Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #51
Galaxy
Coordinator

How much is the cap going up this year? Any good sites that list the caps and player salaries?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-19-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #52
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

So, is Chicago as completely fucked as they seem? I've heard they are abour $4M over the cap with 14 players signed and in real hell, but didn't know.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #53
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Arnott back to NJ for Halischuk + pick
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #54
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
How much is the cap going up this year? Any good sites that list the caps and player salaries?

I am a big fan of CapGeek.com - NHL salary cap calculator, buyout calculator, free agents and more!

Bettman has said it could go up by $2M, so about $58.8. But that depends on a vote by the NHLPA to invoke that 5% escrow clause again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
So, is Chicago as completely fucked as they seem? I've heard they are abour $4M over the cap with 14 players signed and in real hell, but didn't know.

Define completely

If they can get someone to take Campbell's contract and Huet (or burying Huet in the AHL for 2 years) they'd open a boatload of space. But, that isn't happening.

So, most likely two of Sharp, Versteeg and Byfuglien are gone, and probably one of the two RFAs, Ladd and Hjarlmarsson.

How it happened? Alot, IMO, is tied to the fuck up last summer, when the RFA deals for Versteeg, Byfuglien, Barker, etc were not valid by league rules. Those, at that time, were qualifying offers to retain the players rights for this past season, and were 10% raises on the prior season's contracts. Rather than lose all those players, they had to sign them to market level deals rather than have them become UFAs. That is how all 3 of them went from what should have been $900K salaries to $3M+ salaries.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think I said this before, but maybe no one responded. I thought you couldn't bury a contract in AHL unless it's a two way deal? That would seem to be a major loophole in the CBA if it exists.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #56
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's my understanding of it too, unless something changed after the lockout.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #57
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

You can waive any player (unless he has a no movement clause), and should he clear, demote him to the AHL. One there, you still must pay his salary, but it does not count against the cap.

The exception to that, any player signed to a deal at the age of 35 or older, no matter where he is, counts against the cap. This is to stop teams from signing a 36 year old player to a 10 year/$35M deal to lessen the cap hit, rather than a 4 year/$20M deal.

Also, once the player is in the minors, he can be re-called. He is then exposed to re-entry waivers. A team claiming him on re-entry would be responsible for 50% of the remaining pro-rated salary, and therefore, cap hit for the season.

Last season, happened with Randy Jones. I think his deal was worth $2.75M. Philly puts him on waivers, goes unclaimed, reports to AHL. Philly then recalls him, LA claims him. For convenience, say it occurs Jan 1st, halfway through the season.

He is owed $1.375M for the remainder of the year. LA would pay the full $1.375, but only $687K counts against Kings cap number. The other 687K counts against Philly.

So yes, it is a loophole. However, not many teams want to pay a guy millions to not play. Could happen come October with Huet, due $5.625M for two more seasons.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think I said this before, but maybe no one responded. I thought you couldn't bury a contract in AHL unless it's a two way deal? That would seem to be a major loophole in the CBA if it exists.

I don't think I'd consider this a "major loophole". While it definitely gives the richer clubs an edge, so long as they are willing to pay someone a lot of money for not playing, I think it is necessary to allow teams to get under the cap at times. I could see a team really being hamstrung if it didn't have this option.

I think Chicago will try to trade Huet, but unless they give the other team a lot in return, I don't see it happening. So, they bury him in the AHL.

Like SR said, the Chicago problem has a lot to do with the RFA screw up last year and because of the big money contracts they signed guys like Campbell and Huet to. Neither player will ever live up to their respective deal. Yes, the Hossa deal is a lot of money, but, arguably, he's worth it. The other two, not so much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #59
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Arnott and Hamhuis gone? So begins the annual purge of talent from Nashville, yet, some how, they will still manage to be competitive.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #60
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens retain Matt Cooke, 3 years $1.8M per. A decent bump from $1.2, but probably still below market.

Also yesterday, signed (The Reverend) Ben Lovejoy to a 3 year deal, $525K per. He's almost assured of being the #6 guy on D next year, nothing left to really do in the AHL (9 goals, 29 pts on an average WBS team last year, something absurd like +48 the year before), he's 26, and most importantly, he's a cheap contract to play on the third pair.

Right now looking like this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
XXXXX- Malkin - XXXXX
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Adams
Godard

Letang - Orpik
XXXXX - XXXXX
Goligoski - Lovejoy

Fleury
Johnson

With $8.5M to spend. Talk is they want to keep Gonchar, but he wants around the $5M he got the last five seasons, and that kills that cap. They are pretty much forced to put at least one rookie in the lineup with Crosby/Malkin if that is the case.

Wouldn't be shocked to see them try and move Dupuis. He's a nice player, and at $1.4M not a huge cost. But, he really shouldn't be in the top 6. Problem is, neither should Talbot, Cooke etc. Tyler Kennedy might deserve a shot there.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #61
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nathan Horton and another player will be headed to Boston.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #62
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Horton and Gregory Campbell for Dennis Wideman, 15th overall pick and another draft pick. Done.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #63
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Who are Horton and Campbell? I'm surprised to see the B's move that 15th pick - word was they wanted to move up to try to grab one of the big defensemen.

instead they dump it along with wideman for a couple of wingers, one of whom (campbell) doesn't even look that good.

strange trade.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-22-2010 at 01:23 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #64
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm glad Wideman is gone. Losing the 15th overall pick hurts, though. Horton is a solid acquisition and Greg Campbell should fill the 4th line center position that Yelle/Begin filled the last two years.

Now let's see who the Bruins get for Timmy Thomas.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #65
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Who are Horton and Campbell? I'm surprised to see the B's move that 15th pick - word was they wanted to move up to try to grab one of the big defensemen.

instead they dump it along with wideman for a couple of wingers, one of whom (campbell) doesn't even look that good.

strange trade.

Horton has scored 20 + goals every season on bad teams. Still young too. Playing with Savard I could see him net 35 or so.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #66
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Horton has scored 20 + goals every season on bad teams. Still young too. Playing with Savard I could see him net 35 or so.

Fair enough. I figured he was the "good player" in the trade. Cuz it sure wasn't Campbell.

Losing that #15 hurts, but maye they have a line on something going down with Thomas that'll fill the D-slot, or replenish the draft pick?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #67
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Other news

Niedermayer set to retire

NHLPA votes in the 5% escalator clause, cap set at $59.6M

That helps the Hawks, who can now afford to qualify Ladd. And maybe helps Pittsburgh hold onto Gonchar.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #68
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Plekanec re-signs in MTL $5M per, not sure on term yet
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #69
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Pat Quinn is now the Senior Hockey Advisor...whatever that means. Renney is now the head coach.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 06-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
DOLA

Plekanec re-signs in MTL $5M per, not sure on term yet

Six years.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

Horton is well worth the 15th overall IMO, and with Wideman going the other way doesn't add any salary. Great move by the Bruins.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #72
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres miss the boat again with Horton. Pathetic that this organization can't take the blinders off when it looks at its own players and grow some balls.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #73
MikeVic
Head Coach

Chicago may be in cap hell, but I think you can't argue that they got something out of it. I know there's different philosophies out there, but I believe if you have a chance to win but screw your team up for a couple of years after, you have to try to win it all. And it worked.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #74
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Chicago may be in cap hell, but I think you can't argue that they got something out of it. I know there's different philosophies out there, but I believe if you have a chance to win but screw your team up for a couple of years after, you have to try to win it all. And it worked.

Cap hell or not, at least they have most of the money invested wisely, i.e. really good hockey players, while there are several teams in similar circumstances who finished dead friggin' last!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #75
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Absolutely. You totally have to go for it, especially with the cap. Chicago had their "sweet spot" and it would have been foolish for them not to try and take full advantage of it. As far as I am concerned, if you manage to win it, all the bad signings or trades are just something to worry about another day.

This is especially true if you haven't won a championship in decades.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #76
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Cap hell or not, at least they have most of the money invested wisely, i.e. really good hockey players, while there are several teams in similar circumstances who finished dead friggin' last!!!

This is another good point. Sure, the Blackhawks are going to face some difficult decisions this summer and will lose some valuable pieces, but even after making the trades they need to make or what not, they will still be one of the top 3-4 teams in the NHL. Their core is still incredibly strong and, for the most part, very young and still getting better. They will also be getting some pieces back for whomever they trade.

This isn't like the Florida Marlins. They aren't going to fade into Bolivian.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #77
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pat Burns and Fred Shero not making the HHOF is a shame.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #78
bhlloy
Coordinator

I guess the thing with Chicago is they could have had that exact same team and not been in so much of cap hell if they just hadn't screwed up the qualifying offers to those three players, and one of their biggest contracts is to a guy who really didn't contribute that much (Huet).

But I completely agree with the theory. Way better to win a championship and tough it out for a few years than to be a team that is consistently a playoff team and never has the talent to really compete.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #79
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Huet is the only blemish on that roster, cap-wise...but at least they have a cheap, starting goalie to offset that faux-pas.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #80
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Huet is the only blemish on that roster, cap-wise.

*cough*BrianCampbell*cough*
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #81
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Huet is the only blemish on that roster, cap-wise...but at least they have a cheap, starting goalie to offset that faux-pas.

Well, had a cheap starting goalie. Niemi is getting $3M+ a year, which for a starter is still nice money...unless you are already $3M over the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Six years.

Montreal has 6 guys over the $5M mark now:

Plekanec, Gomez, Gionta, Cammillieri
Markov, Hamrlik

All of the sudden, they've spent $50M, and have only 14 players signed...and 7 of those D. Need to give Pouliot and Price new deals.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #82
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Not for long! Neimi want$ to get paid!

Niemi says "no" to Chicago? His agent raises that question while seeking long-term deal - Blackhawks Confidential

"Antti Niemi made the biggest news of the weekend, however. Not him exactly. His agent, Bill Zito, did the talking while Niemi told Chicago media he didn't want personally to say anything about a new contract. And since Zito said he has not bothered Niemi with contract talks right now, maybe it will be news to Niemi as well that he wants a long-term contract to re-sign with the club.

Zito said he wants the Hawks to sign Niemi to one of those Duncan Keith, Marian Hossa lifetime guarantees, lock him up for 13 years or so. Of course he does, but you can bet the Hawks are not going to do it with so much yet to be learned about Niemi.

Zito talked to the National Post in Canada. "He's going to get his money," Zito said about Niemi. "But the term is going to have something to do with it, too."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
*cough*BrianCampbell*cough*

Well, that's not so much a blemish as it is a massive discoloration of dried skin.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #83
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Whoops...hadn't seen that bit about Niemi wanting to cash in...good on him.

Regarding Campbell, he's still a really good hockey player and if they choose to deal him then they will certainly get some nice pieces back...overall, a good investment.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Whoops...hadn't seen that bit about Niemi wanting to cash in...good on him.

Regarding Campbell, he's still a really good hockey player and if they choose to deal him then they will certainly get some nice pieces back...overall, a good investment.

He's not horrible, but he's never going to play up to his contract. It's too big and too long (kind of like my Johnson).

You can't afford to pay your 3rd/4th defensement $7 million a year. His contract is at least $2-$3 million a year too big to justify his production and defensive play. I am not sure what they could get in return for him, because nobody else wants to be burdened by his contract. Even teams that are struggling to reach the cap floor don't want it becuase it's too long.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #85
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Darius Kasparaitis has retired, after sitting out all of last season in Russia

http://www.youtube.com/v/W61W4NZiRf4&amphl=en_US&ampfs=1[/url]&amp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

what the fuck am I doing wrong with the embed??????

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-22-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: stupid YT
Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #86
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the Campbell deal. He may be a decent defenseman, but at over $7m/year (until 2016), that's Chara/Lidstrom/Phaneuf money, and there's no way he's worth that kind of payola. You're going to have a hard time finding a GM willing to take on that contract.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #87
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He's not horrible, but he's never going to play up to his contract. It's too big and too long (kind of like my Johnson).

You can't afford to pay your 3rd/4th defensement $7 million a year. His contract is at least $2-$3 million a year too big to justify his production and defensive play. I am not sure what they could get in return for him, because nobody else wants to be burdened by his contract. Even teams that are struggling to reach the cap floor don't want it becuase it's too long.

Yeah, he's overpaid but somebody else would've overpaid had the Hawks not done it. While it looks really bad on a team like Chicago (who have guys like Keith and Seabrook back there already) there are plenty of teams who'd have him in their top pairing and playing first PP minutes. Chicago should be able to exploit one of those teams and all it will cost them is the cap space expended the last two seasons...so, whatever they do get will essentially be for free. Not bad at all.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 06-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #88
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/v/W61W4NZiRf4&ampamphl=en_US&ampampfs=1[/url]&ampamp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

This is a good question. I have tried to embed YouTube videos on here multiple times and have never, ever figured out how to do it. I've tried multiple things. It never works.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #89
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, he's overpaid but somebody else would've overpaid had the Hawks not done it. While it looks really bad on a team like Chicago (who have guys like Keith and Seabrook back there already) there are plenty of teams who'd have him in their top pairing and playing first PP minutes. Chicago should be able to exploit one of those teams and all it will cost them is the cap space expended the last two seasons...so, whatever they do get will essentially be for free. Not bad at all.

Like somebody said, we'll have to disagree. I don't see any sane GM taking that contract on given what it's going to be paying him when he's 35. Plus he has an NTC, which means any team that has the space to take him on he may veto anyway. He's probably in Chicago for the rest of that contract, like it or not.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #90
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a good question. I have tried to embed YouTube videos on here multiple times and have never, ever figured out how to do it. I've tried multiple things. It never works.

it will randomly work and then not work for me. frustrating shit.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #91
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Like who? I agree with everyone else in that nobody will take his contract and IF they do, they aren't going to send back fair trade value because of the contract. Buffalo let him go because they thought he wasn't worth that coin.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #92
Travis
Pro Rookie

Coming out via numerous of the "official" sources (Dreger RT kausatoday) on twitter that the Sharks are not tendering Nabokov and will go another direction in net. If that is indeed the situation that's a pretty big changeup.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #93
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Like who? I agree with everyone else in that nobody will take his contract and IF they do, they aren't going to send back fair trade value because of the contract. Buffalo let him go because they thought he wasn't worth that coin.

Buffalo lets everybody go!! How's that working out for them??

You guys are missing the point...anything they get back is gravy...he didn't cost them anything to acquire in the first place.

Anaheim, Dallas, and Colorado (off the top of my head) all have space and a need.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #94
bhlloy
Coordinator

We're not missing the point, we're saying they aren't going to get anything back. Nobody wants to be paying a decent defenseman over 7 million a year when he's 35-36 years old. It's just not a good trade for anyone, no matter how much space they have right now.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #95
bbor
Pro Starter

If the Sharks had Cap room Huet and Campbell would be a good fit to replace Nabby and the retired Rob Blake.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #96
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
If the Sharks had Cap room Huet and Campbell would be a good fit to replace Nabby and the retired Rob Blake.

That's like trying to replace a Chalupa and Gordita with a stalk of celery and a single slider from White Castle. No way!

(I was trying to use an analogy that would really hit home for you. )
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #97
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/v/W61W4NZiRf4&amphl=en_US&ampfs=1[/url]&amp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Is the timestamp bug back?!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #98
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The cap increase should help the Flyers sign Coburn and Hamhuis...their defense may be the best in the league.

Pronger - Carle
Coburn - Timmonen
Hamhuis - Bartuillis
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #99
bhlloy
Coordinator

Pretty strange HOF class - Burns must have pissed a lot of people off to not get the sympathy vote as he's clearly got enough to get in eventually, and both Nieuwendyk and Gilmour have resumes far far superior to Ciccarelli (even before you consider Dino's off ice issues). Not sure I understand either of those decisions.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #100
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man, so much seemed to be happening today in the hockey world, it's really easy to miss that one of the best defensemen to play the game (or at least certainly in this recent era) has now officially retired.

I'll miss you, Scotty. You were a great player for the Ducks, and even better for the Devils before that. A complete winner and total class at all times. In five years (or whatever the wait period is), you will join the NHL Hall of Fame first ballot, and rightfully.

There's a reason why every time some kid comes along who skates smoothly and effortlessly with speed, or who makes great plays or runs great power plays from the point, the scouts say "he could be a young Niedermayer".

Let me ask all Ducks, Devils and plain hockey fans to raise a figurative toast to a terrific player and captain in Scotty Niedermayer.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-23-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote