Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'd be much better at multiplayer, but I just don't have the undistracted time for it anymore.

Hmm ... you might enjoy the new Combat Training mode. It's MP style but with AI opponents, so afaik you can pause as needed just like campaign/single player play. According to the splash screen when you start, it levels & unlocks independently of MP as well, so there's some sense of progress included as well (Fair warning though, I haven't checked to make sure the two are totally independent of each other, but that's definitely what it indicated on screen)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-12-2010 at 10:45 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I got like 200ish hours out of MW2. I'll probably get less out of this version, but only cause I'm in college.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #53
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I still feel the same frustrations I did with MW2 - I suck and my kill/death ratio is around .25-1.

I'm around the same ratio. But as long as I feel like I am improving, then it's all good to me. I don't take it as personally as some might. But along those lines, we played Nuketown like three times in a row, and in all three cases, my ratio was over 1, and my best performance was something along the lines of 15/6. So I'm thinking to myself that maybe my trusty Famas & I are finally improving. It only took the next game for me to pull a 3/11 to knock me back down to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hmm ... you might enjoy the new Combat Training mode. It's MP style but with AI opponents, so afaik you can pause as needed just like campaign/single player play. According to the splash screen when you start, it levels & unlocks independently of MP as well, so there's some sense of progress included as well (Fair warning though, I haven't checked to make sure the two are totally independent of each other, but that's definitely what it indicated on screen)

I can confirm that the unlocks for Combat Training are in fact separate from actual Live. I'm now Level 16 on Live, and in Combat Training only a Level 4 or 5, and I definitely do not have access to the same weapons.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I'm around the same ratio. But as long as I feel like I am improving, then it's all good to me. I don't take it as personally as some might. But along those lines, we played Nuketown like three times in a row, and in all three cases, my ratio was over 1, and my best performance was something along the lines of 15/6. So I'm thinking to myself that maybe my trusty Famas & I are finally improving. It only took the next game for me to pull a 3/11 to knock me back down to reality.

Try a 2-19 like I had on one of the snow maps last night & it's downright depressing. I mean, I suck, but I don't often suck that bad.

re: Nuketown -- Ah yes, the Black Ops equivalent to the Rust map from MW2. I'm a camper by nature, but the pure run & gun aspect of those maps is a fun change of pace & hard not to enjoy. Unbelievably, I got my first tomahawk kill on it last night, and it was an unintentional bank shot to boot
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks for the tip - when I pick it up i'll try that out.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #56
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Nuketown is just terrible...awful.. can't stand it.

Something weird, though. My favorite game type of the past two versions was Search and Destroy. For some reason I'm not enjoying it as much in this version.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #57
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just hit select while at the menu of multiplayer. It has an option for your matchmaking to search for the best match, with a preference on locale, or locale only. Maybe that will help some of you?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #58
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I just hit select while at the menu of multiplayer. It has an option for your matchmaking to search for the best match, with a preference on locale, or locale only. Maybe that will help some of you?

Was sitting here messing around with the RockMelt browser testing it out but am getting onlilne to play now just to test this out. Never saw it, so hopefully it works for me. Thanks.

As for the game itself, I started a solo campaign the other day. My 1 yr old started button mashing when I was out of the room and wrote over my saved game. First 5 chapters gone, talk about killing my motivation to get back to the storyline right now.

As for MP, the crossbow is the greatest MP weapon ever. I love taking guy out with that from across the map. You get it close and BOOM. What is even better is when you stick them from far away though. I always have it equipped. I should prestige for the first time tonight though, so I will miss it for a bit.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #59
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think that's probably a little low unless you're an uber player. On Regular, I'd guess it's going to take me around 8-10 hours based on what I've seen so far. If I tried it on Hardened (which I believe is the approximate equivalent to the MP settings) I imagine it'd be more like 10-12.

One of the few advantages of not being very good I guess

Before my son erased it I had finished 5 of the 14 chapters in roughly 2-2.5 hrs, so I would guess it will be around 8 hrs for me. I was playing on Hardened. Of course my kid erased it, so supposed that is one way to extend it.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #60
FF
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Was sitting here messing around with the RockMelt browser testing it out but am getting onlilne to play now just to test this out. Never saw it, so hopefully it works for me. Thanks.

As for the game itself, I started a solo campaign the other day. My 1 yr old started button mashing when I was out of the room and wrote over my saved game. First 5 chapters gone, talk about killing my motivation to get back to the storyline right now.

As for MP, the crossbow is the greatest MP weapon ever. I love taking guy out with that from across the map. You get it close and BOOM. What is even better is when you stick them from far away though. I always have it equipped. I should prestige for the first time tonight though, so I will miss it for a bit.

prestige already?! are you on xbox or ps3?

if anyone wants to play, my xbl gt is: the hot tip v2
Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #61
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
prestige already?! are you on xbox or ps3?

if anyone wants to play, my xbl gt is: the hot tip v2

PS3. And yes already. The problem is I am somehow behind a few people I am "friends" with. I am pretty sure one of them had the game a few days early because he is already about to go to the second prestige level, so roughly a week ahead of me. When playing I have seen a few others like that.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
The problem is I am somehow behind a few people I am "friends" with. I am pretty sure one of them had the game a few days early because he is already about to go to the second prestige level, so roughly a week ahead of me. When playing I have seen a few others like that.

Just out of curiosity, are you playing Headquarters much? If not, check the weekly leaderboard and see if they have been. Seems to me as though that's the way to quickly level, the points it gives out versus something like Free For All is just ridiculous.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #63
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you playing Headquarters much? If not, check the weekly leaderboard and see if they have been. Seems to me as though that's the way to quickly level, the points it gives out versus something like Free For All is just ridiculous.

I don't play it at all, I stick with Ground War, Domination, and sometimes Team Deathmatch when it is late and most people play hat so it makes it easier to get better matchmaking. I play something else once in a while, but Domination is my favorite with these last two versions since the bastards left out War. Most of my friends are the same way (the reason they are friends), though friends-friends I couldn't say. I am sure you are right though, MW2 and WaW was similar to BO in that respect.

Went ahead and Prestiged tonight. I will continue to do it, but I like it less in this game then past versions. Losing everything in this game hurts more (to me) then it used to, mainly because I really don't like any of the guns very much until you get into the 20's. Stopped playing at 11. Although going through the second time is easier since I know what perks and equipment I want to focus on buying right away.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #64
JediKooter
Coordinator

Finished the campaign last night and
Spoiler

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by Ryan S : 11-15-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tag
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #65
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I give up on this game... it has become more frustrating than fun for me. People are stupid good at it and I don't think I could even compete with them.

So I just sold mine on CL for $55

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Finished the campaign last night and
Spoiler
I thought it was ironic that I only got in 1 head shot.

Might wanna spoiler tag that
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #67
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Had my first real bad experience with the game tonight. The party system was a joke. Couldn't keep me and my buddy together. Then the menus kept freezing.. Something that if it consistently happens will make me sell my game. Wasted half my time playing trying to join the game.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Played NukeTown about 10 straight times the other day. I love that level. Except when it respawns you into quick deaths
Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

I probably could have put this in the NBA thread but as soon as I saw this commercial, I knew there was going to be some backlash

Kobe Bryant is featured with a gun in a commercial for the new "Call of Duty" video game, and it sends exactly the wrong message - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #70
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Should prestige for the second time this weekend. Had a crap night though and cut my playing short. I am putting myself on a schedule starting next week though, and have only allowed myself a maximum of 2 hrs a night, then in bed by 2 am. I have already cut back almost 100% on any daytime playing. I have other things I want to focus on, mainly expanding my web design knowledge, so I need to get back to that.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #71
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Not a bad week's worth of news:

Today the publisher announced that Call of Duty Black Ops, the recent first person shooter from developer Treyarch, has generated over $650 million in revenue in just its first five days of its release worldwide.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #72
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sucks that there is no co-op campaign for this game.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was wondering if anyone with the PS3 has been experiencing some awful disconnections and loss of host recently? It is possible it is my fault since I switched to a new router, but I'm unsure. I could play for hours before, now almost every game drops.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #74
BigDPW
College Prospect

Recently updated my FPS to Black Ops on the 360 when it was on sale for $40. If anyone wants to fire it up and play together let me know. I haven't seen many of you on recently since I have been playing. Be warned though I suck from a reflex standpoint.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #75
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I waited a day or two to be really sure I wanted to start over, and I guess the thrill of having a shiny new emblem by my name convinced me to prestige over the weekend. I hated starting over. I missed my beloved Famas assault rifle. I missed the Pro versions of a couple of perks. But it hasn't taken me long to get back into the low 20's. Now that I am back in relative familiar territory, I'm glad I did it. But I will not do it again. Once is enough.

I guess the new map pack drops next week.

And a question: In order to get Flak Jacket Pro, you have to do three things:
1. Survive certain number of blasts while wearing the Flak Jacket. No problem there.
2. Plant or Defuse 10 bombs. I haven't done that yet, but I understand what needs to be done.
3. Throw back 5 enemy frag grenades. What the heck? How do you do that? I didn't even know it was possible....
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #76
JediKooter
Coordinator

What I want to know is, why can I revive a AI teammate, but, I can't revive a human teammate???

Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #77
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What I want to know is, why can I revive a AI teammate, but, I can't revive a human teammate???

What happens when you try to revive an actual teammate?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #78
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
3. Throw back 5 enemy frag grenades. What the heck? How do you do that? I didn't even know it was possible....

When an opponent grenade lands near you something pops up that lets you throw it back by hitting RB. Video shows it pretty clearly toward the end.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #79
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
What happens when you try to revive an actual teammate?

Nothing. You stand next to them and you don't get the 'X' or 'A' (I don't remember exactly what button it is) to revive icon on the screen. I played this on a PS3 and it's the same thing, can't revive a human teammate.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #80
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Nothing. You stand next to them and you don't get the 'X' or 'A' (I don't remember exactly what button it is) to revive icon on the screen. I played this on a PS3 and it's the same thing, can't revive a human teammate.

Well the player has to have Last Stand Pro. If they just have Last Stand, they survive for a short while, but can not be revived. If they have Last Stand Pro - you last longer and can be revived (you are correct that it is the 'X' button). A message pops up in window that says something like "PlayerName needs to be revived". There should also be a symbol above the player as you approach him. I haven't had any problem with it.

Last edited by tyketime : 01-26-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #81
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ah that must be it then. At first I thought it was because we didn't have that selected and when it still didn't work, my friend and I thought it must be a bug or something. So get the pro level and that should fix it. Sweet!! Thanks man.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #82
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I still haven't even finished this game. In fact, I haven't played it in weeks.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #83
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I still haven't even finished this game. In fact, I haven't played it in weeks.

The fact that you reference "finishing" the game means you aren't playing it right.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #84
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
When an opponent grenade lands near you something pops up that lets you throw it back by hitting RB. Video shows it pretty clearly toward the end.

Ah cool. I've never seen that indicator pop up (but I almost exclusively play Hardcore Team Deathmatch). Time for me to throw back some grenades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The fact that you reference "finishing" the game means you aren't playing it right.

Last edited by tyketime : 01-26-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #85
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well...finished the single-player mission one time through.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #86
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If it wasnt for the lag/rendering/compensation issues this game would be near impossible to put down.

I thought I just wasnt cut out for COD (this is my first experience in the series) but now it is frustrating, one day I will get a connection that is "right" and go ona string of 22-3 24-7 ratios even in multiple lobbies with different opponnts etc....the next day it "feels slow" and I am back at 12-32 8-27 matches....

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel your frustration CU. Sometimes you just feel invinceable, and roll off several killer games in a row. It's like you win the first 2 or 3 heads up confrontations and you're like, wow, I normally die there.

Then it lets you down.

Anyways, new PS3 update
Supposedly they nerfed the AK74u, which is welcome. I'd bet anyone like a grand that their top gun they were killed by is a AK74u by a large large large margin. I'd guess Famas #2, and Galil or AK47 #3. Could just be a ps3 thing tho.

Also, in a team game, if you put someone into Last Chance, you get the kill and the person who "kills" him gets an assist. This is a welcome change IMO.

Last edited by stevew : 01-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #88
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd bet anyone like a grand that their top gun they were killed by is a AK74u by a large large large margin. I'd guess Famas #2, and Galil or AK47 #3.

Please please please no nerf for my Famas. I love my Famas...

Quote:
Also, in a team game, if you put someone into Last Chance, you get the kill and the person who "kills" him gets an assist. This is a welcome change IMO.

Do you know if this is game-wide or just PS3? I think I really like that change! Whenever I put someone in last stand and get killed, I'm always looking at the side bar to see if I got the kill, or someone stole it from me. This one makes great sense!

Found this on an xbox website about possible notes for 1.6 update:

Heres some info from Tryarch

The few changes discussed are about tweaks to gameplay, and there is little mention of bug fixes. Below the gameplay tweaks are summarised, with explanation from David Vonderhaar.

The AK74U grip variant re-center speed will be adjusted: “We think the AK74U grip variant re-center speed is too quick. Although the tuning is in line with other grip variant weapons, the gun itself has a very perfectible kick and other attributes or attachments that make it a popular weapon to use. We have slightly de-tuned the AK74u grip for version 1.06.”

Changes to kill credits: “We are considering giving full kill credit to the guy who drops someone in Second Chance and Assist credit for someone who finishes them off. We are also considering allowing you to only be revived one time. We are even considering increasing the revive time.”

Second Chance perk complaints: It turns out that the invulnerability period experienced when someone is dropping into the ‘Second Chance’ is linked to the game code. This problem gives the player entering into second chance a 0.5 second invulnerability.

“We need to think about this one clearly,” explains Vonderhaar. “I went through the revision history. Any attempts to remove the "0.5" seconds of invulnerability mean the guy with Second Chance will likely never be given his Second Chance. Removal of this entirely will all but remove the perk from the game (which I know many of you would prefer in the first place, but it's something we are not yet ready to do). This "0.5" seconds is consistent with the previous games and is not any longer or shorter.”

Revision to RC car: “We are evaluating the RC-XD minimum and maximum damage and damage radius and its movement speed. Changing the kill requirement isn't feasible at this time.”

Sniper rifles and knives: “We are largely okay with the sniper rifle and knife tuning at this time. No changes are currently planned for either of these for version 1.06.”
The team also says that bugs, connectivity, party, and matchmaking issues are a heavy focus for their day to day workflow.

Last edited by tyketime : 01-27-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

twas apparently double XP weekend. Also, PSN is running a Nuketown 24/7 level, but Xbox wasn't.

How are the new levels?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How are the new levels?

You mean the new maps? If so, I'd call them ... okay, maybe a little better than just okay.

Kowloon is kind of a mess where falling off the rooftops is a bigger threat than your opponent, Arena is pretty good for most of the common game types IMO although I think they kind of blew it by making so little of the actual arena playable, Berlin Wall is decent for TDM, the other one (the snowy German base) is kind of weak IMO & probably a little too big, absurdly so for FFA unless the game is full.