Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #51
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Didn't I post a link to Celine Dion singing AC/DC??? Lemm go look, but that has to be without a doubt the worst ever.

I stand corrected, this is now the worst cover I have ever heard - god that was truely awful

CAsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:30 PM   #52
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Want to hear bad? Duran Duran's "Thank You" is an album of covers. Some are really bad, but nothing is quite as bad as "Lay Lady Lay." My wife is a big Duranie and she runs screaming from the room when that comes on.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #53
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Celine Dion doing AC/DC has got to be the hands down worst. I also liked the Ugly Kid Joe remake of Cats in the Cradle. As far as groups whos songs are better when remade, I say The Who.

I haven't heard the Madonna one, but I can pretty much agree that it has to be bad.

I also think that the Cheryl Crow remake of the G & R song wasn't bad. But then again, any remake of their song has to be better than the original.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 PM   #54
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
You asked for it:

http://www.buffworks.com/sounds/The_...ng_My_Baby.mp3

http://www.buffworks.com/sounds/The_...bled_Water.mp3

(not that these are the worst)

Last edited by Fritz : 04-16-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #55
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
dola, this is honestly the worst.

A cover of REM's We Walk by Steel Pole Bathtub.

http://www.buffworks.com/sounds/Stee...ub-We_Walk.mp3

Last edited by Fritz : 04-16-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #56
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
Also really hated the Whitney Houston cover of the Dolly Parton song (I forget its name)

You're talking about "I Will Always Love You".
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #57
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I will forever hold a grudge with TheLionKing. Curious as I am, I decided to listen to Avril Lavigne's "Chop Suey" cover. After listening to it, I have come to the conclusion that if death were a sound, it would sound just like that. Absolutely horrible. I wouldn't wish hearing that on my worst enemy
Old 04-17-2003, 01:01 AM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I haven't heard the Lavigne "Chop Suey" but then again, I wasn't a huge fan of the original.

The "Cats in the Cradle" from Ugly Kid Joe was pretty good, I thought.

Two really pain me. The Madonna "American Pie" is quite bad. However, I heard that hideous Sheryl Crowe "Sweet Child of Mine" a few days ago and just had to wretch. GNR didn't have more than a half dozen great songs for as big as they were- leave their good ones alone- remake something off the Spaghetti Incident since no one would care anyways.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:39 AM   #59
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

"The Star Spangled Banner" by just about anyone who's ever done it on national television.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:03 AM   #60
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
Best cover that I suspect most people here have never heard is a Beatles cover by a live side-project called 801 that featured Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera. Their take on "Tomorrow Never Knows" (called "TNK" on their album 801 Live) is a great remake of the original.

Great song. Then again, I am a Roxy Music addict.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #61
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by 3ric
I agree with Craptacular, her version of "You shook me all night long" is the worst. Ygh. *twitches*

The worst? That's an understatement. Celine Dion singing AC/DC is undoubtedly one of the signs of the coming Apocalypse.

Hmm. Rain of toads, check. War in the Middle East, check. Exceptionally overrated, untalented Canadian ballad singers doing covers of classic 70's metal tunes, check.

Batten down the hatches boys, and if you see a bright light, best say your prayers and approach it, the end is near.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:13 AM   #62
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

This one would probably annoy anyone who was actually a Van Halen fan (I'm not, and never was), but one of the funniest covers I've ever heard was Aztec Camera's downbeat, acoustic version of "Jump."
Old 04-18-2003, 07:12 AM   #63
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

This thread should have ended right then and there when Craptacular re-posted that hideous Celine Dion link. Anyone who posted any other song afterward needs to have his head examined.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:24 AM   #64
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
This thread should have ended right then and there when Craptacular re-posted that hideous Celine Dion link. Anyone who posted any other song afterward needs to have his head examined.

you obviously did not follow my links.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:43 AM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have to agree with American Pie.

As much as I love The Chili Peppers they did a cover of Brown Eyed Girl that was terrible.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #66
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
you obviously did not follow my links.

Bad really bad, but I still think Celine Dion is worse.
One that omes close to Celine Dion - anyone remember the puppets 'Pinky and Perky' and their terrible version of 'Yellow Submarine'
Old 04-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #67
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Actually I think the worst cover is a Jimi Hendrix/Jim Morrison cover of "Tomorrow Never Knows" my god...a drunken Morrison rambling in a slurred mumbling, over a wah fuzz of Hendrix that seems to be way out of whack...

The drugs man...the drugs.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #68
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

All of the covers done by Hayseed Dixie (the AC/DC bluegrass band) and also all of the covers done by the awful Dread Zeppelin (raggae/elvis inspired zeppelin covers).
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #69
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Killebrew
All of the covers done by Hayseed Dixie (the AC/DC bluegrass band) and also all of the covers done by the awful Dread Zeppelin (raggae/elvis inspired zeppelin covers).

Hey, I kind of like Dread Zeppelin! There's also this British guy who goes by "The King" who redid songs liks Sweet Home Alabama and Come as You Are...

hxxp://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/thekingmusic.htm
Old 01-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #70
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Don't forget Dread Zeppelin's disco years!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #71
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Bad covers really have to be divided into three categories:

* Covers by members of the cast from "Star Trek": From Leonard Nimoy's "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."

* Superstar covers: This is where Celine Dion singing AC/DC and Britney Spears singing "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" belong. They may be bad, but these even at the worst of these are better than covers in the other two categories.

* Non-musicians and B-list musicians covers. This would include things like Jim Carrey's "I am the Walrus" and anything by Telly Savalas. Personally, the record for worst cover should always include the words "Toni" and "Tenille." During my radio days, we got a promo copy of a CD of covers from Mrs. Tenille that I think was so awful they decided not to actually release it.

Any cover that makes it to radio doesn't even belong on the list of worst covers, in my book.

And no, Kodos -- no one has ever improved on a Beatles cover. They are all inferior.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-06-2004 at 02:35 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #72
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I can't believe no one has called out Dolly Parton for her "Stairway to Heaven" interpretation.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #73
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Does anyone else think that most Beatles covers come out better than the originals?

This is probably the most outrageous question ever. If I were running this board, you'd be in the penalty box.

The Beatles were nearly perfect, which is why almost all covers sound like absolute trash in comparison to the original.

I think Joe Cocker's "with a little help from my friends" is the best Beatles cover. He pretty much makes the song it's own, rather than just trying to imitate a perfect original.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #74
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Sounding like I may get lynched for stating, yes, I Dislike The Beatles.

And while there are some truly bad covers. I still cringe in utter pain every time I think of Metallica doing Whiskey in the Jar.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #75
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
This is probably the most outrageous question ever. If I were running this board, you'd be in the penalty box.

The Beatles were nearly perfect, which is why almost all covers sound like absolute trash in comparison to the original.

I think Joe Cocker's "with a little help from my friends" is the best Beatles cover. He pretty much makes the song it's own, rather than just trying to imitate a perfect original.

There are some good Beatles' covers. But none of them is as good as the original.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #76
Vince
Pro Starter

I absolutely cringed when I heard that Limp Bizkit redid The Who's Behind Blue Eyes.

That being said, it's actually not all that terrible.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #77
Ksyrup

No one knows what it's like, to be a fuckhead

But I do - and I blame absolutely no one else but myself.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #78
sabotai
General Manager

The Beattles suck.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #79
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Vanilla Ice covering his own song, this time doing it heavy metal. Ugh. The first sucked, but WOW, the second, damn.

As for System of a Down and Nu-Metal in general, it's just about it done for. It's canceling each other out. The painful trend is finally nearing an end.

And for any hardcore music fans, perhaps an actual good tribute CD will be out in March as hardcore music pays tribute to Guns n Roses. I heard "Sweet Child O'Mine" by Most Prescious Blood (A live version) and it was awesome, this CD has definite possibilites.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:05 PM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And yeah, I am not a Beatles fan either.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #81
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
I absolutely cringed when I heard that Limp Bizkit redid The Who's Behind Blue Eyes.

No, it's just simply abysmal.

I'm waiting for Kid Rock and The Great Short One himself to do a collaboration of Marshall Tucker songs. Fred can handle all the parts that require rapping.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #82
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
As for System of a Down and Nu-Metal in general, it's just about it done for. It's canceling each other out. The painful trend is finally nearing an end.

It may be splitting hairs, but I see SoaD as one of the few nu-metal bands with some substantive, redeeming qualities. Toxicity is a great metal album.

Speaking of trends in hard rock/metal, has anyone heard The Darkness? It's like late 70's/early 80's hard rock/metal, just serious enough that you know it's not a Tenacious D-type band, but campy enough that you're wondering whether Michael McKean is writing the songs. And the falsetto the guy sings with - wow! This album is at BB for only $8 and it's well worth it if you like Cock Rock. Get Your Hands Off My Woman (M*therf*cker) is a classic already.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #83
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I don't actually mind System, but bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc, can't stand.

System's S/T album is excellent, and Toxicity is solid, but it just got overplayed for me to hear.

And the Darkness are a fun band to listen too, not one I'd call amazing, but I do think they're pretty talented. 3 Inches of Blood is another band who's 80's cock rock but insane as hell.

Just noting a band I saw last month with Himsa and the Black Dahlia Murder.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Smash Mouth....well anything those bitches covered.

Especially that beatles song "Getting Better" from Shat in the Hat.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #85
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lol, "I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth made me cringe.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #86
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Shatner's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is worse.

The thought of this scares me.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #87
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
A buddy of mine's wife has a Michael Bolton CD that he apparently covers the Beatles Yesterday on. I can't imagine that that would be pleasent.

Considering that Michael Bolton is the Anti-Christ, I suspect this might be an understatement.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #88
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Hey, I kind of like Dread Zeppelin!

I guess I should be fair, I was actually a big fan until I heard one of their CD's.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:48 PM   #89
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Pat Boone's whole album of heavy metal cover songs. That album alone was so bad they must have waived the waiting period and inducted him straight into the worst cover songs hall of shame, for both sheer horribleness and quantity.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #90
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Pat Boone In a Metal Mood

I scare my students with that stuff. I also threaten to play William Shatner for them if they misbehave.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #91
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince

I'm a fan of the song.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 PM   #92
SlapBone
High School JV

Travis doing "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

It is funny as hell though. Delightfully butchered.

I also mentioned "Take the Money and Run" by Killdozer. This is my favorite but only because they absolutely suck. It was bands like killdozer that once made me believe I could be a rock star.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #93
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by SlapBone
Travis doing "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

Like Britney, everyone seems to have tapped that. Fountains of Wayne and Type O Negative have both covered that song.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:21 AM   #94
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

by the way, on the Dixie Chicks' cover of Landslide...The Smashing Pumpkins already did that cover, with much better results IMO. It's almost like the Dixie Chicks did a cover of the Smashing Pumpkins' cover of Landslide.

Last edited by yabanci : 01-07-2004 at 12:22 AM.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:57 AM   #95
Groundhog
Coordinator

Perhaps a little obscure, but German 70's rock group Birth Control do a truly awful cover-version of The Doors' Light My Fire. It must be heard to be believed.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:10 AM   #96
jerem77
Mascot

Julio Iglesias

Light My Fire

Discussion Over.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #97
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Other bad covers that haven't been mentioned.

The Peter etCetera-led Chicago turning the classic 25 or 6 to 4 into a slow, plodding adult contemporary piece of garbage that was a waste of radio waves.

Prince covering Sinead O'Conner's Nothing Compares 2U. Granted, not a great song in the first place, but the interesting note is that Prince wrote the darn thing and still managed to butcher his own song.

Nothing's worse than a band/artist destroying one of their own songs.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #98
Tigercat
College Starter

Madonnas is the worst because it was actually widely distributed as a single.

There are also some pretty bad covers of brown eyed girl that have gotten radio play over the years.(Everclear and Jimmy Buffet)

I actually like Aerosmith's cover of come together more, its got more soul, which matches well with the spirit of the song, IMO.

Then there is that horrible Doors tribute CD i've listened to a couple of times, yuck. Has there ever really been a good tribute CD?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:20 AM   #99
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Like Britney, everyone seems to have tapped that. Fountains of Wayne and Type O Negative have both covered that song.

Fountains of Wayne made it a legitemate song. It was impressive. i also give them major credit for avoiding selling out.

They were originally going to release "hit me baby..." as a b-side to a single off their 2nd album. When the record label told them they would push that ("hit me baby..") as the single itself, the band decided not to release it at all. I don't believe that it's ever been "officially" released to this day.

I guess the good karma brought them the surprising hit that "Stacy's Mom" has been. As annoying as it is to have every moron I know think they know the band now, they deserve every record sale they get, for past works alone.

I just pray this doesn't completely change the sound of their next album.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:18 PM   #100
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WussGawd
This one would probably annoy anyone who was actually a Van Halen fan (I'm not, and never was), but one of the funniest covers I've ever heard was Aztec Camera's downbeat, acoustic version of "Jump."

That belongs on the list of best covers.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote