Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Here is a link to the salaries.

Football Bowl Subdivision coaches salaries for 2010 - USATODAY.com
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #52
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Unless the next coach has a job he would not leave before January 4.

You have to wait 7 days for the job to post. So whoever the new coach is would have 3 weeks to recruit. Plus 1.5 million is nothing to UM donors. Brandon can call Dolphins owner Stephen Ross at any time and get money. Brandon is just handling this really terribly.

For the record I don't think we get Harbaugh. Even if he signs an extension at Stanford I put the chances of him actually being their coach next year at about 5%. He'll be in the NFL barring a lockout if he isn't at Michigan.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #53
bronconick
College Starter

Watching Brandon, I'm wondering if he didn't take some habit of doing yearly reviews with his subordinates from Domino's to Michigan and he isn't realizing or doesn't care that he's completely sabotaging the 2011 recruiting class since there's nothing comparable in the business world to having to stroke the egos of 17 year old kids to succeed.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
All that means is that Stanford will get more money back in a buyout from whichever school or NFL team plucks him away.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #55
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Watching Brandon, I'm wondering if he didn't take some habit of doing yearly reviews with his subordinates from Domino's to Michigan and he isn't realizing or doesn't care that he's completely sabotaging the 2011 recruiting class since there's nothing comparable in the business world to having to stroke the egos of 17 year old kids to succeed.

I get the vibe he thinks he knows all and wants to prove he is right. The Scout guy (who is an idiot but is more connected to this staff than Rivals) basically implied RR went to Brandon before Grobangate and said he'd make changes on his staff to get another chance. Brandon apparently dismissed him quoting his timeline. My guess is he and RR have an agreement on changes but Brandon has a guy(s) he wants and thinks he will get them. If he doesn't RR comes back at the expense of his recruiting class.

No win all the way around for Rich at this point.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #56
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
All that means is that Stanford will get more money back in a buyout from whichever school or NFL team plucks him away.

Also, it is just the AD saving face. The fact that Harbaugh dodges every question about his future when he apparently has acknowledged a possible extension doesn't exactly look good. Stanford's AD was in the middle of the Ferentz/Fry change at Iowa though so he knows how to play this game as well as anyone.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Who delivers your pizzas?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #58
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper View Post
Is that Bobby Bowden behind them picking his nose in the state trooper getup?

Nice catch!
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #59
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Agreed. There is no logical reason for Harbaugh to stay at Stanford when there are way more lucrative jobs out there, either in college or the NFL.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #60
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rumor going around that Pellini has gotten permission to interview with Miami. NO idea if it's true or not, but that would be an interesting blow to Nebraska
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #61
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Agreed. There is no logical reason for Harbaugh to stay at Stanford when there are way more lucrative jobs out there, either in college or the NFL.
While I understand it, I never liked that line of thinking from coaches. I guess I don't get why someone would want to just be another cog in the machine of a program that is already established vs being the Woody Hayes of a program that is not.

I guess when I look back at the greatest college coaches ever, most of them actually built a program. They didn't piggyback on to a program that another legendary coach built. So if I'm Harbaugh, I can do the Michigan thing and be another name on the wall, or I can be "the guy" people think of when they think of Stanford football. And maybe someone is talking about the Stanford job like they talk about the Michigan job, and that's thanks to him.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #62
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
While I understand it, I never liked that line of thinking from coaches. I guess I don't get why someone would want to just be another cog in the machine of a program that is already established vs being the Woody Hayes of a program that is not.

I guess when I look back at the greatest college coaches ever, most of them actually built a program. They didn't piggyback on to a program that another legendary coach built. So if I'm Harbaugh, I can do the Michigan thing and be another name on the wall, or I can be "the guy" people think of when they think of Stanford football. And maybe someone is talking about the Stanford job like they talk about the Michigan job, and that's thanks to him.

I get what you are saying, but here's the thing: Stanford will never be a Michigan, USC, Florida, Alabama, etc..., and guys like Harbaugh know this. Stanford is not a place that guys go to end their career, it is a building block for someone like Harbaugh to show what he can do, so the big time programs notice him. The same can be said about a place like Boise State, TCU, Cal, and dozens of other "good but not great" programs.

I don't blame these guys at all for leaving a place like Stanford for Michigan. He will get better recruits, have a bigger budget, and better facilities. Oh, and more money as well. People just care more at Michigan than at a Stanford. Unfortunately, that is just how it is and I don't see that ever changing.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #63
Swaggs
Coordinator

Oddly, WVU offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen (a man that is very unpopular among fans and will possibly be fired at the end of the season) is seen as one of the two front runners for the Kent State head coaching job.

He seems to be a very good quarterback coach, but he has been criticized for having too complicated of an offense, too much motion, and unable to utilize (what our fans believe, at least) the considerable offensive talent at his disposal.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #64
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but here's the thing: Stanford will never be a Michigan, USC, Florida, Alabama, etc..., and guys like Harbaugh know this. Stanford is not a place that guys go to end their career, it is a building block for someone like Harbaugh to show what he can do, so the big time programs notice him. The same can be said about a place like Boise State, TCU, Cal, and dozens of other "good but not great" programs.

I don't blame these guys at all for leaving a place like Stanford for Michigan. He will get better recruits, have a bigger budget, and better facilities. Oh, and more money as well. People just care more at Michigan than at a Stanford. Unfortunately, that is just how it is and I don't see that ever changing.

True. If he goes to Michigan though, there's a good chance he'll be fired in 4-5 years just because the expectations there are so unreliastic. Then he'd be looking at a step down somewhere else. There's some amount of money that would make that worth it, I guess. But college coaches go from golden boy to useless VERY quickly. (look at the last guy that went from Stanford to Notre Dame, a Michigan-like program in decline.) He could live comfortably in Stanford, be the king, have the occasional bad year. I think that's what Peterson has done in Boise, at least to this point. Lifestyle has to be a consideration for somebody.

Last edited by molson : 12-09-2010 at 10:32 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #65
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Rumor going around that Pellini has gotten permission to interview with Miami. NO idea if it's true or not, but that would be an interesting blow to Nebraska

The Miami Herald is reporting the AD has talked with Da Mullen, Randy Edsall, and Tommy Tuberville as well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #66
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He will get better recruits

Stanford currently has 10th best incoming class in the nation even though it's "so tough" to recruit there due to their academics. Even before the RR debacle, 10th wasn't that far off of what Michigan did on a yearly basis. I would even go to say it was a typical class for Michigan. Yes, he will have better potential to pull in a #1 class at Michigan, but Stanford isn't hurting in the recruiting department right now. To me the only reason for him to go to Michigan is money. Less expectations and pressure, solid recruiting base, and better weather. Ann Arbor maybe nice, but it isn't California.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #67
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Stanford currently has 10th best incoming class in the nation even though it's "so tough" to recruit there due to their academics. Even before the RR debacle, 10th wasn't that far off of what Michigan did on a yearly basis. I would even go to say it was a typical class for Michigan. Yes, he will have better potential to pull in a #1 class at Michigan, but Stanford isn't hurting in the recruiting department right now. To me the only reason for him to go to Michigan is money. Less expectations and pressure, solid recruiting base, and better weather. Ann Arbor maybe nice, but it isn't California.

True, but will the next coach at Stanford be capable of recruiting top 10 talent? The guy before Harbaugh wasn't.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #68
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
True, but will the next coach at Stanford be capable of recruiting top 10 talent? The guy before Harbaugh wasn't.

It doesn't matter what the next guy does. As long as Harbaugh can pull that kind of talent while he is there then there is less incentive for him to leave. I guess my statement on Stanford now having the recruiting base is based on while he is there.

Side thought, Michigan currently has 11 recruits and that's the second fewest in the top 50(Cal has 10). I don't even think Michigan waiting until the bowl game is going to matter. Unless something major happens, this class is screwed. Even if RR is fired after the bowl game, RR will have vastly put this program back at least 6 years.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #69
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the next guy does. As long as Harbaugh can pull that kind of talent while he is there then there is less incentive for him to leave. I guess my statement on Stanford now having the recruiting base is based on while he is there.

It matters for Stanford what the next guy does. I can't imagine Stanford being the stopping point for a place like Harbaugh, with his NFL experience as a player, being a "Michigan man", and having a brother currently coaching in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean
Side thought, Michigan currently has 11 recruits and that's the second fewest in the top 50(Cal has 10). I don't even think Michigan waiting until the bowl game is going to matter. Unless something major happens, this class is screwed. Even if RR is fired after the bowl game, RR will have vastly put this program back at least 6 years.

This is unfortunately true. He was a terrible hire, and now they are going to pay for it.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #70
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think that the point here is that Jim Harbaugh has Stanford running at close to optimal performance and it might not quite be enough to win a title.

I have this discussion with WVU fans all of the time. Our school has been tremendously successful for a number of years despite our limitations (a cold weather state that produces a handful or less recruits per year, a crappy conference, average academics at best, 75-miles from the nearest major city/airport, etc.), but some of our fans don't seem to understand that, at our best, we are still going to be fighting an uphill battle against schools like Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, or Texas if they are at their best.

It is certainly possible for Stanford to win a title or titles if Harbaugh is on the top of his game for a number of years, but it may also take USC being on probation and having an incompetent coach or UCLA to somehow (despite all their advantages) stay mediocre or Oregon to stumble somehow. Teams like Texas and Ohio State have all the advantages in the world and regularly take advantage of them (aside from this season for Texas). That is why those jobs are so desirable.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #71
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
To me the only reason for him to go to Michigan is money.
Don't discount the appeal of returning to your alma mater to coach. The thought that he could be the guy to return Michigan to winning 10-12 games every year and get back in the National Championship picture is probably highly appealing to Harbaugh.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't discount the appeal of returning to your alma mater to coach. The thought that he could be the guy to return Michigan to winning 10-12 games every year and get back in the National Championship picture is probably highly appealing to Harbaugh.
This. I actually agree with Rainmaker about forging your own path and becoming a legend - unless you have a chance to return to a place you loved and grew up with. It's why Harbaugh to Michigan will always be a possibility, and why the Saban to WV rumors have any legs at all.

Maybe I have stronger loyalty to certain institutions than most, but on a personal level I've had outsiders recommend I apply for coaching jobs that are an upgrade in both pay and responsibility, and unless I was offered a lifestyle changing amount (40,000+/year - and no HS lacrosse coach is getting that) I don't feel I could leave the HS I work for (and grew up playing for) - at least until we win a championship or two. If I were ever good enough to coach in college my dream job wouldn't be one of the lacrosse royalty like Virginia, Duke, Johns Hopkins or Syracuse - it would be UMass.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #73
MJ4H
Coordinator

i scared
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #74
tarcone
Coordinator

Osborne has not given Pelini permission to talk to Miami. And Pelini has not asked to talk to Miami.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #75
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
i scared
Tongue in cheek, or are you actually worried about Petrino to Florida?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #76
MJ4H
Coordinator

Actually worried. Not too bad because I think he's pretty happy, but I couldn't bear losing the best coach we've ever had. Would be pretty hard to take. Florida is one of the few jobs I worry about.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #77
MJ4H
Coordinator

Had our Christmas Concert tonight so I've been busy as hell all day. Just got home and started catching up and I'm not nearly as worried as I was. Looks like we are probably in the clear for now.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #78
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I couldn't bear losing the best coach we've ever had.
Yeah, screw Frank Broyles. It does appear from my limited reading that Mullen is the clear favorite right now, but if I were UF that isn't a big enough hire.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #79
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think Mullen would be fantastic for them.

edit to say: oh I see why you said screw FB now. Meant to say one of the best, not the best, though I'd say it's at least arguable already.

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-09-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Vandysports.com is reporting Vandy has offered Malzahn 3 ml a year to be their coach. Fucking crazy offer if true.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think that would be awesome.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #82
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Vandysports.com is reporting Vandy has offered Malzahn 3 ml a year to be their coach. Fucking crazy offer if true.

Would do backflips if he took this job.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #83
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'd certainly start rooting for Vandy.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #84
MJ4H
Coordinator

Me too. And start laughing at Auburn.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #85
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Hrmmm...I heard Tommy Bowden was getting the Vandy job
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #86
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

If Harbugh doesn't work out for Michigan, I think he would be an interesting pick to go there. RR has at least a QB with a similar style to run it. Just give him time to recruit and it would be interesting to see what would come out of it. If I'm Malzahn, I'm gone this year if possible. Auburn loses 24 seniors alone. He very likely loses the one QB he has to run his system to perfection. It's going to take some time before Auburn is ready for another run. Might as well take a shot at it while you can.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #87
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
If I'm Malzahn, I'm gone this year if possible. Auburn loses 24 seniors alone. He very likely loses the one QB he has to run his system to perfection. It's going to take some time before Auburn is ready for another run.
This is the type of misconceptions about Malzahn and his offense I was talking about in the other thread. His offenses have dominated everywhere he has been, whether it was Arkansas with 2 great RB's and poor QB's, Tulsa with little NFL talent (led them to #1 in ypg both years there), or Auburn with Cam Newton. He even had the 2009 Auburn team QB'd by Kodi Burns and another equally horrible player 15th in the country. Cam Newton isn't Malzahn's ideal QB - he's more of a runner than Malzahn would like, but unlike some coaches (say RichRod with Ryan Mallett or Urban Meyer and Chris Leak) Malzahn tailors his system to fit the players strengths.

I do agree that he should get out this year, but that's more about the coming reckoning at Auburn than the talent losses. And I really hope he doesn't end up at Michigan.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #88
MJ4H
Coordinator

Malzahn spotted on Vandy campus today.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #89
MJ4H
Coordinator

Petrino signed a 7 year extension today.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #90
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
This is the type of misconceptions about Malzahn and his offense I was talking about in the other thread. His offenses have dominated everywhere he has been, whether it was Arkansas with 2 great RB's and poor QB's, Tulsa with little NFL talent (led them to #1 in ypg both years there), or Auburn with Cam Newton. He even had the 2009 Auburn team QB'd by Kodi Burns and another equally horrible player 15th in the country. Cam Newton isn't Malzahn's ideal QB - he's more of a runner than Malzahn would like, but unlike some coaches (say RichRod with Ryan Mallett or Urban Meyer and Chris Leak) Malzahn tailors his system to fit the players strengths.

I do agree that he should get out this year, but that's more about the coming reckoning at Auburn than the talent losses. And I really hope he doesn't end up at Michigan.

He still has Gardner who is a better mix of run and pass. If Harbugh goes there I think there is definite transition time with the QBs. I can't imagine Robinson being what he wants out of a QB. If Malzahn goes there then there will be less transition time.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #91
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Any contract with petrino isn't worth the paper its written on to him(Remember he signed the same long extension with louisville, then was gone to the falcons within 6 monhts). This is his favorite time of the year.. no not Christmas, job hunting season.

I can almost assure you if he doesn't go off to michigan/florida.. he'll be heading off to texas/insert bigger name school here next year.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
He still has Gardner who is a better mix of run and pass. If Harbugh goes there I think there is definite transition time with the QBs. I can't imagine Robinson being what he wants out of a QB. If Malzahn goes there then there will be less transition time.

I can't see Robinson being a guy most coaches want to work with at QB, but Gardner gives a new coach options. It's nowhere near as big of a setback as some seem to making it out to be. If a new coach could sell Robinson on slot receiver role similar to how WVU has used Tavon Austin then that offense would be fine no matter who's coaching.

Any setbacks at Michigan if/when Rich is let go are probably similar to the issues WVU had to deal with when he left. Lack of depth along both lines and a bunch of guys recruited for offense on defense. Those are issues that would be there whether Rich is there or not.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #93
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I have a hard time seeing a new coach (or RichRod) benching Robinson at this point, even if Gardner is likely the better long-term option. They'd pretty much be forced to at least run some fly sweeps with him in. (PS - Can Gardner still get a redshirt for this year? I remember thinking it was retarded RichRod was playing him a couple series in games when Denard was tearing it up and Forcier was clearly a capable backup, but I never followed up to see if his season was burned or not.)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #94
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
(PS - Can Gardner still get a redshirt for this year? I remember thinking it was retarded RichRod was playing him a couple series in games when Denard was tearing it up and Forcier was clearly a capable backup, but I never followed up to see if his season was burned or not.)

It only takes 1 snap to burn a redshirt. Sometimes schools will try to get a BS medical redshirt for guys that only end up playing a few snaps though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #95
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Petrino signed a 7 year extension today.

So what you're saying is that he'll be coaching Michigan in a few weeks after he interviews during the bowl game?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #96
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing a new coach (or RichRod) benching Robinson at this point, even if Gardner is likely the better long-term option. They'd pretty much be forced to at least run some fly sweeps with him in. (PS - Can Gardner still get a redshirt for this year? I remember thinking it was retarded RichRod was playing him a couple series in games when Denard was tearing it up and Forcier was clearly a capable backup, but I never followed up to see if his season was burned or not.)

More RR stupidity. He somehow deemed Forcier 3rd string, so when Robinson went out Gardner went in and thus he has no real chance at red shirting him. There was next to no reason for Gardner to see the field this past year and yet he did. Multiple times even. I assume Gardner didn't progress enough, or Forcier did enough to move back into 2nd string because Forcier started to get the backup's work load, see Iowa and Illinois games. The funny thing about Robinson is he was the talk of the Heisman early on. He won Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and yet I'm not all that sure he starts at QB at the beginning of the season next year.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #97
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I figured back then that RR was leaving Forcier out so that he could transfer and not lose eligibility.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #98
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Any contract with petrino isn't worth the paper its written on to him(Remember he signed the same long extension with louisville, then was gone to the falcons within 6 monhts). This is his favorite time of the year.. no not Christmas, job hunting season.

I can almost assure you if he doesn't go off to michigan/florida.. he'll be heading off to texas/insert bigger name school here next year.

lol ok.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #99
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
So what you're saying is that he'll be coaching Michigan in a few weeks after he interviews during the bowl game?

west virginia
Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #100
MJ4H
Coordinator

Stoops to Florida currently getting a lot of attention.