Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #51
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dayum. crazy. Yea I think he's going to be pretty good. Until they find out hes 19 and not 17... lol jk.

k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So are they gonna DH him? I mean, no one talks about whether he can catch or not and they rarely talk about his position when they mention him. I guess it doesn't matter, if he can rake, just wondering...
Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #53
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
So are they gonna DH him? I mean, no one talks about whether he can catch or not and they rarely talk about his position when they mention him. I guess it doesn't matter, if he can rake, just wondering...

He's a catcher but I would be shocked if he ends up there. I bet 1B/3B/RF in his future. Apparently his arm is tremendous so I can see RF.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #54
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Meet the next server for your order at McDonald's in 2012.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #55
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I hadn't realized that it was at the Power Showcase that Harper hit the 502 footer. It would be kind of neat to see that event become more established as a pro bellwether because my cousin actually won the damn thing this year. At this point he's probably a low round pick because he's committed to ASU, but it'll be fun to go back in about ten years and see if any finalists other than Harper and maybe the Bichette kid wind up with a pro career.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #56
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Meet the next server for your order at McDonald's in 2012.

Nah, with money that will be thrown at him, some team will give him until about 2015 - 2016 until they give up on him (assuming he can't hack it).

Also, maybe I haven't done enough research, but can the kid hit a curveball/other offspeed pitches? What kind of competition is in the league that he's playing in now?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #57
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

we see a lot of scouting of him.. from what I see he can legit catch. and more importantly that matters to him. I already know someone with a harper jersey....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #58
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
At this point he's probably a low round pick because he's committed to ASU,

Do you mean Arizona State, becuase I havent heard that we landed a commitment from him and cant find the link anywhere after a quick search. And even if true, it shouldnt effect his draft stock. Last year ASU lost over 12 million dollars in recruit value to the draft, including 3 first rounders. Committing is just a backup plan in case the draft doesnt work out, which it sounds like wont be a problem here.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #59
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Nah, with money that will be thrown at him, some team will give him until about 2015 - 2016 until they give up on him (assuming he can't hack it).

Also, maybe I haven't done enough research, but can the kid hit a curveball/other offspeed pitches? What kind of competition is in the league that he's playing in now?

He's 17 playing in a wood bat JUCO league. so he's facing 18-23 year olds, some of whom will end up at D-1 schools and some will be drafted. I am sure if he is that much better then everyone else in the league stat wise he can.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #60
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Committing is just a backup plan in case the draft doesnt work out, which it sounds like wont be a problem here.
It depends on the player/school. Stanford and Vanderbilt commits have the reputation for going to school to name two. A lot of good players fall low and sometimes the team gets lucky - Boston got Lars Anderson in the 19th round because no one thought he would sign, and we almost had Pedro Alvarez signed away from Vanderbilt in the 10th round (rumor was Boston offered 875k and he wanted 1m).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Do you mean Arizona State, becuase I havent heard that we landed a commitment from him and cant find the link anywhere after a quick search. And even if true, it shouldnt effect his draft stock. Last year ASU lost over 12 million dollars in recruit value to the draft, including 3 first rounders. Committing is just a backup plan in case the draft doesnt work out, which it sounds like wont be a problem here.

http://baseballdeworld.com/2010/01/2...howcase-crown/

Quote:
UNITED STATES – Arizona State signee Travis Flores edged Orangewood Christian slugger Dante Bichette Jr. on Jan. 10 to win the 2010 International High School Power Showcase Home Run Derby at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #62
Blade6119
Coordinator

Ahh, I thought he was referring to Harper, my mistake. And pretty cool for Flores actually, I had heard some good things about him from a friend.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #63
lungs
Pro Rookie

Dante Bichette Jr...... wicked. Do I remember him being in the LLWS in the recent past?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Dante Bichette Jr...... wicked. Do I remember him being in the LLWS in the recent past?

Yup in 2005.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #65
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

From Jayson Stark's latest column:

Jayson Stark: Rumblings and Grumblings -- Splitting up New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox a bad idea - ESPN

Quote:
Feel a draft? Ten months after Bryce Harper showed up on the cover of Sports Illustrated at age 16, we're getting the mounting sense that clubs at the top of this June's draft are almost beginning to look for reasons not to take this guy.

Harper
"Don't get me wrong. This kid projects as a starting catcher in the big leagues," said an executive of one of those teams. "But he's not the type of guy you want to pay three times the going rate for -- which is what Scott [Boras] is going to be looking for.

"I'll put it this way," the same exec went on. "With Alex Rodriguez, when you walked in to see him against high school competition, he separated himself. Ken Griffey separated himself. This kid is a good player. But he's not in a class with A-Rod and those guys. Not even close. … And with all the hype Scott has generated around him, he's going to walk in the door with a monkey on his back, and it's not going to ever go away."

No one disputes Harper's staggering raw power or arm strength. But the same exec said Harper's crazy numbers at the College of Southern Nevada (.426 average, .521 on-base percentage, 12 homers in 115 at-bats) should be taken with an entire shaker of salt.

"Yeah, he's got great numbers," the exec said. "But to be honest, I've seen better high school pitchers in the top programs than the guys he faced when I saw him. Every weekend, he's basically going against one decent pitcher and three stiffs. So his numbers are a little inflated."

Nevertheless, with no clear alternative, it's going to take some serious guts for the Nationals not to take Harper No. 1, considering all the buzz that has built up around him. But of course, that's exactly what Boras had in mind when he unleashed that buzz.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #66
NewIdentity
High School JV

Funny, am I the only one that remembered another great High School Baseball player that batted around .491 and could also probably throw the ball 96 mph?

Hall of Famer John Elway.

I wonder if Bryce has ever picked up a football, or if his dad has never even allowed him anywhere near a football field.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #67
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Keith Law did a pretty good job of crushing this.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #68
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just saw this about Harper elsewhere:

Went 6-6 with 4 HR and 9 RBI tonight to get his team into the JUCO World Series.

Last night he went 6-7 with a HR and hit for the cycle.

I know it's JUCO but he should be a HS Junior and is playing in a wood bat league. So sick.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
roids or not he is the best player of our generation, that and if 50% of the players are on roids.......

eras need to be judged with their contempraries.

i assume you are a sox fan... so you say no on manny and papi too?

I'd take Pujols over A-Rod 100 out of 100 times.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #70
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

BAt alone I agree, but A-Rod being a quality SS swings it in his favor.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #71
Blade6119
Coordinator

Count me in the Pujols crowd, any day of the week I would take him over A-Rod...alex is a great player, pujols is on a whole other level. And yes, he is also a top notch fielder, as evidenced by his golden gloves.
Demotivation
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #72
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Count me in the Pujols crowd, any day of the week I would take him over A-Rod...alex is a great player, pujols is on a whole other level. And yes, he is also a top notch fielder, as evidenced by his golden gloves.

Two errors today in one inning for that GGer. (Just giving you a hard time, I agree with the Pujols peeps).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #73
Easy Mac

How bout that Bryce Harper.

Bryce Harper ejected, and suspended, perhaps ending amateur career - Daily Pitch: MLB News, Standings, Schedules & More - USATODAY.com

edit:
Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXccEtfmerE

The call was horrible, but it is clear harper was being an ass.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 06-03-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #74
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sounds like any other umpire/batter argument to me.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Haven't seen any of the guys play.

That being said, I lean towards wanting the Pirates to take Pomeranz. I'd take a college lefty with good velocity, as he should hopefully be up within 2 years and above average.

I don't think the team is going to want to sign and pay a HS player, so I think Machado and Tallion are out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Yasmani Grandal, probably the top catcher is this draft, is demanding Buster Posey money. Interesting to see how the bonus situation plays itself out this year with Harper and guys like Grandal.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #77
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

A ball leaving a high performance metal bat on a solid hit is traveling upwards of 106-107 mph, while the same ball will leave a wood bat traveling 98-99 mph. That equates to about a 60-70 foot differential in distance traveled. It's simple science, and it's been proven many times over in studies. 502 feet with an aluminum bat equates to about 410-420 with a wood bat, taking into account the unusual bat speed of this kid. It's a long ways for a youngster to hit a ball, but it's not unheard of. What you're seeing here is an immense talent, but I'm just wondering what would happen if he faced some half-way decent pitching.

Some interesting reading...http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/.../alumwood.html

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #78
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
A ball leaving a high performance metal bat on a solid hit is traveling upwards of 106-107 mph, while the same ball will leave a wood bat traveling 98-99 mph. That equates to about a 60-70 foot differential in distance traveled. It's simple science, and it's been proven many times over in studies. 502 feet with an aluminum bat equates to about 410-420 with a wood bat, taking into account the unusual bat speed of this kid. It's a long ways for a youngster to hit a ball, but it's not unheard of. What you're seeing here is an immense talent, but I'm just wondering what would happen if he faced some half-way decent pitching.

Some interesting reading...http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats-new/alumwood.html
That is all interesting, but Bryce Harper plays for SNCC, which is in a Wooden Bat League
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
Old 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #79
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
That is all interesting, but Bryce Harper plays for SNCC, which is in a Wooden Bat League

I was referring to the moon shots he was hitting when he was in high school, which is an Aluminum Bat League. He's hitting a lot of dingers in College, oh excuse me Community College, but they aren't moonshots.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I was referring to the moon shots he was hitting when he was in high school, which is an Aluminum Bat League. He's hitting a lot of dingers in College, oh excuse me Community College, but they aren't moonshots.

Kid is 17 playing against some guys who will play pro ball one day. Maybe not MLB but for sure minors. I think he has an incredibly high bust factor but I also think his ceiling is unlimited which is why I am so intrigued by watching him develop.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #81
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Even if they won't play pro ball, a lot of them will be playing D-1 in a year.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #82
NewIdentity
High School JV

By the way, here is the article from the local Grand Junction Paper, written by someone that was actually at the game.

2nd-fiddle win: Harper's ejection overshadows Gators' victory | GJSentinel.com
Quote:
Although the Gators did a lot of things right to win the game, the turning point came in the top of the fifth inning when Harper struck out looking, then was ejected by home plate umpire Don Gilmore. Harper’s coach, Tim Chambers, said his catcher didn’t say anything after the strikeout, but he clearly drew a line in the right-hand batter’s box with his bat, apparently suggesting where he thought the pitch was, as he headed to the dugout.

This is a little different than the above article about him throwing his bat down and having a meltdown.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 06-03-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like it's a toss up between Taillon, Machado and a "college arm" for the Pirates. I'd assume that doesn't mean Pomeranz. So either Deck Mcguire or Chris Sale could go #2 if they are willing to take slot money(or close). I think anyways.

I'd like Taillon i think, but HS pitchers are risky.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #84
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you'd like to let Machado fall to the Royals at 4, we'd be greatly appreciative

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #85
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm hoping for Machado. We need more high end bats. Well, we need another high end bat to team with Alvarez.

I'll be disappointed if we go with the college arm. I liked the strategy of getting a signable guy last season and using the money on prep arms, but this season there Machado and Taillon seem to be a cut above the non-Harper prospects. Last season, there was no consensus guy for the Bucs, so it didn't hurt to reach a little. And, I suspect that Tony Sanchez's performance to this point, along with the reports of his defense, have made the pick look a lot stronger than it did at the time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If you'd like to let Machado fall to the Royals at 4, we'd be greatly appreciative

SI

You guys already reached a deal with that Catcher I thought. Grandal?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really wish they would think about fast tracking Sanchez. Doumit's defense is so miserable. And with the lack of production in our lineup, he could easily move to first and be an upgrade for us.

I'd imagine they'll call Tony up to Altoona within the next month, hopefully he will still hit.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #88
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You guys already reached a deal with that Catcher I thought. Grandal?

Supposedly that report was denied today. But no one's really sure if that's because it's not true or if that's just to avoid tampering

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #89
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here's video of the Bryce Harper ejection. I think the umpire thought Bryce was trying to throw dirt at him with the bat.

I can see why he was upset, though. The call is absolutely abysmal.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #90
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

That is a horrible call. I think he was just trying to draw a line on where he thought the ball crossed. Either the ump thought he was trying to fling dirt, or Harper said a magic word.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #91
Logan
Head Coach

Everytime I see that video, I hope that it's some sort of mash-up put together by somebody, and not that there's a production crew somewhere who thinks it's a good idea to switch the camera FIVE different times in the course of one pitch.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #92
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Everytime I see that video, I hope that it's some sort of mash-up put together by somebody, and not that there's a production crew somewhere who thinks it's a good idea to switch the camera FIVE different times in the course of one pitch.

Bloody hell. I feel the same way.

Is anyone gonna watch the draft tonight? I am just to see what its like.

Can't wait to hear my wife's first comment when she sees what it is.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #93
Logan
Head Coach

I caught it last year when I was first realizing how cool MLB Network can be. Pretty uneventful for this though.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #94
TroyF
Coordinator

Good lord that was a bad call. That wouldn't pass mustard in a little league game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #95
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah I saw that vid of Harper getting tossed last week. If Harper were batting right handed he would have gotten beaned. Just terrible.

I've never paid much attention to MLB drafts in years past, but I think this year I'm going to give it a go. It's on at what, 7pm EST?

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-07-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #96
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah I saw that vid of Harper getting tossed last week. If Harper were batting right handed he would have gotten beaned. Just terrible.

I've never paid much attention to MLB drafts in years past, but I think this year I'm going to give it a go. It's on at what, 7pm EST?

Yeah, 7pm EST
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #97
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

danke
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #98
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This is what makes the MLB Draft so laughable:

The Indians have topped the Royals' predraft offer of $2.9MM to Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal, reports Frankie Piliere of AOL Fanhouse. Piliere still believes the Royals will take Grandal at #4, but the original agreement is off. ESPN's Keith Law, meanwhile, heard that the Royals and Grandal had not even discussed money as of Saturday evening. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star tweets that the Royals prefer Grandal but are "taking a hard look" at Florida Gulf Coast lefty Chris Sale.

Teams have agreements with kids when they pick #4, and now another team behind KC has a deal with him? I love it.

Also, apparently Harper wants 20 mil or he will play for Clemson or LSU next season.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I do not expect to see Harper anywhere but with the Nats organization next year. Just the rumor mongering. I bet he gets like 13-15 mil some time in August.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #100
Swaggs
Coordinator

If Harper goest to a 4-year school after this season, how long does he have to wait to be draft eligible again?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote