Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #51
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
New game is released today. Curious if anyone has taken it for a spin yet.

I have. I pre-ordered and managed to take a couple stages for a spin last night.

The UI is MUCH more user-friendly for new/casual fans. You can group the riders on your team into "groups" in the squad screen ("A" team and "B" team, or "A climbers" "B climbers" "A Sprinters" "B Sprinters" for example).

It remains to be seen how well it worked, but I always hated setting up training schedules to try to get my guys to peak at the right time (in fact I never bothered), so I'm excited that the game does that for you now.

In-race looks beautiful still. One issue (that will get sorted) is riders disappearing (and reappearing) when you go 8x. Other than that - the changes to attacking behavior seem to work well, at least to my eyes so far.

Played Alp d'Huez, the cancelled Giro climb, and a couple sprint stages. Attacked too early on both climbs and had nothing left to counter the other big guns so finished 4th both times. Peleton splits really really nicely though. On Alp d'Huez I was isolated in a group with Samuel Sanchez (me), Contador, Froome, and Joaquim Rodriguez by the time we reached the first summit. By the time we'd hit the second climb of it there were like...15 different groups - people were strung out across the mountain like mad, which IMO is realistic.

Sprints seem to still work fine. I almost blew one by waiting until too late to have Cav start his sprint, but won on the line by a wheel. I always seem to wait until almost too late. Also had a better, less nervy sprint finish where I didn't wait till too late.

I'm sure there's bugs, and I'm sure some of the guys on pcmdaily.com will tear it apart this weekend and find some, but ATM it plays pretty well out of the box for the first couple runs-through.

I may work from home today so I can take a little gaming break here or there and get in a few more stages.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #52
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems there are some pretty gamebreaking bugs with career although 3D race AI seems improved, is that a fair shake DT (or anyone else who has picked it up)?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #53
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Seems there are some pretty gamebreaking bugs with career although 3D race AI seems improved, is that a fair shake DT (or anyone else who has picked it up)?

3d race AI is much better - especially mountains. Still potentially some tweaking to be done to peleton pulling back breakaways, but mountain AI is night and day better. Sprint AI seems good too.

"Gamebreaking" bugs in Career mode - the major one was to do with being unable to sign riders, which has already been patched. There's people complaining about this and that, but that was really the major one I think. Well that and some (justified) suggestions about improving the new scheduling system (why won't it let you filter what races are objectives for your guys by what you're registered for? that seems common sense), and a bit of rider happiness being bugged, but those will get sorted out.

I've started a custom team career game and while I know I will restart once the PCM Expansion pack comes out and the bugs are quashed, I'm having fun with it right now. No serious "gamebreaking" bugs for me, because I know I won't ever get to the point of needing to resign these guys or keep them happy - just enjoying the races and using it to "scout" guys for my real career and to refine my techniques (I'm pretty damn good in sprints these days - although it obviously helps to have Tony Martin leading my sprint train ).

If you're price-sensitive then maybe wait for the patches and a potential price-drop on Steam (although that doesn't happen often IIRC). Otherwise I mean...it's playable now and I'm confident that it'll get patched to be even more playable (even if Cyanide's history suggests it won't be patched to "perfect.")

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-26-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
Critch
lolzcat

New patch yesterday (I think). 3d race AI still feels a bit strange with breakaways, on some breakaways no other team will chase it down, it's all down to you. The gap will get bigger and bigger with nobody making any attempt to catch. One stage I didnt bother chasing and the breakaway ended up winning with an 8+ minute gap.

The career side still seems to have a lot of balance issues too.

So for me it's still a patch or two away from being worth spending time with.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #55
whomario
Pro Starter

just watched a let´s play type video that has me itching to get this ... the new way to plan the season for each player is terrific. No more stupid click fest, just tell the game the races where to peak and voila.

Think i´m gonna finish my current (2017) season and then upgrade, could coincide well with the steam sale
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #56
whomario
Pro Starter

game is down 25%, aparently through all the summer sale. Now the question is if you´ll hope for a better offer or take it now

(personally i caved and bought the game just now, the fact that the mountain AI seems highly improved and you can use old variants for races, and many get converted as we speak, convinced me)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
game is down 25%, aparently through all the summer sale. Now the question is if you´ll hope for a better offer or take it now

(personally i caved and bought the game just now, the fact that the mountain AI seems highly improved and you can use old variants for races, and many get converted as we speak, convinced me)

Nice deal. Might have to remember that for next year...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #58
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm still waiting for the pcmdaily db to start a serious career, and hopefully another patch that fixes a couple of annoyances, but no doubt the actual races are much more fun and realistic
Old 07-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm still waiting for the pcmdaily db to start a serious career, and hopefully another patch that fixes a couple of annoyances, but no doubt the actual races are much more fun and realistic

Yeah - just messing around in a career myself to get a feel for the different actual races and my tactics.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #60
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

PCM2012 hit 50% off in a flash sale last summer, so it might yet go lower.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #61
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So ... is it worth it to grab 2012 for $9.99 or is 2013 worth the extra money?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #62
bhlloy
Coordinator

2012 might actually be the better pure sim game right now (couple of bugs in 2013 still plus a few features were removed/changed) but if you want to actually manage the races themselves instead of just simming 2013 seems to blow it out of the water.

So yeah, I'd say 2013 is worth the money. Not sure how much value you are just going to get out of it by treating it like a text sim.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #63
whomario
Pro Starter

If past versions are an indication though, by end of July or early August PCM 13 will be as good in the management aspect. It´s generally been a 3-patch game with the 3rd one focussing on the career aspect, AFAIK.

I´d just wait for the end of the sale if there´s a flash sale, then you can still make that choice.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #64
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Is there any kind of demo? I keep trying to decide if I would like this or not.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Is there any kind of demo? I keep trying to decide if I would like this or not.

Unfortunately not - never have been any. Are previous versions on sale at all anywhere - that could be a cheap way to figure out if you'd like it.

Alternatively are there videos out there on youtube that are "Let's Play" style? Or you can come over and try it at my place?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #66
Ryan S
Quarterback

Don't upgrade to Windows 8.1 until a patch is released, as it won't start up at all (this applies to PCM 2012 and 2013).

It sounds like they don't plan to fix this until the final release of Windows 8.1 is ready, so a fix could be a few months down the line.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Don't upgrade to Windows 8.1 until a patch is released, as it won't start up at all (this applies to PCM 2012 and 2013).

It sounds like they don't plan to fix this until the final release of Windows 8.1 is ready, so a fix could be a few months down the line.

FUSTERCLUCK!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #68
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Disapointed that there were no deals on Steam beyond the 25% through this sale.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #69
bhlloy
Coordinator

Patch out tomorrow morning. Hopefully PCMDaily DB shortly after and I can finally start a career
Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #70
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

One thing I am not clear on.. with this game is it a career or just one season? Looking at past versions it seems to suggest one season, but the newer version indicates a multiple season career.

I'm still torn on deciding if I want to pull the trigger on this or not.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

Very much a career game Alan