Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #51
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Been through Katrina and Gustav and now my house in NJ is under a mandatory evacuation for Irene

Jeez, stay safe bud. EF is also probably under one, I know we have a few FOFcers in that area. Stay safe.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #52
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Wise choice.

What I'm seeing from a weather forecaster that I really trust way more than others, this could be a historic storm for OBX.

Evan Stewart?

If not, I might have to fight you
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #53
Landshark44
High School Varsity

i live on the beach. we are getting evacuated tomorrow, the whole island has 24 hours to clear out....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Stay safe, ls. I will be driving into ac in the morning to go to work.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #55
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

My brother in law has to fly jets out of the navy base in VA for the next day.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #56
Logan
Head Coach

Heard there's an evacuation of Atlantic City planned for 6am tomorrow.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, here's the deal: If you're in the path of this bitch, stay safe. Do what you have to do to accomplish that. Inconvenience beats the hell out of dying & none of you get paid like Jim Cantore to ride out a storm.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #58
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'm actually "riding out" the storm on my own. My wife took the kids to Charlotte because she didn't want to have to worry about the stress of being here when it passes through (my oldest daughter is very anxiety-prone and makes much of small things, so the combined stress levels of all involved should improve if they aren't here--even if here isn't really going to get much other than some strong winds and rain).

They just put out the 11 PM advisory and it looks like Irene in the near term will be ramping up a bit, but the forecaster mentions that it may weaken a little before landfall, which is currently projected just west of Morehead City. Bogue Banks is absolutely going to get crushed by this one. None of the other Outer Banks will be doing too well, either, as all of them from Bogue Banks northward will be on the east side of the storm during Irene's passing. There will be some heavy damage, a lot of overwash, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another inlet cut somewhere like what happened with Isabelle several years ago (albeit temporarily as the Army CoE will fill it back in because all the folks with their nice beach homes will still try hard to believe that the Outer Banks are a permanent geographic fixture and not the gigantic sand bars that they actually are).

Around here, we'll be on the periphery of whatever nastiness will be dealt out. Some high winds (maybe pushing towards tropical storm force sustained) and some heavy rain for a few hours Saturday afternoon. If Irene came ashore down towards Wilmington/Myrtle Beach (or if I lived somewhere on the east side of I-95), I'd be a lot more worried about things. As it is, should have a fair number of downed branches to pick up afterwards.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #59
Ironhead
College Prospect

The good news - the most recent tracking from an hour ago has the storm pushing further out towards the Jersey coast. For a while the tracking was pushing further inland.

The bad news - the new projected tracking passes within feet of my house. I'm ready to bolt if need be.

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-25-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #60
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You have favorite weather forecasters? How OLD are you?

Er, yeah... I don't see how that's a sign of being "old". He's not a TV guy, but a guy that has a website and in every major storm for the last year (snow or otherwise) has been way more accurate and further ahead than weather.com, accuweather, or any of the TV guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I hope Dawson, Joey, and Pacey are ok.

Silly West Coaster, they were in Wilmington, not OBX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #61
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Evan Stewart?

If not, I might have to fight you

I don't know who Evan Stewart is.

This is the guy from wxrisk.com

He writes.. umm.. VERY poorly... but his information and forecasts are amazing. He's had this storm nailed since Monday.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #62
Easy Mac

Quote:
Er, yeah... I don't see how that's a sign of being "old". He's not a TV guy, but a guy that has a website and in every major storm for the last year (snow or otherwise) has been way more accurate and further ahead than weather.com, accuweather, or any of the TV guys.

What about Jett Jackson?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #63
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
What about Jett Jackson?

I have no idea who that is.

I don't know weather guys. I just know that this dude is way more accurate than any TV guy I've seen, TWC, or Accuweather.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #64
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

In my experience, only old people watch the weather closely enough to have a favorite forecaster.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #65
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We've got a guy who used to do weather in Lexington and is now in the Ashland/WVa area, I believe, who runs a site called kentuckyweathercenter.com. It's awesome. He updates it every day, gives not just that day's outlook but overal long-term trends/forecasting, etc. During winter the blog is fun as hell, as we try to figure out if we're gonna get snow. Of course, I've been following weather for years going back to when I was in Florida and it was part of my job to care about whether hurricanes were going to hit. Was involved in a bunch of litigation involving insurer hurricane forecasting models.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #66
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Right now the forecast is for 12-15 hours of tropical force winds and 5-10 inches of rain where I live. The only thing I'm really worried about is long term power outages. Tree trimming near power lines is nearly non-existent around here. Next week is going to be rough.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #67
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
I'm so out of touch. I had no idea you had moved. I feel like I've let you down by not stalking you better here at FOFC. I'll do better!

With you. I missed that move.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #68
spleen1015
Coordinator

A big implementation here at work got postponed because half of the team is in NJ.

Thanks, Irene. Now I have to work Labor Day weekend.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #69
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dola,

I hope you east coasters stay safe through this.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #70
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

First reported power outage in the Lowcountry.

Power out on Folly as Irene starts to affect coast | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #71
Ben E Lou

As the forecast relates to the area in and around Charleston, it basically has been completely unchanged for ~36 hours. The Charleston County School System gave no hint that they might be considering a closing, then at 9:30 last night they decide to close. They said it was based on the 8pm forecast..which was no different from the 5pm forecast...which was no different from the 2pm forecast... Awesome. I agree with their primary reasoning:

1. strong possibility of flooding downtown
2. quite a few school bus routes have to cross Charleston's elevated bridges. Several of those are likely to need to be closed for at least part of the day. But again, the wind speed forecast hasn't changed a bit. This call could easily have been made Thursday morning.

Even better, there's Berkeley County. Part of Berkeley County extends almost all the way to the coast, to basically an island that cannot be accessed apart from one of two huge bridges. Same issue as Charleston County--those suckers will likely need to shut down later today.

So Berkeley County decides to wait unti 8am this morning to decide to do a half-day.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #72
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Right now the forecast is for 12-15 hours of tropical force winds and 5-10 inches of rain where I live. The only thing I'm really worried about is long term power outages. Tree trimming near power lines is nearly non-existent around here. Next week is going to be rough.

Hey keep an eye on my two brothers who live in the Newburgh area, will ya? And oh yeah stay safe yourself too.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah downtown Charleston basically floods if someone sneezes, and all those high bridges, made little sense to delay a decision on the schools till last night-better safe than sorry and school officials should have known better.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #74
Thomkal
Head Coach

We are getting our first Irene related rain showers here in Myrtle Beach. Thankfully I had just finished the yard cleanup and preparations for the storm so that worked out nicely.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-26-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #75
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Well Kevin Williamson was from OBX, that's why his production company is named Outerbanks...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #76
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

We're on the non-mandatory side of the cutoff. We have floods here with a normal storm so I am moving everything to high ground today and may pack the family in the car and drive for a day to see where we end up.

This has been one strange week, that's for sure.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #77
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I have no idea who that is.

I don't know weather guys. I just know that this dude is way more accurate than any TV guy I've seen, TWC, or Accuweather.

But he doesn't look as good as Jackie Johnson...

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #79
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Hey keep an eye on my two brothers who live in the Newburgh area, will ya? And oh yeah stay safe yourself too.

Where are they?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #80
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
In my experience, only old people watch the weather closely enough to have a favorite forecaster.

I guess it mostly comes from it being critical in my job to know about major whether events and how it may impact navy base closures, etc.

I work for an application that does time and attendance, so many time it is super critical for me to be on top of major weather events and who, what, when, where, and how it may have an impact.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #81
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Stay safe guys, our engineers were to fly to Delaware this weekend and that has now been cancelled.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #82
Ben E Lou

First rain/wind effects at my house (8ish miles from the coast). Winds gusting to 30mph.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #83
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Weird, the town I used to live in just had a CNN reporter on the boardwalk and there is a mandatory evacuation. I remember the last time a hurricane hit NJ, probaqbly about 25 years ago.

I hope everyone stays safe and is smart enought to take the threats seriously.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #84
Ksyrup

Ha!

National Weather Service thinks #HurricaneIrene has potential to be so insane they're changing name to #HurricaneNancyGrace
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #85
Ben E Lou

Just another Saturday afternoon in Morehead City?

Saturday
Hurricane conditions expected. Showers with isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the lower 80s. Northeast winds 85 to 105 mph with gusts up to 130 mph... becoming northwest 80 to 100 mph with gusts up to 120 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #86
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ha!

National Weather Service thinks #HurricaneIrene has potential to be so insane they're changing name to #HurricaneNancyGrace

Winnah!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Where are they?

One in Newburgh, other in Marlboro. I'm from the "better" side of the river, Wappingers Falls.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #88
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I had no idea. We currently live in New Windsor, but if my wife and I decide to stay in the area we'll look in the Marlboro area.

And I hope your brother lives in Newburgh town rather than Newburgh city.

edit: If I see them blow by I'll try and catch them!

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #89
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I had no idea. We currently live in New Windsor, but if my wife and I decide to stay in the area we'll look in the Marlboro area.

And I hope your brother lives in Newburgh town rather than Newburgh city.

edit: If I see them blow by I'll try and catch them!

That's all I ask JPhillips! Stay safe!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #90
CAsterling
High School JV

[quote=Blackadar;2516483]Every time I hear "Irene", I think of Black Hawk Down. QUOTE]

+1
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that - every time I mention Black Hawk Down I get blank looks
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #91
Ben E Lou

Quote:
...and all those high bridges...
Unconfirmed FB rumor that all of the major Charleston bridges are closing at 3pm, through the night.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #92
Ksyrup

Whatever you do, if it's bad, for Godsake don't go into your local grocery store and berate/yell at the workers because the store is out of milk and bread. I got that one the morning after Andrew at the store I was working at during summer break.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #93
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Unconfirmed FB rumor that all of the major Charleston bridges are closing at 3pm, through the night.

Did this happen Ben? I've been on a few, especially the newest one, and none should be open if you are getting 40-50 mph winds on them.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #94
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Did this happen Ben? I've been on a few, especially the newest one, and none should be open if you are getting 40-50 mph winds on them.
Not yet. An official word got posted that if they get to 40 mph, they're shutting down. We're definitely not there yet at my house, and evidently not in the harbor, either.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #95
JediKooter
Coordinator

Well everybody, batten down the hatches. I hope the storm loses its punch before it reaches anyone, but, please be careful and make sure you have at least a couple of escape routes if you need them. Put those important papers and pictures in some ziploc bags (I recommend double or triple bagging them). All in all, just be safe and be careful and I hope everything turns out for the better.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #96
PilotMan
Head Coach

You guys are free to head to Cincinnati. We are going to have sunny skies and cool temps the next few days. Have fun with all of this while I follow along. BTW, I have not had to, and wont, fly in this one, but I have had to in some TrpclStms in Florida and Texas.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #97
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

This pier in this cam will be history soon.. Surf City Topsail Island Web Cam - Live Web Cams, Surf Reports, and Weather - SurfChex.com
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #98
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Weird, the town I used to live in just had a CNN reporter on the boardwalk and there is a mandatory evacuation. I remember the last time a hurricane hit NJ, probaqbly about 25 years ago.

I hope everyone stays safe and is smart enought to take the threats seriously.

Try '99. Floyd killed Bound Brook and Manville in Central NJ and I expect more of the same.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #99
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Floyd was a tropical storm by the time it hit NJ, but regardless, the amount of damage can be epic either way.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #100
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hope all in the carolinas are safe. We went west in pa to ride this out. Hope we still have a home when we try to return on Monday... but at least we will have been safer by going here.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote