Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #51
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I wanna start an FOFC Outlaw Motorcycle Gang.

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #52
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Mind me asking what small farm town, as I grew up in a small farm town in OH also.

Celina, Mercer County
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #53
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I guess it's my problem. If something is bad, but it's been around for a long time, then I should just accept it as being a part of life. Things like rape, war, racism, murder and child molestation. It's a shame that the human majority takes such a passive stance on these cancers, and in the case of war, even promotes it.

sigh

Here is where my problem started.

(I haven't posted anything in the thread until now, but I did keep up with it)

I don't think most people take a passive stance on any of the above. It's how much can you control. Most of the things I could control in the above would be after the fact type things. (like donating time at a rape crisis center) Preventative measures? I'm fairly limited there. I'm not sure what humanity could do outside of Minority Report type psychics to be tougher on the issue of rape, murder and child molestation.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #54
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I'll take a stab at it...

I call dibs on heybrad in my gang

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2010 at 04:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

As a white kid who grew up in the Washington, DC public school system, I have some experience with gangs. I never had any problems because I could play basketball pretty decent for a white boy. I was friends with most of them.

I was in the Air Force with a guy who left a gang in Cleveland and he could never go home because they would kill him if he did. He had some pretty interesting tatoos.

Sun Tzu, I think you should stay away from areas with this kind of activity if it bothers you so much.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #56
watravaler
High School JV

For the most part, I agree...with that being said...if one is ever desperate for weed or anything else, take a drive to the west-side of Chicago, roll the windows down, and you will see what customer service is all about. I'm only half-joking...in some areas with tightly controlled criminal organizations(ie gangs with "leaders" that know what they are doing...see "The Wire" and the Barksdale crew for a fictional example based on real-life going-ons), a white person will be treated like a king, as the corner boys are instructed to cater to the "customers" every need, just like any business. On the other hand, not all areas have gangs with "legit" business taking place, and yeah, you're probably going to get run out of the area, at best...

For the most part, at least on the west side of Chicago, and the south side. Black on black or gang on gang crime is the real issue. White folk be treated quite well...sorry for the tangent...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #57
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Celina, Mercer County

My Dad had a cottage on a lake in Celina, St. Marys, I think. I spent a couple of weeks there for a few summers when I was a kid.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #58
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wait a second, I don't want to be mistaken or anything here so I'm just gonna ask: You don't see reasonable concern about the character of an individual who is a gang member?

Absolutely. I just was reacting to a post that IMO was completely unreasonable and showed no concern. i read too much into that post. it's just a: i'm mad my neighborhood movie theater closed down because now i have to watch a movie with a bunch of rude, texting kids
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #59
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I call dibs on heybrad in my gang

alright but I get flere so I get my gang logos and tats designed with MS-Paint
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #60
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
My Dad had a cottage on a lake in Celina, St. Marys, I think. I spent a couple of weeks there for a few summers when I was a kid.
Yeah, Grand Lake St Marys. It's been shut down most the summer though due to toxins in the water.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #61
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
it's just a: i'm mad my neighborhood movie theater closed down because now i have to watch a movie with a bunch of rude, texting kids

In all seriousness - what is wrong with this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #62
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Anyone wanna start of FOFC gang?

Will boxings earn us street cred?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #63
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
In all seriousness - what is wrong with this statement?

Not a thing, I actually made that statement this weekend. I mistook his original post as ignorant and a complete lack of empathy, rather than a rant about how annoying things/people are annoying. The lobster reference should have tipped me off.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #64
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I was in the Air Force with a guy who left a gang in Cleveland and he could never go home because they would kill him if he did. He had some pretty interesting tatoos.

I didn't know Lebron was in the Air force.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #65
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I didn't know Lebron was in the Air force.

I ROFLed.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #66
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Celina, Mercer County

I was SW Ohio, Highland Co, but my Dad grew up in NW Ohio.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #67
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Gangs are sad but shit I am all for matching their level of force with my own.

Thug Life.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Whit people have gangs. one of the most prominent is called the US Senate.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #69
Izulde
Head Coach

FWIW, I find that gangs fill a void of family, role models, protection, income, etc. in a lot of the lives of the young people who join them. Now, I'm not saying it's right or anything, I'm just saying that in many situations, that's the case.

Or, as somebody I knew once said, "In my neighborhood, you got two choices to get out of the poverty and get a real family - join the church or join a gang." He himself joined the church, but after talking to him, I could see where he was coming from.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #70
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Better to start two, so we can war.

We already got the FOFC Buffalo gang.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #71
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll let you know how I feel after MS13 jumps me in.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #72
Kodos
Resident Alien

If it makes Sun feel better, I was on a jury in Chicago that sent a gang member to jail for murder. I guess he was also an arsonist, but that wasn't part of the trial I was involved in.

See? I'm doing something about gangs!

Last edited by Kodos : 08-31-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #73
Kodos
Resident Alien

On a side note, I wonder if gang members use teambuilder in NCAA Football. I bet there are some tense rivalry games...

Last edited by Kodos : 08-31-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #74
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If it makes Sun feel better, I was on a jury in Chicago that sent a gang member to jail for murder. I guess he was also an arsonist, but that wasn't part of the trial I was involved in.

See? I'm doing something about gangs!

Heh, I sent one up for weapons theft & sale.

Kodos and Coffee - TOUGH ON CRIME. CLEANING THE STREETS OF CHICAGO.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 08-31-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #75
Kodos
Resident Alien

The sad thing was how long it took to convince one lady that he was guilty. Her initial stance was that he was too cute to be guilty, and that she would never change her mind. I think she eventually gave in because she wanted to go home.

Here's a post from a while back that goes a little deeper. I'm sure my memory is fading a bit on that details at this point:

Quote:
A few years back, I was on a murder trial jury in Cook County. Gang- and drug-related. Anyhow, the guy was clearly guilty. His own statement placed him at the scene knowing that the guy was gonna get wacked. His main defense was that the gun was never found and that we couldn't be sure he pulled the trigger (there were 2 other guys involved in the incident, all with conflicting stories of who actually pulled the trigger). Anyhow, when he gave his story to the police, he apparently didn't know that being at the scene with advanced knowledge of whats going to happen gets you convicted even if you didn't pull the trigger.

We started our deliberations and took a quick vote to see where we stood. Most thought guilty, but there were 2 or 3 who were saying not guilty. One of them (all of the dissenters were women) said he couldn't be guilty because he "looked too nice". At least one said they would never vote guilty, which meant things were looking bad, because there was no way I was going to be swayed to say he was not guilty. I'm pretty sure some others felt the same. So it looked like we were going to be stalemated and stuck in deliberations for a long time.

Anyhow, things drag on for another day, with us getting nowhere. Finally, after a lot of haggling, we convinced one or two of them. What I think convinced the last person to vote guilty was the fact that she wanted to go home, so she just went ahead and changed her vote without really seeming to be convinced. Needless to say, the whole experience did not leave me feeling too confident in our system.

After the trial, the judge told us the guy had previously been convicted of arson and some other nasty things, and that we got the right verdict. It just bothered me that the doubters seemed to have changed their mind because the deliberations were too inconvenient for them.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-31-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #76
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Kodos I want to be on the jury that judges your stories and jokes.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

You and Marmel both. I'll be found guilty of being unfunny every time.

http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=8863

Last edited by Kodos : 08-31-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #78
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
You and Marmel both. I'll be found guilty of being unfunny every time.

How funny is Kodos? - Front Office Football Central

Seven years and your material hasn't improved? Time to hang it up or stick to potshots at MBBF.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #79
Kodos
Resident Alien

At least I drove Marmel away.

My sense of humor has always been something that a lot of people don't understand. There are people who enjoy it, and there are people who think I am not funny at all.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-31-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #80
cuervo72
Head Coach

Interestingly, I did run across this yesterday:

Cops to gangs: Stop the killing -- or else :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #81
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Gangs are sad but shit I am all for matching their level of force with my own.

Thug Life.

This explains your whole "thumb up the butt" fixation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #82
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This explains your whole "thumb up the butt" fixation.

LOL. No when it comes to group who are violent toward innocent people I have no mercy. Like if gangs only sold drugs than I wouldn't care what they do because they would just be a non-taxed business however a lot of gangs terrorize people.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #83
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #84
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Damn Pumpy I actually laughed.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #85
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Chicago is going down the drain. There isn't enough manpower to make this threat valid. The department is so undermanned it's sad. Not too mention, most of the cops are too fearful of lawsuits knowing the city won't back them up in any way, shape, or form to actually do their jobs right. And the fact that the city hired someone with NO patrol experience to run one of the nation's largest police departments doesn't help either. The morale for that department is awful right now. Until something changes, the gangs will continue to take over.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #86
dolfin
High School JV

Quote:
Celina, Mercer County

I grew up in Greenville, Darke County. Hoping to make it back for a visit soon.

I have an old buddy that I think now lives in Celina. Hey wait, your name's not Brad is it?
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #87
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Chicago is going down the drain. There isn't enough manpower to make this threat valid. The department is so undermanned it's sad. Not too mention, most of the cops are too fearful of lawsuits knowing the city won't back them up in any way, shape, or form to actually do their jobs right. And the fact that the city hired someone with NO patrol experience to run one of the nation's largest police departments doesn't help either. The morale for that department is awful right now. Until something changes, the gangs will continue to take over.

I don't know about the point of view of the officers, but DC has a Chief of Police that the residents of the city seem to love. She took over in 2006. Now I'm going to wiki, but it looks like she started as a foot patrolman in MPD (DC's police force) in 1990 and worked her way up the ranks, all within MPD. She seems to be tough on crime, communicates well with DC residents and seems to be well liked.

Quote:
She has advanced academic degrees from the Johns Hopkins University and the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, where she completed a Masters in Security Studies; her thesis was Preventing Terror Attacks in the Homeland: A New Mission for State and Local Police. She also attended the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University and is a graduate of the FBI Academy and the University of the District of Columbia.
Chief Lanier rose to her position from humble beginnings: she was a junior high school dropout after ninth grade, and an unwed mother at the age of 15.

This is pretty off-topic, I guess. But loosely related. I guess just to point out that people do seem to respond to someone who does have the experience you're saying Chicago's Chief lacks.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote