Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #51
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I work as a code monkey for a company that prints shelf tags to the majority of retailers in the US. My job is to take the data and translate it into our printing setup so that we can print the tags.

I also referee soccer on the side.

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #52
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I speak into a microphone.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not much lately.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #54
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I help maintain an e-commerce website for a company that sells different things related to government regulations and that sort of thing, as well as work on other smaller C#/ASP.NET apps around the company.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #55
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I’m a financial controller; now if you’ll excuse me the 2010 budget is due on the 16th and I still need to find 300k in cuts to make.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #56
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Sys Ad at an area school district (not Seattle).
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #57
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

There is a lot of tech geeks on here.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #58
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
There is a lot of tech geeks on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #59
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Full time student at the University of Washington. Decided to go back to school and get my history degree and eventually teach. I am very lucky that my wife makes enough for us to do this. I graduate in June with my BA and with the family addition on the way my teaching aspirations will be temporarily on hold and I will be looking for a job as soon as I am done rather than go right back for my teaching certification. We will be moving a year later, so not much point.

In a previous life I was 1 of 2 new store opening consultants for a major casual dining franchise, in charge of all training at any new locations. Before that I was a new store opening trainer and bartender for that same company. Sometime traveling 5-6 weeks at a time 7-10 times a year. Decent job, but a ton of travel. I also make money playing poker on the side, but not so much anymore.

I do miss bartending on the Jersey Shore, while not only fun, I could make more in 3 nights than most people made in a week.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #60
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I work with Internet Security Compliance, along with a variety of other little tech geek stuff. However, after reading what some of you others are doing, I am quite sure that I am the dumbest one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #61
Daimyo
College Starter

By day I manage the group responsible for IT infrastructure (servers, storage, networking, databases, security, etc) for my organization. By night I'm a part time MBA student.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I work part time at Sears, selling TVs and such

I also deliver medicine around at night to old people in nursing homes(this one, unlike Sears, actually pays the bills).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #63
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I’m a financial controller; now if you’ll excuse me the 2010 budget is due on the 16th and I still need to find 300k in cuts to make.

Dude, that's an easy one. Just take it from the excessively rich!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #64
Tigercat
College Starter

Teach part time, spend the rest of the time volunteering in a nearby national park. Hope to be working full time there or in another park within a year.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #65
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

First-year law student. Started after working in financial journalism. Have an educational background in both business and journalism.

Last edited by lcjjdnh : 10-08-2009 at 05:26 PM.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #66
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a bus systems lead engineer for geostationary satellites. Basically, I'm a jack of all, master of none on the satellite. I get to oversee the technical aspects of the satellite (mass, power consumption, propellant usage by design, etc) as well as the hardware and software aspects (knowing how each subsystem works and how they work together and how to find and fix problems when they arise). I also get to do cool stuff like test the satellite out after the launch, teach our customers how to operate our satellites, and get a hand in troubleshooting most problems that come up (which is fun). Unfortunately, this also puts me as the person who gets called at 2 in the morning when/if there's a problem...

I started in this company in one of the design subsystems, which I think ends up giving me a bit of a leg-up for my current job.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 10-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm a bus systems lead engineer for geostationary satellites. Basically, I'm a jack of all, master of none on the satellite. I get to oversee the technical aspects of the satellite (mass, power consumption, propellant usage by design, etc) as well as the hardware and software aspects (knowing how each subsystem works and how they work together and how to find and fix problems when they arise). I also get to do cool stuff like test the satellite out after the launch, teach our customers how to operate our satellites, and get a hand in troubleshooting most problems that come up (which is fun). Unfortunately, this also puts me as the person who gets called at 2 in the morning when/if there's a problem...

I started in this company in one of the design subsystems, which I think ends up giving me a bit of a leg-up for my current job.

/tk

Ever work on something like Moonraker?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #68
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:

/tk

Don't be modest TK....we all know you're a rocket scientist.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #69
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That IT guy buried behind barbed wired fence, land mines and concrete walls. For a company that specializes in energy conservation. We are growing by about 25-30% on a yearly basis, up to about 500 employees. We had less than half of that just a couple years ago. Company has been around for 25 years, but just very recently has started shooting for the stars.

I'm pretty much given a blank check to purchase and implement any project or idea I want, and have garnered enough respect to rarely be questioned .

Life is grand.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #70
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Ever work on something like Moonraker?

I'm embarrassed to say I had to google this. From a perspective of in-orbit rendezvous, I don't currently do any of that but definitely did some conceptual design and mission determination while in school. From the perspective of a plot to take over the world....well, my satellites bring you television, so in a way, I kind of am, right?

/tk
Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #71
path12
Coordinator

Planner for an apparel company. Basically my job is to forecast and plan retail performance, analyzing and improving retailers sales plans while maintaining margin goals for both my company and our retailers and making sure all inventories stay in line.

In other words, I spend way too much time doing Excel spreadsheets.

Last edited by path12 : 10-08-2009 at 06:11 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #72
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say I had to google this. From a perspective of in-orbit rendezvous, I don't currently do any of that but definitely did some conceptual design and mission determination while in school. From the perspective of a plot to take over the world....well, my satellites bring you television, so in a way, I kind of am, right?

/tk

So no satellites to poison the population?

And I thank you for bringing to my living room hours of mindless entertainment.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #73
Danny
Head Coach

I am in graduate school for a M.S in School Psychology combined with a P.P.S credential and NASP certification. Currently in my second year taking 17 units and doing my fieldwork. I love the job as I have experienced it so far.

Previously I have worked as a behavior therapist for 1.5 years, a checker at a grocery store for 1.5 years, a web admin for Grey Dog for 2 years and sport referee, kid baby sitter at the YMCA for a year or so.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #74
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I am a full time nursing student.

Awesome. I cannot emphasize enough how much I respect people who go into nursing.

/tk
Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
That IT guy buried behind barbed wired fence, land mines and concrete walls. For a company that specializes in energy conservation. We are growing by about 25-30% on a yearly basis, up to about 500 employees. We had less than half of that just a couple years ago. Company has been around for 25 years, but just very recently has started shooting for the stars.

I'm pretty much given a blank check to purchase and implement any project or idea I want, and have garnered enough respect to rarely be questioned .

Life is grand.

you guys hiring? Say in June?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #76
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

We've been constantly hiring by the several dozen for the last year and have offices in Portland and Seattle . Portlands really our west coast headquarters. Don't see it slowing down. We are turning down work because we don't have the staff to support it. Despite the constant additions.

I am really very curious to see where this ride ends up.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
We've been constantly hiring by the several dozen for the last year and have offices in Portland and Seattle . Portlands really our west coast head quarters. Don't see it slowing down. We are turning down work because we don't have the staff to support it. Despite the constant additions.

hmmmm, we may move to Ma. next also....
Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #78
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
hmmmm, we may move to Ma. next also....

I hope you enjoy taxes!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #79
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:
Awesome. I cannot emphasize enough how much I respect people who go into nursing.

/tk

Thanks tk!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #80
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've been working in "security" for nearly 6 years now. It's a pretty broad kind of security, though I'd say 90% of it relates to IT, mostly of the audit kind. My real interest is more on the technical IT side of things, and I'd like to go back to that one day.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #81
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I hope you enjoy taxes!

I'm from New Jersey
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I've been working in "security" for nearly 6 years now. It's a pretty broad kind of security, though I'd say 90% of it relates to IT, mostly of the audit kind. My real interest is more on the technical IT side of things, and I'd like to go back to that one day.

you mean to tell me you guys don't all hunt alligators and shit?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #83
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

IT Security auditors... So you are the people who make my life miserable.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #84
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

lol. Get yourself CISSP certified, then start making the big bucks writing vague mandates that other people are then forced to implement . Everyone loves those guys.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #85
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
lol. Get yourself CISSP certified, then start making the big bucks writing vague mandates that other people are then forced to implement . Everyone loves those guys.

I was actually CISSP certified a while back, but I let the certification lapse. You have to renew it every few years (I think it was 3 or 4). It really wasn't the path that I wanted to continue with my career. I'm currently working on my CCIE Security exam, as I'm actually the only person in my team without a CCIE right now, even though I'm paid equal to them. I'd like to finish it mostly just to say that I did finish it at this point.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #86
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I'm an assistant professor of psychology, though on Tuesday of this week I submitted my tenure and promotion application (I should have final word on whether I get tenure/promoted to associate professor sometime in April). My specialty is in brain/behavior relationships, psychophysiology, and emotion. I'm also the chair of my department (which, I should add, is not an enviable position for an untenured faculty member).

I'm also a licensed clinical psychologist and provide consultative services to the state agency that administers the federal disability insurance program. I help them to determine who is - and who is not - disabled due to a serious mental illness.

In the evenings I fight crime.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #87
RedKingGold
College Starter

I just passed the bar exam to practice law in Pennsylvania (found out today, actually) and am focusing on labor and employment law (mainly labor relations).

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-08-2009 at 10:58 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I just passed the bar exam to practice law in Pennsylvania (found out today, actually) and am focusing on labor and employment law (mainly labor relations).

congrats!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #89
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

congrats RKG
Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #90
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I work in IT as an ETL (Extract,Transform,Load) tech lead. Basically, my team moves data.

Right now, we're doing a lot of work moving data from our mainframe source system and making it available for web applications. I've done pretty cool stuff the last couple of years.

This is basically my job title. Thankfully we are mostly (98%) off mainframe at this point. Most of our stuff comes from batch processes that generate or receive flat files, processes that link to other source systems with some real-time feeds thrown in as well.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #91
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

We do that shit for survival, not as a profession!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #92
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
IT Security auditors... So you are the people who make my life miserable.

Oh believe me, they make mine hell as well. We're not really auditors. I guess you could say we sort of sit between IT and Audit, really. We have a good relationship with IT and it's our job to sort of make sure everything is in order and processes are being followed for when the IT auditors come around and start making everybody's life a living hell. Not that it ever stops that happening anyway...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #93
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well I am an internet marketing consulting, selling my companies marketing solution to entrepreneurs and small business owners.

I also sell online with my own sites to generate residual income.

I love what I do, but it is beginning to wear on me. I have traveled for work for almost 10 years now, looking to get back into a desktop environment either web dev, seo work or business analyst.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #94
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

project director for small software company, basically a project manager + business development
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #95
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm actually working on that right now.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #96
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I guess I'm technically a business analyst. My clients are the North American division of a very large international confectionery company, as well as a relatively small tobacco company. The company that actually writes my checks has a couple dozen clients, but I only work on two of them, and I have no access to the data for my clients' competitors. The top concern of my employer is the confidentiality of data, and we are all very careful to avoid conflicts of interest.

I have a hard time describing what I do, so I just simplify it. I basically tell the confectionery company where to sell their products, and I tell the tobacco company where their products aren't selling. It's much more involved than that, but you people don't have all day to listen to me.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #97
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't know about the alligators, but I certainly hope he shits.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I guess I'm technically a business analyst. My clients are the North American division of a very large international confectionery company, as well as a relatively small tobacco company. The company that actually writes my checks has a couple dozen clients, but I only work on two of them, and I have no access to the data for my clients' competitors. The top concern of my employer is the confidentiality of data, and we are all very careful to avoid conflicts of interest.

I have a hard time describing what I do, so I just simplify it. I basically tell the confectionery company where to sell their products, and I tell the tobacco company where their products aren't selling. It's much more involved than that, but you people don't have all day to listen to me.

And here I just assumed you were the Funky Pumpy of America. How very disappointing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #99
TexasT
Mascot

Geez, a lot of technical stuff here! I'm a State Trooper.
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #100
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I'm a bean counter.

Literally (as an employee on the Kansas Department of Agriculture)