someone tell me what i need to get specifically?

You can play with a DualShock 3 or with a Move remote. Your choice! But you won't be able to play the tournaments Foz is talking about because this FOFC country club is on the Xbox 360 version. You can start a club for PS3 players, though!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Just finished my round, finished 2 under, but that was a luckbox score, I eagled 8 with a chip from about 55 yards, and eagled 11 (from 175 yards.. my greatest shot since my genesis days I think), but double bogied 13 and only could par my way in for 34-36 70

+1 on the lucky score as I was lucky on my -2. I managed a fluke hole in one on 12 (shocking!) and then a fluke 50+ foot putt for birdie on 18 that I hit too hard but straight in. All of that still only netted me a -2 in the end. Had three putts that stopped within inches and wouldn't fall.

Does anyone know what the coins are for?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #63
SackAttack
Head Coach

My front 9 was -4. My back nine was filled with pulling holy-shit par saves out of my ass. Finished -2 on the back nine for a -6 overall.

Also, I think coins are used to purchase XP upgrades to your golfer.

Last edited by SackAttack : 04-08-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #64
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Coins can be used to purchase XP Upgrades or PinPacks
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #65
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Finished -5 and just missed going lower. I tried to layup short of Rae's Creek on the par 5 but too much wind and the slope took the ball in the creek. I got up and down for a dramatic par.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #66
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

We have till tomorrow night to finish correct?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #67
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Are people using pin packs, spin and putt preview or are we going by an honor system where these aren't allowed?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You can play with a DualShock 3 or with a Move remote. Your choice! But you won't be able to play the tournaments Foz is talking about because this FOFC country club is on the Xbox 360 version. You can start a club for PS3 players, though!

Sack, I just got the game if you want to start one on the PS3. I'm willing to do it as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #69
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
We have till tomorrow night to finish correct?

Correct.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #70
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It works with either, but we're on 360. Don't think you can play cross platform.

for real? i just picked it up for ps3 to play in this cc
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #71
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Sack, I just got the game if you want to start one on the PS3. I'm willing to do it as well.

That would be haaaaaard.

Mostly because I have the game on Xbox 360 and EA's on my shit list sufficient that even if I *might* have considered buying a PS3 copy also, I won't.

(I generally don't get sports games on PS3 because my multiplayer gaming happens on Xbox 360 in most cases.)

But between you and mauchow, there's at least two people who have interest in a PS3 country club. Get after it!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #72
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That would be haaaaaard.

Mostly because I have the game on Xbox 360 and EA's on my shit list sufficient that even if I *might* have considered buying a PS3 copy also, I won't.

(I generally don't get sports games on PS3 because my multiplayer gaming happens on Xbox 360 in most cases.)

But between you and mauchow, there's at least two people who have interest in a PS3 country club. Get after it!

Sorry, misread the post. Looks like finketr is the PS3 poster.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #73
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Sorry, misread the post. Looks like finketr is the PS3 poster.

I am.. do I just need/want the TW2014 that's on sale at target for 39?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #74
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
I am.. do I just need/want the TW2014 that's on sale at target for 39?

Yep! You can join a country club for your platform of choice with either basic or collector's. All collector's does for you is give you a few extra courses and the Masters clubs.

But if you want to join a PS3 country club, the $39 version of TW14 is sufficient. That, and a broadband connection.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #75
rockboy70
Mascot

So what level is everyone playing at? Got the game tonight, jumped in and played with the default settings/clubs - pro level, but used some spin and some putt previews (no pin packs). Shot a -10 (did have 2 lucky eagles on the back nine) in the current tourney. Just want to make sure for future rounds I'm using similar settings.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #76
dave731
High School JV

Have they added an option to create and run your own tour within your country club or is it still something you have to kind of run outside of the game? I'd imagine the tourney creation thing makes it easier to do.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #77
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We're using created golfers, and the rest is up to folks to decide.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #78
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think Dave won this round, I am not able to get online at the moment.

I've created seperate 1 round (Masters tough tournament) and TPC Sawgrass (4 rounds).. just to give us more play.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #79
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola: Finished 2 over, and I coulda finished any where from 2 under to 6 over.. Ajaxab leads with -5..
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #80
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I sent in a petition to join the FOFC country club, gamertag: thefinestcheese
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #81
SackAttack
Head Coach

Finished -5 at Augusta. Really should have been higher, but apparently tailwinds don't mean what I think they mean and having a 10mph wind at my back means I'm supposed to lose 15 yards on approach shots and end up in the drink.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #82
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I had a horrible round in the 1 day tourney at Augusta. But I tore it up in the final two rounds of the 4 day tourney at TPC Sawgrass. I set a 4 day total of -26.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #83
SackAttack
Head Coach

-9, -7, -5, -2. Fourth round I bogeyed 1 and 2 and got fucked over on 17 despite clubbing up into the wind.

Finished two shots behind cartman. Damnit.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #84
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I finished -19 or so, despite dropping two balls in the water on 18 in round 1, and a ball on 17 AND one on 18 in my third round.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #85
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I sent in a petition to join the FOFC country club, gamertag: thefinestcheese

Approved, you have 2+ days to do the one round (and I think 3+ days for the four rounder)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #86
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Tanx Fozz! I was all over the one rounder....and I mean that in the worst of ways. My guy had an ugly introduction to those Augusta greens.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #87
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, the pin placement was on Sunday, and they like to put it in scary scary places.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #88
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Thought I'd share this fun single player tourney I had yesterday:

It's the Winter Open at Oak Hill and as I set to tee off the likes of Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood and other big names were atop of the leaderboard all sitting at -6. I opened up my first round with a -6 score as well.

I was on the course early morning so it would be a chance for me to get an early start atop the leaderboard to make everyone intimidated by my quick start. I opened the round up with a Par-Birdie and sat by myself as the leader. Then disaster struck on Hole #3 (I think...), a Par 4 . My drive fell behind a tree and about 20 yards ahead of that lies a 10 foot-wide river that stretch as far as I could see. I wanted to try playing a riskier shot and getting closer to the green to increase my chance of getting a par. Well, the shot hit the tree in front of me and rolled into the river. My drop? In the rocks next to the river. My next shot? River again. Drop spot? Rocks again so I lay up this time. Then I took a horrible seventh shot onto the green. I go onto three putt in what would be a Rory'esque (at the Masters) hole for a lovely 10 spot on my scorecard. And just like that I was -1 and the others have joined the course and started to pull away.

I managed to muster together a decent rest of the round and finished +2 on the day to be tied for 37th at the end of the day with a -4 score. Bo Van Pelt was now the leader at -11 with McDowell, Rory and others -10.

The next day I started early in the day again and the conditions were AWWWFUL! 15-20 MPH winds and I knew it would be hell to make a comeback today but if there was a day to do it, it would be today when everyone probably struggles in these conditions. I was having a ho-hum round going into the back nine, sitting at -1 on the day and I ran some more pars before finally knocking down a 20 foot putt for birdie. Van Pelt was keeping pace with my -2 and was now sitting at -13 while I was -6. Everyone else was sticking at -9 and -10.

Then came the history last four holes of the round to set up a classic final day. Birdie, Par, Eagle, Birdie to finish at -10 for the day. Van Pelt finished the day at -14 and would be ahead of 6 people who were tied at -10. Tiger finished at -6 at the end of round three and would be one of the first to tee of for Round 4.

By the time I got to #9 Tiger had gone nuts and went -8 for the day to enter the clubhouse as the leader at -14 all by his lonesome. Van Pelt was at -13 and by this time I was at -11. The Back 9 is where magic happened.

I was sitting at -13 going into #16 and really needed a birdie with 7 people within one stroke of Tiger or tied with Tiger it was time to separate myself. I had to drain a 30 footer to tie Tiger. And it happened, the crowd went wild, I did a fist pump in my living room. But others birdied too, putting a major logjam at the top of the leaderboard. 6 people were now at -14 with four holes to go for the Van Pelt and Luke Donald pairing, who were both at -14 as well now.

And then came the Par 5, 520 yard #17 where I had just Eagled the day before to start this major comeback. The hole placement was on the far right of the green with about 25 feet total of green space right behind a bunker so the location required you to pretty much play the middle of the green that was wide open. I knock it onto the green on my second shot about 35 feet away and the putt broke right to start then came back left for the final 10 feet. I put good speed on the ball and brushed the edge of the hole and have to settle for 1 foot birdie. I was now the leader by myself...for the moment.

#18 was dramatic as well as it was probably the most difficult hole on the course, Par 4, 490 yards. A very difficult birdie for anybody. I gave myself a good opportunity though, just over 20 feet away I had a difficult birdie putt that I Just missed. Then I checked the leaderboard and everyone else just finished up on 16 and was on their ways to 17 still behind me by a stroke. So I was leader heading into the clubhouse. But that didn't last long as all four other golfers still on the course all birdied 17 and made par on the final hole to force a 5-way tie to end the 4 rounds. A 3 hole playoff was in order. We would start at #18, the most difficult hole.

The first hole would go in similar fashion as I missed a 25 footer but so did everyone else but Van Pelt. The 72 hole leader made bogey. Bo Van Pelt who had a comfortable lead to start the day has left the group and would finish tied for second at best now.

The next hole would be #17, the Par 5 that I had dominated the whole tournament.

Drive was identical to the one just a few minutes earlier. My second shot. Identical again, but two feet closer. So I had an eagle opportunity and the read was exactly the same as my previous putt. I made my adjustment and DRAINED it for the win.

BOOOM!

That was a fun tourney for me.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #89
BYU 14
Coordinator

Think I am going to pick this up today and join, sounds like fun. Will be my first TW in years, so I expect a steep learning curve.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #90
cmp
Pro Rookie

This looks like fun. Going to pick this up today.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #91
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Tried to finish up Sawgrass today but Xbox Live has been down.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #92
finketr
College Prospect

there's PS3 people, too in another thread.. somewhere.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #93
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Tried to finish up Sawgrass today but Xbox Live has been down.

It's back up, now.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #94
BYU 14
Coordinator

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to immediately play the Country Club tournament right away after picking up the game for the first time in years....Ugly round.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #95
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Maybe it wasn't a good idea to immediately play the Country Club tournament right away after picking up the game for the first time in years....Ugly round.

The big issues, I find, are learning how to deal with the wind when it's crazy, and distance if you're a lowbie (as my golfer was in the first tournament or two; up to level 30 now, I still have room to grow but it's not quite so challenging).
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #96
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, should we run a quasi-FOFC "tour"? (ie, one tournament a week, etcetera)

edit: Actually, what I was thinking about is to run a one-round and four-round tournament each week (I was thinking two one-rounders, one Mon-Thur, one Fri-Sun, but that maybe too much), and award 10-7-4-3-2-1 points for placing, and having winners of each area announced...

And if we keep gaining members, I would love to see a FOFC Ryder Cup between Trout and Squid

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-14-2013 at 07:37 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #97
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I would still be up for moving to Tour Pro difficulty. Using spin is a bit too much cheese for me. Plus, it might keep us from seeing unrealistic -32 scores winning tournaments.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #98
rockboy70
Mascot

Yup, I ended up having 4 consistent rounds. I'm fine with whatever difficulty, but if the spin and putt previews are there I tend to use them
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #99
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
The big issues, I find, are learning how to deal with the wind when it's crazy, and distance if you're a lowbie (as my golfer was in the first tournament or two; up to level 30 now, I still have room to grow but it's not quite so challenging).

Yeah, I found that out in a big way I also hit the RS a couple of times and moved my strike area without realizing it, have that fixed now. The final thing that helped was realizing I had an upgraded club set (bought the Masters edition) and after changing my clubs things are better. I am currently playing on the qualifying tour to level up and improve my putting, which is my weak spot ATM.

Game is a blast despite my early struggles.

Foz, maybe a 4 rounder that goes all week and a single 1 rounder over the weekend. Can the 4 and 1 rounders overlap days?

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup.