Hall Of Famer

Mal Moore, former Alabama Crimson Tide athletic director, dies at 73 - ESPN

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #52
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Combined with Amir Carlisle's injury, hurts us a lot for spring practice because I don't think we have a slot receiver left. Can't be too surprised about Neal leaving though.

UMass also lost a starting WR, Marken Michel. Interesting because he's the older brother of top 5 2014 recruit Sony Michel, and UMass coaches are alleging that an SEC school illegally contacted him and offered him a spot to help with their recruitment of Sony. I doubt that goes anywhere, and I don't even know if they'll push it with the NCAA, but interesting to me.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #53
digamma
Torchbearer

11 days after he retired. I think that beats Bear's record.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
. Can't be too surprised about Neal leaving though.

Trust me, after observing the dog and pony show that was this kid and his dad through his high school career up close (3 in 4 years BTW) the Irish are not missing anything. Great talent, but a huge PITA in all other aspects. They are saying it is to be close to his kid, but hearing they are not satisfied that he will be 'featured' the way they think he should in the ND offense.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Trust me, after observing the dog and pony show that was this kid and his dad through his high school career up close (3 in 4 years BTW) the Irish are not missing anything. Great talent, but a huge PITA in all other aspects. They are saying it is to be close to his kid, but hearing they are not satisfied that he will be 'featured' the way they think he should in the ND offense.

There definitely was something amiss when the Buckeyes were recruiting him. The rumor was the dad requested something extra and Urban immediately dropped interest.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

We're now up to like half a starting lineup of talented headcases that have left or decommitted from ND in the last 3 years. QB Gunner Kiel, WR's Neal, Ferguson and Deontay Greenberry at Houston. Aaron Lynch at DE and Ronald Darby and Tee Shephard at CB. Probably not too out of the ordinary, and a couple recruiting saga kids have worked out - Te'o, Stephon Tuitt, Cierre Wood all come to mind.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #57
Atocep
Coordinator

Pittsburgh papers reporting Shell is transferring to a PAC-12 school. The rumor is that it's Arizona.

Considering his family situation I really thought he'd end up staying closer to home.

Wherever he ends up, there's a considerable amount of baggage. He stayed in Chryst's doghouse most of last year and didn't show up for spring camp in the greatest shape.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #58
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/aubu...tas_for_glory/

I've never heard of roopstigo.com before, but it's a pretty interesting read.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #59
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
There definitely was something amiss when the Buckeyes were recruiting him. The rumor was the dad requested something extra and Urban immediately dropped interest.

He asked for some guarantees, Meyer pulled the offer and they then tried to twist it to make OSU look bad, as if they were the victims.

In terms of where he will end up, his Dad had a falling out with his HS coach who now has a none coaching position on Rich Rod's staff and U of A and he also told ASU he would consider them if they didn't hire another HS coach form here that he (Dad) didn't like, so Graham told him to take hike. So pretty sure the home state bridges are burned.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #60
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/aubu...tas_for_glory/

It's on ESPN now.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...cording-report

Last edited by Matthean : 04-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #61
Kodos
Resident Alien

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2051041
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Victims, Violations and Vendettas for Glory

Weren't ex-players (also awaiting trial or kicked off the team for being arrested iirc) alleging they had been paid money by Auburn/Trooper Taylor while being recruited or while at the school back around Thanksgiving 2010 as well? I guess Muschamp's name coming up and the grade-changing allegations are new, and I have no problem believing most of it is true, but I fail to see the NCAA doing much of anything now when they turned a blind eye then.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's fine. We'll just all erase the memory of them winning the title game, they can give the trophy back and a bunch of recruits in four years will get hit with sanctions.

That is if the investigators manage not to shit all over themselves at every possible opportunity, which might be too much to ask thinking about it. What a fucked up organization
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #64
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Auburn players got paid and altered grades? How is that different than any other major program the past 30 years. Heck, I saw/heard that at Carolina a long time ago. But being Auburn and SEC, they're the best at it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pittsburgh papers reporting Shell is transferring to a PAC-12 school. The rumor is that it's Arizona.

Considering his family situation I really thought he'd end up staying closer to home.

Wherever he ends up, there's a considerable amount of baggage. He stayed in Chryst's doghouse most of last year and didn't show up for spring camp in the greatest shape.

ASU I think
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #66
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
He asked for some guarantees, Meyer pulled the offer and they then tried to twist it to make OSU look bad, as if they were the victims.

In terms of where he will end up, his Dad had a falling out with his HS coach who now has a none coaching position on Rich Rod's staff and U of A and he also told ASU he would consider them if they didn't hire another HS coach form here that he (Dad) didn't like, so Graham told him to take hike. So pretty sure the home state bridges are burned.

I think he is taking a visit to Arizona
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #67
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

That is a little surprising, I will have to look into that. He would fit really well in that offense, but god, the baggage!!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #68
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mizzou's SEC recruiting woes starting to show
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #69
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like ESPN will add to the Auburn situation.

A darker side to the downfall of the Auburn Tigers -- ESPN The Magazine - ESPN
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #70
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:

PITT has blocked ASU, Arizona and the ACC
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #71
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
PITT has blocked ASU, Arizona and the ACC
That's some serious bullshit. Pitt isn't scheduled to play either if the Arizona schools through 2019. And while I guess I get the bitterness of not allowing him to play for their former coach that jilted the program after a year, why block Arizona?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #72
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's some serious bullshit. Pitt isn't scheduled to play either if the Arizona schools through 2019. And while I guess I get the bitterness of not allowing him to play for their former coach that jilted the program after a year, why block Arizona?

they have 2 ex-Pitt coaches on staff. RB coach who originally recruited him and recruiting cord.

it's a petty move by them and Ted Miller of ESPN is already ripping on them.

Shell is fighting it as well so we'll see in a week or so what happens.
Also Pitt did allow a player to transfer to ASU last year.

Last edited by SnDvls : 04-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #73
MrBug708
Head Coach

I went to Devils Digest to see what was being said about Shell/Pitt and man, that board is pretty hard to read.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #74
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Pitt cares about Shell too much to let him play for the Fraud or DickRod
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
Pitt cares about Shell too much to let him play for the Fraud or DickRod
Yeah, I mean why let the kid actually play for a successful program - that'd really throw him for a loop after being at Pitt.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #76
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Yeah, I mean why let the kid actually play for a successful program - that'd really throw him for a loop after being at Pitt.

Nice one but when Pitt has coaching stability, they've proven they can win 8 games with the best of them too

Technically, Shell can play for Arizona or Arizona State if he wants to. He would just have to pay his own way the first year. Honestly, I wish Pitt released him to Arizona State - he and the Fraud deserve one another.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #77
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
Nice one but when Pitt has coaching stability, they've proven they can win 8 games with the best of them too

Technically, Shell can play for Arizona or Arizona State if he wants to. He would just have to pay his own way the first year. Honestly, I wish Pitt released him to Arizona State - he and the Fraud deserve one another.
I think it's very unbecoming of a great academic institution like Pitt to be acting so petty with regard to Shell. And I'd say the same thing if it happened at Washington.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #78
Kodos
Resident Alien

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...nclick_check=1

Gunner is kicking the tires at Ball State. Hopefully Mommy likes Balls!

Last edited by Kodos : 04-07-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #79
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Pitt feels very strongly there is tampering by the asu staff. I have no idea if its legit, but i know that's why they blocked them.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #80
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Pitt feels very strongly there is tampering by the asu staff. I have no idea if its legit, but i know that's why they blocked them.
If that's what they think, then I understand their desire to block him. It still comes across as petty & vindictive though without any proof.

At the end of the day, Shell doesn't want to be at Pitt any more. That's Pitt's fault - it wouldn't matter if Graham or his staff was tampering if Shell was happy at Pitt, because he wouldn't be looking to leave.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If that's what they think, then I understand their desire to block him. It still comes across as petty & vindictive though without any proof.

At the end of the day, Shell doesn't want to be at Pitt any more. That's Pitt's fault - it wouldn't matter if Graham or his staff was tampering if Shell was happy at Pitt, because he wouldn't be looking to leave.

Maybe to you. Not to me. It feels to me like I see colleges blocking transfers to schools that hired former coaches all the time. And that's without allegations of tampering.

I don't think Pitt is under any obligation to make allowances for a transfer out except to allow those players the ability to go to a school where they feel they can be comfortable, get an education and get a chance to play football. And that goes for all schools with transfers.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #82
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Maybe to you. Not to me. It feels to me like I see colleges blocking transfers to schools that hired former coaches all the time. And that's without allegations of tampering.

I don't think Pitt is under any obligation to make allowances for a transfer out except to allow those players the ability to go to a school where they feel they can be comfortable, get an education and get a chance to play football. And that goes for all schools with transfers.
You're free to disagree. But I'm having a really hard time seeing any justification for blocking his choice of schools to transfer to without penalty that has the kid's best interests at heart - it's all about what's best for the institution.

I'm not someone that advocates full out payment to college athletes (though I would like to see an increase in the stipend) because A) I think the value of what they get in terms of education is already a great value, and B) the kids are under no obligation to go through the college process - if they want to get paid right away, go semi-pro, or CFL, or Arena League.

That said, I also think the system is gamed to benefit the schools more than the kids, and this is a great example of that. If Pitt has some proof that he's been tampered with, I can see the desire to not reward that behavior, but without that proof I think they simply need to accept that their program is not attractive enough to keep Shell from being tempted to leave, and rather than be petty with him, they should focus on improving themselves enough so that kids are less inclined to want to leave.

And as I said before, I'd say the same thing if it were a Washington Husky looking to transfer. I think this whole business of blocking where kids can transfer is bullshit.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #83
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm kind of split on the issue. I think not allowing a kid to transfer to ASU is fine. When a coach leaves a school, the LOI isn't released because the kid commits to a school, not a coach and it's part of the business. Just like a school does not have to release a kid from an LOI, the kid must sit out a year and essentially RS to leave the school. Maybe following a coach who doesn't have the kids best interests at heart and lied to a school, should be a good sign. If it means that much to the kid to play for Graham, he could easily go to a JC for a year and transfer unopposed to wherever his heart desires.

I also fully agree with any negative PR hit that Pitt takes in not allowing him to transfer to ASU.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #84
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really excited to have Henry Josey back on the team. Kid was one of the best rushers in the nation before his knee injury. Staff believes that he's back at full strength and speed.

Mizzou's Josey takes 'remarkable' step forward : Sports
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #85
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

but then why block Arizona too??? again petty move
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #86
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
I went to Devils Digest to see what was being said about Shell/Pitt and man, that board is pretty hard to read.

the unmoderated boards are hard to read on just about any site. Gotta get on the inside LOL
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #87
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:

Well, Davonte Neal decided to go to UofA over UCLA, which his Dad says was the front runner before they met with RichRod.

Now he is applying for a hardship waiver to play next year, which is another SMH moment in the drama that follows this kid.

I applaud him for moving back to be close to his daughter and be responsible as a father, but how the hell does that constitute a hardship that should allow him to play? Probably the better plan would be to sit, burn your redshirt year, focus on academics and taking care of your daughter and not worrying about being able to play this season.

I will be interested to see how the NCAA rules on this, but I can't imagine them granting a waiver.

Edit: His HS coach is actually the TE coach now at UA, but apparently the prior falling out was not a factor.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-11-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Didn't know if any of the other Mizzou fans have been watching the daily pics from the Mizzou coaches of the Rock Hill renovation. Moving a lot of dirt.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #89
britrock88
Pro Starter

I tend to slack off in the offseason, but the UNC spring game is tomorrow. Today, they unveiled a tweaked end zone design:

Essentially, they're bringing the argyle over from basketball. It's strange-looking, but unquestionably unique, so I can roll with it.

What's scarier about it is what it might portend for the unveiling of a new set of jerseys tomorrow. How often does Nike get a redesign right?...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #90
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hehe, not cool MrBug

Looking forward to this though, I live 15 minutes from UOP and will be taking up the poster in this thread who offered to share his beer with the BYU fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bug.JPG (33.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #91
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ha!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #92
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I tend to slack off in the offseason, but the UNC spring game is tomorrow. Today, they unveiled a tweaked end zone design:

Essentially, they're bringing the argyle over from basketball. It's strange-looking, but unquestionably unique, so I can roll with it.

What's scarier about it is what it might portend for the unveiling of a new set of jerseys tomorrow. How often does Nike get a redesign right?...

For a moment, I thought this was a picture of the crowd at today's game.

(20,000? Really? I saw the highlights and there's no way Keenan was one-third full. Looked decently full in one of the lower level sideline stands, though.)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #93
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
For a moment, I thought this was a picture of the crowd at today's game.

(20,000? Really? I saw the highlights and there's no way Keenan was one-third full. Looked decently full in one of the lower level sideline stands, though.)

Oh, and to follow up on the uniforms, they're hideous.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #94
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Estimated 40-50,000 at the Kentucky spring game last night. Check out last year's crowd compared to this year's:

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 04-14-2013 at 01:41 PM.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #95
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

UCLA
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #96
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Lewan
"If I do my job and do it 100 percent between the whistles and just try to physically dominate someone every single play and make them hurt at the end of the game, that's enough for me to go home happy every Saturday," he said. "I enjoy the pain of it. Maybe I'm a little messed up in the head, I don't know, but I enjoy hitting my face on another man's face and trying to put him in the dirt and make him feel every single inch of it.

"Something about that, it puts me on cloud nine."

This is a good read.

Taylor Lewan pays the price to be a Michigan Man - ESPN
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #97
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty clear why Kelly left Oregon.....

Reports: NCAA, Oregon Ducks agree 'major' violations committed by football program - ESPN
Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #98
Atocep
Coordinator

Clint Trickett transferring from FSU. Likely destination is WVU.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #99
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Clint Trickett transferring from FSU. Likely destination is WVU.

That was quick, I watched the spring game and didn't think he would be named the starter.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
UCLA

Really talented kid, but word about issues with him were coming out before he even signed at Pitt.

Sounds like there are more transferring out of that program as well. Rippy, who I mentioned, is expected to transfer and word is 3-4 more players in the program might be leaving.

2014 QB Chandler Kincade also decommitted today. Chryst seems to be having some issues.