Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #51
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's certainly hard to begrudge any chef who's found a way to make some money. It's still sad to see these great chefs on the show freak out over twenty grand, talking about how that's a year's income, even after they've been on TV and are at least close to the tops in their field.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-18-2011 at 09:37 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #52
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hoooo, who's going home tonight.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #53
kingfc22
Head Coach

Man that was a colossal ass whooping by the Bodega team.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #54
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Glad to see them cleaning out the trash over the last couple weeks.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Man that was a colossal ass whooping by the Bodega team.

Even the editors couldn't do much to disguise the fact that Etch was just freakin' terrible.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #56
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Even the editors couldn't do much to disguise the fact that Etch was just freakin' terrible.

Yeah, Richard's comment along the lines of "nothing's going wrong, that means that something bad is probably about to happen" was the best they could do.

Last two weeks have gotten rid of just who I wanted to get rid of. Now, everyone left is someone who I either like and/or think is a really good chef. (Yes, I am a Fabio fan. That guy cracks me up.)

Tiffany has been the big surprise to me. Last season, she dominated. This season, she is certainly sub-par. She could not even cut up a fish last night. Not sure what has changed.

Oh, and I have decided to cheer for Carla. I always like having a rooting favorite, but it has to develop organically. Now it has. Go Carla!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yeah, Richard's comment along the lines of "nothing's going wrong, that means that something bad is probably about to happen" was the best they could do.

Last two weeks have gotten rid of just who I wanted to get rid of. Now, everyone left is someone who I either like and/or think is a really good chef. (Yes, I am a Fabio fan. That guy cracks me up.)

Tiffany has been the big surprise to me. Last season, she dominated. This season, she is certainly sub-par. She could not even cut up a fish last night. Not sure what has changed.

Oh, and I have decided to cheer for Carla. I always like having a rooting favorite, but it has to develop organically. Now it has. Go Carla!

+1 for most of this. Still not really a Fabio fan as a chef. And I've always liked Carla.

Really glad to see Blais get his first win this season. Though I think he's been a bit of a d-bag since he was on TC Chicago, he's been really low key this season, and I still think he's got talent.

I gotta say, I loved everything I saw from Bodega. Cool concept, the food looked amazing, and even though Antonia disparaged the plating style, I thought it fit with the concept perfectly.

And thank GOODNESS Wolfboy is gone. I loved how his interview at the end he was like "I'm really a nice guy." Yeah, you know, it's mostly the d-bags that say that. And he said he didn't think he did anything wrong, he'd do it all the same again...well, I got nothing. I wonder how he felt when he watched this episode (if he did).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #58
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Anthony Bourdain - Top Chef - The Human Factor - Blog - Bravo TV Official Site

Bourdain's posts this year have been absoltuely spot on...and hilarious.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #59
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
EW posted Marcel's blog entry after last night's episode. I already had no respect for him, but wow does he have an inflated opinion of himself.

'Top Chef All-Stars' eliminated cheftestant blogs episode 7: 'Do I have the capability of being an a-hole? Completely.' | PopWatch | EW.com

/tk
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #60
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I loved how his interview at the end he was like "I'm really a nice guy." Yeah, you know, it's mostly the d-bags that say that.

My wife said the EXACT same thing.

I think Dale is having a very strong season. As much as I couldn't stand him during his original season, it seems like he has toned down his act (for the most part) and it has really helped him.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #61
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Fabio on Top Chef Restaurant Wars | Chef Fabio Viviani

"this guy is truly amazing, witness him clean fish is like to witness a pianist play a symphony for his own mother, my eyes got teared."

"Don’t get me wrong, I like Marcel passion, I like Marcel technique, what I don’t like about Marcel are his people skills, thumbs down to Marcel people skills, he needs to learn a lots."

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-20-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #62
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think Carla has become even MORE insane.

BEEF TONGUE BEEF TONGUE BEEF TONGUE!

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-09-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #63
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Me, I'm just glad for who got kicked off this week.

/tk
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #64
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think the judging this year has been pretty horrible across the board taking out people for really dumb reasons and then stating other dumb reasons on their blogs. In any case, I was REALLY happy Fabio got knocked out. Very tired of him and he's been really annoying lately.

I really don't care who wins at this point as most of the people I enjoyed watching are gone.

Of the ones left I like Dale who has been a monster, Richard who needs to throw out the nitrogen and just #*%&@#% cook!, and Carla who is just fun and cooks great food.

Antonia has finally grown on me.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #65
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bah, the next day is safe for spoilers.

Fabio was sort of Stephen Lite for me. Guy who had much more of an 'image' than actual chef abilities at this point. Maybe he's spent too much time working the other side of the house, whatever. Two different personalities, but similar situations in my opinion. It was his time.

But god, please get rid of Angelo. I want to punch that fucker every time he says anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #66
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Bah, the next day is safe for spoilers.

Fabio was sort of Stephen Lite for me. Guy who had much more of an 'image' than actual chef abilities at this point. Maybe he's spent too much time working the other side of the house, whatever. Two different personalities, but similar situations in my opinion. It was his time.

But god, please get rid of Angelo. I want to punch that fucker every time he says anything.

Me too Coffee!!!!!! I have not wanted to punch anyone on Top Chef before (except maybe Betty from Season 2) as much as Angelo. Total arrogant prick. And for heaven's sake i wish he'd learn to talk. ("Witchoo")
Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #67
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Me too Coffee!!!!!! I have not wanted to punch anyone on Top Chef before (except maybe Betty from Season 2) as much as Angelo. Total arrogant prick. And for heaven's sake i wish he'd learn to talk. ("Witchoo")

I'd rather punch Mike I. than Angelo. But I want them both gone and soon.

/tk
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #68
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd rather punch Mike I. than Angelo. But I want them both gone and soon.

/tk

Good call. Forgot about Mike. He IS a prick.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #69
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Carla is like a muppet on crystal meth at this point.

I LOVE it. Hope she wins it all.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #70
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I like Fabio. Haven't watched this ep yet, so if he goes, he goes, but I find him entertaining and likeable. I'd much rather watch him than a Marcel or Butch/Spike/whatever that guy's name is.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Fabio's at least entertaining. And he seems to get along well with the other chefs better this season.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #72
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I also thought that Fabio was a lot of fun. He made me laugh with almost anything he said. It was probably time for him to go in terms of cooking quality, but I do think that the show will be a little less entertaining now.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #73
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Carla is like a muppet on crystal meth at this point.

I LOVE it. Hope she wins it all.

She really was the ONLY person that could win the Fallon challenge. I mean, come on, the person has to be entertaining. (Not that I really find Fallon entertaining, but you know what I mean)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #74
cschex
High School Varsity

I echo the sentiment that as long as Angelo or Mike doesn't win, I'll be pretty happy.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #75
Ksyrup

Quote:
I think Carla has become even MORE insane.

BEEF TONGUE BEEF TONGUE BEEF TONGUE!

Quote:
Meanwhile, another comedic high point of the episode was the winning chefs’ song about beef tongue, which Jimmy Fallon said would be a great ringtone. He asked and Bravo delivered: just text BEEFTONGUE to 27286. It’s free, except for your text and data rates.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #76
Ksyrup

Quote:
Fabio says he’s about to recap the episode, which is now posted on his blog, and it’s as funny as his blog post. It’s full of non-sequiturs like why he doesn’t like Ina Garten and comments like this one:
“Think about it, and im asking this to all the boys out there, if you HAVE TO get run over by a car, would you prefer a Good Looking smart woman drive or a Stupid Ugly Ass guy ?? See my point ?? At least tonight ill get runned Over by a nice person….”
As to his food, Fabio writes:
“I made a cheese sauce that noone ever seen before, probably cause is crap ?? Maybe, i didnt mind it, and Beside Jimmy Fallon Dad noone like my Booger, Burgers, Hamburger….. or whatever you want to call it i dont care it did taste good to me, little dry ?? Maybe….. im not Arguing with that, for my Grandpa my Grandma was fine…..if you know what i mean J LMAO !!!!
[…]
I think an Average Burger should beat a Tortilla soup that was meant to be a Chicken Dumpling and Dale Cheesesteak was NOT EDIBLE because of the salt…… you ask me….wrong decision, but hey, im ONLY a contestant and i guess in the world of TV was my time to go home i guess.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #77
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think Fabio is hilarious, but I find it hard to believe that the guy has no concept of what type of meat to use in a hamburger. Has he never eaten one before? What the hell
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #78
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES! Best episode so far. Hilarious stuff during the quickfire. And I'm so happy about who got eliminated.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #79
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I loved the quickfire. I especially love ELMO's "TMI" comment to Padma during the quickfire.

I didn't mind the Target so much, but with all the Target ads thrown it, it felt like they were throwing it down my throat.

/tk
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #80
Ksyrup

Quote:
I loved the quickfire. I especially love ELMO's "TMI" comment to Padma during the quickfire.

+1

That was so enjoyable, I wish they would do it more often. I'd especially love it if they could somehow use South Park or Family Guy characters in a challenge.

As much as Angelo seems like a prick, he also shows some humility at the right times. It prevents me from totally hating him and makes him a more decent human than, say, Marcel or Elan.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #81
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. Surprised to see Dale go. He was on such a tear this season and was looking like one of the favorites.

I think Antonia and Richard are the two favorites left.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #82
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

F this show F this show F this show!!!!

And I am now a cardcarrying member of the "Punch Mike in the Face" club.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #83
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Wow. Surprised to see Dale go. He was on such a tear this season and was looking like one of the favorites.

I think Antonia and Richard are the two favorites left.

Agreed on all points.

I was really pulling for Dale to at least make it to the final. He's come a long way, especially as a person. I don't really feel like Tiffany has any business still being there. If Blaise doesn't Blaise himself, he's the winner...by FAR the best chef this season. Maybe any season. His constant use of liquid nitrogen sort of annoys me (there's no way he'll bust out liquid nitrogen for a deep fry challenge, right...right?) but at least it's not foams. Not so much the man to beat, but the man the others are hoping beats himself. I'd be happy with Antonia and to a lesser degree, Carla winning. Each has has enough moments of greatness to justify the crown.

Mike Isabella

You fuckin'...meh! Whatever, just die.

I miss Elia. She's batshit crazy, but I find her so incredibly hot. Was definitely looking forward to her this season.

DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #84
path12
Coordinator

I'm rooting for Antonia.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #85
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Carla is losing it. I definitely thought it was a Blaze vs Carla vs Dale showdown. Now Carla is tanking and Blaze is the man.

Mike and Tiffany are should go home.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #86
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

I'd bet that Antonia's food rivals Blaise's based on pure taste. I just don't think that she has that wow factor. Carla is a spazz. Luckily, she's spazzing now and still has time to get her shit together. If she can, she could easily contend with Antonia in the case that Richard effs himself again.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #87
Ksyrup

I thought for sure Tiffany was going home. I know it's a "one bad dish and you're out" deal, but body of work should count for something. Dale's been at the top of his game more often than anyone other than Blais. When you have someone else to dump who's clearly inferior, and his dish was just bad not inedible, I think you give him a pass.

Has anyone ever had the stones to put the judges off like Tom suggested last night? "I'm sorry, I'm not ready to serve you - let me serve the bad stuff to the other people while I get yours ready." I get the feeling he went home solely for the potatoes.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-25-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #88
Ksyrup

Damn, Trey took his elimination hard. Now he's a line cook at one of those gimmick burger joints!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #89
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I thought for sure Tiffany was going home. I know it's a "one bad dish and you're out" deal, but body of work should count for something.

Tiffany seems just totally fried. She did almost a full season last season. Then got married during the break. And jumped right back into it. Bordain keeps talking about how much pressure they are under, and I think that it shows with her. She was much much better last season. Now, she just lives among the bottom 3. When/if she goes home, I think that part of her will consider it a relief.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #90
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

To all you Antoniofites, I am totally wondering when Antonia is going to pull out all the stops and cook her italian food! She is the queen of pasta making remember. She's gotta do it!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #91
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

If Tiffany or Mike get to the final, I'll be upset. There's a reason that lots of people call him "Douchey Mike."

Tiffany, I agree, she just seems tired. Can't blame her, this season apparently started very shortly after her season wrapped up.

Carla needs to step up her A game. That said, I was kind of surprised she stereotyped Tre so much...revoking his NAACP card?!

/tk
Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #92
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

I was kind of surprised she stereotyped Tre so much...revoking his NAACP card?!

/tk

That'll be rehashed at the reunion for sure.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #93
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Poor Richard is gonna come back and cut Padma in her sleep after that shit.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #94
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Poor Richard is gonna come back and cut Padma in her sleep after that shit.

Let's hope not; she's already got enough scar tissue.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #95
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Seriously? Adding 15 minutes onto the episode for THAT ending??? THis show is becoming as tired as an American Idol Results show.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-03-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #96
Ksyrup

FYI:

Quote:
For its third season, Bravo’s Top Chef Masters is dropping its format and modeling itself after its parent. And besides firing host Kelly Choi and replacing her with Curtis Stone, the show is dropping all its judges (Gael Greene, Jay Rayner, and Gail Simmons) except one, James Oseland, and replacing the others with food critic Ruth Reichl.

Bravo’s announcement also included the identities of the 12 contestants, and said that they “will no longer be judged on a scale, but in elimination style challenges just as the tried and true format of the original,” so “money will be at stake, with the winners of every quickfire challenge winning $5,000 and elimination challenges winning $10,000 for their designated charities.”

I’m disappointed that the show is dropping numerical scoring, which made the elimination decisions—if not the judging itself—far more objective than subjective. However, I really like that all the chefs will stick around until they’re eliminated; the previous format meant that some of the best characters would disappear after one episode. I’d guess this format is now possible because the success of the series makes it a worthwhile investment of time for high-profile chefs.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #97
Ksyrup

Also, this:

Quote:
Top Chef All Stars didn’t eliminate anyone last week, deciding that all of the final five chefs . It was pretty obvious that would happen from the very start of the episode—everyone kept saying they’d be cut to four, and it was just a little much—and it was also unprecedented. Considering the incredibly minor things that the judges have used to eliminate people in the past, that’s pretty significant.

But the judges really were at an impasse, so much so that it took them an hour to convince the producers that they could not make a decision. Judge Gail Simmons writes, “It took probably an hour of begging our producers to let us do it. They kept us there for a while, saying ‘Guys, deal with it. Make a decision.’ Then finally, after a long time of hashing it out and none of us feeling comfortable, we decided to bring everyone to the finale.”

She added that “we realized there was no way to penalize any of them for what they had made. We, for the first time, were at a stalemate. We just couldn’t think of a legitimate reason to get rid of anyone.”
Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #98
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Somewhat of a personal epilogue to the season ... Antonia and Carla came to KC last weekend to put on a six-course dinner at a local country club. Given that it was Mrs. kcchief19's birthday, I splurged.

What an amazing experience. Antonia is an incredible chef. The best dish of the night hands down was her curried cauliflower soup with fried shrimp that was simply out of this world. She also did a lamb loin and a hamachi dish that were very impressive. I'm not a raw fish guy, but it was very good.

Carla did a salad that was amazing. She also did a grilled halibut that was pretty good but I thought could have been better. The fish was just a tad underseasoned. Carla also did the dessert and it wasn't my cup of tea but was much better than you would normally have.

During the Q&A, I asked who their favorite and least favorite competitors were. Carla played the good girl and said she liked everybody, although she said that during the all-stars there was a very deep divided between the men and the women that ticked her off. Antonia made it clearly that Isabella remained her archenemy.

Another note about Isabella ... the chef at the country club that put this together has done three Top Chef dinners. The last one included Mike Isabella, and it was the weekend before he left to film the finale. During the visit to KC, they took Isabella to Bluestem, which is one of the top local restaurants. They have a tartare with a chimichurri dish that is one of the house specialities.

In the next to last episode to determine who is going to the finale, Antonia and Mike had to make "one bite" to determine the winner. Mike won with a dish that the judges thought was very creative and something they hadn't seen before. Yep, that's right ... Mike made the same tartare dis with chimichurri sauce that he had just had at Bluestem.

Interesting when you consider that Mike was also involved in the dispute when Richard felt like Mike stole his dish in a quickfire.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #99
Ksyrup

Top Chef Texas is the next season, and it's been filming for some time. New judges in addtion to Tom and Gail are Emeril and Hugh Acheson.

If you're interested in how people knew about it being in Texas well before the announcement, here's a blog where someone recounts their story of being in a restaurant and seeing each of the stars one by one, tweeting about it, not fullly realizing what was going on, and then being harrassed by Bravo staff demanding that she stop tweeting and trying to get her thrown out of the place.

SymiGoddess: The night Bravo told me to stop tweeting
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #100
JeeberDMack
Mascot

I just read an article in the Dallas Observer about how Bravo and/or TC's production company shook down both the state of Texas and individual cities here in order to "feature" them. I'll have see if there's an online copy of the article to post here...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote