Coordinator

You guys crack me up.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #52
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Yep, I was in the middle of the tutorial when I got a message telling me that the SimCity servers were down, and the game just stops allowing you to do anything.

Also, the cities are far too small.

And as bad as it is the always on DRM is probably only third on the list of concerns I have with it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
EA's servers which are the worst and most unreliable I've ever encountered in the industry.

+ Infinity
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone get DmC and if so, how is it?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #55
Blackadar
Retired

Amazon is running a heck of a deal right now. 5 indie games for $10.

Amazon.com: Microsoft 5-Game Arcade/Indie Pack [Download]: Video Games

But not just any 5 indie games....

Mark of the Ninja
Deadlight
Toy Soldiers
Iron Brigade
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Or you can get these individually for about $4 a pop. These are all supposed to be pretty good, but MotN is supposed to be one of the best games from last year with a Metacritic score of 91.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #56
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
MotN is supposed to be one of the best games from last year with a Metacritic score of 91.

Instantly reminded me of Shank when I watched the trailer.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #57
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Instantly reminded me of Shank when I watched the trailer.

It's by the same devs, but more about stealth gameplay than brawler.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #58
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It's by the same devs, but more about stealth gameplay than brawler.

I almost went and looked up to see if it was made by thr same guys. The art style is simply too close to not be the same devs.

Also:
Total War Shogun 2 Gets Gold Edition in March | Side Mission | GameTrailers
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

oh yeah...

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #60
Super Ugly
High School JV

Wow. Yes. Okay. That trailer has me salivating for the game even more.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #61
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
MotN is supposed to be one of the best games from last year with a Metacritic score of 91.

It was the only one that did anything for me so I just picked it up versus the five.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #62
mckerney
Coordinator

Anyone picking up Dungeonland?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
GTA V pushed back to September.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90U17120130131
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #64
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Does anyone have any insight on Omerta: City of Gangsters which is being released at the end of the month. As a turn based gangster game it seems to be the spiritual successor to Gangsters, which was a game I played the shit out of back in the day

Out today, I have to admit I'd been aware of this games development for a while but didn't know much about it. Reviews so far seem to say it's a decent game, though unfortunately more focused on the turn based combat than the managing of a mob empire.

I'd be a lot more interested if it was more of a management sim, as it is I'm still working many way through everything XCOM has to offer and probably won't be real interested in Omerta anytime soon. If I do pick it up I'll probably wait until it is around $5 or so and hope DLC or mods add more to the management side of things.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-31-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

wow, that's shitty news. I wish they would just make it for next gen stuff as a launch title if they're going to do that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #66
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
wow, that's shitty news. I wish they would just make it for next gen stuff as a launch title if they're going to do that.

That is one of the rumors floating out there about the delay.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #67
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The developer worked on the last couple of Tropico games and did a good job. It's a game I've had on my radar.

This (Omerta) looks and sounds absolutely terrible... I downloaded the demo and by the time it had finished I'd read so many horrible reviews about the game I didn't even bother installing it. Bummed about that, I'm in a gaming funk right now
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This (Omerta) looks and sounds absolutely terrible... I downloaded the demo and by the time it had finished I'd read so many horrible reviews about the game I didn't even bother installing it. Bummed about that, I'm in a gaming funk right now

That's a shame. I thought it looked interesting. Sounds like a $5 buy on Steam this Xmas.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #69
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's a shame. I thought it looked interesting. Sounds like a $5 buy on Steam this Xmas.

I was interested in it because I'd love a good mobster game, but the turn based combat that seems to be the biggest part of Omerta is the part I'm least interested in for a mobster sim. I was really hoping it would be like an older game that I think was called Gangsters where focused on buying businesses as fronts and legitimate enterprise, hiring thugs to run protection and control territory.

Last edited by mckerney : 02-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Damn, had high hopes for this, hate to hear this.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I was interested in it because I'd love a good mobster game, but the turn based combat that seems to be the biggest part of Omerta is the part I'm least interested in for a mobster sim. I was really hoping it would be like an older game that I think was called Gangsters where focused on buying businesses as fronts and legitimate enterprise, hiring thugs to run protection and control territory.

Sounds like even the turn based combat is laughably terrible

I also thought it would be just like Gangsters, which was an awesome game that aged pretty well. You can buy it through GOG and it's playable under Windows 7

Last edited by bhlloy : 02-01-2013 at 03:17 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #72
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Anyone with a ps3 playing ni no kuni? What a great rpg.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #73
mckerney
Coordinator

Brutal Legend has appeared in the Steam content database, would be great to see that come to PC.

Last edited by mckerney : 02-02-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #74
SackAttack
Head Coach

Amazon.com: Paradox 2012 Ultimate Pack [Download]: Video Games

What looks to be the entirety (so far) of Crusader Kings II, as well as CKI and "A Game of Dwarves" for $14.99.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #75
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Amazon.com: Paradox 2012 Ultimate Pack [Download]: Video Games

What looks to be the entirety (so far) of Crusader Kings II, as well as CKI and "A Game of Dwarves" for $14.99.

They're not sure on getting keys back in for this deal though. The Paradox reps that Amazon deals with are out of town for the Paradox convention and the Amazon guy had said if he didn't have the keys by today he didn't think they'd have them back in for this deal, or at least back in with the $5 off credit still going on.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

Nope, but I have heard great things and have it on my list to buy once I get through a bit more back log.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #77
mckerney
Coordinator

Shadowrun Returns screenshots!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #78
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
oh yeah...

Replaying the original game now. Will play the second and DLC before Infinite comes out. I love this series.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #79
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

It's the best RPG I've played since Chrono Trigger. Just really, really well done.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #80
mckerney
Coordinator

I played a few hours of Path of Exile tonight and have loved it so far. Anyone else who was disappointed in Diablo III should check it out, especially since it's free to play model is just about perfect.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #81
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's the best RPG I've played since Chrono Trigger. Just really, really well done.

I fully agree. And you can tell that Level 5 really put their heart and soul into the thing. The localisation is top notch.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #82
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I played a few hours of Path of Exile tonight and have loved it so far. Anyone else who was disappointed in Diablo III should check it out, especially since it's free to play model is just about perfect.

I grouped with two friends for about 2-3 hours in this one and enjoyed it quite a bit. I have a couple frustrations with the interface, but overall, it felt pretty damn solid.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #83
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm waiting for the last character wipes. I got my fill during closed beta, and I didn't feel like getting attached to builds only to have them wiped again and again.

Last edited by Matthean : 02-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #84
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm waiting for the last character wipes. I got my fill during closed beta, and I didn't feel like getting attached to builds only to have them wiped again and again.

They just went into open beta and won't have any more character wipes.

Forum - Announcements - How the Open Beta launch will work - Path of Exile

Quote:
All characters will be reverted to level 1 and moved to new Default and Hardcore leagues. Their items will be destroyed, other than Demigod's Presences and pets. This is the final wipe the game will ever have.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #86
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So. Many. Games!

I have Ni No Kuni in the queue. Shadowrun Returns looks really great; what I read about it in the Gamespot magazine has really piqued my interest. I've also got some stuff still to finish in Pokemon Black 2 (I want to have the game beat by the time I go to PAX East). And today I downloaded Fire Emblem: Awakening for my 3DS.

Is anybody else going to play that one? I'm hearing great things about it...never played any of the games in the series, but it sounds like another turn-based tactical RPG, which I tend to like.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #87
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Has anyone checked out Skulls of the Shogun? I played the trial a bit and it seems like a fun little strategy game with some good personality. I'll probably pick it up at some point, either when it goes on sale or when my current queue of games shortens up a bit.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #88
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Has anyone checked out Skulls of the Shogun? I played the trial a bit and it seems like a fun little strategy game with some good personality. I'll probably pick it up at some point, either when it goes on sale or when my current queue of games shortens up a bit.

I may pick it up if they release it outside the Windows store.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
So. Many. Games.

I'm having some of this right now myself, in spite of relatively few recent purchases.

I'm playing NBA 2k at my son's behest. Surprisingly addictive, considering I haven't played a b'ball game since the gamestopping bug in one of the old college hoops games years ago (where your career mode got stuck if you couldn't use up all your coach improvement points).

I'd like to get back to Skyrim & finish both the Dragonborn DLC storyline and then the main storyline. I'm in beast mode at this point & an already have a rather silly amount of gold but it'd be nice to actually finish a game.

I really ought to play Black Ops 2 again, if only to keep my already meager skills from atrophying.

I'd really like to take another crack at X-Com, but where the hell to find the time? If I'm gonna play, I'd like to get in a groove with it but & roll for a while (even if I'm sucking) but well.... see above.

A good problem to have I guess.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #90
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So far I like the changes made to PoE. You can definitely see they went and made the starting difficulty harder.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm considering more and more just sitting out this next round of consoles. If they follow the model where you can only use the game on the console that it was activated on, this next generation is going to die a quick death. I suppose the only thing that they have going for them is that they can stop the activation code nonsense if they want to do so at some point.

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect | News | Edge Online
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #92
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think the next generation is screwed. Why would I buy an XBox 720 over something like an Ouya? It will cost me 4-5 times as much for the system, games will be $60 and there will be about 2 titles a year that interest me. If the Ouya and it's competitors take off I bet within a year or two there will be piles of games coming out that are interesting and fun for a fifth of the price of the AAA titles on the XBox. I think there is a massive consumer shift happening right now that Sony/MS/Nintendo are not fully understanding, and it's going to bite them huge.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the next generation is screwed. Why would I buy an XBox 720 over something like an Ouya? It will cost me 4-5 times as much for the system, games will be $60 and there will be about 2 titles a year that interest me.

If there's only 2 titles per year that you're interested in, I'm not entirely sure why you bought the 360, much less the 720.

I'm lucky if my kid doesn't find 2 new titles each month (and would if he weren't actually trying to be fiscally responsible). Heck, even my narrow tastes probably come up with a half dozen to a dozen each year.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #94
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm considering more and more just sitting out this next round of consoles. If they follow the model where you can only use the game on the console that it was activated on, this next generation is going to die a quick death. I suppose the only thing that they have going for them is that they can stop the activation code nonsense if they want to do so at some point.

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect | News | Edge Online

I just read this. WTF are they thinking? I mean, I kind of know what they are thinking, but, it's the wrong thinking in my opinion. After reading that article, the new Xbox is off my list of things to get. Next gen anything, should be LESS of a hassle than the previous generation, not MORE of a hassle.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #95
whomario
Pro Starter

Doesnīt surprise me at all. Itīs interesting but not exactly news how extreme the contrast between convergence on one hand (every device offering a host of secondary and tertiary uses for non-core content) and divergence on the other (ever more devices and more exclusivity for the main content of a system) has become in the last couple of years.
Itīs easier and easier to play/use the same stuff on multiple devices in theory, but in practice itīll either cost you extra or wonīt work without 3rd party aplications (which arenīt legal for use of course).

We are propably farther away from the magical user friendly Black Box than we were 5 years ago ...

Things like the Ouya will not "take off", imo. There is just too much money and connection within the current triumvirate (MS, Sony, Nintendo) for a start up to make a dent in. I just donīt think the quality of the games will be there, either.
And the type of games that i can see being really good on it (and looking at the list of confirmed games List of Ouya software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) are propably the same sort that you can play on decent PCs for a cheap price as well (action/adventure games, point and click games and online-based rpg types) and with things like the new Steam big picture thing it propably comes close enough to the same sort of feel.

And when i then read about them bringing out a new model every year then this does not convey much trust in their initial design and long term usability. (Ouya chief: We'll launch a new console every year | Tech Culture - CNET News)
So instead of paying 400 or 500 once, i get to pay 99 multiple times for a slight upgrade ? (which they wouldnīt propose if there werenīt serious incentives like new games not being compatible on older consoles)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #96
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

But you won't need the newest Ouya every year I don't imagine. It will be like cellphones or tablets, all but the most avid users will probably be fine upgrading every 2-3 years. I'd rather spend $100 every 2-3 years than $400 up front.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #97
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If there's only 2 titles per year that you're interested in, I'm not entirely sure why you bought the 360, much less the 720.

I'm lucky if my kid doesn't find 2 new titles each month (and would if he weren't actually trying to be fiscally responsible). Heck, even my narrow tastes probably come up with a half dozen to a dozen each year.

I was interested in more games originally, but how many times can I buy Call of Duty, NHL, or Madden before I start to question spending another $60 on what is basically the same thing I've already played?

Let me put it this way: I have both a Wii and a 360. I haven't played a Wii game in years. I go through a short NHL burst every 8-12 months on the 360. That's it. However, I have a laptop that I buy and play games on all the time. The games cost me $5-10 each, and many are the same ones my friends paid big bucks for on the 360 (Batman Arkham Asylum/City, etc), as well as a bunch of others that aren't even on consoles. Finally, I have an iPad that my kids and myself use CONSTANTLY, to the point where it runs to no battery at least once a day. The games aren't nearly as grand, but they cost $1-4 each and provide hours of fun regardless. And there are new ones constantly.

I think consumers are trending in a similar fashion that I am. Less interest in Giant Game 7 for $60 that is a minor upgrade from Giant Game 6 that came out the year before, and more interest in lots of smaller games with original ideas that cost a handful of dollars.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #98
cartman
Death Herald

The consoles are moving away from being "game playing devices" to "home entertainment hubs". Games will only be one of the many things they will do.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #99
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

People think MMOs are costly due to the sub, but I saved money by playing City of Heroes since I wasn't going out and buying so many console games. Now that I have further gone back to PC games with Steam deals, some F2P games, etc., I see little reason to ever really play console games.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Less interest in Giant Game 7 for $60 that is a minor upgrade from Giant Game 6 that came out the year before

Black Ops 2 begs to differ